Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I just hope that the game goes one way or the other. A total masterpiece to put things back on track, or a total clusterfuck to kill Bioware off for good.

They've reached the size of company that can't fail. They can roll out Assassins Creed level garbage for years, than say something about return to the roots and get fans excited again.

And whatever problems their games have it's funny how SJW stuff triggers people.

Falksi

Arcane
They've reached the size of company that can't fail. They can roll out Assassins Creed level garbage for years, than say something about return to the roots and get fans excited again.

And whatever problems their games have it's funny how SJW stuff triggers people.

Aye, such a shame when you consider their roots. The formulaic methods they use now born out if franchises like AC really rape games hard.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I just hope that the game goes one way or the other. A total masterpiece to put things back on track, or a total clusterfuck to kill Bioware off for good.
Bioware already had several shitty games in a row. Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda. Even reviewers on paycheck wrote they are at best mediocre. They still can survive on their raped, mutilated and crippled reputation of "RPG kings" for years if not decades. It's like Marvel and ВС with audiences patiently waiting for a decent DC move, thinking each time that "well, maybe this time it won't be a complete crap?!"

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Bioware already had several shitty games in a row. Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda. Even reviewers on paycheck wrote they are at best mediocre. They still can survive on their raped, mutilated and crippled reputation of "RPG kings" for years if not decades. It's like Marvel and ВС with audiences patiently waiting for a decent DC move, thinking each time that "well, maybe this time it won't be a complete crap?!"

I don't think anyone considered DAI mediocre till the Witcher 3 circlejerk kicked in. It was usually considered fine but not a masterpiece BioWare is obliged to make. Metarcitic shows plenty of 9/10 and 10/10 scores from reviewers. The worst that critics said was "too much MMO". It had still sold great, still had lots of DLC and is considered a success however you look at it. Not Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect 2 success, but I bet BioWare and EA would be glad to have the same reaction to every game they ever make.

Falksi

Arcane
Time will tell I guess chaps. I guess it's only just hit that they've not produced a good rpg this decade (last one for me was ME2 released Jan 2010, so technically just this decade, but you get the point). Even the Me2 was ok, not great. DA:I was an abomination imo, and I suspect a lot of those reviewers were bought.
Surely they'll have to make one decent game before 2020 is here? Or alternatively bite the dust?
Like I say, I guess time will tell.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Time will tell I guess chaps. I guess it's only just hit that they've not produced a good rpg this decade (last one for me was ME2 released Jan 2010, so technically just this decade, but you get the point). Even the Me2 was ok, not great. DA:I was an abomination imo, and I suspect a lot of those reviewers were bought.
Surely they'll have to make one decent game before 2020 is here? Or alternatively bite the dust?
Like I say, I guess time will tell.

How is BioWare not producing a game for you corresponds with them biting the dust? They still are all over gaming news, sell like pancakes and ME2 which was merely OK for you, routinely gets into top 10 RPGs lists and still brings steady stream of cocaine to EA/BioWare CEOs years after release?

Sizzle

Arcane
When even the mainstream gaming press finds your newest game to be shit - yeah, I'd say that's legitimate cause for alarm.

Falksi

Arcane
How is BioWare not producing a game for you corresponds with them biting the dust? They still are all over gaming news, sell like pancakes and ME2 which was merely OK for you, routinely gets into top 10 RPGs lists and still brings steady stream of cocaine to EA/BioWare CEOs years after release?

I think that's more if a reflection of how the mainstream is lapping up "RPGs" at the moment.
The trouble being the mainstream are usual fickle sheep who follow trends. This decade it's Skyrim, but now Bioware is focussing on appeasing them more, they face a big fall when said Sheep follow a different master.
Sizzle just beat me to it lol.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I think that's more if a reflection of how the mainstream is lapping up "RPGs" at the moment.
The trouble being the mainstream are usual fickle sheep who follow trends. This decade it's Skyrim, but now Bioware is focussing on appeasing them more, they face a big fall when said Sheep follow a different master.

I remember very similar talk around release of Morrowind which dropped huge world, dumbed down progression system and so on. Hardcore players said that this is beginning of the end, games are all about shader water now. There was also Neverwinter Nights that year which was all about multiplayer and shit story. There was also Gothic around that time, dumbed down action RPG without character creation. Also Might & Magic 9 that killed off a great series of games. Clearly, that was the beginning of dark age of dumbed-down RPGs for casuals who only cared about graphics. What you see now is just a continuation of the trend.

PrettyDeadman

This is how Gothic was described among "true RPG fans" back then.
No, it wasn't described like that. It was described as a masterpiece and one of the best rpgs and games.
How do I know that? Because I am one of the hardcore true RPG fans who was back then. I remember how Gothic was recieved after it was recieved, I even remember how it was recieved before it was release, since I bought tons of gaming magazines (MEGAGAME, and NAVIGATOR OF GAMING WORLD).

Last edited by a moderator:

Falksi

Arcane
I remember very similar talk around release of Morrowind which dropped huge world, dumbed down progression system and so on. Hardcore players said that this is beginning of the end, games are all about shader water now. There was also Neverwinter Nights that year which was all about multiplayer and shit story. There was also Gothic around that time, dumbed down action RPG without character creation. Also Might & Magic 9 that killed off a great series of games. Clearly, that was the beginning of dark age of dumbed-down RPGs for casuals who only cared about graphics. What you see now is just a continuation of the trend.

True, it's a similar evolution in many respects. The difference I see though is that Morrowind was praised by the more mainstream players/reviewers, to then see Oblivion praised massively, to then see Skyrim lorded as the best thing ever.
Whereas ME:A is the very opposite of that, and the mainstream has already turned on it, and Bioware are already viewed as a bit of a joke now.
In fact i'd say way more gamers are more excited for TES6 than any Bioware release.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
No, it wasn't described like that. It was described as a masterpiece and one of the best rpgs and games.
How do I know that? Because I am one of the hardcore true RPG fans who was back then. I remember how Gothic was recieved after it was recieved, I even remember how it was recieved before it was release, since I bought tons of gaming magazines (MEGAGAME, and NAVIGATOR OF GAMING WORLD).

And now let's look at a real review.

"Should you play Gothic? Not if you want a deep character-development RPG or an action-packed hack-and-slash game, or if you'd have trouble dealing with the game's various problems. And not if you don't have a good computer that's substantially better than the game's minimum requirements. However, if none of these conditions really bother you and if you'd be interested in playing a game that places more emphasis on character interaction and quests than on fighting monsters, you should give Gothic a try."

In the newspaper I worked at the time only one person liked the game and he wrote a rather similar review noting the controversy of the game not being appreciated by people who like RPGs but being fine for people getting into the genre.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is how Gothic was described among "true RPG fans" back then.

And now let's look at a real review.

"Should you play Gothic? Not if you want a deep character-development RPG or an action-packed hack-and-slash game, or if you'd have trouble dealing with the game's various problems. And not if you don't have a good computer that's substantially better than the game's minimum requirements. However, if none of these conditions really bother you and if you'd be interested in playing a game that places more emphasis on character interaction and quests than on fighting monsters, you should give Gothic a try."

In the newspaper I worked at the time only one person liked the game and he wrote a rather similar review noting the controversy of the game not being appreciated by people who like RPGs but being fine for people getting into the genre.

Gamespot, True RPG fans? Seriously?

Another Gamespot review (granted, it was much later, so more decline and all):

Mount and Blade

The Good

Realistic, engaging combat mechanics on both foot and horseback
Wide-open gameworld to explore
Thorough character stats and skills

The Bad

So open-ended that the game lacks almost any semblance of structure
Too many dead-end villages and boring quests, especially early in the game
A lot of little bugs and oddities

Overall: 6/10

Anyway, EA won't kill Bioware because its game don't sell, but because their ROI is not good enough compared to their other divisions, which is very different. Otherwise, Maxis, Bulfrog and Westwoow would still be alive.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
New DA4 screenshot leaked

iRSb6pJ.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Then they fuck and later patches will add beastiality and pedophilia for inclusion.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
EA has killed much stronger studios before. What makes you think they won't mercy kill bioware?

Video game companies are motivated as much by the desire to deny profit to competitors as to get profit themselves.

If EA thinks they are stopping another publisher from getting market share they won't stop.

Mass Effect: Andromeda didn't live up to at least that standard though, which is a first.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
First REAL screenshot leaked.

It will finally be the game that BSN always wanted.

9ssfJIl.jpg

They aim for the core gamers and took the hunger mechanic from simulationism / realism mods from Skyrim. ;)

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
No longer will oldfags show us that screenshot from Planescape saying that's how a real dialogue options look.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom