Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Which raises the question. Since you were playing Deepest Dark for Derpest Dungeon and acknowledged it was the only thing making it a real game, why are you not playing the better Xulima version instead of wasting time with this trash? You're not here for trolling so there's nothing here for you.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I finished vanilla LoX long ago and not ready for another run - it's really long game.
I have same problem with Pillars. I know that addons made it much better game, but just can't force myself.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
The grindiness dissuades me from playing again, but I don't get the massive whine about RNG - is it really so hard to navigate to the save directory and make a copy after a playing session? ;x
Takes like 4 seconds or something.

Celerity

Still better than Derpest. Might also be shorter.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Can we get an honest assessment of the DLC that isn't plagued by butthurt?

I wouldn't recommend it, tbh. It's about 3-4 hours of fresh content that is artificially padded into 30-40 hours. The crimson court itself is overstretched and, to access it, you will need to pass lots and lots of weeks somehow. So if you've already played the basic game to the fullest, it's just too much of a chore.

Mind you, the new content is pretty decent. But it's not worth so much time investment. I dunno, I might try to write a review for the codex, but I'm not sure how my journalism skills are - haven't written anything for years.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A review would be nice!

The new content is good if you like the game, but it also exacerbates many of the core problems with DD. I.e. if you find you can deal with or even enjoy the grind, it's for you.

Word of advice (I really suggest you read this):

1) Build a Sanguine Vintners district ASA-fucking-P.

2) Even though it's tedious as fuck, never treat any heroes affected with the curse in the same building as non-cursed heroes.

Last edited:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I found the "new content" rather intrusive - even if you don't go to the new area, its enemies will appear in other dungeons with the sole purpose of infecting your heroes with the uncurable crimson disease in order to force the new "content" on you.
Aka we designed 20 hours of twilightest dungeon™ here, so you better sit through it. About as annoying as a sneaky installation of some shitty toolbar into your browser. :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I disagree. The new enemies are well-designed and a welcome addition to the dungeons. If the curse was less of a tedium, I'd say the DLC is very good overall.

Celerity

You should just write a review on trolling the shill cucks. It's far more entertaining and less grindy. Worth more than 1,337 hours!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Probably the closest I've ever gotten to rage-quitting in a game:

sxvpSwJr-VwFnRaOj_g94txtDdiTJoeLpimxtYUXJYs.jpg

That is one bullshit-bug after one nailass-biting fight

Celerity

Rekt Hook can't code. Some things never change.

Suicidal

Arcane
I watched some gameplay videos of the DLC and I really like the style they went for - instead of the typical Dracula-like vampires there are parasitic vampire insects that infested the mansion and turned everyone into insectoid-human mutants that crave blood. However, gameplay wise there doesn't seem to be all that much new content and you have to keep grinding the old content in order to access the new dungeon every once in a while.

A shame that this style is wasted on such a meh game...

Celerity

Blame Tyler Cuckman, the perpetually Triggered by Trump(tm).

Seethe

Arbiter
Looks like they made it even grindier, with even more bullshit. Just why. This is not incompetence, just intentional bad design.

Celerity

Like I said from the start, they really are that fucktarded. Alternately they're so triggered by me they're ruining their own shit out of spite, except it doesn't hurt me at all and amuses me a great deal.

Gulnar

Scholar
So, bought this and played for around 80 hours. On radiant, so the grind is a LOT less.

A) the new dlc class is completly overpowered. It basically cannot be killed if it's not oneshotted. On the other hand, other classes got nerfed. Jester lost finale, Abom and HM life got nicked, and some trinkets got nerfed.
B) the new enemies in the dlc are completly broken. They're basically on the level of the darkest dungeon monsters, and you can encounter them in the common dungeon if infestation is high. On top of that, they spread the 'crimson curse' which is basically vampirism, which is basically a incurable* sickness that requires luck, grinding, or planning ahead NOT to have your hero die of it, since you NEED blood which drops only from dlc monsters. Also, the crimson curse spreads in town if you're not careful, so you CAN end with a roster full of vampires that will die (beacuse they die in town if they're not fed too).
C) the new bosses and missions are completly and utterly overpowered. The first mission (which appears on week 3, and has NO warning of it) it's basically a long mission, except you have no bonfires, and there's a mandatory boss which is harder than the same-level baseline bosses. On top of that, that boss becomes a uncommon enemy in the other dlc missions. Also, the new wandering boss, the fanatic, is basically a hag with THREE actions per turn that deal incredibly high stress damage AND high damage, and can appear in any dungeon when you bring 2+ vampires. He also offers no rewards but a "very rare" trinket. To make a comparison, champion (lvl 5) medium dungeons give a "very rare" trinket, so basically, you'll be drowning in them. To make a comparison: the crimson court is less difficult than the darkest dungeon.
D) The dlc dungeon is too big. This would be positive, if this game would be about dungeon delving. But this game isn't about dungeon delving. This game is about administering a roster of heroes so you manage to reach a specific objective. To make another comparison: DLC mission 1 is as big as a medium/long mission, DLC mission 2 and 3 are as big as Darkest Dungeon 3, and i haven't reached DLC mission 4, but from what i heard it's EVEN BIGGER. Oh, and you start those missions without firewood. You can retire from the and restart where you left, but you need a item that you'll have to grind in the normal dungeon from the dlc monsters that spawn in random dungeons - or rather that should spawn, since the spawn rate is incredibly low. And even when they spawn, they're more than capable of killing a unprepared party without even dropping the required item...

So basically it's the same as old: a game with a great graphical style, a awesome atmosphere, and the shittest mechanics ever known to man.
Oh, btw, Celerity, do you remember corpses? Because in a somewhat recent update a monster was added (Hateful Virago) that spawn heal-blocking funguses from corpses.

*You CAN cure it, but to do so you have to reach a milestone in the dlc, and to do so you need at very least 15 weeks for the infestation to go from low to high, AND to grind the whole crimson court dungeon in which you are currently.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
So, I've been waiting for the DLC to try this game, but it seems I won't be buying it. Are there are mods that can make this game at least somewhat playable? Or should I stick to Infra Arcana?

Andhaira

Arcane
So, I've been waiting for the DLC to try this game, but it seems I won't be buying it. Are there are mods that can make this game at least somewhat playable? Or should I stick to Infra Arcana?

Don't listen to the retards here. Just buy the core game, it's excellent. Don't get the DLC yet, at least not until you have played the main game. The gameplay is pretty good; yes its grindy but you won't really notice as the gameplay is a lot of fun.

((I don't like what I am reading about the DLC (vampirism and all) but that's only in the DLC, not the main game. Another thing is that the DLC is being bashed by people in this thread, so take that with a grain of salt as well.)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I'll admit that what this game has going on is its art style, the rest is problematic in design. It's not a bad game, but there are some key elements that somewhat fail in my eyes. A lot of people insist on how grindy it is, and it's true - but it misses the deeper point. Tactical games in general are "grindy" in nature - they are a set of challenges that are all very similar in nature. The overall structure from challenge to challenge doesn't really change. But it's the little details that count - managing positioning, terrain, abilities, weaponry. Tactical games also benefit a great deal from rpg-like progression mechanics, as seen in the original X-Com - they allow the game to evolve, add challenges, options, etc, and also a feeling of attachment to individual units. One thing that tactical games can also do well to alleviate the feeling of grind is make battle hard and rewarding - and the consequences for loosing harsh, but not final. When this works, you have a game which provides a experience of tension where you just have to think every move and not mess up. In DD tho, the main flaw is really that it's all too easy once you have figured out the overall strategic layer. There's no tension in the battles, except perhaps in very key points. There's also some laziness in the design - the repetitive bosses are just too much. Your characters also essentially don't evolve (the upgrades are all quantitative) and they are somewhat anonymous beyond the class that they represent. The traits system is simply too random, it's insufficient, and it could use an over-howl. Same with the upgrade system - some choices could be involved in how you build the classes. But yeah, it's not a bad game, especially when you learn it at first and adapt - it all seems overwhelming and impossible at first, which is pretty cool. Getting over that is part of the challenge, altho of course it probably takes about 10-20 hours of gameplay, not 1200. Personally I just can't get over the narrator's voice - he speaks exactly like I do, so the feeling of recognition is quite simply exhilarating, I have to listen to this man all day telling me about the limits of my insignificant existence. "WATCH YOUR STEP" - I hear this everytime I trip and fall in the pit of despair

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom