Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It's more convenient to max INT first for more dialogue options. Although plenty of other situations also require high WIS and CHA. I do remember a WIS check that I couldn't pass because I was too focused on INT and CHA.
I think most dialog checks require just one of these, so the common advice is to go with one and stick to it, no?

Gunnar

Arbiter
OK guys, I'm about to play thru PS:T again (the last time I got as far as Curst before my savegame got corrupted) this time with this magnificent transcended edition that is sure to expand my brain right into the heart of our galaxy.

So, the important questions:
What scores of INT/WIS/CHA do I start with?
Mage or Thief?
Ignus or Jasede for the ranged companion?
Any other major decisions I should keep in mind? P much don't care for various +1 items and dialog lines, so don't bother listing that.

If you play a mage, use these stats:

CHA - 15
INT - 16
WIS - 17

You'll be able to pass all the important checks in the game right out of the gate and those scores can then be improved further with tattoos and other stuff. Levelup points put them into CON.

Get Ignus spells and ditch him. His fear spell is especially good.

Thief is really great for avoiding encounters by hiding in shadows, if that's your thing.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Thief is really great for avoiding encounters by hiding in shadows, if that's your thing.
I played a mage the last time and Curst was like stabbing yourself in the balls repeatedly. There's way too many mobs, you quickly run out of spells to cast and there's nowhere to rest (IIRC).

So yeah, I've been thinking about going for a thief to skip all the bullshit. Does the thief class trigger any interesting dialog?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I played a mage the last time and Curst was like stabbing yourself in the balls repeatedly. There's way too many mobs, you quickly run out of spells to cast and there's nowhere to rest (IIRC).

So yeah, I've been thinking about going for a thief to skip all the bullshit. Does the thief class trigger any interesting dialog?

Curst underground is full of guards, yeah and they can kill you very quickly especially on double damage setting. I usually run around, round them up and cast blacksphere on the group (hits all enemies, does damage and puts them to sleep). There's a place to rest a screen back from the guarded area with the old man.

I haven't played a thief run in a long time, but from what I remember there are only a few lines different from dedicated thief NPC's. Thief run is going to depart mostly because you'll have to spread your CP around more and can proabbly avoid taking Annah with you.

T. Reich

Arcane
If you play a proper full-party mage, you'll have plenty of decent high-level aoe spells that will soften up the guards easily - and your team will clean them up. You can also utilise hide in shadows + backstab hit-n-run tactics with Annah.
I've never tried solo mage, so no idea how that would go.
But yeah, the hermit in the first zone is a free "rest spot" (as dialogue option).

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
If you play a proper full-party mage...
Speaking of which, what's a "proper" end game party? Don't really want to resort to kiting and spamming potions once I reach Curst and beyond, where the game suddenly takes a turn down south and transforms into a somewhat shitty dungeon crawler. Same problem as Bloodlines, sadly.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The more party members you take, the more they dilute the experience that everybody gets. TNO + dakkon only is VERY powerful, for example.

T. Reich

Arcane
If you play a proper full-party mage...
Speaking of which, what's a "proper" end game party? Don't really want to resort to kiting and spamming potions once I reach Curst and beyond, where the game suddenly takes a turn down south and transforms into a somewhat shitty dungeon crawler. Same problem as Bloodlines, sadly.

There are 7 total available companions.
6 of them are available before Curst, 7th is only available at the end of Curst.
Of the 6 available before Curst:
1) the Skull - good fighter + muh story.
2) the Gith - good fighter + muh story.
3) the Thief Girl - ok fighter (better than ok if you know how to use backstab) + muh romances.
4) the Robot - good fighter.
5) the Cleric Girl - absolute liability as a figher, but good for healing + muh romances.
6) the Burning Man - another mage + actually decent ranged attacks if you properly buff him with magic.
People usually dump Ignus because he's not exactly a nice person to hang around with.
Then right after Curst you can get the Iron Man - he's a good fighter but also not a nice person. And a dangerous endgame encounter if you choose to drag him along to the very end, IIRC.

Anyway, each character can be milked for gratuitious "roleplaying" exp, so you should invite and "roleplay" the fuck out of the two unsavoury dudes when you can get them. Whether you dump them or keep them is up to you.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I think my original line up was everyone but the robot and Vhailor. I found the cube dungeon way too hard, so never bothered to get that dude. Vhailor was kinda cool, but yeah it felt like he could snap any time. Didn't have a party slot for him anyway.

The samurai dude had tons of lore dump dialog, I think I managed to level up his sword a few times and he also gave me some stone circle thingie that did stuff too. The succubus girl was the absolute worst character personality wise, so I suppose this time I'm going to switch her out for the robot dude. Hopefully we can survive without the healer.

Oh and Ignus burned off a lot of my body parts (resulting in permanent max HP loss I think?) to teach me some of his pyro magic.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The succubus girl was the absolute worst character personality wise, so I suppose this time I'm going to switch her out for the robot dude. Hopefully we can survive without the healer.

Take some time to steal a whole bunch of healing drops from the shops and you'll be ok.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/06/change-your-game-with-planescape.html

Change Your Game With Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Mods!

Expand your planar adventures with mods.

The long lifespan of the Infinity Engine games can be attributed not only to the customization characters, amazing stories, and sheer amount of content, but also to the massive modding community that has grown alongside Baldur’s Gate and the other games using this engine.

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is built on a modified version of the v2.3 Enhanced Edition Infinity Engine code developed to handle the unique challenge of Planescape: Torment. This updated code base means modding the game has become easier than ever!

Not all popular mods for the original Planescape: Torment have received updates for PST:EE yet, like Unfinished Business, which is reportedly being reworked for PST:EE, but there are still plenty of mods available. Read on and discover a few community favorites.

And even more in-game settings options!

1. Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options
by argent77

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition provides many settings, allowing players to choose how they want to experience PST:EE, but in certain cases, such as activating the debug console or using 3E Sneak Attacks, they’re not directly accessible in the in-game options menu, and have to be manually enabled in the game’s configuration file (baldur.lua file).

If you find editing files to be a hassle, then the Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options mod is for you. This mods adds a number of useful graphics and gameplay options directly to the game’s menu: enabling cheat keys and the debug console, allowing to use the spacebar to continue in dialogues, to pause game on map screen, and more.

The Nameless One’s magic can come from belief.

2. Power of Belief
by Aquadrizzt

The original team behind Planescape: Torment decided not to include the priest class for the Nameless One, after all, what god would answer his prayer? With the Power of Belief mod the Nameless One can become a priest, and this way Fall-from-Grace will no longer be your only cleric in the party.

The mod offers new dialogue that allows the Nameless One to become a Priest, as well as specialization bonuses for reaching 7th or 12th level as that class, tweaks to maces and war hammers, and new tattoos. Upon switching to the Priest, the Nameless One maintains his Fighter, Mage and Thief levels, and can always switch back to any of his previous classes.

Never miss a line of party conversation with this mod!

3. Banter Accelerator
by argent77

A much loved part of Qwinn's Planescape: Torment Tweak Pack was a banter accelerator that let players experience all 78 voiced banter lines in the game, many of which could be missed due to the amount of time needed for banters to show.

For Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition a new Banter Accelerator mod allows you to define how often party members will banter with each other. You can choose from a list of presets, or specify the desired values yourself.

Sleep well, everywhere.

4. Tweaks Anthology
by CamDawg

Quite recently, the Tweaks Anthology mod hit its milestone v1 release. Many of this mod’s components can work in Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition.

The Tweaks Anthology is a successor to BG2 Tweaks and several other tweak packs, and offers a compilation of fixes, cosmetic changes, and tweaks. They will run on every Infinity Engine game, from the original Planescape: Torment, through the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series, and the new Enhanced Editions of the games. Each component can be installed separately so you can pick and choose only which ones you want to install.

With this mod you can rest anywhere, choose how you gain hit points when leveling up, identify items, or allow arcane spellcasting in armor.

Get a closer look at the creatures you meet when travelling the planes.

5. Journal Portrait Conversations
by smeagolheart

The Journal Portrait Conversations mod became possible thanks to the Enhanced Edition code. This mod adds the appropriate bestiary entry to the left of the dialogue box when you initiate a conversation with Planescape NPCs and creatures.

It even works flawlessly with Easter Egg Morte and Leprechaun Annah (downloadable on planescape.com)

These are only a few of the Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition mods out there. The dedication, resourcefulness and talent of modders for our Enhanced Editions is incredible. We can’t wait to see what new mods the community will dream up!
Do you like playing Enhanced Editions with mods? Let us know which mods are your favorites on Facebook, Twitter, and in our forums.

The mail in question

Beamdog Support (Customer Support)

Apr 13, 08:19 MDT

Hello Adam,

Thanks for contacting Beamdog support. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you.

I am sorry you believe that we are the cause of this, but I can assure you we have no say in what other retailers do with our titles (discounts/bundles, etc).

That being said, GOG brought the idea to our attention and over a year ago Cameron decided that it was a positive choice, I am sorry you are negative towards this, but I want you to know you are supporting the people who make those decisions, and blaming the ones who don't.

We also have no say in what happens to the original versions of the games, we aren't the owners of those and only licensed them to create our Enhanced Editions.

I hope this clarifies things and you have a great day!
-Charles

context https://af.gog.com/forum/baldurs_ga...g_the_classics_unbundled/post29?as=1649904300

:necro:

Now available exclusively at Gog, The Narrative: Enhanced Edition™

We would like to apologize for recent miscommunications regarding the removal of the predecessor products to our Enhanced Edition titles from sale on GOG.

The decision to take Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate II, Icewind Dale, and most recently, Planescape: Torment from sale on GOG and bundle them with the Beamdog Enhanced Edition titles was a joint decision between the Beamdog and GOG leadership teams, just as it was when the GOG Definitive Edition Bundles were first announced.

At no point was it our intention to appear as if we were shifting the weight of this decision to GOG. Again, we apologize for creating this perception and hope to do a better job of communicating with the GOG community in the future.

We believe that bundling the old titles alongside their newer Enhanced Editions creates a value unique to GOG and allows for owners to enjoy the option of choosing to play the game as it was on release or the versions we have made available.

The team at Beamdog is working to better communicate internally and with members of the community. We appreciate the feedback we’ve received so far and look forward to hearing more from GOG fans.

Sincerely,
The Beamdog Team

https://af.gog.com/forum/planescape...ginal_ie_games_from_sale_on_gog?as=1649904300

:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
We would like to apologize for recent miscommunications
More lies from a parasitic company. They've said something entirely else to a customer who asked about it, trying to shift the blame on GOG. And what's the reason they're writing about it only now? Did GOG lawyers made them? That's the most likely explanation. Hard to call it a "joint decision" when they were threatening GOG to go to Steam exclusively if they won't comply.

Anyway, here's their mail:

Beamdog Support (Customer Support)

Apr 13, 08:19 MDT

Hello Adam,

Thanks for contacting Beamdog support. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you.

I am sorry you believe that we are the cause of this, but I can assure you we have no say in what other retailers do with our titles (discounts/bundles, etc).

That being said, GOG brought the idea to our attention and over a year ago Cameron decided that it was a positive choice, I am sorry you are negative towards this, but I want you to know you are supporting the people who make those decisions, and blaming the ones who don't.

We also have no say in what happens to the original versions of the games, we aren't the owners of those and only licensed them to create our Enhanced Editions.

I hope this clarifies things and you have a great day!
-Charles

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/re..._enhanced_edition_7fa05/post176?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
^And the reason why nobody should buy these cashgrab titles ever. Why would you support such a company?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I can also pirate and enjoy the originals.
Or, I can use my legal versions and enjoy the originals.

The possibilities seem endless when the alternative is "enjoying the EEs".

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
So has anyone played this and spotted any changes to the writing?

I watched a bit of someone's playthrough on YouTube and Beamdog seem to have disabled the character-specific themes that play when you talk to a companion, or during other appropriate moments (e.g. when the game starts and you wake up in the Mortuary, the Nameless One's theme would start playing). Now the regular area music just plays during those moments.

muh atmosphere

I wonder if it would be possible to mod in some of the BG/IWD classes and spells. The mod that lets TNO become a priest seems to suggest it could.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's garbage, also developed by some Bioware rejects.
Only thing that it would have going for it is the theme/setting, but only in theory, because I must stress that it is developed by Biowarians and that as result it's garbage from all perspectives.

But yeah, I'm sure shoehorning torment in it would be perfect ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom