Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 2005 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Avernum 4

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Battlemoon Wars 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brigade E5: New Jagged Union

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Blood Magic /AKA/ Dawn of Magic

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Dungeon Lords

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dungeon Siege 2

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Fantasia Sango 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fate

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Freedom Force vs The Third Reich

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Geneforge 3

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Hammer & Sickle

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Metalheart: Replicant's Rampage

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Night Watch

• Restricted Area

• Sacred Underworld

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Silent Storm: Sentinels

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • Tears to Tiara

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

groundhog

Educated
C'mon. Someone else other then me must have played Night Watch.

Are the Night Watch/Day Watch games available anywhere now?

Day Watch is sold by GamersGate, but I don't think I've seen Night Watch for sale anywhere.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Night Watch causes drowsiness so be careful with heavy machinery, Day Watch contains caffeine.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
lol none. Are any of these any good?
The Silent Storm games (Sentinels, Hammer & Sickle) are pretty good even though they are more strategy games than RPG for me (particularly Sentinels).

Anyway, if you liked Jagged Alliance 2, go for them.

Avernum 4 and Geneforge 3 are also good but many people dislike Spiderweb games due their visuals, but if you can look past that they are well worth playing.

Freedom Force vs The Third Reich is also good but I do recall game being rather short.

If you are desperate for a Hack and Slash then Dungeon Siege 2, Sacred Underworld and Fate might provide some fun.

Ebonsword

Arcane
That is one of the saddest lists of CRPGs I've ever seen...
Haven't played a single one of them

I think that maybe this was the year where MMORPGS started to kill off the traditional CRPG.

I know I was playing a ton of City of Heroes that year...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
What's most telling about 2005 is that so far the highest played game only accounts for 54.8% of voters. On all other years so far polled there has been a front-runner that has never gone below 80% and many games have easily cracked 50%. Also, of the two closest chasers, both at 45.2%, one is from 2004 and will be put on the 2004 results list if it even makes it anywhere. After those three the drop-off is all the way down to 28.6%. And this isn't from a shortage of voters as there's already been about 45 voters plus likely a huge number of people who haven't played any of them who's lack of voting makes the % even smaller than the number even suggests.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Oh yeah, forgot to add, the RPG I played in 2005 was Fable: The Lost Chapters, which turned out to be a multiplatform re-boot of a console game (I always thought it was just a PC game), which I didn't complete (but got about 75% of the way through before a crash left me with a huge non-saved timeframe which, in that game, was quite a big deal, and I had already reached the stage in the game where I was just playing it to get to the end for getting to the end's sake).

Another reason 2005 (and on for a few years) were so lacking in good PC game content is because suckers like us actually tried to embrace the move to consoles and multiplatforms. "it'll be fine", "you're just being irrational" and lots of other associated hype with no real history of decline to act as a deterrent to thinking it'll all be fine. So these early decline years had the double barrel of console intrusion combined with a market that didn't care and was happy to let PC gaming pass out for a bit. The concept of "at least it's a PC game" wasn't as much of a consideration back then.

It didn't take too long for the objections to start mounting up though...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Fable the Lost Chapters got released in 2005 for PC.

I started playing it, farted at a couple of commoners, kicked a few chicken but then the savegame got corrupted and I uninstalled.
Molineux' vision of what roleplaying games should be like.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I guess it's clear 2005 was the year the decline truly began.

I would say its the year when it became obvious. It's origin was in development long before. I wouldn't say anyone noticed (in a large way) specifically until Oblivion was released.

Ah, I remember 2006, when Oblivion came out. I was pretty excited about it, bought it right away, raced through the sewers on the trail of Emperor Picard, was wowed by the purty graphics of the world when you first jump out of the prison sewers.

Back then, I wasn't thinking about it much, but after about 10-15 hours, I just got completely bored, without realizing why at the time, and quit.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I think the next AAA RPG I bought after the failure of Fable was Dragon Age: Origins. I guess I was lucky because, for me, I didn't even notice Oblivion existing.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I think we should be more concerned about the russian hackers that could well have prevented 36 hours worth of voting?

Beastro

Arcane
Avernum 4 and Geneforge 3 are also good but many people dislike Spiderweb games due their visuals, but if you can look past that they are well worth playing.

GF3 is the worst of the series and has been the one so far for me that really dragged and annoyed me.

It doesn't help as well that both sides are asshole. I don't mean in what they do so much as the characters you meet are so unlikable. Even the nice, friendly elder servile you run into from the other games gets a touch of douchines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom