Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The New World Update #16: Unreal Engine Report

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
(one good game and one bad game)
What bad game?
Dungeon Rats.
Maybe a bad game for you, but a good experience for ITS which allow dem to see and learn how to manage a party based dungeon crawler with elements that could be used again for their next bigger project such as verticality.
And a good experience for novice translators too who are now working on the big brother :vivelafrance:

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
It's not something that can be produced after a few months of work, regardless of experience, so you won't see any gameplay videos for a long time.
I kind of agree, but it also depends on many other factors. The big question is: what do you want to show? The whole system or just certain parts of it? And from this you go to the necessary assets, the manpower and individual capabilities.
Naturally this is prolonged due to the fact, that you all have to learn the UE4 and to how to correct work with it.
Just saying: With the marketplace i alone could get a very imited diablo like game in beta stage running within 1 month, but your thing is an other kind of animal.
As the saying goes 'What ever you do, work at it with your whole being.' (do it right and with passion) and that is what i think you all have and therefore you will not show some shit just for the sake of it. So in other words you need the time.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not something that can be produced after a few months of work, regardless of experience, so you won't see any gameplay videos for a long time.
I kind of agree, but it also depends on many other factors. The big question is: what do you want to show? The whole system or just certain parts of it? And from this you go to the necessary assets, the manpower and individual capabilities.
Naturally this is prolonged due to the fact, that you all have to learn the UE4 and to how to correct work with it.
My point is that we can't show combat (which is the main gameplay indicator) without having all the above mentioned systems and assets.

As the saying goes 'What ever you do, work at it with your whole being.' (do it right and with passion) and that is what i think you all have and therefore you will not show some shit just for the sake of it. So in other words you need the time.
Exactly.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The big question is: what do you want to show? The whole system or just certain parts of it?

Alpha footage is ALWAYS underwelming. The venerable tradition of teasing players with periodical updates about systems and other elements is justified. It feeds our imagination, and allows us to understand the game better before the release, provide feedback, etc.

Viata

Arcane
I really like the way ITS is doing with their periodical updates. Since the game is not going to be released any time soon, reading about some updates, what they are doing, how things are going, etc... makes the wait a little better. It's also helps see how much passion they are pouring in this game to the point that one can only hope everything turns out better than ITS hopes it to be.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I really like the way ITS is doing with their periodical updates. Since the game is not going to be released any time soon, reading about some updates, what they are doing, how things are going, etc... makes the wait a little better. It's also helps see how much passion they are pouring in this game to the point that one can only hope everything turns out better than ITS hopes it to be.
For me it's different, I probably would have preferred to not know anything until the game would be released (or very close to release) and just skip the hype and spoilers but I just can't help myself to read the updates once they're out :P.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I probably would have preferred to not know anything until the game would be released (or very close to release) and just skip the hype and spoilers but I just can't help myself to read the updates once they're out :P.

Same. I am weak :argh:

deuxhero

Arcane
In general, reloading fits Fallout's post-apocalyptic setting but would be a bit out of place on the ship since neither cartridges nor propellant won't be lying around. Bullets are manufactured by gunsmiths who have access to proper supplies and equipment.

Wouldn't a closed envrioment justify recycling, including of spent brass? Does the ship grab random passing asteroids for raw material or something?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wouldn't a closed envrioment justify recycling, including of spent brass?
Ignoring enthusiasm of the 50s and the precision of custom ammo, I'd say that handloading requires two factors - abundant raw materials and limited access to ammo (stores are too far, i.e. wild west, or there are no stores left, i.e. post-apocalyptic). Neither factor is present on the ship. It's easy to explain how your character can craft or find black powder in a wild west setting. It's much harder to do it in a colony ship setting. Plus ammo should be plentiful to justify all those SMGs. Crafting a few bullets for your rifle is one thing. Crafting 4 full magazines is another.

Does the ship grab random passing asteroids for raw material or something?
No. I don't think that relying on random asteroids is very reliable, so we're going with recycling.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
No. I don't think that relying on random asteroids is very reliable, so we're going with recycling.
Why "random"? They must have some detection system (and detecting ferromagnetic materials would be quite easy), the problem would be with mining these resources. But in recycling, during every cycle there is loss of material so after hundreds of years it wouldn't be enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom