Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
giphy.gif

UnderRail, the game not mainstream enough to be copied by legendary developers.
I still have this (not so) secret hope, that Stygs next game will be party based.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
UnstableVoltage how Phoenix Point treats hp bloats? I mean we saw bonnes, but that seem to be a separate case. I mean hp bloats like nuXcom Gatekeeper, Sectopod and Muton Elites, common enemies with shitload of hp which at later stages became a chore to deal with due to massive amount of damage required to kill them and iin case of teamwipe rookies failing to amass that damage value and perform a comeback from previous defeats?

Israfael

Arcane
HP bloat was the product of the pod spawn system and other 'brilliant' decisions related to it, so I don't think it'd be a problem. Adding proper armor with DT (like in old x-coms or fallouts) would eliminate the need to do bloat.
I think what Julian is trying to do here, is have a system that feels and plays simplistically like the 2AP system, but to have more freedom, like with TUs.
Most probably it would be neither simplistic, nor it would have finer granularity, and the problem is more or less contrived - there's a lot of examples here in this thread how you can do TUs without making people to do the 'math' (grid highlighting + reserve TU for shots would remove 99% of frustrations)

ArchAngel

Arcane
HP bloats are not a huge problem, fighting Mutons or Sectopods (or Cyberdisks early) also felt like fighting HP bloated enemies.
It becomes a problem when soldier skills allow you to do 2x or 3x more damage than base weapon damage. In old UFOs you could give a rookie a weapon your hardcore troops used and they would do same damage but with weaker accuracy and one shot less per round due to having less TU.
So the problem is not the HP blot, the problem is too powerful soldier perks.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It was not a problem facing one powerful sectopod or Gatekeeper. missions turned into shit when you haмe to fight 3 of them, sometimes at once. That's was a competition to the most exploitive and disbalanced strategies and skill combination players could devise.
Also, skills your soldier have does not give you an edge in the fight - thye allow you to wipe enemy pods, kill 5 of them in a single turn. And sometimes missions is a dilemma - could you kill most of enemy pods or they will cripple your team next turn?

luinthoron

Learned
As nice as that weapon is, I'm still trying to figure out how you'd hold and, more importantly, shoot it.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
HP bloats are not a huge problem, fighting Mutons or Sectopods (or Cyberdisks early) also felt like fighting HP bloated enemies.
It becomes a problem when soldier skills allow you to do 2x or 3x more damage than base weapon damage. In old UFOs you could give a rookie a weapon your hardcore troops used and they would do same damage but with weaker accuracy and one shot less per round due to having less TU.
So the problem is not the HP blot, the problem is too powerful soldier perks.

Specifically - powerful +damage perks +extra AP spam perks.

As nice as that weapon is, I'm still trying to figure out how you'd hold and, more importantly, shoot it.

Obviously you grab the handles with your hands and get the middle stuck in your crotch. Fire by applying pressure.

luinthoron

Learned
Update 23:

The Phoenix Point pre-order store is now live.

We have been working with CrowdOx to get our pre-order store up and running. If you wish to back Phoenix Point but haven't already done so, now is your chance. The pre-order store offers a large selection of our original backer tiers. For those of you that have been asking for PayPal support, there's good news. Our pre-order store does support PayPal.

Visit our pre-order store and secure your copy!

Snapshot Games Forums are up and running.

Our new forum is now live and waiting for you to sign up. Here, you can keep apprised of all the latest Snapshot Games and Phoenix Point news, engage with other Phoenix Point enthusiasts and chat with the developers.

Get yourself a forum account and start chatting today. Alternatively, if you prefer live chat, our Discord server is also available.

Retcon Raider's Informative Videos

A community member and Phoenix Point backer has been making very informative and thought provoking videos revolving around the mechanics and lore of Phoenix Point. If you haven't done so already, visit his YouTube channel for some fascinating theories on Phoenix Point.

luinthoron

Learned

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just a tiny bit of science from the Fig comments:

so where's the science?
In the correct geoscape shoreline based on what actual science says the planet would look like if the ice melts.
nice and all but it would be more interesting what the south pole would look like instead of this

luinthoron

Learned
Here's Fig update 24:
CrowdOx Backer Surveys

Since moving our backer system over to CrowdOx, all of our backers should have received an email from CrowdOx to complete their survey. This survey gives you an opportunity to edit your pledge or purchase additional digital and physical rewards. It allows you to select the platform for your Chaos Reborn key if you haven't done so already. Enter your shipping address for your physical rewards and select your t-shirt size. If you have a reward tier which includes your name in the credits or naming a soldier, you will receive another invite to provide that information once we have decided on the format. For those of you who backed at the Immortalization Editions or higher, you will receive an email from a member of the development team once we are ready to start working with you on your in-game weapons/leaders.

If you haven't completed your survey yet, please do so. If you have not had an email from CrowdOx, please check your spam folders for an email from phoenix-point@support.crowdox.com

If you still have no email, you can re-request it by entering the email you used to back the game on Fig, here - https://app.crowdox.com/retrieve/100260/phoenix-point

If that fails, please email contact@snapshotgames.com

Snapshot Games Relocates to High Ground
.....well, just to a larger office really.

Last week, Julian and the rest of the crew moved all of their equipment (and snacks) to shiny new offices in Sofia. It has all of the modern facilities, including working electrical lighting, running water, flushing toilets, windows and a fridge - just for those of you concerned with their working conditions in the Fig campaign video!

https%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F0c371edf2be236e0c35c35e740675a29.jpg

If you want to see more, take a look around inside and meet some of the team, there's a lot more to see in our development update on our official Phoenix Point website.

New Team Members
As the Phoenix Point Project grows, so does the size of the development team. This month, Snapshot Games hired four new experienced and talented developers.

• Alex - Programmer
  • Fory - Rigger / Animator
  • Tsvety - Environmental Artist
  • Georgi - 3D Character Artist
To meet them and find out more about their past productions, please take a look at our development update on the official Phoenix Point website.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Speaking about fires.
Will those be part of the destructible environment?

Phoenix Point will have fires, explosions and fully destructible environments just like classic X-Com. The ballistics and destructible environments are being worked on next, and there should be a first implementation within the next 3 months.
This is kinda late, but will those fires be just visuals or will they have game play effect (cause damage, deny ground, spreads dynamically?)

I'm asking as a long time computer game pyromaniac.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good question my pyro-brother. I suffer from the same thing :)

Auto-canon with fire ammo in X-com Apocalypse. Good times.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Good question my pyro-brother. I suffer from the same thing :)

Auto-canon with fire ammo in X-com Apocalypse. Good times.
Original had the same thing.
Incendiaries were quite useful for area denial, only robots and silacoids (and who cares about those) could ignore fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom