Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Minions of Mirth-

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Okay, this game takes alot of heat because of its graphics and learning curve (and, admittedly- Some bugs) but the fact is, its actually quite awesome and the depth of character creation is second to none in an MMORPG (and most RPGs- Period.)

Anyhow its a massive game with tons to do- A full open World MMORPG with a B2P (buy to play) model. The Free portion is still quite decent and allows you to take a character to level 15 with a second class up to level 5. More than enough time to decde if you want to purchase the full game.

If you are aware of this game and can deal with an archaic UI, pretty poor graphics, very low server population and the learning curve it requires to do even basic things like crafting- There is a hell of a game here that (to me) is more like a graphical MUD than an MMO exactly.

I picked this game up last month and am having a blast- The immersion level is fantastic, the world huge, the dungeons decent, the crafting insanely deep, the character creation is second to none and there is a level of depth here that i'm not sure I have ever seen in an MMORPG- Plus I love the idea that my $30 lets me play for life both online and off (it comes with a single player mode)...

But heres the thing...Nobody really plays this anymore- Those who do are sitting at level cap... And there are years worth of gaming here and awesome dungeons and crypts to explore which will require a group.

Who here at he codex owns this (and would be willing to come play with a new character) or is willing to give it a shot? I'm thinking it would be cool to get a group together to experience this game and the content together FROM THE BEGINNING on a weekly basis or something. We can level together to stay withing the same level range and then have groups of appropriate level toons to run the dungeons with .

Anyhow, any questions about the game- Feel free to ask. If you might be interested, post here and once we have a few people we can work out a time and a day to start playing.

-Thanks.
http://www.minionsofmirth.com/

I recall following the development of MoM when it was a single-player only game. Also it was supposed to have sprites, and the 2D art they had was quite good, so it reminded me of a single character Might & Magic. I lost interest when they added multiplayer and increasingly focused on MMO aspect. Does it really require a group to play all the locations?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I recall following the development of MoM when it was a single-player only game. Also it was supposed to have sprites, and the 2D art they had was quite good, so it reminded me of a single character Might & Magic. I lost interest when they added multiplayer and increasingly focused on MMO aspect. Does it really require a group to play all the locations?
Yes and no...

Minions is made so you could solo all the way to max level but you will not be doing the raids and dungeons at their appropriate level without a group (you could always revisit them when you are way higher level and still beat them though) but the game is certainly solo friendly (thank God too- Because nobody hardly plays except people at max level)

The amount of content is mindblowing though- I think even with a group you are not going to see everything until multiple playthroughs on each side (fellowship of Light and the evil side)- So essentially, even with a large group playing together until the end- I doubt you are going to see everything.

It isnt like Might and Magic- Its kind of (to me) a mix of Morrowind (in first person it has a morrowind vibe especially while flying), Tabletop D&D and Ultima Online (for character classes and skill based leveling) and Everquest. Its very different than anything I have ever played.

It isnt 2D either- Its 3D and not exactly pretty.. But with literally thousands of skills and spells (not like Fire 1, Fire 2 and Fire 3 either...)plus 10 upgrades to every spell- 16 classes to multiclass with- Huge World to explore- Ability to change into dragons and werewolves and all kinds of stuff, deep crafting and enchantment system and a ton of things to do- The graphics are overshadowed by the gameplay imho and the immersion level is very high.

-Its a hard game to get into. Most people turn it off after less than an hour due to the learning curve and UI so it certainly will help playing with people who can answer questions .

I would recommend trying it out- Its free to try and less than 300 MBs. You will either love it or hate it but you wont know until you try . Also use the help chat (/h) because it seriously is a bitch to get started and even understand how certain things work like the UI and tracking and such... All in all though, its the best $30 I have ever spent on a game. Just took me awhile to even know if I liked it or not and I spammed the chat with questions as well.

kangaroodev

Educated
I tried this, it was enjoyable and I just like the nostalgic feeling and music of the game. Plus I see that you can play the game singleplayer too, haven't seen many mmorpgs with that option. But since the game is old and the population is very low, I really don't think that I would pay 30 bucks for premium, only later I found out that you can only level up till 15 as a free player, and most of the equipment is premium. If it would had been something like 5 or 10 bucks at least...

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
This thread being necro'd is really...Creepy.

The computer I played this game on has long been dead and I was trying to remember what the hell the name of this game was so I could redownload it- I was JUST talking about this with someone a few days ag. I dont ever remember making this thread either.

At this point, I'm surprised they still want 30 bucks but even at 30 bucks its probably worth it. Back in 2014 there wasnt really anything good to play imho (that I hadnt played) so the $30 was a no brainer since even if you only screw around with it for a few months it was fun and worth the entertainment dollar. Today? Fuck, I have more games right now that I havnt finished or even havnt started playing that I have too many good games imho- But i want to still go check out MOM again and see whats going on with it- It really is probably the closest to a pen and paper mmo than anything ive ever seen and has enough content to play for probably years.

Anyhow, thanks for necroing this- I'm going to hope I can remember my log in details and go redownload it and probably check it out this weekend. I had a ton of fun with this game except for the lack of anyone playing made the later zones too frustrating imho.

kangaroodev

Educated
The game is still alive, I randomly stumbled upon it. And I wanted to visit their forums to see how many people play however the forums are dead, so I googled a bit and I found a thread here, raise from the dead thread!

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
since some bro's seem to be still playing this -

how do I set up a macro to cast a buff spell on another party member? I'm playing single player if that makes a difference.

Helton

Arcane
So I downloaded this yesterday and played a bit. It has some serious potential. Documentation isn't great, which seems to be a stylistic point. But I'd really like to know what, say, a point in Strength does. Does anyone know? What happens if I put a point in Willpower, or Body, specifically, in terms of numbers?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
So I downloaded this yesterday and played a bit. It has some serious potential. Documentation isn't great, which seems to be a stylistic point. But I'd really like to know what, say, a point in Strength does. Does anyone know? What happens if I put a point in Willpower, or Body, specifically, in terms of numbers?
Wow blast from the past again =P

I dont remember , but when I was playing this there were actually admins/GMs or whatever playing most times and I had them answer many of my questions and even played with them sometimes. Its been years but most of that stuff I would just ask in chat and the GMs were more than happy to answer the questions and talk about the mechanics.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was the GM mentioned in the documentation. Great game. It really needed a community to get behind it and develop more content though. The base game only had enough for a few months, but it was made with Python tools for people to add stuff, which didn't really happen.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I was the GM mentioned in the documentation. Great game. It really needed a community to get behind it and develop more content though. The base game only had enough for a few months, but it was made with Python tools for people to add stuff, which didn't really happen.
You guys did an awesome job- Loved having GMs in the game who actually interacted and did cool things with the players.

/salute

This is something that I would get behind in a kickstarter project to remake the game or add content or something... The community stuff was great (I talked with the guy who made The pyramid dungeon area if I remember right but it was a long time ago)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah it was a really nice game, I liked the main quest that was added to the game, it was a fun journey. Another great late feature was the ability to kill a mob and then you unlock that mob as a class you can play. Some of them were really fun. When he made me the Lead GM it gave me commands to become any mob at any time, so I used to spawn as a huge dragon and I would fly around the newbie grounds swooping down on people and making them freak out, and then I would fly off into the sky. A lot of people had come to play from EverQuest so seeing real use the of Z axis was a new thing.

The most fun I did was getting taken to a zone with the game's designer and he wanted me to test an encounter he made. I got a quest to help some Lizardmen or something, they were in trouble nearby, fighting some invading undead. I figured it was just a typical quest so ran over there to gank some skellys, but when I got there it was 2 armies fighting. It must have been 100 Lizardmen NPCs fighting 100 undead mobs in a big war. It was tuned so that things wouldn't work out well for the lizards, so I had to jump in to the middle of a huge Braveheart battle and just start killing anything I could. It was scaled back a bit by release but still a great experience, I had never seen anything like it in an MMO. And the entire game was basically made by 1 guy and his girlfriend.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sad :/ I still play it sometimes, I play it offline. It kinda lost its appeal though since I've been multiboxing EverQuest.

_V_

Scholar
So, I dabbled in MoM single player a few years ago but was always too cheap to actually pay for the game. Seems it had an expansion in 2015 or so. But judging from our mmo forum the mmo part is dead since 2017. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/minions-of-mirth.92609/#post-5308521
However, I downloaded it a few days ago from here: https://softdeluxe.com/Minions-Of-Mirth-Undead-Wars-2703258/
And the single player part now seems to work as a premium account. (Judging from ~3 hours of play. No advertising in the middle of play, no blocked classes/factions, I can equip premium items, etc. Doesn't mean I won't run into roadblocks along the way.)
So if anybody apart from me is interested in trying an ugly, clunky single player game that plays like a budget mmo from over a decade ago (including lag, yay), now seems to be your chance...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom