Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have 979 games on Steam, most of them "played" for about 4 hours because that's how long it takes to drop cards.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Some people have so many DVDs that they end up buying them twice. Like my brother who likes Jack Nicholson. I mentioned a few of his best movies, one was "One flew over the cuckoo's nest", and he said he couldn't wait to see it.
A few days later he told me he owned the movie on DVD for years and never opened it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have 701 games. 60% at least is indie bundle fodder games. And around 15% of the rest would have been refunded if that system was in place back when. Backlog is getting a bit big though, but I'm constantly suffering from the paradox of choice :( Hard to stick to one facking thing.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
You mean there's a Single Player Campaign, AND it's free?
What's the catch?
Online connection required.
Also that after you play a while you'll probably be really tempted to buy extra inventory tabs even if you give zero shits about cosmetics. It's not necessary to do so though. (I haven't played it in 2 years though, so this may have changed).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
steam.jpg

I have only 26 games in my entire steam library, most between 20 and 350 hours played, with ~half over 70.
Ahnnn...where are the rpgs, tho?

My computer has a CPU with an integrated video card.

:negative:

It runs flawlessly on integrated Intel cards too:

I keep almost buying alien isolation and then don't. That video and you guys talking about it makes me wish I had bought . Oh well, winter is coming, maybe I can get it then. Its not like I will run out of games in my backlog before I die anyway.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Alien Isolation is a good 8 hour game that CA decided to stretch to 16 hours through lots of shameless padding. The first few hours are great; the alien is a legitimately terrifying creature, and the game steadily introduces new mechanics and items to use to ward off or distract enemies to keep the gameplay from going stale. Then you hit an obvious point for the game to end...and it decides to keep going. Then a few hours later you reach another obvious high point for the game to end on...and it decides yet again that it doesn't want to end just yet. Then it happens again a few hours after that, and only then does the game feel merciful enough to actually fucking end.

By this point, the game had already introduced everything it has to offer mechanically a few hours ago, all your doing is fulfilling sub-objective after tedious sub-objective the game has to throw at you, and the Alien has long since stopped being a terrifying horror to avoid, but a hair-tearingly annoying pest who will usually just plain-old cheat in order to kill you and send you back to your last checkpoint 15 minutes before. Never before have I seen such a quality game be so thoroughly ruined by superfluous content bloat and unnecessary story padding.

I play path of exile, I like it. But I do like Grim Dawn more for some reason, not sure why. I think it looks better for one, but path of exile is a fun game.

You should check your eyes or buy better potato, PoE is miles better looking that GD.
:whatho:

well maybe I am not remembering right, its been awhile since I played path of exile

TripJack

Hedonist
Then you hit an obvious point for the game to end...and it decides to keep going. Then a few hours later you reach another obvious high point for the game to end on...and it decides yet again that it doesn't want to end just yet. Then it happens again a few hours after that, and only then does the game feel merciful enough to actually fucking end.
i assume the first obvious point is
the jettisoned lab module

what's the second?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Then you hit an obvious point for the game to end...and it decides to keep going. Then a few hours later you reach another obvious high point for the game to end on...and it decides yet again that it doesn't want to end just yet. Then it happens again a few hours after that, and only then does the game feel merciful enough to actually fucking end.
i assume the first obvious point is
the jettisoned lab module

what's the second?
The three obvious end points are
1. Jettisoning the Alien
2. Blowing up the Alien nest
3. Stopping the guy from destroying the station

After these consecutive emotional high-points of the game, the actual ending of the game feels like a bit of a wet fart by comparison.

Beowulf

Arcane
Still more than worth it.
Only thing I really, really miss is a sequel, especially with that ending.

The ending was shit and predictable.
Nevertheless, it was my personal GOTY 2014 and I still browse forums from time to time, deluding myself and searching for any info on the sequel.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My computer has a CPU with an integrated video card.

:negative:
Most games run on my HD4000 just fine though. Albeit I played Alien:Isolation on eGPU, I tested iGPU and it run just fine with over 30 FPS. The same applies to everything else I ever wanted to play, save for Twitcher 3 and Dragon Age 3. iGPUs are quite powerful now, and games are decently optimized.

Burning Bridges

steam.jpg

I have only 26 games in my entire steam library, most between 20 and 350 hours played, with ~half over 70.
Ahnnn...where are the rpgs, tho?

At the moment I play no RPGs at all, the newer one's are all shit afaik.

I only use Steam since ~2015. And I got some review copies of the decent newer games.

Beastro

Arcane
I keep almost buying alien isolation and then don't. That video and you guys talking about it makes me wish I had bought . Oh well, winter is coming, maybe I can get it then. Its not like I will run out of games in my backlog before I die anyway.

If you buy it look for the mod that untethers the Xeno from you. Do that and its erratic wandering makes the random factor go up huge in more ways than one. At first it may seem not as scary, but the upside long term is you don't get desensitized by knowing it'll pop out at any moment predictably and, like Jick said, simply become an annoyance.

Back to the randomness. You make a noise and suddenly it's not expectedly coming out somewhere looking for you, and often you can make a fuck ton of noise and it won't, but then as you get used to that it'll come out over something trivial when you're totally not prepared.

I messed around with it at a spot with two non-aggressive NPCs, the one where in my first playthrough I tinkered with seeing how the noise makers worked, which ALWAYS brought the Xeno but now didn't, nor did my banging of the wrench on the wall to lure it like I'd do to save on noise makers.

In the end I wound up running around them as they freaked out jumping while banging on the walls and after a minute it finally ran up behind me having come out of the ceiling some ways away so I didn't hear it just as I turned to look it in the face. That was the first real scare the game had given me, not just a simple jump one like before, it was like waking up realizing a spider was in bed with me. After that I tried the jumping again, which took longer to bring it out, but was able to barely get into a locker as it killed the NPCs, but being a locker in this game, it eventually found me and killed me.

Short story: By not being able reliably lure it out you can become complacent and so set yourself up for real scares to happen as well as false alarms that would have brought it out looking for you 100% of the time. At the same time the mod pretty much prevents you from using the Xeno as a reliable weapon to kill others which really limits your ability to be aggressive, forcing you to be more cautious as well making you be more choosy as to when you decide to use noise makers (and if they'll even do what you plan).

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Balls I just found a game I want and the sale is over. It is expensive too...

If you really want it buy it all the same or wait a few months until the next sale. The discounts get better with time, for example I was not willing to pay 60€ for Arma Apex edition and now got it for 20€

But if I really want something I'd buy it. Dilemmas only arise if I don't know if I really want a game, and in that case I'd DON'T buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom