Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Arcanum High Resolution Patch Version 1.5 Release

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Taluntain, I don't have FTP access to T-A's downloads section and I don't think anybody bothers to update it anymore, so I dunno. IIRC the way it's setup you have to edit PHP files by hand which is p annoying. Me and The_Bob used to do this, but seems like everyone's gone nowadays.

I was thinking about moving all my stuff to Mod DB or something. Ideas? What would you guys prefer? Google Drive is also fine, I have a dedicated account just for this kind of stuff, so it doesn't really eat into my quota.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Also maybe we should host the October 2000 Beta Demo (about 800 MB) somewhere. It's an interesting piece of history.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That would be great, thanks. What about visits, was there a significant spike? Or was it only minimal? Since there is reddit thread it should be at least a couple hundred more than usual.

There's quite a bit more activity for sure, from what I can see there have been about 400 downloads of the patch so far going by the server stats.

Taluntain, I don't have FTP access to T-A's downloads section and I don't think anybody bothers to update it anymore, so I dunno. IIRC the way it's setup you have to edit PHP files by hand which is p annoying. Me and The_Bob used to do this, but seems like everyone's gone nowadays.

I was thinking about moving all my stuff to Mod DB or something. Ideas? What would you guys prefer? Google Drive is also fine, I have a dedicated account just for this kind of stuff, so it doesn't really eat into my quota.

Yea, T-A's old system is pretty clunky. I've added an Arcanum category so you can upload files up to 100MB there if you want. You can also just download-link to files in an external location there with an entry and it'll count and display downloads as if they were local, but you can have them on Google Drive on wherever.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I've added an Arcanum category so you can upload files up to 100MB there if you want.
Thanks but... what is this, 1999? My recompiled townmaps, remastered soundtrack and extended animations packs are all well over that limit. Kinda defeats the purpose.

If I still release Unofficial Patch 2.0, its projected size is around 500 MB, it includes the base patch + high res + the above + some misc stuff.

Drog, Vault BR doens' t have an Arcanum section but we love our Falloutlikes and we got a pretty good host now. I am a moderator there, could talk to the admin, he's a bro.

Want me to put a word and get it uploaded there? I got site editing access.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Thanks but... what is this, 1999? My recompiled townmaps, remastered soundtrack and extended animations packs are all well over that limit. Kinda defeats the purpose.

If I still release Unofficial Patch 2.0, its projected size is around 500 MB, it includes the base patch + high res + the above + some misc stuff.

If all your stuff's that big then ModDB or GoogleDrive are a better place to put them. We're not that well equipped to deal with such large files as they stack up to a dozen+ gigs in no time and that in turn bloats all the backups, causing issues there etc.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/882915058514223105

OCpy9p6.png

:troll:
I wonder how many users will be fooled this time.

Edit:
VCNsylm.png

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane
Although it's better to have such mod than to not have, very high resolution, native to current displays, is useless for games using unscaled 2D graphics.

Usually for isometric games, the resolution of 1024 x 768 is the upper limit, while 800 x 600 is optimal. Any higher will decrease the graphics quality. Elements of game screen: objects, fonts, markers, etc. become too small; any graphic details become barely visible.

Easy to notice in Ultima (Exult), Fallout (Restoration Pack), Infinity games (widescreen mods), RTS games.

Said thing was already known issue in 2000 for some RTS games at 1024 x 768 and higher. In that case what good would do now 1920 x 1200 in games working on the same principle?

The OP screenshots don't look that bad though.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's my wedding tommorow and I should be sleeping but I'm sitting here and trying out Arcanum with the new patch. Works flawlessly. Thanks for including that ddraw wrapper out of the box, I had issues with extremely slow framerates on Windows 8/10 and didn't even know there was a solution for this.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
That thread is p hilarious:
Their top 70 list always makes me laugh because of how obvious it is that a lot of the people voting had never played the games they were voting on. The mere idea that Wizardry 4 is not shit is laughable, not to mention the idea that System Shock 1 is an RPG. Or how about VTMB being placed above Deus Ex despite the fact VTMB is basically a less polished, unfinished, dark fantasy version of Deus Ex with even worse combat. And then you have Dark Souls up in there for no reason, even though it's clearly not a PC RPG, it was a console RPG that begrudgingly got a crappy port, god forbid they have an ACTUAL CRPG from Japan on the list, like Ys or Xanadu or even The Last Remnant.
:roll::roll::roll:

Zeriel

Arcane
The "they don't even play those games" criticism always seems like projection to me, since that's what has always made the Codex unique. Yes, there are some posers, but it's one of the few places filled with people who actually walk the walk instead of just talking it.

Black Angel

Arcane
That thread is p hilarious:
Their top 70 list always makes me laugh because of how obvious it is that a lot of the people voting had never played the games they were voting on. The mere idea that Wizardry 4 is not shit is laughable, not to mention the idea that System Shock 1 is an RPG. Or how about VTMB being placed above Deus Ex despite the fact VTMB is basically a less polished, unfinished, dark fantasy version of Deus Ex with even worse combat. And then you have Dark Souls up in there for no reason, even though it's clearly not a PC RPG, it was a console RPG that begrudgingly got a crappy port, god forbid they have an ACTUAL CRPG from Japan on the list, like Ys or Xanadu or even The Last Remnant.
:roll::roll::roll:
I have a feeling those dumbfucks at reddit wouldn't really know what to talk about when it comes to cRPGs and RPGs in general, so.... which one of you fucks from here post that kind of shit?

Viata

Arcane
I have a feeling that guy really sucks at Wizardry and couldn't finish Wizardry 4 and now hates it and everyone that recommends it(as if it was not one of the best Wizardry game).

makchanka

Arbiter
Never played arcanum shoul i try it?

yes, but be prepared to spend half an hour to an hour to get it running. it's a troika game, so it's as buggy as it is amazing. you will need several fan patches (all of them are listed in some stickied gog thread iirc).

it's a unique sort of game. it takes all of the derivative tolkein crap and turns it into something that's actually awesome. its world-building is incredible. it has its own race relations, issues of economic and social class, competing industries and nations, politics, and religions. It's not like a lot of modern games that get all preachy or that copy and paste modern TV politics into one dimensional fantasy races so you end up getting Dwarf Mitt Romney and Elf Jill Stein (looking at you, Divinity: Dragon Commander), and it isn't just some crap a dev scattered around the world in notebooks either. it's woven into the world and its characters, and you don't always get to be the hero who fixes everything. The people in this world are flawed and have their own fucked up issues and don't always agree with you. Sometimes they lie or seem to lie or make terrible decisions and you're left cleaning up their mess, but it's always fun. There are multiple ways of doing everything, and sometimes there's no right way to do something. It has its flaws as a game, but the good far outweighs the bad.

it's a very strange, vast, engrossing world, and the RPG mechanics are a beautiful fucking mess.

It's pure Troika. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Lol, that thread.

Gregorus-Prime said:
Great, now I can learn Disintegrate and then use it to solve every single problem in the game again, only this time in HD.

Some of you may be saying "but Disintegrate destroys the enemy's inventory too so you can't loot their stuff," to which I answer "don't need equipment to cast Disintegrate."

bishopcheck said:

Gregorus-Prime said:
Disintegrate is better. There is not a single problem in the game that can't be solved by it. I even went to the magic academy to take the Forces test so I could cast Disintegrate at half mp cost. Know how I passed the test? I'll give you a hint. Starts with a "d" and ends with "isintegrate."

latest

Zeriel said:
In closing, you wrote this:

KotakuSucks2 said:
I follow the codex because they usually have previews of games that get little to no coverage anywhere else (and they're willing to actually say that a game doesn't look good)

Maybe it's time to reflect on why the Codex provides that service that no one else does. Maybe letting people speak their mind and not banning them for negativity is precisely what leads to previews of niche games, by people who have no problem telling you an upcoming game looks like shit? I'd suggest there's a link between the environment you think is so toxic and awful, and this valuable service the Codex offers you. If you want to pick blackberries, be ready for thorns.

aOVm_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

(I wonder if the 2 in his name means "two" or his first account was banned for thinking that)

Never played arcanum shoul i try it?

Arcanum is the best shit game I have ever played.

So I have FINALLY managed to beat it after more than a month. Fuck, this game is so shitty.

The character system is shit. Skills are divied into two sperate and distinct categories: the ones that are so good you'd be retarded not to put points in, and the ones that are so bad you'd be retarded to even spend a single point in. Oh, yeah, there's the oddball skills just like Diablo 2 where putting one point in them is a must, but putting any more is a a complete waste. I finished the at about level 48 with an excess of 10+ skill points. Terrible.

The combat is shit. Just hold down the Harm button and win. Oh sure, sometimes you might meet a boss and might need to pause the game and drink a healing potion, but most of the time it's "hold down ctrl to autolock on the nearest traget and keep spamming Harm to win". Almost as bad as Diablo.

The encounter design is shit. Basically there is none. The areas are populated with a set number of critters. That's it. You either mow through them like a hot knife through butter, or they rape your ass and it means you have to move to another area. And those fucking last to areas man. What a pointless time sink those were. You are given two HUGE maps and what to the developers do with them? Add some nice quests, NPC's, or towns? Nope. Just copy paste groups of creatures everywhere and you're done. Yay! Game design must be so easy! Anyone can do it!

but despite that...

I've had so much fun with this game.

Because despite the fact that the bad parts are BAD, the good parts are also GOOD.

The first map is great, depite it's repetitive encounter design. It has a buttload of quests, a ton of NPC's, lots and lots of secrets and quirks, good writing with a great sense of humour, lots of stuffto see and explore and collect, the ability to interract with the environment, move objects around and to mix potions. This first area of the game reminded me of an isometric Morrowind.

I see myself replaying it after some time has passed, but I don't see myself finishing it due to the shittines of the last portion of the game. I have not finished all the quests and I chose not to use a walkthrough so I can have some new things to do when I play it again. My only regret is that I was never been able to find P. Schuyler and his sons. :(

I'm really excited about Divinity Original Sin 2. If they add all of the good things from DD and try and minimize the bad (honestly I'm not that bummed about the fucked up character system, but that idiotic encounter "design" has to go) it could turn out a future Codex classic.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom