Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DEMIURGOS, an alternate history RPG-adventure set in a modern Ancient Greece, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: DEMIURGOS: Path of the Leviathan

The eagle-eyed CryptRat first spotted DEMIURGOS: Path of the Leviathan on Steam Greenlight back in May. It's an "RPG-adventure" set in an alternate history in which the cultures of the ancient Greek world exist in a noirish mid-20th century industrial dystopia. It's a world riven by philosophical and social conflicts. To be honest, there's no other way to describe this game but "pretentious". It makes No Truce With The Furies look like casual fare. But it's not all talk. DEMIURGOS' creator, a German (because of course he is) known only as Daniel Bill, has just launched a Kickstarter campaign for it, and instead of a pitch video he's delivered a 21 minute(!) alpha gameplay demonstration. It reveals a remarkably impressive-looking game, focused mainly on dialogue and choice, although unlike No Truce it does have a turn-based combat system.

DEMIURGOS: Path of the Leviathan is a semi-historical, story and decision driven, dislinear game about Social Science, Politics and Philosophy that is set in a gradually opening, detailed and large world. The player roams this world and interacts with his environment like in an adventure game. At the same time, a large variety of RPG-Elements and -Mechanics like skills, quests, shops and turn based battles are implemented. The game's universe itself is a composite of the political ancient Greece during the Persian wars and the European "long 19. Century"; a time of political and social disturbances. After the downfall of the feudal system, great persons tried to build a completely new order upon its ruins that was to be ruled not by god or tradition, but by the ingenuity of mankind itself. Dominating questions and tendencies of that time ranged from Collectivism and Individualism on one side, Pluralism and Totalitarianism on the other. To take his place in history, make important decisions, struggle for the true order and change the world in its foundations: these are the tasks the player is destined to tackle in the course of the game.

RPG-Adventure
  • Experience a gripping action thriller with 9 varying and 3 distinctly different endings.
  • Nearly every action influences the course of history – often considerably and sometimes substantially.
  • You are no nameless hero.
  • You are Achos Polikron – first commissioner of messenai –known to the Politeia for his zealous fervor and great virtue.
  • As a powerful individual you step into an unstable world and it is your destiny to fight for true order on this planet.
Turn-Based Battle System
  • Fight for your cause, using a turn-based battle system that is easy to learn but tough to master.
  • Actions available to you during battle are influenced and determined by your equipment, your surroundings and your prior decisions.
  • Vaporize your enemy using Teslas lightning cannon, seek a dialogue with your ideological adversary or frighten him with your reputation based on past achievements.
Alchemy & Crafting
  • Use the powers of alchemy for your purposes. Prepare potions, explosives or ointments that are essential for your physical and psychological condition.
  • Combat the results of mental maladies with the means of modern medicine; for depressions and anxieties can haunt even the emotionally strong - if entangled in constant fighting and suffering.
  • The odds in combat can be increased by improving your armory.
  • Construct new weapons or modify the ones already available to you.

This game is really something. I almost can't believe it exists. The Kickstarter is seeking only €8,000, and you can get yourself a copy for just €10, but barely anybody has pledged. I really hope more websites pick up on this. If the campaign does succeed, DEMIURGOS is scheduled to come out on February 2019.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Copper Dreams, No Truce With The Furies, Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, Demiurgos... who the hell needs Obsidian dumb down games anyway? I know I don't.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's an "RPG-adventure" set in an alternate history in which the cultures of the ancient Greek world exist in a noirish mid-20th century industrial dystopia

Well that's some original shit! :obviously:

Christ, even voice acting stretch goal is :obviously: as fuck. This games just breaks :obviously: emoticon. I can't just :obviously: it enough.
78627e07f6f948be882bc072da667105_original.png

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its a really cool idea to support an idelogical group through pledging, I am not sure what exactly this one point of influence actually does though.

Have you guys read the creator description?

Our dedication to this project stems from our childhood.
Growing up with games like Baldurs Gate I and II, Zelda: Majoras Mask, Terranigma or Deus Ex,
we have been disappointed by most of the larger productions in the last ten years .
While improvements in graphics then and now are an essential part of a generation change,
innovation, the willingness to take risks and general creativity have increasingly suffered in the last ten years.
The recurring trivial and stereotype-heavy storylines of many AAA games have at times left us speechless.

As a small team we are of course not able to singlehandedly counteract this phenomenon, that is widely acknowledged in large parts of the player-community.
Nevertheless we can and we want to contribute our part, hoping that more games surprise and captivate us yet again.

How are these devs not on the Codex yet?

Love

Cipher
great persons tried to build a completely new order upon its ruins that was to be ruled not by god or tradition, but by the ingenuity of mankind itself

It's called decline.

Dominating questions and tendencies of that time ranged from Collectivism and Individualism on one side, Pluralism and Totalitarianism on the other.

Now the battle against Leviathan comes to PC!

Its a really cool idea to support an idelogical group through pledging, I am not sure what exactly this one point of influence actually does though.

They don't want to disclose too much on it "to not affect the outcome".

Libertarians often don’t trust absolute truths, but prefer a relativistic view on the world.

Daniel, you don't have to be a Randian to see the crucial part of epistemology in the freedom philosophy. Natural rights and laws are absolute.

Gremius

Augur
journos (...) starts blabbering about how this game is "proof that videogamez can be artz"
And who would pay them to say that? In most cases of "artistic videogames" there is usually some big company behind that (for example Sony which know that it is great business move to sell your games with poor gameplay and almost no story as an art).

I doubt this one get similar attention from media- nobody would pay them for that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right now Codex is the only website that has posted about this. Not even GameBanshee or RPGWatch.

This guy needs to come here if only because we're the only ones who care.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well some of the codex supporters can use their power of KS comment posting and invite them here.

I really hope more websites pick up on this.
When this game gets popular and journos and hipsters starts blabbering about how this game is "proof that videogamez can be artz" you are going to take back your words.

Maybe we should help to spread the news?
Creator is so inept at marketing that he even did not think about coming here, I doubt he contacted other sites.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When this game gets popular and journos and hipsters starts blabbering about how this game is "proof that videogamez can be artz" you are going to take back your words.

Creator is so inept at marketing that he even did not think about coming here, I doubt he contacted other sites.
So this is another Pierre .. makes awesome game :incline:, sucks at marketing and people skills and nobody knows about his game :negative:

PrettyDeadman

So this is another Pierre .. makes awesome game :incline:, sucks at marketing and people skills and nobody knows about his game :negative:
Who is Pierre?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom