Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline PSP game recommendation

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
I bought dirt cheap PSP to play PSX2PSP games since I've never had PS1:

Alundra. Cool arpg with puzzles.
Bushido blade. Samurai duels in semi open world.
Parasite Eve. Great RTwP but kinda annoying random ecounters.
Front Mission. Turn based strategy/rpg with robots.
Kings Field. Damn hard but awesome grandfather of Dark Souls.
Ronin Blade. Again Samurai sword fighting.
Silent Hill. Oh yeh.
Crow City of Angels. For nostalgia purposes.
Vagrant Story. A must. Great story. Same combat engine as Parasite Eve.
Vandal Hearts. Sort of like FFT.
Thrasher Skate or Die. Grandfather of EA Skate. Play on Hard.
Colony Wars. Great space combat sim trilogy if you manage to make it work.

From PSP games I played only and they were good but sometimes meh:

Swat Target Liberty.
Socom US Navy Seals
Shadow of Destiny

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are quite a lot of 'good' (or at least weaboo, which is the same for the audience) japan-only games on the PSP. Atelier series, the LoH sequels etc.

laclongquan

Arcane
Do a quick try of Class of Heroes (psp). game feel like underdeveloped and grindy. Could be a nice game, I dont know. Just 10 hours into the game. Not sure will continue.

Quest seem to be not engaging, based on a quick skimming through the faq. Not too sure, might get improved further?
The character creation could lead to abuse. Random reroll take too much time. Unable to reedit characters once done. Roll for a party of bonus30 can be a special kind of pain. A strong demonstration why point buy system might be better.
Map random reroll once leave. Ie, there is no quick trip to town for a rest then resume exploring. A bit too hardcore for my taste, though the opinion might change further into the game, who know~
Very limited in portraits. Each race get 1 for each gender. So if you make a 5Drakes+1human, or god forbid, a full pureblood party, you can be mighty tired of the same same portraits. A big BOO for this feature of the game. Academagia has the same problem but it can be modded to replace existing portraits with new ones, so the problem is alleviated.
Anime artstyle doesnt bother me.

Coriolanus

Learned
Do a quick try of Class of Heroes (psp). game feel like underdeveloped and grindy. Could be a nice game, I dont know. Just 10 hours into the game. Not sure will continue.

Quest seem to be not engaging, based on a quick skimming through the faq. Not too sure, might get improved further?
The character creation could lead to abuse. Random reroll take too much time. Unable to reedit characters once done. Roll for a party of bonus30 can be a special kind of pain. A strong demonstration why point buy system might be better.
Map random reroll once leave. Ie, there is no quick trip to town for a rest then resume exploring. A bit too hardcore for my taste, though the opinion might change further into the game, who know~
Very limited in portraits. Each race get 1 for each gender. So if you make a 5Drakes+1human, or god forbid, a full pureblood party, you can be mighty tired of the same same portraits. A big BOO for this feature of the game. Academagia has the same problem but it can be modded to replace existing portraits with new ones, so the problem is alleviated.
Anime artstyle doesnt bother me.

I kind of stopped trying at the dungeon where anti-magic squares were mixed with rotating squares making it nigh-impossible to navigate (and I haven't found a map). Apparently CoH2 fixes a lot of CoH1's problems, but I don't know.

I don't there is a point to reroll. It's the same in every classic Wizardry (and even some of Wiz1's predecessors) and many of their Japanese offshoots. Yes, you can reroll for 30 if you have too much spare time but it really isn't necessary.

laclongquan

Arcane
The system is designed to be reroll, chap. If you dont reroll when you can, all the speech you made about great character creation become kind of empty sounds, innit?

And there's a point to reroll. One, get a 20+ before you can even dream of touching top five majors. TWO, A good strong initial party will breeze through beginning's enemies with initial equipments, make the grinds less grindy. And THREE reroll is its own kind of fun.

laclongquan

Arcane
Doubtful. And no, i dont need perfect score. I need some 30+, but then have to give up and accept 4 20+. It seem possible to get upto 50+, but I certainly dont have patience for that.

First dungeon area, the novice, is okay. Enemies are up to your level, or at least not too much. of course, since I dont want to grind, I get in, grab the chest, get to the stairs, complete the quest,. then get out.

The second area is 2-5 level over mine. I creep around with dread. Out of magic half way to the magic key. If return to rest in school, will have to do it again.

laclongquan

Arcane
Reiterate: It's very good for what it is , which is a repetitive dungeon diver plus a healthy dose of story. You cant keep away from it for long. Another plus is dungeons are very fast to do if you hug the wall and avoid 80% random encounters.

Crisis Core is a recommendation.

Heresiarch

Prophet
If you like Gundam arcade action, GVG Next Plus is VERY good on a PSP emulator, even better than on the PSP, due to surprisingly how clear and detailed the textures and models look like even on HD screen resolution.

Monster Hunter is always a good bet but it does lack some charm not playing it on the go.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 are both brilliant. I couldn't finish either though because how small and repetitive the battlefields are and how grindy it becomes later on.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Untold Legends: brotherhood of the blade
Untold legends: warriors code
dungeon siege: throne of agony
Silent Hill: Origins

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom