Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition. The interface is a legitimate improvement over that hovering disc menu thing in the original and they didn't fuck with anything but interface as far as I know, so I'd say it's a worthwhile improvement.

Just a question for anyone who's played either version. I've never went to the bother of recruiting Nordom before. I hear it's a huge hastle. Is he worthwhile? Like is his dialogue actually good? I'm thinking of switching TNO from mage to fighter, then swapping in Nordom instead of Dak'kon (who I never really enjoy much)

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I'm playing Godfather the game for Xbox. Pretty good and lots of fun. It's a gta clone in a sense that it's open world. But the story goes exactly like the movie while you play as an associate in the Coreleon family. Eventually you can work your way up the ladder and become Don.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp. Decided to just try anyway. I'm commited now

20170619234007_1.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm playing Godfather the game for Xbox. Pretty good and lots of fun. It's a gta clone in a sense that it's open world. But the story goes exactly like the movie while you play as an associate in the Coreleon family. Eventually you can work your way up the ladder and become Don.
Forgot that game existed. It was a pretty big deal when it came out. Much better than the Scarface one.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nordom is the most expendable part of the team. When I go 5man to Ravel (then Curst) he's the one left behind.

Still, he's pretty handy even in close quarter sort that is 99% of Rubikon Cube. The 1% is the boss fight.

Well, grinding him in the Cubes to get there should let you hear major parts of his dialog.

Lambach

Arcane
Nordom is the most expendable part of the team. When I go 5man to Ravel (then Curst) he's the one left behind.

Combat-wise, the ultimate strategy in the game includes Nordom because of his powerful ranged auto-attacks. Get TNO to 22+ CON, aggro the enemies with him, kite them all day long as Nordom takes them out with his crossbows. If TNO gets hit, doesn't matter, 22+ CON lets him regen quite quickly.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Finished borderlands pre sequel(god i hate that title) with a couple of friends and it just as bad as borderlands 2.
For a loot game series they sure do everything to make getting loot feels as soulless as ever:
-Loot comes in three forms:
1)Useless
2)Gimmicks which either are nice or completely useless and make the weapon useless.
3)Weapons that deal actual damage
As you can guess 80% of the loot in the game is useless,and all of that applies to chest and normal drops.
The best loot is either given in quests(very rare and dlc specific) ,bought in shops(there is a chance of a legendary appearing) or using the grinder.
The grinder is the most stupidest thing i have ever seen,basically you give 3 weapons and it gives you a new weapon depending on the types and rarity level.
So basically a very expensive slot machine where you have no idea what are you gonna get.
And unless you are going for legendaries there is no point in using it considering everything it can create minus legendaries is garbage damage wise.
So basically any action that isn't farming a boss is gonna be underwhelming.
Even in diablo 3 you get better loot,here it is a congo line of linearity(quest lines give weapons which are good) and disappointment.
Backpack size is also underwhelming,why limit it so much?
It is 30 something max which is hilariously bad considering there are 6 weapon typed and multiple elemental types.
One of the people with who i was playing with loved to use most of his weapons and experiment,he spent most of time selling and arranging his inventory.
-Platforming sucks and they are forcing it with the jet pack.
Tons of invisible walls and bad platforming section is not fun,and the sheer annoyance when an item gets stuck somewhere and you have to maneuver around just to pick it up is annoying.
-Enemy scaling is shit and makes most weapons useless.
Simply put it is the typical :
dog lv1 is a pushover ,dog lv2 is Satan incarnate.
Enemies deal way too much damage in later levels.You have shield with 10k,doesn't matter since they do 20k+ damage.
You never feel you accomplished anything considering enemies just don't care and one shot you.
Also there is too much shit on the screen constantly,if you get a acid and electric type enemy good luck seeing anything from colorful rainbow that your screen becomes.
So basically here is a high level encounter borderlands:
You shoot 1-2 enemy and kill them and get downed,then you get a revive or second wind and do the same thing again.
Most of the time is spent either dead or running away and hoping they don't one shot you.
Now this all applies to enemies above level 24,hell even level 22 eats through a 2k+ shield in seconds.
Maybe we just got unlucky with the shields drop,but i doubt it.
-Bullet physics is wonky since borderlands 1.
Basically some of your bullets will clip through enemies,not miss but just go straight through them.
Try to unload a smg into a enemy and you will notice weird behaviors with the bullets.
Especially glaring while you are sniping and the bullets goes through the enemy head into the wall.
Now this doesn't happen all the time but it is annoying enough and it was the same thing in borderlands 1.
-Missions require you to listen to idiotic writing before you continue,imagine borderlands 2 writing but with more gay people.

How the hell did they fuck up a looter game?

flyingjohn

Arcane
joke's on you for playing borderlands
As much as i hate borderlands 2 and pre sequel the first one is not so bad.
Loot has very few gimmicks and normal weapons are viable.
Level scaling is still there but not in such inflated numbers.
The story is not memes and sjw bullshit,hell there is very little story whatsoever.
The dlc are actually nice(especially knox with his armory)
You actually get revolvers and pistols as separate weapon types.
It is not a great game but certainly above its sequels.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm done with Serious Sam's Bogus Detour.

If you're familiar with Hammerwatch then this game comes from the same devs, and is almost the same type of game, a Gauntlet clone that evolves into a twin-stick shooter as Serious Sam takes on hordes of monsters in Ancient Egypt, Troy, Greece and finally the Moon! The usual assortment of monsters return from various SSam games such as Kleers, Marsh-hoppers, kamikazes, Werebulls and Mechas, but sadly the only new additions are generic enemies like turrets, soldiers, armored kamikazes (uh-oh) and those ugly plants from Hammerwatch.

Sam also gets his usual toys to play with, but the new arsenal consists of a railgun, a weapon that fires spinning sawblades that bounce off walls (and are required to solve a few puzzles) and an electric gun, plus a super-secret "Ooze Gun" that seems to mostly be an area denial weapon. (And there's even a melee weapon upgrade if you can find it.)

What sets Bogus Detour away from the other Serious Sam games are the RPG aspects - yes, you heard that right. Sam now gains levels which earn him stars which equal as skillpoints. Every level gain earns Sam three stars, but more stars can be found in-game in deviously hidden areas. These skill points can be spent on abilities such as boosted health and armor, increased ammo capacity and power-ups to a few weapons. Not a balanced system in any way (way too many skills involve boosting the pistols) but seasoned ARPG players should quickly spot the good abilities.

There's also the multiplayer and level editor to play with, but I didn't bother much with those. I think, however, that both will help to keep the game alive and kicking for years to come.

Bogus Detour is a fun game to play, but what lays it low is the "Death by a thousand cuts"-syndrome. There are far too many little things wrong with the game that need to be fixed before the game can be considered worth your money.

# Due to the dimensons of modern monitors players are put at an disadvantage when fighting vertically, as monsters will often attack from off-screen where you can't see them.
# All the weapons have the wrong quickslots! Melee weapon and pistols share the No. 1 spot, but then shotguns get No.2 (when they're normally No. 3) and so on. The Serious Cannon is at No. 6 for some reason. This really screws with veteran SSam players.
# Monsters are dumb as bricks, they either run at you or hold their position to shoot at you once they see you.
# In order to make Kleers "stand out" they've added a "stun attack" to it, which slows down Sam severly if it connects. Worse than that it prevents Sam from firing for a few seconds, meaning that a stray Kleer that manages to pounce on you can easily be the death of you!
# There's a secret level that requires a force field to be disabled. Unlike the rest of the entire game that tells you everything you need to do, the game is strangely silent about what you need to do to take down the force field itself. (Hint, there's a camera on a tripod nearby that Sam can carry about. Point it at blue forcefields that are in your way to disable them.)
# The final boss is an utter cheesefest. Two giant mechs that stomp around raining bullet-death upon you in a circular arena. At the edge of the arena are 8 pillars. Once you've dealt enough damage to the mechs, out comes an never-ending horde of Engineers that run to these pillars and not only throw up a shield around one (or both) of the mechs, but also repair it! This means you have to hunt down every last Engineer at the pillars (and they love to use the pillars for cover) before being able to attack the mechs again, and hopefully you can blast enough health off the mechs before the next spawn of Engineers comes in! This gets real tiresome superfast.
# The game crashed at the final level far too often for me. Make sure you have the most recently patched version as they're working on this as we speak.
# Illogical gameplay designs. You start each level with 3-4 lives. More lives can usually be found in the levels, but they don't carry over into the next one... the lives counter resets to the default if you have surplus lives.
# Saving is done via checkpoints, and this is probably the biggest gamebreaker of them all. You cannot see these checkpoints, you cannot re-trigger them to save your progress, and worst of all they're tied into the lives counter. If you run out of lives in a level you have to restart from scratch!

Overall, this is a game that needs a little more time in the oven. Give the devs a little time to patch it up and address glaring issues, and also give the community time to come up with good user-made campaigns. Round up a couple of friends and you should have one hell of a fragfest on your hands.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Finished ankh, a adventure game by deck 13(lords of the fallen ,venetica).
It a basically a kid friendly point and click adventure game set in ancient Egypt.
As for the humor and plot i think this comment from adventure gamer's says all:What a cool game ! ....Imagine Egyptians talk and behave like people who lives in New York…
And the developers are Germans so you can already imagine how successful they implemented this.(gangsta ferry rider and party hard pharaoh)
The characters are simply boring or lacking personality like the main character.This is mostly due to the lack of text interactions.You know how you could spend several minutes in old adventure games s just listening to unique descriptions,well here there is very few unique descriptions and most of the characters have very few lines of dialogue.
The puzzles are easy and you are mostly given enough hints to not get stuck.The only thing you can get stuck is that some items are hard to spot and you can miss them very easily.
Doesn't help that there aren't even 10 areas in the game and the loading screen are frequent but quick.
At one point you can control multiple characters but it just feels underutilized since you don't need to do anything complex.
It just feels like a mediocre game without any game breaking flaws but also without anything interesting.
In fact the best way i would describe this game is with "episodic gaming",there is more here then the usual one episode of sam and max but not by much.
I guess i can't be disappointed since i didn't expect much.
Here is a file needed for running the game in windows 7 if you are interested: https://gamefront.online/files/listing/pub2/Ankh/Unofficial_Patches/

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I recently reinstalled Wesnoth to help combat the summer drought. Still holds up, and has better gameplay than most stone soup-starters. If any youngfags have never played it and are curious go dl it free at https://www.wesnoth.org.

Zibniyat

Arcane
bayonetta-guillotine.jpg

The game is ridiculous, but in a good way. Not a fan of some quick-time events tho. Also, some boss battles are quite difficult for my lazy ass, gonna take a while before I finish this game. Love the protagonist Bayonetta btw.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'd love Wesnoth minus the RNG. Maybe I should try Telepath Tactics or one of those again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm having a go at Jazzpunk: Director's Cut (for which I purchased the DLC during the Steam Summer Sale).

Jazzpunk takes place in a world where Japan won WWII over the US, and now a US/Asian conglomerate is waging a Cold War against the Soviet Union, roughly in their version of the 1960s. You control an "agent" for an agency of sorts where you're given Bond-esque assignments. To say that this game is surreal is an understatement, so I'll abandon any further explanation and leave it up to players to figure out the game from there.

I bought and played Jazzpunk originally shortly after it was released. It's both short and devoid of any real gameplay, but it's still highly enjoyable due to the wonderful visuals, style and humor. The game truly shines if you just walk around, click on things and see what kind of response you get. Click on boxes, potted plants and mundane items to get the strangest of reactions. Occasionally inventory items come into play, but mostly they're just for further experiments, like putting quarters into every coin slot you can find during the first mission.

One notable point of criticism I made against the game back in 2014 was the fact that the voice acting is almost entirely done by notable SJWs Zoe Quinn and Jim Sterling, and this was during the height of GamerGate. I raised the concern that their presence might influence the game in a negative manner, which I felt was unfair against a game that otherwise doesn't get involved in modern-day politics.

Now, 3 years later, a Director's Cut has been released and my worst fears have come true: The game has been censored.

It seems that every joke of a sexual or overly political nature has been removed from the game. Two good examples can be found in the first mission. In the lobby of the Soviet embassy was a potted plant that would say "I'm a political prisoner", but now it doesn't say that line any longer. Another is a female robot of sorts that would do a sexy dance and kiss you if you fed it a quarter. Now it just slaps you with a fish. People are claiming that this is due to demands made by Sony for the PS4 release of the game, but that only makes it worse. It shows that the dev has no backbone at all and rolls over at the slightest provocation concerning him or his game. A lot of people are asking for the original Jazzpunk back, but there hasn't been a peep from the dev about this. (Meanwhile the original version of Jazzpunk is still available from non-Steam retailers.)

Further changes to the original game involve redesigned levels, especially the greatly expanded Japan mission... but honestly? Seeing how the developer behaves makes me regret buying the DLC (to the point that I've asked for a refund of it) so at this time my verdict for Jazzpunk is Caveat Emptor! You may be supporting the SJW cause by buying this game.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I'd love Wesnoth minus the RNG. Maybe I should try Telepath Tactics or one of those again.
So you will be happy to learn that there is a way now to turn the RNG off.

You tick a box and you get the same outcomes even with reloads. Its called deterministic mode and you can turn it on before starting a campaign.

No idea how that works in practice, didn't have the time to try it yet.

Also, I am waiting for 1.14, thats when the game gets to steam.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So you will be happy to learn that there is a way now to turn the RNG off.

You tick a box and you get the same outcomes even with reloads. Its called deterministic mode and you can turn it on before starting a campaign.

No idea how that works in practice, didn't have the time to try it yet.

Also, I am waiting for 1.14, thats when the game gets to steam.
With the deterministic mode (chosen when starting a campaign) even after reloading a save, the random number generator yields the same results.
It's a great feature, not exactly what I was asking for. I would like the RNG to be completely removed in favour of something more like a formula á là dmg = (attack - defense) * armor. There were mods for this years ago, I don't believe they're compatible with the latest version.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Played Devil May Cry 3 today, ti's a hell of a lot better than Devil May Cry 2. I still feel like these DMC games don't have fun gameplay outside combat. Dante always moves really slow and parkour/platforming is really bad in these games. Compared to Ninja Gaiden Sigma which I played today and Bayonetta I played a month ago, Ryu can run on walls and do flips and shit while Bayonetta can transform to cats, birds and flips through the air while Dante can't do any of these things and it is boring. Granted, the combat is pretty good but the lack of these options made the flying centipede boss very boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom