Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hyperion

Arcane
You're trying really hard for those highly coveted Shit Poster and Possibly Retarded tags, aren't you?

Bikit

Novice
Japan has never really given a fuck about progressive shit*.

Someone has never read a manga in his life.

Can you guys imagine if a wester game had lines like this? The Codex and /v/ would riot.

3UL4qHp.png

8wtaDg0.jpg

Good old It's fine when japan does it". :smug:
localizations! japanis dont talk like sjw, but japan there realy have problem with wymen rights and other political shit that have i in the game...

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished at last. 113+ Hours. Made Yoshitsune.

GOTY 2017. Still has it's flaws. The OST is not as memorable as in previous games and confidant stories are almost all not very interesting. I do not have any complaints about the plot, it worked for me.

IPFreely

Educated
I'm sure it's great, but I'm waiting for the inevitable re-release that every Persona game gets.

Nathir

Liturgist
I am not sure why this game is so highly rated. People praise the characters and story. But in reality this is no better than your average VN or Harry Potter. You play a self-insert character who is misjudged by society, and apparently has no family. Who gets transfered into another environment, gets magical powers, new friends and waifus and saves the world. Characters are very straightforward and their interactions are very ''anime'' in a bad way. They all have sad backstories in an attempt to make us feel sympathy for them and so they can go to our bloke with no personality and whine about it. You then get to play a psychiatrist, by selecting very straightforward responses, and they are grateful how you fixed their lives. Amazing.

Dialouge is generally bad and the choices are almost meaningless. Someone says something and you can reply: ''You are a strong and beautiful person'', ''huh? ok.'', ''lul''. Hmm, I wonder which is the ''correct'' option here? It doesn't even matter what you choose, since you'll only lose out on some gameplay related bonuses and you'll still all be friends. Dialouge is badly written and there is too much exposition and especially recaps. No I don't need to be told of what just happened yesterday for the sixth time. The character interactions also are quite honestly boring. They constantly recap stuff or talk about the phantom thieves. The dungeons are very basic and straightforward, but mostly fine. The stealth addition is a joke and feels tacked on, you also never get to actually steal something without a fight. Combat is very basic and still uses the Nocturne system from 2003, only here it's way too easy. Enemies usually just get pummelled without doing anything, and the bossess don't really have any interesting gimmicks either.

The game actually starts pretty decently. Kamoshida is a good villain but it never hits that high again. It just gets worse and and more boring until the end. The first arc sets up some interesting themes, but they never explore on them, and it just gets more and more straightforward and generic. Akechi as a character has potential but is thouroghly wasted. There are ''twists'' at the end which are essentially deus-ex machinas but the game explains everything in detail and follows to do so multiple times. It's boring and stupid. You don't have to explain how it works. It's magic. The sudden battle against god is anticlimactic and feels like it came out of nowhere. There's tons of very obvious wish fulfillment, like how you can romance every girl in the story pretty easily, and there are no repercussions for it. There's a scene for Valentines where they beat you up for it, but by march they all text you how they want to be with you. Kawakami becoming your maid is the cringeworthiest thing I have ever seen. A grown ass teacher becomes your ''maid'' and does everything for you while calling you master. But hey, she ''needs the money'' so it's all fine. It's almost like this game is just a glorified Visual Novel...

The only thing this game has going for it is the presentation and the visuals. It looks and feels amazing. With a bit better tuned combat it could even be enjoyable to play. But that doesn't justify all the 10's it has been getting. People talk about how good the story and characters and the themes (muh Jung) are, but 90% of them haven't even played Persona 2, a game with actual characters and a decent story. Combat is basic and at this point stale. After 14 years, Atlus could maybe change it up a bit. In the end I can only conclude people love this game because it makes you feel good. You get friends and waifus by telling them how special and beautiful and strong they are. And the combat feels and looks amazing, while being easy. It's just standard VN wish fulfillment with a better design and presentation.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I am not sure why this game is so highly rated. People praise the characters and story. But in reality this is no better than your average VN or Harry Potter. You play a self-insert character who is misjudged by society, and apparently has no family. Who gets transfered into another environment, gets magical powers, new friends and waifus and saves the world. Characters are very straightforward and their interactions are very ''anime'' in a bad way. They all have sad backstories in an attempt to make us feel sympathy for them and so they can go to our bloke with no personality and whine about it. You then get to play a psychiatrist, by selecting very straightforward responses, and they are grateful how you fixed their lives. Amazing.

Dialouge is generally bad and the choices are almost meaningless. Someone says something and you can reply: ''You are a strong and beautiful person'', ''huh? ok.'', ''lul''. Hmm, I wonder which is the ''correct'' option here? It doesn't even matter what you choose, since you'll only lose out on some gameplay related bonuses and you'll still all be friends. Dialouge is badly written and there is too much exposition and especially recaps. No I don't need to be told of what just happened yesterday for the sixth time. The character interactions also are quite honestly boring. They constantly recap stuff or talk about the phantom thieves. The dungeons are very basic and straightforward, but mostly fine. The stealth addition is a joke and feels tacked on, you also never get to actually steal something without a fight. Combat is very basic and still uses the Nocturne system from 2003, only here it's way too easy. Enemies usually just get pummelled without doing anything, and the bossess don't really have any interesting gimmicks either.

The game actually starts pretty decently. Kamoshida is a good villain but it never hits that high again. It just gets worse and and more boring until the end. The first arc sets up some interesting themes, but they never explore on them, and it just gets more and more straightforward and generic. Akechi as a character has potential but is thouroghly wasted. There are ''twists'' at the end which are essentially deus-ex machinas but the game explains everything in detail and follows to do so multiple times. It's boring and stupid. You don't have to explain how it works. It's magic. The sudden battle against god is anticlimactic and feels like it came out of nowhere. There's tons of very obvious wish fulfillment, like how you can romance every girl in the story pretty easily, and there are no repercussions for it. There's a scene for Valentines where they beat you up for it, but by march they all text you how they want to be with you. Kawakami becoming your maid is the cringeworthiest thing I have ever seen. A grown ass teacher becomes your ''maid'' and does everything for you while calling you master. But hey, she ''needs the money'' so it's all fine. It's almost like this game is just a glorified Visual Novel...

The only thing this game has going for it is the presentation and the visuals. It looks and feels amazing. With a bit better tuned combat it could even be enjoyable to play. But that doesn't justify all the 10's it has been getting. People talk about how good the story and characters and the themes (muh Jung) are, but 90% of them haven't even played Persona 2, a game with actual characters and a decent story. Combat is basic and at this point stale. After 14 years, Atlus could maybe change it up a bit. In the end I can only conclude people love this game because it makes you feel good. You get friends and waifus by telling them how special and beautiful and strong they are. And the combat feels and looks amazing, while being easy. It's just standard VN wish fulfillment with a better design and presentation.

I'll tell you the cold hard truth as to why it's so praised: Because there's an emotional factor that's tremendous. It tugs your heart strings, makes you feel real connections with the characters and as pathetic as it sounds, they start to feel like your actual friends. You develop bonds with them.

I have a theory that one of the reasons the Persona games are so popular, especially the last two, is because deep down a lot of people are very lonely and that's probably more true about the kind of people that play video games, especially RPGs: lonely, fewer friends, nerds.

It's the ultimate escape in that regard. It's more than a video game, it's a social experience. It's artificial connection the same way someday people will start to interact with AI because they're lonely (Like in the movie Her).

Add to that this game not onlu allows people to "relive" high school, a time in their lives they may have regrets about, but to live it in an awesome way and to have the friends and experiences they never had. Not to mention they get to romance girls, which they probably didn't do, and they get to do it IN JAPAN with HOT JAPANESE GIRLS in some sort of Weezer Rivers Cuomo Japanese fantasy. In the end, living viciously through a fictional video game high school student is very appealing.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Sad to read that Persona 3 turned out to be the one with most actual character development despite the inane plot, and that things went downhill from here. Oh well, perhaps Persona 5: Jet Black Edition for the Vita and PS4 will fix it.

Malpercio

Arcane
Yeah, modern Persona is pretty much crippled by the wish-fulfillment/pandering aspect in which everyone needs to be available to you and depend on you. Not that Persona 3 didn't have it, but at least Mitsuru and Yukari developed whatever you did their S.Link or not.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The wish fullfilment is the perfect reason why Persona 5 is a game that is completely special in atmosphere. It resonated with me in a particular part of my life and I think it should resonate to much more people even if you aren't affected by it. To put it shortly, I have seen in many occasions in my last three years many opportunities were people were being scammed, abused by companies, bosses, landlords and even coworkers and just shutting up, silently looking at their shoes, waiting for it to take it in the butt. I'm one of the few who refused, it drained me a little bit of an energy, a same kind of energy I could feel while playing this game and which gives a similar thrill at victory.

The reason the story of the game resonates well can be explained by the intro song "Wake Up. Get up. Get out there.". It's a stupid, simplistic message. But it's powerful enough in the context of a video game. Most games coming out involve a hero trying to live a normal life and something incredible happen to him which forces him to react to those circumstances. In short : in most games, the story is imposed to the main character who is just trying to get through it, sometimes saving the world in the process.

Persona 5 is different. It is the story of characters figuring out that they can do something and who form a gang of vigilantes to try and actually change the world. The Phantom Thieves make the story occur. This, in essence, make Persona 5 already a game that is fundamentally different in terms of storytelling to most other games. It's also much greyer than it appears compared to even other Persona games ; it's pretty obvious even from the beginnings that the morality of the Phantom Thieves action is to be questioned and that the teenagers are getting so enthralled by it that they are losing the consciousness of what they were actually trying to achieve in the first place.

And yes, the message is simple enough and overly simplistic, but boy, games that incite rebellion against bullshit are actually rare. And games which do so with this kind of energy ? Sorry, that's unheard of. Persona 5 has a joyful, positive dynamic coming out of its characters, storyline, but also presentation : the songs and their lyrics are nothing much from an artistic point of view but convey an energy that is exhilariting. The art style of the interface, the masked men, even the colors used in the game world... I can't actually say it in other words : it's a game that conveys an energy, and a positive one.

I'm quite aware of its flaws gameplay wise, and that the actual story depth is nothing to be amazed at, but if you judge it by theme and presentation, nope, it's quite the unique game and a really, really great execution.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Finished the game a week ago or so and it's my GOTY as well. Like all games it has its faults but I really liked the things that stood out; art, music, setting.
My best persona was probably the Trumpeteer with some good inherited skills. Immune/repel vs a lot of late-game monster attacks.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The wish fullfilment is the perfect reason why Persona 5 is a game that is completely special in atmosphere. It resonated with me in a particular part of my life and I think it should resonate to much more people even if you aren't affected by it. To put it shortly, I have seen in many occasions in my last three years many opportunities were people were being scammed, abused by companies, bosses, landlords and even coworkers and just shutting up, silently looking at their shoes, waiting for it to take it in the butt. I'm one of the few who refused, it drained me a little bit of an energy, a same kind of energy I could feel while playing this game and which gives a similar thrill at victory.

(...)

And yes, the message is simple enough and overly simplistic, but boy, games that incite rebellion against bullshit are actually rare. And games which do so with this kind of energy ? Sorry, that's unheard of. Persona 5 has a joyful, positive dynamic coming out of its characters, storyline, but also presentation : the songs and their lyrics are nothing much from an artistic point of view but convey an energy that is exhilariting. The art style of the interface, the masked men, even the colors used in the game world... I can't actually say it in other words : it's a game that conveys an energy, and a positive one.

I'm quite aware of its flaws gameplay wise, and that the actual story depth is nothing to be amazed at, but if you judge it by theme and presentation, nope, it's quite the unique game and a really, really great execution.

You know, in spite of criticizing the game a lot in this thread, I agree with this sentiment in general. As long as we stay in the realm of broad impressions and atmosphere, it is indeed very well-executed and refreshing. The problems begin when you start to think about the details and specific ideas presented.

I think a lot of the problems could be avoided simply by making the game shorter. Excellent presentation can carry a 40 hour game, but the pacing of P5 is so bad that at some point you become desensitized and invariably start to notice cracks in the facade. This is further exacerbated by the ending sequence, where the game overreaches by trying to become more than a straightforward vigilante revenge story, and encourages the player to think about the overall message and themes. And when you do think about those, again, you start to see the cracks.

The reason the story of the game resonates well can be explained by the intro song "Wake Up. Get up. Get out there.". It's a stupid, simplistic message. But it's powerful enough in the context of a video game. Most games coming out involve a hero trying to live a normal life and something incredible happen to him which forces him to react to those circumstances. In short : in most games, the story is imposed to the main character who is just trying to get through it, sometimes saving the world in the process.

Persona 5 is different. It is the story of characters figuring out that they can do something and who form a gang of vigilantes to try and actually change the world. The Phantom Thieves make the story occur. This, in essence, make Persona 5 already a game that is fundamentally different in terms of storytelling to most other games. It's also much greyer than it appears compared to even other Persona games ; it's pretty obvious even from the beginnings that the morality of the Phantom Thieves action is to be questioned and that the teenagers are getting so enthralled by it that they are losing the consciousness of what they were actually trying to achieve in the first place.

To be more specific, this message is what the game wants you to think it's preaching. But when you think a bit more carefully about it, more or less the opposite is true. Very few of the characters are actually trying to change something, Phantom Thieves included. What they do, is sit around passively and endure abuse, and only achieve anything with the help of superpowers. The wish fulfillment, which demands that the protagonist be the center of the world and the solution to every problem, clashes with the otherwise very positive message.

Similarly, the game only questions the morality of the Thieves' actions when it's convenient for the plot. There's a whole bunch of very uncomfortable stuff hidden in the sidequests and confidants which the game expects you to accept at face value.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I agree with Nathir and also opine that persona 2 (both halves) were the pinnacle of the persona series and the high water mark for story telling in Atlus RPGs.

for game play the high water mark was nocturne (smt 3).

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Reminder that some retards on this site think Persona 5 is a good RPG

I'm writing this on my netbook on the toilet while taking a shit which is where every copy of this game belongs.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...of-playstation-3-emulator-over-persona-5.aspx

Atlus Actively Attempts To End Development Of PlayStation 3 Emulator Over Persona 5

Atlus have decided to declare war on a PlayStation 3 emulator, the open-source RPCS3, over its ability to play Persona 5.

Last night, the team working on the C++ emulator designed to let people play PlayStation 3 games on PC scrubbed all mentions of Persona 5 from their site and forums. This included any mention of getting the game to run, tweaks to have it run better, or anything that implied Persona 5 could be played anywhere other than its commercially released copies on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 hardware. To be clear, this did not necessarily limit itself to any mention of playing Persona 5 without purchasing, but rather all information on it in any way interacting with the emulator.

The RPCS3 team explained that, on September 23rd, they received a DMCA takedown notice for the project's Patreon from Atlus. The RPG publisher declared that the project was infringing on their copyrights by making Persona 5 playable on the PC, which they do not believe should be allowed, according to the RPCS3 team. Patreon declined their request.

DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a 1992 copyright law that dramatically extended the rights and reach of copyright holders. In a modern era and a modern context, DMCA takedowns are a strong and commonly used tool for copyright holders to remove videos that infringe on their copyrights, or that they simply do not like, as was the case of Firewatch developer Campo Santo taking down videos made by youtuber Pewdiepie after he streamed himself uttering a racial slur. The DMCA takedown has been massively criticized in recent years as easily abusable and unnecessarily heavy-handed.

Patreon denied the initial request from Atlus, based on Atlus not making a cogent argument for how their copyright was being infringed upon by the PlayStation 3 emulator, and specifically that Patreon page. Atlus alleged that, in order to make Persona 5 work on the emulator, Atlus' digital rights management (DRM) just be circumvented, and that the page describes how to dump a disc into a file readable by the emulator. While not swayed by this argument, Patreon discussed the issue with the RPCS3 team, who scrubbed any mention of Persona 5 from Patreon and their website.

Today, Atlus confirmed the story with the following statement, titled "ATLUS and Emulation:"

"You might have heard earlier today that we issued a DMCA takedown notice involving emulation developer group RPCS3 and their Patreon page. Yes, it’s true. We settled upon this action for two reasons:

We believe that our fans best experience our titles (like Persona 5) on the actual platforms for which they are developed. We don’t want their first experiences to be framerate drops, or crashes, or other issues that can crop up in emulation that we have not personally overseen. We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

We appreciate the awareness generated by the emulation community for Persona 5 and know that it is a fantastic example of how much people are loving our game. We want to keep bringing you titles like Persona 5. Unfortunately, when our content is illegally circumvented and potentially made available for free, in a format we do not think delivers the experience and quality we intend, it undermines our ability to do so by diverting potential support from new audiences.

We want to continue having a dialogue about where and how you would like to play our games. Please let us know what you think."

Atlus more or less confirmed RPCS3's side of the story and added what they believe to be a justification for their actions in their statement. Their reasoning seems to run up against previous precedent set during the case of Sony vs. Bleem!, in which Sony sued the PlayStation emulator for running PlayStation games on non-approved hardware. However, it bears mentioning that although Bleem! won that case, their legal fees forced them to shut down shortly after.

It is unclear what Atlus hopes to accomplish with this move, or why the American branch seems to be spearheading this initiative.

:hmmm:

We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening!

Oookay...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The original DCMA request is even more ridiculous: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/72lo12/statement_atlus_usa_attempts_to_shut_down/

The PS3 emulator itself is not infringing on our copyrights and trademarks; however, no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform; and [the RPCS3] developers are infringing on our IP by making such games playable

"no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform"

Sir, someone trying to play Persona 5 on PC!!!

doCSfIA.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Love it when piratefags make drama over a company defending their work.

rpgdude19 keep crying bitch nigga. Pirate away if you wish but don't cry foul when Atlus (rightly) takes away your toys.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane

rpgdude19 keep crying bitch nigga. Pirate away if you wish but don't cry foul when Atlus (rightly) takes away your toys.
Emulators aren't illegal and atlus doesn't own any rpcs3 code.
Just look at bleem case.
They have no case here whatsoever considering you can dump your ps3 games legally.
Also they should be more worried about ps3 piracy which is easier to do then set up this emulator to work properly with persona 5.

Imagine if a game dev sued Microsoft because windows allows you to play pirated games,it is ridiculous.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Even Atlus knows they don't have rights to stop the emulator itself.

Just wonder why they even bothered about it. Like flyingjohn said, there are already PS3 piracy. Is this just another case of the ridiculously heavy-handed copyright strikes from Japanese companies (see also: Nintendo)? Or do they want PC players to wait their official PC version (to be released in 2040)?

Nathir

Liturgist

I rate this post ''fanboy''.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom