Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Pillars of Eternity Revisited

Bluer

Novice
After reading the review I noticed a couple of typos:

...and at times even facisnating.
Obidian's team refined...
...you will definetely have found...

I didn't read parts of it because I didn't want to get spoiled as I haven't played through the game yet. Thank you for the retrospective.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The only thing I liked in PoE was Calisca, and they killed her.
Enough of this!

Might is still just strength as far as the game is concerned, so my weedy level 2 wizard was able to flip over tables due to his strength might score and that shit killed my suspension of disbelief right away.
Happened with me too.

Are we such desperate that we seek fame and new users on reddit or what?
Can someone read between the lines for poor Russian codexer fellow, and decifer this?

Zanzoken

Arcane
The issue here is not whether PoE is good or bad -- it's the fact that Codex is posting content with a clear goal of portraying the game in a positive light.

Let the rest of the game "journalists" handle the ass kissing. Codex may have a reputation for being too critical -- but when the media is essentially just a PR arm for devs & publishers then that dissenting voice is needed, even if it is overly harsh.

This "retrospective" may score some brownie points with Obsidian but it's bad for Codex credibility.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
No need to feel dirty. See, any way you google it, the number one search for codex PoE review is always the original masterpiece of buthurt. As far as the internet is concerned, that is the codex review. And it is going to stay that way no matter how many re-reviews we get.
When you google it, sure, but what if you yandex/baidu/duck duck go it?
the number one search for codex PoE review is always the original masterpiece of buthurt
m0lM3Wv.png

:hero:
Isn't that partially because google knows your preferences (and is spying on you basically, even when you're logged off they have your IP)? This is how it looks like for Yandex, Baidu and Duck Duck Go:

Roxor's review is highest on Baidu only.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did they fix the character system?
Are there choices by now that do not just do +5% here and +5% there?
Did the combat change from every character having 10-20 effects going on at the same time all of which do nothing except -5% to +5%, adding up to some numbers that are -20% to +20%?

No? Wake me up when the game has anything with impact going on.

Well, at least some of the stuns actually have a duration now...

PS: I did play the game with White March and I agree that the expansion content is much better.
But none of the game's other issues were ever fixed.
Balancing, my ass....

PPS: No, I do not hate PoE. I think it is an okay game (I had fun with it), but the amount of praise it gets from some people is just absurd.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
Oh come on, Goral. He didn't said just that, in that same quote he also said these things:

HOWEVER, that's still a big fucking disappointment after all this years. Having better presentation than a game from 17 years ago is nothing less than the minimal obligation of a dev today, and role-playing elements like PoE has are the norm today.
Everything that doesn't come from BG's original formula or from the "How to design games and make friends in 2010" book is just lackluster
The most memorable part of PoE is Raedric's Hold. Now compare that with Redcliffe Castle in Dragon Age and realize how banal that is even next to Derp Age.

Doesn't seem like he's going too kindly on PoE, frankly.
Also maybe felipepepe doesn't hold BG1 in such a high regard and so PoE being on par doesn't really mean much to him, since it's clear he thinks that BG2 is the great game in the series and way superior to its predecessor. Iirc, Vault Dweller even said that PoE was better than both BGs when it comes to roleplaying but that doesn't mean much when you don't really like neither of those games (as in his case).

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Rev
That doesn't change the fact that saying that he was a "fierce critic" of PoE is a huge exaggeration (or that PoE is MILES ahead of Tyranny, lol), he was basically disappointed and his critique was mild at most.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Rev
That doesn't change the fact that saying that he was a "fierce critic" of PoE is a huge exaggeration (or that PoE is MILES ahead of Tyranny, lol), he was basically disappointed and his critique was mild at most.

That is not a reasonable reading of that post. Saying it added what every modern game takes for granted (i.e., its improvements were something any designer could have done) and "proceeded to fuck up on the actual system underneath" is mild criticism only for those who don't understand what "fuck up" means.

felipepepe I really respect your work on cRPGs ( your crpg book thingy) and making an amazing blobber (generation xth) known to me.

When the Double fine disappoinment flooded the hyped up adventure game fans, your reaction was swift fierce brutal and honest. I am not too into adventure games, but your criticism of how double fine's action ( specially that of only one action instead of the mutitude of actions in old Sierra adv games and how dumbed down it was) was like a red pill of kickstarters to me.

Even your criticisms of PoE were thoughtful and to the point as Rev pointed out in his post.

I in principle agree with Darth Roxor's review that PoE was a dissapointment as it was painfully mediocre in all aspects. The best part of the IE games to me was the Mage Duels of BG2 and that is severly lacking with Josh's retarded every option is speshul and correct design policy.

Prime Junta review came as a desperate attempt to hide the desolate lackluster experience that is playing PoE.

Grunker is just grunkering with an extra large dose of shilling where he forcefeeds his retarded views on the IE games and other rpgs at the begining.

I repect you too much to accuse of being a shill.

But what made you take the blue pill in regards to PoE?

Is the decline and despair so much that there is no choice but to embrace it?

Why treat PoE as a saviour of crpgs when there are clearly superior options like D:OS, Underrail and AoD?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
That is not a reasonable reading of that post. Saying it added what every modern game takes for granted (i.e., its improvements were something any designer could have done) and "proceeded to fuck up on the actual system underneath" is mild criticism only for those who don't understand what "fuck up" means.
Maybe for a RPGWatcher/Neogaf user. And you know what other word he uses in the next sentence? "Lackluster". :lol:

Seriously, if starting a post with a softening comment like this:
PoE is a very hard game to criticize... it's almost impossible to talk about it without bringing in comparisons to other IE games, and that only makes it worse, leading to historical context debates. And those are a pain in the butt.
is an example of fierce critique then... [insert insults here]

Saying it's on par with BG though should end this argument instantly though. And it's not just this post, I'm too lazy to do this for the rest of his posts.

Rev

Arcane
I don't know, saying that everything that isn't copied from BG1's formula is bad doesn't seem mild to me. He probably changed (at least a bit) his opinion on PoE in the two years since its original release, maybe because he played with the patches or TWM and enjoyed it or maybe because he simply stopped caring so much about it, but at the time he wrote some very critic pieces about PoE (and in fact guys like Roxor and others who were not happy with Obsidian's work agreed with him), it's just that he never wrote a simple "it's utter shit/the worst thing ever" one-liner but more elaborate posts as in "the game had the potential to be good but it really isn't and this is why".

Prime Junta

I know this may come as a shock to you good
fanboy.png
s, but ranting and screaming while foaming at the mouth !== fierce criticism. Fierce criticism can be mildly worded and polite. It's all about the strength of the arguments.

Stompa

Arcane
I mean, PoE has 82 monster types in the bestiary, plus the humanoid enemies. Tyranny has THREE enemy types, but I guess they both have "same encounters copy pasted all over the game" because your butthurt says so.

In release PoE those 82 monster types didn't matter for shit, only 3 of them were actually sorta relevant to gameplay as you had to change your tactics to beat them (shadows, vampires and adra dragon). The rest you just checked the DR and did the usual things, and given the density of the combat in this game, you soon had a feeling you've fought that encounter 20 times already.

Lhynn

Arcane
So Tyranny has better combat and Sword Coast Legends has better companions and character building than Pillars of Eternity? Seriously?
Dont lump me with mortmal.
SCL has better companions and character building indeed. It was just bad compared to 5E, and it was worse because that was a standard they set on themselves. PoEs system is the worst thing ive seen, its an abomination, its even worse than F.A.T.A.L.

I'm sure Durance
He was good but didnt belong in the game, narratively speaking he was a freaking alien. Everything and everyone else was so different in tone it was like barbie releasing a lovecraftian horror edition.

Grieving Mother
She was alright, kinda the same problem than durance.

A borring non-entity. Never gonna understand why some dumbfucks praise that thing, i found more depth and interesting conversation on a custom party member.

the amazing characters in SCL
What the fuck do you even know? have you beaten the fucking game? Codexers are so full of shit i swear to god, talking out of their asses all they long.

While they are based on stereotypes, all of those characters have depth. And their stories are intertwined with the games main quest or its side quests (which are all related in some way with the main story).
The elven priest, the human paladin, both the halfling brothers, the dwarven rogue and even the derro rogue are fairly interesting characters. They all have an entertaining enough story to tell, with a message. About duty, about greed, about faith, about youth, about family, etc.
Its not fucking Shakespeare, but its something. Ill take it 100 times over that overhyped and overrated piece of trash.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I mean, PoE has 82 monster types in the bestiary, plus the humanoid enemies. Tyranny has THREE enemy types, but I guess they both have "same encounters copy pasted all over the game" because your butthurt says so.

those 82 monster types didn't matter for shit, only 3 of them were actually sorta relevant to gameplay as you had to change your tactics to beat them (shadows, vampires and adra dragon). The rest you just checked the DR and did the usual things, and given the density of the combat in this game, you soon had a feeling you've fought that encounter 20 times already.

Bullshitz. Even the difference betweem individual Lagufaeth is huge and no two types use the same AI. The Sidewinders will fuck you up with some of the highest damage in the game on PotD while the Broodmother is a kind of Caster tank, making the correct choice of who to focus - her or sidewinders - different for different parties. Getting to them in the first place is can be an ordeal in some of the random encounters, and getting to them without losing your backline even more so. Some times it can even be correct to start with a focus on their frontline if there are few sidewinders to protect your own. This is not your tactics changing depending on fighting Lagufaeth or another enemy type - it's just the individual composition of Lagufaeth groups.

And these are just your basic ass enemies, nearly every other enemy in the game has more going on than them.

Saying that you only have to change your tactics for three tells me one of two things: you're not playing on PotD, or you haven't played the game since 1.x.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
<---- retard

Though, what's your point then? Your points aren't really relevant at this point. Also the lack of imperative to switch tactics at launch was more due to lack of hard counters and monster defenses/AI than missing monster diversity per se.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

It's telling that the usual suspects have fallen back on "but on release it was kind of shit." That the best you can do at this point?

Stompa

Arcane
Wouldn't expect people to go back to play a 20+ hour game they didn't like solely to prove a guy on the Codex wrong.

When you google it, sure, but what if you yandex/baidu/duck duck go it?
Isn't that partially because google knows your preferences (and is spying on you basically, even when you're logged off they have your IP)? This is how it looks like for Yandex, Baidu and Duck Duck Go:
Roxor's review is highest on Baidu only.
Nah, I change IPs all the time and am not in the habit of logging in. It is simply that the original review by our rat overlord is the most viewed, most discussed and most linked by far, which is what puts it on the top of google search. And that is not going to change any time soon, nobody outside of codex cares about codex PoE review number... is this five or six now? I lost count. Retrospective ( :lol: ) or not. As for other engines, well Baidu has at least some users, but it too prefers the DR review. The other three are... well, let's face it, insignificant. Google is the big boy here, for good and bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom