Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

DeepOcean

Arcane
Age of Wonder 4

Buy the whole game for just 200 dollars!

Courtesy of Paradox Interactive!

I guess AoW 3 was their swansong (a proper game with 2 proper expansions) - it was a good one.

I absolutely detest the nickel and diming 450 different DLC approach.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Q&A stream:

Nothing more specific than what's written in the press release anf FAQ. They don't confirm whether their new game is AoW 4 or not, just say it is turn-based game and will be satisfy AoW fans. They also muse some interesting possibilities (what if Triumph make World of Darkness game, XCOM-like, or RPG-ish stuff [Fredrik: Pool of Radiance was great], etc.).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I remember reading some time ago that their new game won't be AoW. But this may change now of course, what with turbojews in charge and all.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
When you have "friend" who has gog version, you have an option of not pay. I'm not sure what company like them expected from merging, or worse becoming subordinate.

Absinthe

Arcane
In the ideal circumstance, Paradox will become a less shitty company, but we all know that's not the direction the acquisition went.

Well I mean if you haven't bought it so far I don't think you would ever. It's currently 75% off on Steam (less than 5 dollars) and the expansions are discounted too. You could get the complete game for 15 bucks and I don't think it's going to get any cheaper.

I personally think it's the best of the recent 4x games (I really like Endless Legend but combat in AoW is hugely superior) and probably the last really great combat-focused TBS we'll see in a long time. It's a shame to pass it up if you like this type of game because of Paradox or whatever. What comes next for them has no bearing on the quality of this game.

Black

Arcane
I bought other stuff first instead of AoW 3, had I known paradox would eat Triumph I'd switch it.

I've been thinking about buying AoW3 for some time, but I'm another who probably won't now. Feeding the monstrosity Paradox has become is too unpalatable.
So you're preventing yourself from playing probably the best fantasy combat-centred 4x of the last few years, which by the way is a complete game with two complete, full-fledged expansions, that didn't have any exploitative DLC at all (facts that won't be changed by these news of acquisition), because you want to stick it to the new man?

Seems a little counterproductive.

I mean it's cute that people can download games and all, but we're not 15 anymore and complaining that a bigger company with predatorial DLC practices is gobbling up another, smaller company that made some cool games is disingenuous when someone isn't even buying the games in the first place, isn't it?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom