Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PrettyDeadman

The task can only be assigned to the most prestigious rpgcodex users with the most ancient rpgcodex accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quantomas

Savant
I think people are reading too much into the word "negotiate". It really just means "somebody who gives enough of a fuck to hash something out with these guys over emails and can be trusted keep track of it going forward". Used to be Angthoron's designated job on staff before he left the forum. It's not something we're going to assign to some random Russian person on the forums just because he's Russian (no offense)

Quantomas You seem to have joined this forum to talk about Kingmaker. Care to tell us more about your background?
Well, this thread is probably not the right place for this.

In short, I am a guy who works on AI, the real stuff, not neuronal network experimentation, and verge on the brink of madness as MRY can attest. And I love Tides of Numenera, which probably makes me a minority on the Codex (my long review is here).

I just love the prospect of a proper Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG as a child of Baldur's Gate and a game that empowers you with a proper stronghold too much not to support this endeavor. Of course it can fail, but you have to try!
4389923_orig.jpg
In general I am very much for vision, progress and innovation, but western societies have become stagnant. There is the vestige of progress held up by Hollywood but not much more. True innovators have a tough time in this age of corporations trying to rule all.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Have they talked about why they used a WoW color palette/aesthetic? That look is usually a harbinger of a poor RPG, much like DOS 1.

One example does not make a "harbinger"

- Developer with doubtful experience

This is beginning to remind me of careers where entry-level jobs need "5 years' experience"
you need a *tool* rating if you think there are no sub-par (a)RPGs using this color palette. It reeks of cargo cult, and has been a predictor of shitty games in the past.

Mustawd

Torchlight 1 and Torchlight 2 are both solid Arpgs with this type of WoW color pallete. There's also a turn based tactical game with similar aesthetics, but the gameplay is very good (I forget the name, but there's a thread on the codex somewhere).

I think art and a UI that reeks of mobile is more of an issue to me than the WoW color palette.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The biggest risk I would see is whether they will manage to build a game in which the story is on par with the systems. It can easily get cheesy, superficial, underwhelming, or like in PoE's case feel too much like an exercise. But considering what MCA said in the AMA and on the Codex, particularly relating to the authors from Paizo and Owlcat, I am not pessimistic. Knowing a bit about the leads of Owlcat, I can imagine that they respect MCA and it may turn out that he will lead by competence even if he doesn't wear the hat of the narrative design lead.

Regarding the Codexian to negotiate with Owlcat, I'd recommend to choose someone who can visit their offices in Moscow and report many new and shiny things for us.
There is also a risk with the system itself. It is pretty hard to make the adventuring part and the strongholding part support each other. After they start carving their small kingdom, the players might rightfully wonder why they need to tackle every problems themselves when they command tons of henchmen, or how is the kingdom helping if most of their gains comes from adventuring, unless the systems are very well integrated.

PrettyDeadman

People on Reddit almost completely ignore Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
There is almost zero threads about this game on Reddit (only talking about it since its the biggest forum) other than ones created then kickstarter campaign started several weeks ago. The biggest thread since then is the one on GirlGamers subreddit which has like 15 replies from a week ago.
why are people ignoring this game?
Is there something wrong with or does it legit seems like most ambitious (yet the one that ispires the most confidence in its quality) rpg currently in development.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These last couple of days, the funding is going quicker. Since yesterday, I think the funding increased by $13k. There were a week or so where the funding slowed down to a crawl. I'm fairly certain that this will reach at least $700k with a boost at the end. Not bad for a studio that a lot of people don.t know about (experienced or not).

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There is almost zero threads about this game on Reddit (only talking about it since its the biggest forum) other than ones created then kickstarter campaign started several weeks ago. The biggest thread since then is the one on GirlGamers subreddit which has like 15 replies from a week ago.
Is there something wrong with or does it legit seems like most ambitious (yet the one that ispires the most confidence in its quality) rpg currently in development.

Unknown Russian developer seems like a good bet.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think what the jew want to ask is that whether you're an Owlcat ad plant? Well, are you, punk?

Anyway, joking aside, dont be afraid to be an ad plant. Aside from an identifying badge, we dont treat you any worse. Plenty of ad plants around here and they can be proud of it.
I think people are reading too much into the word "negotiate". It really just means "somebody who gives enough of a fuck to hash something out with these guys over emails and can be trusted keep track of it going forward". Used to be Angthoron's designated job on staff before he left the forum. It's not something we're going to assign to some random Russian person on the forums just because he's Russian (no offense)

Quantomas You seem to have joined this forum to talk about Kingmaker. Care to tell us more about your background?
Well, this thread is probably not the right place for this.

In short, I am a guy who works on AI, the real stuff, not neuronal network experimentation, and verge on the brink of madness as MRY can attest. And I love Tides of Numenera, which probably makes me a minority on the Codex (my long review is here).

I just love the prospect of a proper Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG as a child of Baldur's Gate and a game that empowers you with a proper stronghold too much not to support this endeavor. Of course it can fail, but you have to try!
4389923_orig.jpg
In general I am very much for vision, progress and innovation, but western societies have become stagnant. There is the vestige of progress held up by Hollywood but not much more. True innovators have a tough time in this age of corporations trying to rule all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
These last couple of days, the funding is going quicker. Since yesterday, I think the funding increased by $13k. There were a week or so where the funding slowed down to a crawl. I'm fairly certain that this will reach at least $700k with a boost at the end. Not bad for a studio that a lot of people don.t know about (experienced or not).
There was a Kotaku article about it yesterday. Expect it to go down in funding again unless they can get more news outlets to promote it daily.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

Because all the threads were made by the devs on the pathfinder subreddit, and those guys want a turn based 1 for 1 adaptation of pathfinder rules. They have zero enthusiasm for a baldur's gate clone.

Do you think girls will like me if I play this game

Quantomas

Savant
I think what the jew want to ask is that whether you're an Owlcat ad plant? Well, are you, punk?

Anyway, joking aside, dont be afraid to be an ad plant. Aside from an identifying badge, we dont treat you any worse. Plenty of ad plants around here and they can be proud of it.
Nah, I don't think Owlcat is that sophisticated in that department and besides Russians care for ethics. They just learned this week that they have to contact the press to get their Kickstarter going, and only because KS commenters pointed this out again and again. Look at that barmy crawl of backers in the week before. I doubt they are aware of the Codex unless MCA mentioned it to them.

I am just a fan of the things I truly like. Who else would spend 140 hours on playing Tides of Numenera?

There is also a risk with the system itself. It is pretty hard to make the adventuring part and the strongholding part support each other. After they start carving their small kingdom, the players might rightfully wonder why they need to tackle every problems themselves when they command tons of henchmen, or how is the kingdom helping if most of their gains comes from adventuring, unless the systems are very well integrated.
I don't think they will go the way of animating the kingdom mechanically on a large scale, e.g. big armies, guard detachments and the like. My guess is they will use the NPC roles in the kingdom for roleplaying and story, and additionally use the buildings you construct to provide you with feats and perks. Of course all of this is interlinked, for example if you aligned with the Witches of Irrisen and construct a building to support them, then you might encounter them on the streets of your capital and they might impart lore to you or give you a quest to find a secret location. But mind you, this is all conjecture on my part (except of the Witches of Irrisen alliance). We have to wait until they reveal more of their plans for the Kingdom gameplay.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
There is almost zero threads about this game on Reddit (only talking about it since its the biggest forum) other than ones created then kickstarter campaign started several weeks ago.
The biggest thread since then is the one on GirlGamers subreddit which has like 15 replies from a week ago.

As has been mentioned before, there's no media coverage.

Quality cannot be seen by somebody who only reads a news article or two, and people don't care about it anyway.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Haha, jeez this picture reminded me about the parts of Kingmaker I didn't like. It's ridicoulous :lol:

wRdpPVc.png

"oh noooes, the terrible faeries"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Kind of a weird stretch goal too. Not nearly enough P&P fans to justify making the reveal of something from the adventure path a stretch goal. Even most Kingmaker-players I suspect won't care that much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excidium II if your "citation needed" is serious then

Read the Adventure Path. I GMed it as well as played it, and the central plot is that while you build your kingdom you're expanding on lands with significance to a faerie queen who is essentially the main villain.

PrettyDeadman

Excidium II if your "citation needed" is serious then

Read the Adventure Path. I GMed it as well as played it, and the central plot is that while you build your kingdom you're expanding on lands with significance to a faerie queen who is essentially the main villain.

So, instaead of killing ancient dragons we will be killing flies? Epic...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom