Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I dunno, seems pretty likely to me that ME:A does have better/more elaborate gameplay than the original trilogy. Weren't some people on the Codex excited by the pre-release videos with jetpacks and shit?

The game got trashed anyway because Biodrones are storyfags who don't care.

I fully expect those systems turn out to be hollow and unbalanced. I've seen to many games that are happy to throw crafting, armor/weapon modifications, skills etc at you with it all being irrelevant and superfluous. I'm always mad about Obsidian adding crafting to their games as an entirely optional and unneeded thing which requires lots of effort for getting the same thing you can buy or will eventually loot. Anyway for the moment MEA looks like it at least tries, gameplay requires some effort and my weapon/skill choices have clear effect on gameplay. As for the story it's hard to differentiate between different sorts of sci-fi B-movies, but at least MEA doesn't throw Joss Whedon's rejected ideas at me.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I dunno, seems pretty likely to me that ME:A does have better/more elaborate gameplay than the original trilogy. Weren't some people on the Codex excited by the pre-release videos with jetpacks and shit?

I fully expect those systems turn out to be hollow and unbalanced. I've seen to many games that are happy to throw crafting, armor/weapon modifications, skills etc at you with it all being irrelevant and superfluous. I'm always mad about Obsidian adding crafting to their games as an entirely optional and unneeded thing which requires lots of effort for getting the same thing you can buy or will eventually loot. Anyway for the moment MEA looks like it at least tries, gameplay requires some effort and my weapon/skill choices have clear effect on gameplay. As for the story it's hard to differentiate between different sorts of sci-fi B-movies, but at least MEA doesn't throw Joss Whedon's rejected ideas at me.

Somebody's clearly got a guilty pleasure.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Ilitarist -written, Infinitron -published revisionist "retrospective" of this game when?
"After the initial outrage which was solely about faulty facial animations and imaginary "SJW" -antics, even the harshest critics changed their minds about this only slightly-flawed gem."

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Ilitarist -written, Infinitron -published revisionist "retrospective" of this game when?
"After the initial outrage which was solely about faulty facial animations and imaginary "SJW" -antics, even the harshest critics changed their minds about this only slightly-flawed gem."

English is not my native language so I limit myself to forum rants. You can sleep peacefully.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

English is not my native language so I limit myself to forum rants. You can sleep peacefully.
Same for me, we have so much in common!

Iznaliu

Arbiter

A retrospective about Fallout 4 like this would be interesting. The drama!

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

This pretty much seems to be the consensus right now Gameplay-driven sequel to a series of mainly story-driven games. So, I can see that it might be enjoyable, if approached with right expectations. And, its initial tech & presentation issues appear to be mostly ironed out at this point.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
That's sad because ME2 was very popular but criticized for dropping so many gameplay systems it turned in a shooter with dialogues. ME1 was poorly balanced and many systems were bad but at least it gave you lots of toys, a sense of progression, exploration and a sense of a huge universe. In the end ME2 had very few mechanics but those remaining were executed more or less fine and even better in ME3 which brought back some equipment and skill customization.

Too bad that players didn't notice that MEA gave them a real game for the first time since ME1 and executed every gameplay thing better than it was before. Whatever it had lost in story terms was in my eyes absolved by a real gameplay; for all I care it might have a dungeon crawl plot and it'd still be OK game - maybe even better cause you wouldn't scroll through tedious dialogue with pseudochoice and got quests from a menu or somthing. It may be a first proper sci-fi openworld game with complex RPG gameplay systems if you don't count Fallout New Vegas, and even FNV was somewhat more limited gameplay-wise.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
ME2 is still the most celebrated game in the series, and a common sight on various top lists to this day. That should tell you where the interests of ME fans lay.
Hats off to devs for going for diametric change of direction, but IMO reception among fans would be pretty lackluster even without those initial technical hickups. We'll see tho, maybe Andromeda will manage to attract some sort of underground following during the next few years.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I remember Mass Effect 2 gameplay because it committed a rather unique sin in handling high difficulty.

Most of the weapons and powers in the game work well either against Health and Armor or Shields and Barriers. So when you see someone with Shields or Barriers you hit them with Overload or something, when it's Armor you use Incenerate or some biotics, when it's Health you use whatever you want. But if you play on Insanity... Everyone has Shields. Everyone. So your tactics is always the same. Destroy shields with automatic weapons and some powers, kill people with slow weapons and other powers. Every damn enemy - it's all the same. The game becomes harder but at the same time you get less diverse tactics. ME3 fixed that so that lower rank enemies can be smashed with throw/pull and stronger ones have to be softened.

And yet ME2 is the best RPG evah cause people die in it if you make wrong choices. It's similar to Witcher 3 in this regard which has decent gameplay but lacks character customization or playstyle diversity.

Honestly, many RPG fans would've benefited from switching to Telltale-style games.

Padzi

Arbiter
Batarians in Andromeda. Why?
--
Two former Batarians pirate-gang members had to escape to Andromeda because they couldn't find a place to hide IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING MILKY WAY GALAXY! :

inJao-95LHmCjfDI8KB6yhweFxamW4qT2QWSFcvAmQs.png

DemonKing

Arcane
ME2 was the first truly shit bioware game. I pains me deeply that people like it.

Sorry but I've gotta go with DA2 there. ME2 was streamlined for sure but at least it didn't overstay its welcome with padded fetch quests, an open world for no good reason or continually repeated environments.

Vorark

Erudite
They didn't even need to go as far back as First Contact War for a new game set in the Milky Way. Something like ME2 Omega, having the PC deal with the underworld could've been pretty decent in capable hands. No special snowflake syndrome or anything, you're just a normal guy/gal; no world or galaxy saving crisis. Wouldn't even matter much if it was before or after the events of ME3.

Instead, you had to travel all the way to Andromeda just to be turned into the almighty pathfinder or whatever and get shacked by pink space rabbits.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
ME2 was the first truly shit bioware game. I pains me deeply that people like it.

Sorry but I've gotta go with DA2 there. ME2 was streamlined for sure but at least it didn't overstay its welcome with padded fetch quests, an open world for no good reason or continually repeated environments.

Well DA2 is one of the worst games aver made so I won't say its better than ME2. But ME2 was the first really bad bioware RPG. It removed almost all the skills and turned game play into a cover shooter with romances while pretending to be a RPG. It was the point when they decided not to make real RPGs or rather make games primarily for the console crowd.

They did make the only black guys father a deadbeat dad who Cosby's women so its not all bad I guess.

Alkarl

Learned
I actually enjoyed Mass Effect 2 for what it was. Ya know, not an rpg, but a fairly enjoyable cover based shooter. It's definitely not a good one, but I wouldn't really care.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand was an absolute dumpster full of abortions as far as rpgs and games in general go. I think I find it most upsetting because it totally could have been a good game, I liked the premise anyway.

Course, I never really thought that highly of Biowares other games, so wtf do I know.

DemonKing

Arcane
Bio-games have gone through three ages so far:

1. Early Bioware - PC centric, games built by D&D fanboys for D&D fanboys.
2. Mid-Bioware. Console centric. Games built around hubs with a patented Bio-twist leading into an endgame. Some experimentation present in terms of setting
3. Late Bioware. Lost the plot. Bioware are a follower not a leader now. Games seemingly designed by a committee of SJWs for an audience that is non-existent with EA pumping out near enough is good enough product based on franchises established prior to the acquisition.

Not sure if I want to see what a 4th Bioware age looks like...

Rali56

Novice
I heard they (barely) fixed the facial animations.
Is this true?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom