Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I prefer the DS 1 Firelink Shrine song; the Majula one can be a bit grating depending on whether you listen to it in-game or by itself. It's still excellent, though. I also find Majula to be exceptionally pretty; I'd love to live there.

sullynathan

Arcane
All the hubs were shit, Dark Souls did it better. Hate having a necessary hub that always needs the player to teleport to with long loading times. The good blacksmiths weren't even at The Nexus.

Black Angel

Arcane
If only the actually make DeS's Nexus but with the hub interconnected functionality of DS1's Firelink Shrine *sigh*

And yeah, DS 1's Firelink Shrine music is the best hub music.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dusted off and fired up the ol' PS3 for another run through of DeS a couple days ago. I decided to do a tanky strength build, first time ever. I usually go with dex or magic builds. I've never done a faith build.

Do you have a build in mind, D_X?

Hyperion

Arcane
Tank builds are simple as can be.
Pump Vit
Use a Pure Dragonstone to +5 Dragon your favorite weapon to tide your over
Get Pure White Character Tendency
Get Demonbrandt
Upgrade to Northern Regalia in NG+

Enjoy.

You should have let me screw my build up. :lol:

Seriously though, thanks. I'll look into that. I really want to equip heavy armor on my char and stomp around angrily with a big weapon, and try and go toe to toe with bosses. :D

Last edited:
That's one of my favorite builds. I got a char like that into NG+ after a few goes of getting used to the game. I'm sure you'll enjoy that build.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Regenerator build is my favorite, ring+shield+weapon, heavy armor, pump end/vit/faith and get second chance and you're practically invincible plus hardly any need for grass, except in a tight place, maybe the swamps. I recommend Mirdan Hammer or w/e, the polearm, for that extra range, 2h for the R2/running R2. PvP with this build is a bit humourous.. till they pull out the scraping spear.

Regenerator build is my favorite, ring+shield+weapon, heavy armor, pump end/vit/faith and get second chance and you're practically invincible plus hardly any need for grass, except in a tight place, maybe the swamps. I recommend Mirdan Hammer or w/e, the polearm, for that extra range, 2h for the R2/running R2. PvP with this build is a bit humourous.. till they pull out the scraping spear.

I was thinking about going with a faith build for my current run but most of the spells seemed aimed at PvP and/or Co-op and I'm playing offline. I get the whole regen thing, though. I used the Adjudicator Shield and regen ring a fair bit, but it made PvE less exciting for me. Still, that's a solid build.

Magic in Souls games:decline:

Why do you think that?

Tehdagah

Arcane
I wanna replay this but the last time I played it the servers were ghost towns.

Silva

Arcane
So what if it's fantasy? Magic is easy mode and takes away the whole point of the game that is to interact with enemies on a melee basis. "Did u see the Dancer? How beautiful and rhythmic her movements are!". "Nope, threw 3 super fireballs in her face and she hadn't time to dance".

The exception is Bloodborne, where magic is macho mode.

Tehdagah

Arcane
So what if it's fantasy? Magic is easy mode and takes away the whole point of the game that is to interact with enemies on a melee basis. "Did u see the Dancer? How beautiful and rhythmic her movements are!". "Nope, threw 3 super fireballs in her face and she hadn't time to dance".

The exception is Bloodborne, where magic is macho mode.
Magic exists to be used, otherwise it wouldn't be in the game. I also don't think it's cheap, although I never played with a build focused on magic so I don't really know.

"Magic is easy mode and takes away the whole point of the game that is to interact with enemies on a melee basis."

:nocountryforshitposters:

Soul games aren't beat em ups.

Hyperion

Arcane
Magic exists to be used, otherwise it wouldn't be in the game.
Well of course, nobody is saying it isn't. But it wasn't balanced terribly well, particularly in the first 2 games in the series. It trivialized pretty much everything in Demon's Souls because virtually every enemy you faced was melee, save for a few annoyances. Faster enemies, with more aggressive AI combined with slower cast speed made Spellcasters riskier.

although I never played with a build focused on magic
Give it a shot and see how silly it is in DeS.

Alkarl

Learned
Certain spells are alright. The utilitarian ones are pretty great, like the spell that reduces fire damage, sweat? Idk, it's been awhile. Playing as a spell caster in most Souls games is just boring. Although I really enjoyed my int build on DaS1, no magic, just an Enchanted Great Scythe +5. Even with only 30 int I was very nearly two shotting most bosses up til the Lord Vessel. I never played Bloodborne, but I feel like Dark Souls 2 attempted to do something about the issue with dark spells costing souls and caster equipment boosting spell damage while leaving them fairly exposed. Of course, they kinda fucked up poise so you were typically better off in light armor.

That being said, while I might not personally use magic on the majority of my builds, none of the enemies are necessarily built around lack or possession of magic. I can completely ignore it and it has no effect on me outside of pvp, and even in pvp, you've got casters that either stand no chance or provide a different challenge.

Feels wrong, cheap and not as satisfactory.

Yeah, it's true that spells make the game easier. So do bows.

Still, I found spells fun.

Edit: I think the major problem, I found, with spell casting builds was the fact that you can make them tanky so easily. It would have been a little more balanced if the player had to invest more into the Intelligence and Magic stats to make spells viable at the expense of tankiness. Same for bows. Barely need to invest in Strength and Dexterity, upgrading bows to +3-4 takes very little time, and then you're picking off enemies like nothing.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
tank builds are shit in this game. There are only 2 good weapons in the entirety of Demons Souls which sucks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom