Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

Gunnar

Arbiter
So single player mode is much easier than playing with a party. My monk just stomps everything and even started gaining magic skill so now I can cast everything on top of being god tier fighter as well. All stats are in the 70-80 range. I got bored running through the dungeons so I'm just going directly for the end game dungeons and having no problem. Too bad, I was hoping single player mode would be something like a challenge mode.
How did your monk fare against Merchant guards and Treasure Vault guards?

I killed the treasure vault guards using walls/water/golem tactic, so I walked up to a random guard mob in Galakto and attacked them to find out.

I just stood out in the open and used quick combat. They can barely touch me. All the archers ran out of arrows without hitting me. The guards can hit me like 1 hit in 20. I had absolutely no buffs on or any healing stuff. I killed half of them before dying so I assume if I moved into a corner and put on some buffs or used any tactics I would kill them easily. It just takes forever because they have healing pots. My end game party gets totally slaughtered by these enemies.

Monsters are toned down too much in single player mode, IMO.

kothyxaan

Novice
Skills

Barbarian
+5 2-hand sword, 2-h axe, mace/club, polearm, Toughness, kicking,
+4 sword, axe, dagger/knife, throw, hunting,
+3 staff, dual wielding
+2 bow, crossbow, shield, blacksmith, swimm, lockpick,
+1 blow pipe, Martial arts, steal, search, backstab, trade, dodge, stealth, magic, pray, aclemy, scribe, music, mind penetrate

Bard
+5 music
+4 trade
+3 sword, axe, mace, staff, polearm, dagger, throw, bow, xbow, MA, shield, hunt, search, lockpick, magic, mind pentration
+2 2-h sword, 2-h axe, dual wield, tough, kic, steal, backstab, blacksmith, swim, dodge, stealth
+1 blowpipe, prayer

fighter
+5 sword, axe, mace, staff, pole, dagger, throw, bow, xbow, dual wield
+4 2-h sword, 2-h axe, shield, tough, kick
+3 hunt, backstab, swim, dodge, locks,
+2 MA, search, blacksmith, stealth
+1 blowpipe, steal, magic, prayer, alchemy, scribe, music, mind pen

mage
+5 magic, alchemy, scribe,
+4 mind pen
+3 trade,
+2 staff, hunt, search, swim, dodge, locks
+1 rest combat skills (apart from staff), tought, kick, steal, backstab, smith, stealth

merchant
+5 trade
+4 sword, axe, staff, dagger, bow, xbow
+3 2-h sword, 2-h axe, mace, pole, throw, shield, dual wield, smith, swim, dodge,
+2 MA, tough, kick, steal, hunt, search, backstab, locks, stealth, music
+1 bpipe, magic, pray, alchemy, scribe, mind pen

Monk
+6 dodge
+5 MA, stealth
+4 hunt, search, trade, pray
+3 tough, swim, locks, scribe, mind pen
+2 sword, axe, mace, staff, pole, dagger, throw, bow, xbow, kick, backstab, smith,
+1 2-h sword, 2-h axe, pipe, shield, dual wield, steal, magic, alchemy, music

priest
+5 pray, scribe
+3 trade, alchemy, mind pen,
+2 mace, hunt, search, backstab, smith, swim, dodge, locks
+1 rest of combat skills (apart from mace), tough, kick, stealth, magic, music

ranger
+5 dual wield, hunt, searthc, swim
+4 sword, axe, bow, xbow, stealth,
+3 2-h sword, 2-h axe,, mace, staff, pole, dagger, throw, MA, tough, backstab, smith, trade, dodge, locks
+2 kick, pray, scribe, mind pen
+1 pipe, steal magic, alchemy, music

thief
+5 steal, search, backstab, dodge, locks, stealth
+4 sword, staff, dagger, throw, bow, xbow, shield, hunt. smith, swim,
+3 2-h sword, axe, 2-h axe, mace, pole, MA, tough,
+2 dual wield, kick, trade,
+1 pipe, all spell skills + music

shaman
+5 alchemy, mind pen
+4 magic, pray, scribe
+2 staff, search, trade, swim
+1 left overs

kothyxaan

Novice
Quick Questions:

Are there limits on how high a skill/stat/resistance can go?
Is there a guaranteed chance to miss/hit/resist chance(so even the best of fighters can miss or the worst of fighters hit etc)?

Gunnar

Arbiter
Quick Questions:

Is there a guaranteed chance to miss/hit/resist chance(so even the best of fighters can miss or the worst of fighters hit etc)?

Just my personal experience, in my solo playthrough I have 500+ in my top skills and 80+ in stats, haven't reached any limit there. resistances seem to cap out at 100%. I haven't noticed that I missed any weaker monsters so I don't think there is a flat % chance to miss.

kothyxaan

Novice
Another question.
I am having a problem with the Wardel the priest (Odrewold) Quest. The kill the demon one.
I have explored the map, but I must be missing something. There is a corridor to the SW (purple colour) that I cannot move down, it keeps warping me back to the start... what am I missing?

quasimodo

Augur
Another question.
I am having a problem with the Wardel the priest (Odrewold) Quest. The kill the demon one.
I have explored the map, but I must be missing something. There is a corridor to the SW (purple colour) that I cannot move down, it keeps warping me back to the start... what am I missing?

That corridor is just a dead end. Go back and try the other exits on the other levels, eventually one will take you to a place you haven't been before.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Quick Questions:

No cap on stats. Theoretically You can gain 1000 strength and witness the benefits in carrying capacity and damage dealt by your fighter to the enemy.

Quick Questions:

Maybe if the monster is high enough level, like tougher golems or demons, then your high level fighter might miss, but I don't remember being annoyed about my hi-level fighters/archers missing.

kothyxaan

Novice
Thanks again for the replies folks. It turns out that *coughs*idalreadykilledhimijustdidntrealiseitwashim...helookedlikeacrown!*coughs*ithoughtitwasjustanotheranimatedobject*coughs*
Really do have mixed feeling on the no cap thing.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Thanks again for the replies folks. It turns out that *coughs*idalreadykilledhimijustdidntrealiseitwashim...helookedlikeacrown!*coughs*ithoughtitwasjustanotheranimatedobject*coughs*
Really do have mixed feeling on the no cap thing.

I agree, each class should have a unique skill cap set. It can be high enough that you would only really run into it on solo mode, or if you did a lot of grinding on party mode.

kothyxaan

Novice
Aye... some kind of cap would be nice.
Skill+ * 50 + 250 or some such (maybe influenced by stats). That would mean a scale of 300 - 500... meh I dont know. I never did finish the game (working on it now though) so I do not know how high the skills should go.
Stats could be based of race/class combo.

More Wish List:
Push command: A no damage "push the npc, who is in my way, out of my way" kind of thing.
ID Monster Skill (something rangers could excel in) - it could show roughly what stats/res/skills a monster has (this could be just my curiosity). Could be based on killing monsters.
Remove Curse: Have priests/elders/alchemists have a remove curse option to their speech. You pay amount of gold to have an item uncursed (apart from the uncurse scroll I have saw nothing to remove curses so far).
Cheats: A controversial subject I know! ;) But if someone wants to cheat in a single player game... up to them (it is also good for testing things, and cheats could be used to make things more difficult not just easier).

Josh Guide update (the helherron_edited zip file):
Material:
Adamantium: +4 to items, +20% resist all (never though to check weight effect).
Also figured out how to make a column for Shaman (not pretty so far though).

Really wish there was a way to add attachments. Anyone want me to send them the updated file?

kothyxaan

Novice
Possible Bug:
The Champions Fist is not considered magical (ghost sat and laughed at my character while he was hitting it... well until his companion slaughtered it with a hit when I took the game of quick combat).

quasimodo

Augur
Aye... some kind of cap would be nice.
Skill+ * 50 + 250 or some such (maybe influenced by stats). That would mean a scale of 300 - 500... meh I dont know. I never did finish the game (working on it now though) so I do not know how high the skills should go.
Stats could be based of race/class combo.

More Wish List:
Push command: A no damage "push the npc, who is in my way, out of my way" kind of thing.
ID Monster Skill (something rangers could excel in) - it could show roughly what stats/res/skills a monster has (this could be just my curiosity). Could be based on killing monsters.
Remove Curse: Have priests/elders/alchemists have a remove curse option to their speech. You pay amount of gold to have an item uncursed (apart from the uncurse scroll I have saw nothing to remove curses so far).
Cheats: A controversial subject I know! ;) But if someone wants to cheat in a single player game... up to them (it is also good for testing things, and cheats could be used to make things more difficult not just easier).

Josh Guide update (the helherron_edited zip file):
Material:
Adamantium: +4 to items, +20% resist all (never though to check weight effect).
Also figured out how to make a column for Shaman (not pretty so far though).

Really wish there was a way to add attachments. Anyone want me to send them the updated file?

Uncurse is a "very hard" level priest spell. In my game my priest has it.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I've never found a cursed item that I went on to uncurse and use.

kothyxaan

Novice
Yeh ive not found the book yet, found a scroll though. The item would need to be good to uncurse (unless like Quasimodo they have the spell, then meh).

Champions Fist cant be enchanted either.

kothyxaan

Novice
Wish list:
1) How about animals dropping food? When you hunt you get food, when you kill an elk/rabbit etc, no food.
2) Items in the world map dissapear after a period of time (saves clutter).

Observation:
You cannot create a troll shaman character, but you can fight troll shamans.

akuukka

Educated
Hi all!

I've made some pretty cool changes to the Castle Galatako gladiator arena system. Now the fight for championship has no end! Even after you become the champion, you will have to defend your championship against challengers. If a challenger appears (which happens usually within a week after becoming the champion) and you refuse to defend your championship for more than 30 days, you lose your championship status. Championship matters because your reward is higher when you are fighting as the ruling champion.

The opponents will become slowly, but exponentially stronger, but so will your rewards. How far can you get?

Gunnar

Arbiter
Very cool update, thanks akuukka for keeping them up! I think I'm done with Helherron for now but wanted to say thank you for the cool game, it was more enjoyable than most and you should be proud of it.

My personal wishlist for Helherron:

- a combat log
- writing/dialogue pass, right now it's rough as hell
- i think it would be really cool if the game tracked how many demonic cults you have destroyed (give an option at each altar to smash it or something) then at the end of the game the races that still have active cults could show up to help the final boss.
- on NPC dialogue please save me a click and instantly give 'info' text, then I can ask about a quest
- add a little reactivity in important areas, like at at the end when you beat the game the queen should acknowledge that you've done it
- do something interesting with cursed items
- rework solo player mode into a challenge mode
- final areas are a boring slog, you should add some juicy top tier items to grab down there
- enemies killed by firestorm turned to ashes (black death palette) and can't resurrect
- give a different ending depending on how many days have passed to encourage being frugal with resting

akuukka

Educated
- give a different ending depending on how many days have passed to encourage being frugal with resting

I am planning a difficulty time bomb where undead enemies slowly but surely gain more power as time goes by, because of the Curse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom