Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feature Suggestions & Requests

r0gershrubber

Barely Literate
I have some suggestions for new feats for implementation in Temple+. These are all taken from the Complete ___ series of splat books and are detailed at dndtools.net. I think they're all worth considering because they're (a) actually worth taking, (b) seem reasonably easy to implement, and (c) enable new character concepts, especially multiclass characters.

Battle Caster
( Complete Arcane, p. 75)
Added 1.0.76

[General]
Building on your existing training allows you to avoid the chance of arcane spell failure when you wear armor heavier than normal.

Prerequisite
Ability to ignore arcane spell failure chance from armor,

Benefit
You are able to wear armor one category heavier than you can normally wear while still avoiding the chance of arcane spell failure. For example, if you have the ability to normally wear light armor without incurring a chance of spell failure, you can wear medium armor and continue to cast spells as normal. This ability does not extend to shields, nor does it apply to spells gained from spellcasting classes other than the class that provides the ability to cast arcane spells while in armor.

Close-Quarters Fighting
( Complete Warrior, p. 97)

[Fighter Bonus Feat, General]
You are skilled at fighting at close range and resisting grapple attempts.

Prerequisite
Base attack bonus +3,

Benefit
You gain an attack of opportunity whenever an enemy attempts to grapple you, even if the enemy has a feat or special ability that would normally bypass the attack. If you deal damage with this attack, the enemy fails to start the grapple unless it has the Improved Grapple feat or a special ability such as improved grab. If the enemy has such an ability, you may add the damage you deal as a bonus on your opposed check to resist being grappled. This feat does not give you extra attacks of opportunity during a round or allow you to make an attack of opportunity when you would be denied one for being surprised, helpless, or in a similar situation. For example, an ogre attempts to grapple Tordek. Tordek gains an attack of opportunity, hits, and causes damage. Since the ogre does not have any sort of grappling special ability or feat, it fails to start a grapple. Then an ankheg--a creature with the improved grab special ability--attempts to grapple Tordek. He takes an attack of opportunity, hits, and deals 10 points of damage to the creature. Tordek then adds +10 to his opposed check to resist being grappled.

Special
A fighter may select Close-Quarters Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Normal
Creatures with Improved Grapple, improved grab, or similar feats or special abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity when they attempt to start a grapple.

Extra Rage
( Complete Warrior, p. 98)
Added 1.0.61

[General]
You may rage more frequently than normal.

Prerequisite
Rage or frenzy ability,

Benefit
You rage or frenzy two more times per day than you otherwise could.

Special
You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Extra Smiting
( Complete Warrior, p. 98)
Added 1.0.63

[General]
You can make more smite attacks.

Prerequisite
base attack bonus +4, Smite ability,

Benefit
When you take this feat, you gain two extra attempts to smite per day. Use whatever smite ability you have (the paladin's smite evil ability or the hunter of the dead's ability to smite undead, for example).

Special
You can take this feat multiple times, Its effects stack.

Improved Toughness
( Complete Warrior, p. 101)

[Fighter Bonus Feat, General]
You are significantly tougher than normal.

Prerequisite
Base Fortitude save bonus +2,

Benefit
You gain a number of hit points equal to your current Hit Dice. Each time you gain a HD (such as by gaining a level), you gain 1 additional hit point. If you lose a HD (such as by losing a level), you lose 1 hit point permanently.

Special
A fighter may select Improved Toughness as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Practiced Spellcaster
( Complete Arcane, p. 82)
Added 1.0.35

[General]
Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful.

Prerequisite
Spellcraft 4 ranks,

Benefit
Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can't increase your caster level to higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in levels of nonspellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus. For example, a human 5th-level sorcerer/3rd-level fighter who selects this feat would increase his sorcerer caster level from 5th to 8th (since he has 8 Hit Dice). If he later gained a fighter level, he would gain the remainder of the bonus and his sorcerer caster level would become 9th (since he now has 9 Hit Dice). A character with two or more spellcasting classes (such as a bard/sorcerer or a ranger/druid) must choose which class gains the feat's effect. This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.

Special
You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you choose it, you must apply it to a different spellcasting class. For instance, a 4th-level cleric/5th-level wizard who had selected this feat twice would cast cleric spells as an 8th-level caster and wizard spells as a 9th-level caster.

Quicken Turning
( Complete Divine, p. 84)
Added 1.0.65

[General]
You can turn or rebuke undead with a moment's thought.

Prerequisite
Ability to turn or rebuke undead,

Benefit
You can turn or rebuke undead as a free action. You may still make only one turning attempt per round.

Rapid Metamagic DONE
( Complete Mage, p. 46)

[General]
You possess an uncanny mastery of your magic, enabling you to modify spells on the fly much faster than others can.

Prerequisite
Spellcraft 12 ranks, ability to spontaneously cast spells,

Benefit
When you apply a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell, the spell takes only its normal casting time.

Normal
Spontaneous casters applying metamagic must either take a full-round action (if the spell normally requires a standard action or less) or add a full-round action to the casting time (if the spell takes 1 full round or longer to cast).

Zen Archery
( Complete Warrior, p. 106)

[General]
Your intuition guides your hand when you use a ranged weapon.

Prerequisite
WIS 13, base attack bonus +1,

Benefit
You can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier when making a ranged attack roll

Last edited by a moderator:

zugschef

Novice
Abilities / Class Features / Feats
  • Giving some creatures (esp. bears) the "improved grab" (ex) ability would be awesome -- especially for druids. I know that there aren't any animations for grappling apart from those frogs in the moathouse swamp, but maybe these would suffice?
Also, in order to make bards and monks suck less hard, I'd recommend including the​
  • "invisible fist"(1) and
  • "dark moon disciple"(2) variants and the
  • "dragonfire inspiration"(3) feat alongside some option to qualify for that (dragon disciple is a way, but we all know that dragon disciple is a PoS). Otherwise multiclass characters without any levels of monk or bard can do their respective jobs better than they themselves.

Items
  • The minor cloak of displacement doesn't work as detailed in the dmg. It should grant ongoing 20% concealment.
  • The ring of blinking is really missing. It's what makes rogues with thrown weapons awesome, because they can combine quick draw, two weapon fighting and sneak attack ftw. With a fix to the splash weapons (s.a.)...
  • The monk's belt should grant wis-to-ac for non-monks. Druids love those...

Spells
  • "Planar binding" -- For me, this is one of the spells which makes DnD awesome. Nothing is better than chain-binding efreeti for free wishes and all the womenz. ;-)
  • "Wish" / "Miracle" -- These are Dnd-staples.

Optional Rules
  • "Wish economy" (4) -- Wealth by level is broken, and ToEE (as almost any other cRPG) is the best example for that. Making any item above the price of 15.000 gold only available by looting is a major balance point.

--------------------------------------------------
(1) http://alcyius.com/USRD/srd/classes/baseCore/monk.html#invisible-fist
(2) http://alcyius.com/USRD/srd/classes/baseCore/monk.html#dark-moon-disciple
(3) http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/dragon-magic--62/dragonfire-inspiration--733/index.html
(4) https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Three_Economies_(DnD_Other)

Bohandas

Educated
A few suggestions:

There are several gods that are already partly implemented in the core game but aren't selectable by player characters without the use of console commands (ie Beory, Lolth, Procan, Norebo, Pyremeus, Ralishaz). It would be nice if we could select them during character creation.

Similar but more ambitious would be the addition of Greyhawk deities not yet implemented into the game at all particularly Delleb since Spugnoir mentions him. Also Zagyg and Juiblex as they are major divine enemies of Iuz and Zuggtmoy respectively.

It would also be cool if we could start as races other than the standard PC races. Like if we could play as goblins or kobolds or gnolls

It would be nice if dialog and looting could be initiated via stock party members such as Furnok and Elmo instead of just through the player generated characters

Also, it would be nice if the lax rules setting was more granular; if we could use some of its changes without having to use all of them

Bohandas

Educated
(apologies for double posting; I don't know how to edit posts on this forum)

Also, it would be nice if we could view the descriptions of the various wondrous items from the crafting menu, instead of having to actually craft them to find out precisely what they do.

cowking

Scholar
Also, it would be nice if we could view the descriptions of the various wondrous items from the crafting menu, instead of having to actually craft them to find out precisely what they do.

They're all listed under equipment->magic items in the game wiki.

Bohandas

Educated
It would be cool if we had an option to use the fractional base bonuses rule from Unearthed Arcana (the one where, for example, instead of a wizard gaining +1 BAB every two levels they gain +0.5 BAB every level. Or instead of gaining +1 every 3 levels on your poor save gaining +1/3 every level on those saves) Possibly in conjunction with only gaining the +2 boost once for each good save.

Bohandas

Educated
Some minor fix/tweak suggestions

*Wands are supposed to start with 50 charges, not 20. Burne in particular is specifically mentioned in the module as carrying a wand of magic missile with 49 charges remaining

*the name and description of the mandolin of charming are incorrect

*the game as ia doesn't seem to respect double weapons properly

*There doesn't seem to be a way to smite evil during a charge attack; I'm not sure whether this is appropriate or not it depends on how you interpret the phrase "normal melee attack", but in any caseit would be nice to at least be able to do it when playing with lax rules

Bohandas

Educated
It would be cool if the characters' sight radius was increased. I mean, I guess it makes sense in areas that can be assumed to be dark, but in places like the fire node or outside during the day they really ought to be able to see further. On a related note, it would also be nice to be able to cast into the fog of war.

EDIT:
Also, I just found a bug in the game that hasn't been fixed yet. Magic Circle Against Evil doesn't seem to apply immunity to mind control correctly. I just had a character get charmed despite being solidly inside several overlapping magic circles

Last edited:

Bohandas

Educated
It would be cool if the remaining core armor and weapon enhancements were craftable, especially bane weapons, the various energy resistance armors, and possibly the ability to craft javelins of lightning

It would also be cool if there was some way to toggle "deal nonlethal damage" for the entire party at once

Maddiereno

Novice
Hey there, recently found out this mod when i had lost all hope to play ToEE in Windows 10 on my new laptop :) Glad to see people working on such projects.

Anyway, in my run throughs i have run in to some minor issues
-Fog that i have traveled into came back after a couple travels, not sure if this is intended. Fixed in v1.0.41
-Paladin and Monk classes on character creation are grayed out, can be worked around if you choose something else and return back to class selection after choosing a deity though. Fixed in v1.0.38
-Wizard/Sorcerer spell selection @lvl 1 doesnt seem to be correct, if memory serves for wizards it should be 3 + (int modifier). And you cant change/remove spells you choose on that screen. Fixed in v1.0.38
-Is there a possibility to implement a deity change after going blackguard as a paladin? this would be sweet.

And im running with GoG version, with no house rules enabled except prestige classes. Did multiple installations and tried Standart Co8 8.1 mod as well.

Thanks for the mod again and keep up the good work !

Last edited by a moderator:

Bohandas

Educated
One thing I would really REALLY like to see would be for the 8 character limit to be removed or relaxed (perhaps extra followers would be added more after the manner of summoned monsters and planar allies), so that quests such as rescuing Paida could be accomplished without tedious and immersion-breaking juggling of party members

Elestan

Educated
Oh look, a new UI! Wonder what's it do?

Looks awesome!

Just to plant an idea seed, would it be possible to save and load maps from within the game? I'm curious if the potential is there to implement an in-game map editor.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh look, a new UI! Wonder what's it do?

Looks awesome!

Just to plant an idea seed, would it be possible to save and load maps from within the game? I'm curious if the potential is there to implement an in-game map editor.

The potential is very much there. In fact many of the ToEE systems already have a "IsEditorMode" flag (in particular, the save/load systems). And yeah, it's been on my mind for a long time now ;) might not even be that complicated, but I've had other priorities up till now, and it's also quite UI-intensive to do.

Bohandas

Educated
If a character can scribe a scroll as either arcane or divine it should either allow a choice or default to arcane (or possibly the default could be set in TEMPLE+ Options)

There should be a lax rules option to waive the XP cost of magic items (without necessarily waiving the spell requirements)

I'd like to see Corellon Larethian given the Magic domain, possibly as a lax rules option. Plus even though he isn't listed as having this domain in the PHB the Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook lists him as having it (plus he's consistently described as a god of magic), so it's semi canonical and semi-RAW

aeroldoth

Barely Literate
There are two feature request threads. This is the more recent one, so I'm putting this here.

1) Give bardsong infinite uses, instead of 1/level/day. Bardsong is the primary ability of the bard... in fact it's the only ability of the bard. Bards have always been weaker than others so it seems lame that their only ability, which itself is limited in power based on your performance skill, has so few uses. A L10 bard only gets 10 songs/day, while a L10 caster has some 20 or so spells. Does anyone think bard songs are twice as powerful and useful as spells?

2) Change Toughness feat to give 1 hp/level instead of a flat +3 hp. Adjust Toad familiar too.

3) Give druids Plant domain. I've never seen any D&D product with a cleric who took this and it balances out druids with their weaker spell selection and no turning targets unlike clerics. Letting druids get a few extra spells but most of all, be able to rebuke/command plants, will IMO put them much closer on par with clerics:
Spontaneous cast healings = spontaneous cast summons
plate and shield = wildshape
domain spells and powers = animal companion
turning undead = ???
Some modders gave druids Plant in the NWN games, seems logical and balanced to me.

4) Also, while clerics have plate and shield to make them tougher in combat while druids have wildshape, wildshape has always sucked in D&D video games. It's common knowledge that many take a level of monk just to make wildshapes more useful. I recommend sparing druids from that by giving them the Improved Unarmed Strike feat and the monk's wis AC bonus. Because they only work when unarmed and naked respectively, the average druid gains nothing from them while in base form, meaning they don't make druids the slightest bit more powerful. All they do is help druids in wildshape, when the wildforms really need help. You could try adding the features directly to the wildforms, but it seems easier and neater to just give to druids as L1 creation feats. IMO the wildforms are too weak as they are and a class shouldnt' have to take a level of another class just to make an ability in thier first class useful.

5) Defensive Roll lets thieves possibly escape fatal damage 1/day. They can only get this at L10, where they will almost never use it since they should be avoiding siutations that endanger them that much. However it would be extremely useful to L1 thieves, who would actually get some mileage out of it. I recommend giving it as a creation feat to thieves. And monks too.

6) Though I imagine it would take a lot of work so I don't expect anyone to do this, I thought I'd share my idea for replacing the spellcasting of paladins and rangers to something more useful. Instead of a very slow progression on the spell table to eventually get 1/1 at L10, give them each a single domain. Their progression would proceed much faster, getting 1/1/1/1/1 at L10, but their spell list would be gone. They would only get the domain spells to choose from, one at each level. I would give paladins Good to go with their detect evil ability, and rangers would get Animal.

ikarinokami

Augur
is it possible to make the classes pathfinder with archtypes. pathfinder classes are such a major improvement over base 3.5 ones

Darth__KEK

Literate
aeroldoth

Though I like your suggestions you're fixing inherent AD&D. It's just a bit radical for the main T+ mod. Perhaps your suggestions could be part of a Overhaul Mod? I haven't modded ToEE but I am a programmer, I guess I could start to pick the coding up, perhaps if a few of us work together? As for your suggestions specifically:

1. Perhaps Level + CHA bonus per day. Bards get lots of Skill points (so they can scout, Face Man the party, use Wands, etc.), have Light armour in which they can cast Arcane, HD6, some Arcane spells, and being CHA based they multiclass well with Sorceror and Favoured Soul.

2. The point of the Feat is to boost at lowest levels. One way to improve it would be to create an Extra Toughness feat (with Toughness as a prerequisite) that gives a 1/- damage reduction. That would give it more utility later on.

That would remove the Toad's best feature: a good all-in-one HP boost at low-level, and anyway it's undoubtedly best Familiar. Perhaps Familiars generally could do with a more substantial rethink?

3) This would add Entangle, Command Plants and Blight. Okay for the first two, not sure about Blight in terms of Druidic theme.

4) Maybe give this to a Druid at Level 5 when they first get their wildshape.

5) Whoa, giving L1 characters L10 abilities for free? How about create a Feat available to anyone with 6 ranks of Tumble? That would make it available to Bards, Rogues and Monks after 3 levels, and other classes would have to wait till Level 9. (With the Rogue able to select it for free at L10 if they want).

6) Rangers and Paladins are boss at lower levels. They get the same BAB as Fighters but get much better saves, skills, and endless powers and bonuses. They get spells mainly for flavour, but it's still more than Fighters get.

Bohandas

Educated
Some Suggestions:
*What if we could play characters of higher age categories; middle aged and venerable and so forth
*Archivist (from Heroes of Horror) seems like the natural next base class after favored soul (i's a wizard-like cleric similar to how the favored soul is a sorcerer-like cleric)
*What if we could take NPC classes (Adept, Noble, Magewright, Expert etc.)

Bohandas

Educated
Is it possible to make the game give you xp for getting rid of the gnolls in the moathouse peacefully through use of intimidate?

Bohandas

Educated
It should be possible to add the returning property as an available enchantment for throwable weapons. Elmo's dagger already seems to have it (presumably due to the same code that prevents you from taking it out of his inventory)

Allyx

Savant
Those 'returning' items are set NO_DROP in protos.tab. as far as I know, it isn't possible to set that flag on an item during normal gameplay, unless Sitra Achura has found a way to do it in Temple plus that I'm unaware of, of course you could add the flag to the item in question with World builder, but it would also affect other items of that type.

Bohandas

Educated
I would like to suggest the Temple Raider of Olidammara (Complete Divine page 67) as the next prestige class to be added after the archmage, as at least the fluff for the temple raider is exactly appropriate for this adventure (although some of the spell list might need tweaking to work against evil instead of law)

Allyx

Savant
I don't think tweaking the spell lists would be necessary, it might be more advantageous if it were skewed towards Evil instead of Law, but that wouldn't be as per the rules presented in the prestige class, and might be perceived as power gaming as a result (even if it is only a little bit). Besides I'm sure there are plenty Lawful Evil temple denizens to sate your temple raiding appetite on.

Edit: Having now viewed the actual spell list in question, I see no reason at all for the alteration you suggest, most of the spells are innocuous enough, the detect/protection from alignment spells rightly exclude Chaos since being Chaotic is a requirement of the prestige class.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom