Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
So basically, they're Rekt Hook that doesn't want a Celerity making utter fools of them. They are indie clique after all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
to be fair though you contacted the devs with questions of 'sup, how about them mods' when 'nope, no mods' has been the official stance for a long while now

what else did you expect

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
You talked to Jan, no? What did he say about the Squirrel decompiler issue?
Thats not an issue. They also paid for an UI library.

And by the way, sweeping the streets in Germany is a more profitable endeavour than selling 80k copies of a 30eu gayme. Not everyone is as retarded as VD and his disciples.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
By the way, if you ever wondered why the game startup is so slow...

btnexEX.png

Lel! The game reads in about 90MB of data at startup from the uncompressed zip file, which is data_001.dat. But it does so through a library, https://icculus.org/physfs/
The thing is, it needs about 900.000 calls to ReadFile to manage 90MB :lol:
I am pretty sure, they are misusing the library even... This is either some kind of FileExists or IntergrityCheck or plain retardo.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's a filesystem abstraction library for game data, alleviating the burden of systems programming and efficient data storage for the game dev. I'm not familiar with the library but would not be surprised if the file is not a datafile in the typical sense. These can be highly structured file formats governing strict algorithmic unpacking / indexing, etc. Depending on how they are used or the nature of the data stored, it could result in what appears to be nonsensical reading of a datafile, but it is in fact a precise algorithm. In another life I wrote some similar tools.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
u r retarded son, its a zip file, highly structured and uncompressed, they are obviously reading each pk entry and the attributes like compressedsize/uncompressedsize/filedatetime etc, i havent looked at it exactly

edit, yeee, they are building a filesystem, physfs_mount creates virtual dirs, and later reading from it
PviXPSA.png

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
They actually might be absolved from shitty code structure! Because if just adding the zip file to the search path (like the docs in the quote say) triggers a full scan of it by the library, than they did nothing wrong. I doubt it oh so much though.
Once the search path is defined, you may open files for reading. If you've got the following search path defined (to use a win32 example again):

• C:\mygame
  • C:\mygame\myuserfiles
  • D:\mygamescdromdatafiles
  • C:\mygame\installeddatafiles.zip
Then a call to PHYSFS_openRead("textfiles/myfile.txt") (note the directory separator, lack of drive letter, and lack of dir separator at the start of the string; this is platform-independent notation) will check for C:\mygame\textfiles\myfile.txt, then C:\mygame\myuserfiles\textfiles\myfile.txt, then D:\mygamescdromdatafiles\textfiles\myfile.txt, then, finally, for textfiles\myfile.txt inside of C:\mygame\installeddatafiles.zip. Remember that most archive types and platform filesystems store their filenames in a case-sensitive manner, so you should be careful to specify it correctly.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
YEs that's how these things work. Go read the source for the library, you are likely to find more there.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
So basically, they're Rekt Hook that doesn't want a Celerity making utter fools of them. They are indie clique after all.

1. I don't really think you and I are that analogous... :smug:
2. There's something really
Twitter-Thinking-Face.png
about referring to yourself in the 3rd person here

It makes sense in context. I'm not mentioning myself in the third person. I have no interest in Battle Brothers because it was an obvious scam from the beginning, remember?

When I say "a Celerity making utter fools of them" I mean an amateur modder doing far better than the developers and making them look incompetent much like I did, not literally me.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Do not be mean to the CODEX hero. A hero that we not only need but also deserve.
His mission on bringing justice on evil developers is not only holy but he also look like a fine fellow.
I bet he can BLAME GERMANY together with me. Which is also a holy and righteousness mission.

Anyway its nice to see some activity on the topic. I was afraid that game is dead and abandoned and all possibilities of blaming Germany are gone like a Battle Brothers modding.
Oh well I think its time to go on on quest for finding a Russian hacker who can liberate the code from sinful Teutonic oppression. Wish me luck.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I haven't played for some days now.

But today tried to go back, then I saw that Last update shit on the news.

So...

Are they for real? They won't update game any more?

Waterd

Augur
I think the game "as finished" as peopel say its a mediocre game, i bought it thinking there was a future, but i stopped playing right after 20 hours the game becomes too bad for me. I thought they would improve its flaws.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I'm currently playing Mount and Blade right now (with Floris mod), and I can understand the disappointment much better. Battle Brothers really felt it was shaping up to be a Turn-Based M&B, but it's definitely missing quite a few things.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Playing Floris - the most bloated mod ever. This mod make me sick just from the looks at troops tree. (Yes all of three of them).
Who could make such distasteful thing?
I bet that Germans did it.

Also all you guys stop complaining. Game is literary German perfection(like German II WW tanks manufacturing - wonder how many people get the joke). You are not allowed to express your dissatisfaction with the lack of post game content or mod support(unless you also add 'BLAME GERMANY' tag). I am the only one who can do it(and Celerity - who is famed hero of Justice and Righteousness).

By the way. Anyone care to explain me advantage of using locked txt files over .json or other easy to open and modify ones? I mean we have Darkest Dungeon, Mountian Blade and Starsector who all use easily editable files and there is BB.
Is there any advantage at all? I will gladly accept anything with enough technical sounding noise in background. Because now it looks like they were planning no modding possibility from the start and all that hints about it possible in future(perhaps and maybe) was just simple bait. Truly a ruthless behavior.
Why they did not plan modding support(even for their own sake of making different balance rule sets to test stuff) is beyond me.
No seriously - why?, its beyond me.
I mean there are people who not only will make content for free but, heck, even pay for possibility to make it and they simply write it off. Even if it not translate in much bigger sales for BB it would help them with their next game. I do not understand. Guys, help me understand unless you want me to Blame Germany once again. What is wrong with them?

Maybe just maybe their main coder was a
TURK
instead of German, not that there is big any difference at this point, and I was barking on wrong country all the time?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also just posting this.
mixed.png

a good example of these recent negative butthurts:

I bought Battle Brothers on impulse at its launch because it looked perfect at first glance, like everything I had wanted in a game: Brutal squad tactics in an open, procedurally generated world, a Black Company simulator. And for a long while, it was insanely addictive, because every victory was a hard-won triumph against the odds. I couldn't get enough of the game and its challenge. But gradually over time the game's rough edges, unfinished corners, and limitations became more and more obvious. What had looked like a dynamic world was soon discovered to be disappointingly static and empty. Mastering the game and overcoming its challenges started to seem hollow.

With the recent announcement that those rough edges and corners would never be polished, not by the developers nor by any modders, my hopes for the realization of that perfect game I had envisioned were dashed to pieces.

This is a fun game, and you can get many hours of enjoyment out of this game. But know that it is, and always will be, a squad tactics game in a theme park, nothing more. Maybe that will be good enough for you. It wasn't for me.

94 hours played

gradually over the time of my 94 played hours i started noticing the gaem was a bit rough

thus after 94 played hours and the recent announcement that it would not become guder i can only declare it not recommended because it's only fun!

sounds very well-rounded and reasonable

definitely not just butthurt

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
If one imagines that the shitty review had a negative impact on the game's sales and overall continued development, it is enough to make a man desire to commit acts of ultra violence

Although to be fair, your face is quite motivation enough for me to fully commit to extreme brutality

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom