Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
Speaking just for the IE games - how can you properly RP in a system where half the attributes are useless, a game never checks your stats, there are no skills, etc.?
Some people have great hair. Doesn't mean that'll be relevant in all of their endeavors.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Speaking just for the IE games - how can you properly RP in a system where half the attributes are useless, a game never checks your stats, there are no skills, etc.?
Some people have great hair. Doesn't mean that'll be relevant in all of their endeavors.

Having great hair always matters!

3vmpxQZ.png

:dance:

Signed,

Someone with great hair
(as far as you know)
((please don't try to fact check this statement))
(((Ok, I admit it. Bald as fuck.)))

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I've yet to see a BG2-like game where developers solved a problem of trash loot. Latest tendencies saw even more degenerative approach - setting entire types of loot as trash loot. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, PoE, this crap is everywhere. Sell trash loot s a separate button. I don't know which is worse - have trash loot category or have 30 simple iron swords of mediocricy.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trash loot is an institution in PoE and will be in Deadfire. Just look at how one third of your inventory UI shows the stash :D

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've yet to see a BG2-like game where developers solved a problem of trash loot. Latest tendencies saw even more degenerative approach - setting entire types of loot as trash loot. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, PoE, this crap is everywhere. Sell trash loot s a separate button. I don't know which is worse - have trash loot category or have 30 simple iron swords of mediocricy.

I recall the first Drakensang having trash loot but at least they were a bit self aware about it. There was a high level chest that only contained 99 balls of fluff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
? PoE's loot is less trashy than the IE games, that had entire classes of items that were only good for selling (rings, amulets, gems). In PoE you can use the gems for crafting and non-magical rings and amulets aren't really a thing.

Quillon

Arcane
Its perceived trashiness with most(all?) enemies dropping their generic equipment which won't stack in stash.

Sizzle

Arcane
Wasn't that going to be changed in PoE2 though?

Josh said they planned on changing that. Like, instead of 30 Xaurips dropping 30 Xaurip Simple Spears, they would instead drop 2 Xaurip Fine Spears. Or something similar.

They also said they implemented shortcuts for the bartering screen (so - now there's an easy option for selling all simple items in the stash).

Quillon

Arcane
Wasn't that going to be changed in PoE2 though?

Josh said they planned on changing that. Like, instead of 30 Xaurips dropping 30 Xaurip Simple Spears, they would instead drop 2 Xaurip Fine Spears. Or something similar.

They also said they implemented shortcuts for the bartering screen (so - now there's an easy option for selling all simple items in the stash).

Also

Mark Richard

Arcane
In the years after they saved the Dyrwood, the Watcher and his companions gave themselves to hedonistic pleasures and idleness, which blunted the adventuring skills they had honed during their hunt for Thalos.
:lol: I might buy that that given some of the past excuses.

Gothic 2: 'A brick fell on you.'
Ultima Underworld 2 : 'You got fat.'

There's a series of wrestling simulators where you can purposely play a character with no potential who'll go through a middling career and never amount to anything.

Is it Extreme Warfare?
Close enough! After the Extreme Warfare booking simulators from the 90s, the guy behind it signed up with Grey Dog Software to create Total Extreme Wrestling & the Wrestling Spirit series. TEW is also a booking simulator, but Wrestling Spirit focuses on a single wrestler's career, so it would have features unique to that series. I'm not sure how far back this particular feature goes, but I recall being able to pick a character's potential in Wrestling Spirit 2 & 3 which basically affects when their stats max out.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
that had entire classes of items that were only good for selling (rings, amulets, gems)

The game tricks you at first that they are just for selling, and most of them are, but things like Sphene gems, Rogue Stones, the Angel ring have a quest attached to them. And you have no way of knowing that. Worst of both worlds tbh.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Its perceived trashiness with most(all?) enemies dropping their generic equipment which won't stack in stash.

Stacking spears is also impossible in real life and in the IE games.

Really, you just bundle them instead of stacking, and then use multiple straps to keep them together.

Explaining to the Narita airport security why you're bringing a bunch of spears into Japan is a little harder. (But doable)

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
? PoE's loot is less trashy than the IE games

Complete non-sensical bullshit. If you are ever going to open the infinite stash of POE in your life, because you clearly haven't, you will see something like 100+ xaurip weapon (forgot the name) 100+ other dull weapon, 100+ boring small shield.... and so on

Items in BG1/BG2 were far more interesting and diverse.

It's always funny checking all the people who "agree" on those blatant lies. It's a-l-w-a-y-s the fucking same people (parabalus I hope you aren't doing this for free).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We were specifically talking about trash items that are only useful for selling.

You're wrong about that too, though. There were so many kobold short swords in BG1 that one of the game's dialogues had a joke about them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They have about equal amounts of trash imo. PoE is just more noticeable due to people picking up everything because of the infinite stash, then opening it and discovering endless mountains of trash. You don't have enough space to pick up everything in the BGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom