Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Is there any core race left? Anyway i want the dhampir

We're covering the 7 core races (humans, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, elves, half-elves and half-orcs) and all the core classes, as well as the Inquisitor and Alchemist. An additional class, the Magus, is our 600k stretch goal. More races and classes may be added via future stretch goals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS

We've made an agreement with Owlcat to do a Codex fundraiser. You'll be able to donate through the Codex and get exactly what you would have gotten through Kickstarter.

DU hasn't started the campaign yet, but now you can drop your Kickstarter pledge if you want.

EDIT: No Early Bird prices, of course!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1933495

Watch live-gameplay and learn how we bring events to life
Posted by Oleg

Watch us play!
We are excited to announce that this Monday we are going to stream some gameplay with Alexander Mishulin (Creative Director) and Chris Avellone (Narrative Designer). We are happy to show you the first several locations of our prototype version. We will play one of the early builds, so you can get a better impression of what to expect in the game.

We will go live on Monday, 10th of July at 9:00pm PDT / 4:00am GMT* / 6:00am CET* at https://www.twitch.tv/owlcatgames.

*this means Tuesday, 11th of July in these time zones.

Can't make it to our live-stream? Don't worry! A recording will be available on our official YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo1yuqm85x6iyko4dKhZPiA.

And that's not all we have planned for you this Monday! Don't forget to be there for our Reddit-AMA (reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/) we will have on Monday, 10th of July at 11:59am PDT / 6:59pm GMT / 8:59pm CET!

Bringing Events to Life
In a previous update we talked about how we transition memorable events from the adventure path to our CRPG. This time we'd like to share with you how we handle events that are very vivid in the books, but not so easy to represent in the CRPG.

Note: This text describes one of the events you will encounter in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. There are minor spoilers ahead.

There are two main types of interactions in the game aside from battle: dialogue and manipulating various objects. These interactions are usually further enhanced with elements like skill checks (try Disable Device on a locked chest) or small puzzle-like elements (figure out the sequence of a combination lock). But sometimes even combinations of these things are not enough to depict the event. When we were playing Pillars of Eternity a lot of us enjoyed their approach to special narrative events that were presented on scrolls, which didn't just contain text, but also used pictures. So it was natural that when we started discussing how we wanted to make events in Kingmaker come to life, we decided to take a similar route for some of them. And we wanted to take this approach even further.

Let us travel to the River Ford in South Narlmarches where gnomes are under attack by kobolds. Not only are they desperately trying to save their lives, but they also struggle to protect the cart of Jubilost Narthropple - leader of their expedition. Initially, you will come across several kobold squads, which will confront both the gnomes and your party. After you deal with the kobolds, a new challenge appears - saving the cart that is toppling into the water.

91123eddf15cc9e36028e48ece1b17d4_original.png

Interaction with the cart starts a new type of event, something we refer to as a "book event" in our game. You can try to help the gnomes right away, but it's not an easy task. While the gnomes are still holding the cart, you can explore the whole location to find items that can help. In this case you may discover a crowbar and a rope - or, being the resourceful adventurer that you are, perhaps you planned ahead and already thought to bring these valuable items along with you. Looking around the area you can also find ponies, which ran away from the cart. Your party may attempt to calm them with a skill check. All those actions will improve your chances to save the cart by decreasing the difficulty as well as providing new actions in the book event for the final check (for example by using the crowbar as a lever with a successful <Physique>/<Strength> check).

Your actions in battle can also have an impact on the event. While fighting the kobolds, you can make sure to protect the gnomes. Of course you could also just nuke the kobolds with area effects and take down a few gnomes along with them as collateral damage. However, each surviving gnome can lend their strength to your effort so save the cart, further decreasing the difficulty check, so you better think twice before blowing up some potential helpers!

dc2f3fbe16b58a9b4f07b240b8ebd0bf_original.png

By offering you all these possibilities we're letting you handle this encounter the way you want. If one solution doesn't work for you, we're giving you other options. If, for instance, your party fails to calm down the ponies, you could still enhance Amiri's strength with magic and let her use the crowbar. Compensate for your weaknesses in some departments with your strengths in others.

When we conceptualized the UI for this element we wanted to represent such events with a book, where one side is devoted to pictures and the other to the text and choices of the player.

4278806af5730999676227212b6b4544_original.jpg

But it took us a while to create a book we really liked. Take a look:

96b838783af844c34943efb6900b75ac_original.gif

After experiments with the book itself we tried various iterations of the text and decoration within the book.

44ed9afac0318fe63669b3e01cec4a09_original.gif

We are currently using this version, but work on a UI is never done and after more playtests and UX-tests this book could continue evolving.

fdf2c240ea4b90c4f1a7b1fd6a5940de_original.jpg

What do you think of our approach to book events? Have you come up with creative and unusual solutions to encounters in the adventure path? Let us know in the comments section!

Hail to the Kings!

Owlcats.

PrettyDeadman

ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS

We've made an agreement with Owlcat to do a Codex fundraiser. You'll be able to donate through the Codex and get exactly what you would have gotten through Kickstarter.

DU hasn't started the campaign yet, but now you can drop your Kickstarter pledge if you want.

EDIT: No Early Bird prices, of course!
How does it work? Will I own my pledge and have control over it or will my money and pledge be owned by Codex and I have to wait until codex will distribute an appropriate rewards to me?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How does it work? Will I own my pledge and have control over it or will my money and pledge be owned by Codex and I have to wait until codex will distribute an appropriate rewards to me?

They're saying they'll give our donors an account on their backer portal, so you should have control.

Quantomas

Savant
Good question. What do we fund?

Let's go for a kingdom building called The Codex. Let's have a mean-spirited character inside who helps you out regardless by handing out lore and special quests. If they say it's too expensive, we can offer to do the writing ourselves. And some quality encounter design for the quests, simply set in the random encounter areas to keep costs manageable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, that's not how it works. We can fund what they're offering on Kickstarter. I can't ask them to implement custom content for us, they're already giving us free shit (effectively doubling our money). If they volunteer to do it like Larian then fine.

I figure we'll shoot for the $500 tier at first and see where it goes from there.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Update #28: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1933161

Inon Zur provides us with the overall musical atmosphere for the Stolen Lands, which has completely won our hearts. And having these music "anchors" we are happy to expand our audio content into different directions to match the diverse environments of the Pathfinder universe.

The creator of these themes, Dmitry V. Silantyev, has a great background in folk music - he played domra and accordion in a folk instruments orchestra before his career as a music composer. We have known him through our work on our previous projects, and we believe that his music will enhance our adventures in the Stolen Lands.

So Inon Zur is basically a reverse MCA - he was brought in to teach talanted local composers how to make bland mainstream crap.
:negative:

PrettyDeadman

Not sure if it is officially live. They announced it will start at a different time (~9 hours from now), but I guess Chris Avellone decided to start answering question right now. Chris Avellone does whatever he wants, whether it is playing arcanum hd patch instaed of working or starting ama 9 hours earlier.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Halfway to archetypes stretch goal.
They'll make it, no doubt. I wonder if there's any hope to get the goblin though. This little creature sounds far more interesting that any of their core companions and more fun than a bunch of character kits.

Yeah, yeah. The Watch is that way, I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom