Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you get annoyed at the state of RPGs?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Because in Arcanum and Fallout if you didn't pump points into combat stats you were successful at fighting? Oh, they were all combat stats for the most part. Your example of how it wasn't free articulates what the game allows you more options to progress through the game than most do. How successful would you be going up against a group of professional soldiers? Not very I am guessing. So you are knocking a game for being realistic and allowing non-combats a way to progress as well as combatants.

I despise games that allow you to be a master of all trades, and the only way to be OP in either game and be a master of all is by gaming the system and summoning monsters non stop at certain points like the missing guy's workshop with the never ending portal, or by doing the content. By the time you are OP in either game you are way deep in it with little content left. In FO both games have time limits so you can't fuck around getting travel events ad nauseam and beat the game.

And those skills checks you are whining about are what gave both FOs and Arcanum such high replay values. Different builds to do different things. People whine about the combat in AoD but it wasn't bad. There were only a couple battles I had to restart a couple times. Other than that the don't be stupid rule won the day. That is the key to success in life in general - don't be stupid. Think, plan, execute, adapt, repeat. I was able to successfully play through with a combat heavy character with thief skills and a combat heavy character with the scholar/archeologist type skills and yet another with some blacksmith skills. I never played through as a pure fighter, and all tried different weapon combos (or single weapon). All approached combat differently so I could pass different skill checks.
First of all i don't hate AoD,it is not for me and i get it why people enjoy it.If you enjoy it then more power to you.In Arcanum you could reach the last level before entering the second half.There is bunch of encounters and a lot of quest.Also both the Fallout and Arcanum let you pass all the checks if you are an experienced rpg player.As off realism....well in real live you don't send a level one character that couldn't beat bunch of hobos with sticks on worlds domination quest.You send a highly skilled professional with a multitude of skills.And yes in arcanum you could good in combat without having a single point in combat skills,you could be support mage with a lot of companions or you could be a summoner.If you like that much gated content the you must love Tyranny.

in real live you don't send a level one character that couldn't beat bunch of hobos with sticks on worlds domination quest
Good then that nobody sends you on "word domination quest"at level 1 in AOD so why did you mention it ? To prove that you haven't played the game you talk about ?

Fallout and Arcanum let you pass all the checks if you are an experienced rpg player.
LOL ? No, you still have to put enough skill points in the skill that is checked. No magical "good rpg player" (what does it even mean ? The only crpg that are in any way difficult are either very old or very heavily combat-focused, usually both) skills will make it happen. Exactly as in AoD. And if you claim that you can pass all checks in one play trough with one char in Fallouts/Arcanum by min/maxing - then how is it a sign of good design ???
You can be more than one thing in AoD, hybrids are a thing for a reason. Also as a pure fighter you can still have enough points to develop some non-combat skills, i know, i did it in my first and only full game of AoD.

There is bunch of encounters and a lot of quest
As in you know, a crpg. Like AoD, or Fallout. In other news: water is wet and Sun is hot.

And yes in arcanum you could good in combat without having a single point in combat skills,you could be
support mage with a lot of companions
AoD does not have companions - so logically you must be able to do everything on your own obviously.

and i get it why people enjoy it.
Considering all the above, i doubt it.

If you like that much gated content the you must love Tyranny
If you like to be able to do everything in one play why are you here ? Codex was always very vocal about real choices & consequences and their importance in crpg design. Maybe a different community would suit your tastes better ?

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Because in Arcanum and Fallout if you didn't pump points into combat stats you were successful at fighting? Oh, they were all combat stats for the most part. Your example of how it wasn't free articulates what the game allows you more options to progress through the game than most do. How successful would you be going up against a group of professional soldiers? Not very I am guessing. So you are knocking a game for being realistic and allowing non-combats a way to progress as well as combatants.

I despise games that allow you to be a master of all trades, and the only way to be OP in either game and be a master of all is by gaming the system and summoning monsters non stop at certain points like the missing guy's workshop with the never ending portal, or by doing the content. By the time you are OP in either game you are way deep in it with little content left. In FO both games have time limits so you can't fuck around getting travel events ad nauseam and beat the game.

And those skills checks you are whining about are what gave both FOs and Arcanum such high replay values. Different builds to do different things. People whine about the combat in AoD but it wasn't bad. There were only a couple battles I had to restart a couple times. Other than that the don't be stupid rule won the day. That is the key to success in life in general - don't be stupid. Think, plan, execute, adapt, repeat. I was able to successfully play through with a combat heavy character with thief skills and a combat heavy character with the scholar/archeologist type skills and yet another with some blacksmith skills. I never played through as a pure fighter, and all tried different weapon combos (or single weapon). All approached combat differently so I could pass different skill checks.
First of all i don't hate AoD,it is not for me and i get it why people enjoy it.If you enjoy it then more power to you.In Arcanum you could reach the last level before entering the second half.There is bunch of encounters and a lot of quest.Also both the Fallout and Arcanum let you pass all the checks if you are an experienced rpg player.As off realism....well in real live you don't send a level one character that couldn't beat bunch of hobos with sticks on worlds domination quest.You send a highly skilled professional with a multitude of skills.And yes in arcanum you could good in combat without having a single point in combat skills,you could be support mage with a lot of companions or you could be a summoner.If you like that much gated content the you must love Tyranny.

in real live you don't send a level one character that couldn't beat bunch of hobos with sticks on worlds domination quest
Good then that nobody sends you on "word domination quest"at level 1 in AOD so why did you mention it ? To prove that you haven't played the game you talk about ?

Fallout and Arcanum let you pass all the checks if you are an experienced rpg player.
LOL ? No, you still have to put enough skill points in the skill that is checked. No magical "good rpg player" (what does it even mean ? The only crpg that are in any way difficult are either very old or very heavily combat-focused, usually both) skills will make it happen. Exactly as in AoD. And if you claim that you can pass all checks in one play trough with one char in Fallouts/Arcanum by min/maxing - then how is it a sign of good design ???
You can be more than one thing in AoD, hybrids are a thing for a reason. Also as a pure fighter you can still have enough points to develop some non-combat skills, i know, i did it in my first and only full game of AoD.

As in you know, a crpg. Like AoD, or Fallout. In other news: water is wet and Sun is hot.

And yes in arcanum you could good in combat without having a single point in combat skills,you could be
AoD does not have companions - so logically you must be able to do everything on your own obviously.

If you like to be able to do everything in one play why are you here ? Codex was always very vocal about real choices & consequences and their importance in crpg design. Maybe a different community would suit your tastes better ?
Fuck of fanboy!Stop wasting my tame with your halfwited drivel.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
How mature of you. I stand by my last point - it would be better for you to find a different forum. Alternatively you might want to learn how to argue and defend your opinions - in a reasonable manner preferably.

EDIT: the quote is from fantadomat not Grampy_Bone. Sorry for that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Pathetic. Especially your last point. Someone has different opinions about something and you try to ostracize him by claiming "IT NOT DUH CODEX WAY", what is this fucking Reddit now? People have differing opinions you dumb piece of shit. Get the fuck over it and stop trying to speak on behalf of everyone.

As for your other points I didn't even read them

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How mature of you. I stand by my last point - it would be better for you to find a different forum. Alternatively you might want to learn how to argue and defend your opinions - in a reasonable manner preferably.
Hahahaha i have learned to not argue with a straw man.It is obvious how you took every single of my points and just smeared your bullshit arguments over them.Also i didn't knew that this "COMMUNITY" is made solely from AoD fantards.Why don't you just go and fight some trash bin?Oh and yeah Arcanum and Fallout 2 you can pass all the checks.The hardest one is in Fallout 2 where you try to join the vault.Judging by your comment you don't have Fallout2 and Arcanum in high regard because you can mid-max in them.Maybe you should spend more time in some COMMUNITY like tumblr.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't see another crash coming ever outside of a nuclear holocaust. Games are reaching more people and have a larger demographic than ever before, especially larger than during the original video game crash. Games are a global phenomenon now, on par with cinema and music. It's not simply going to die off.

The same was starting to happen in 1983.

I'm very much looking forward to Bards Tale and WL3 (though the "modernization" of the design and developed for both pc and console leaves me skeptical for WL3).

Why don't you see Mr. Ponzi for what he is?

Someone who makes games I really enjoy? And look at the end product, and WL2 and T:ToN were both well worth the money. WL2 DC is easily one of the best crpgs of all time. Definitely top 10. And this is from the only person I know of who didn't believe for a second inXile could make a semi-decent rpg, never mind a great one. I did not back it and I did not believe anything they said about it. I thought it would be rpg-lite foppery, but was very surprised by the end product, and even more happy the DC actually fixed every major problem of the game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Pathetic. Especially your last point. Someone has different opinions about something and you try to ostracize him by claiming "IT NOT DUH CODEX WAY", what is this fucking Reddit now? People have differing opinions you dumb piece of shit. Get the fuck over it and stop trying to speak on behalf of everyone.

As for you your other points I didn't even read them
I am not a c&c-fag myself - so much for the "codex way".
I don't hold any power over the guy, and i am only one person. I suggest to check the meaning of the word "ostracize" before using it.
And i was harsh because he made really dumb points. But you wouldn't know because you jumped to conclusions. Great job.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

As for your other points I didn't even read them
Shame that i can't rate yet mate i would have given you the good old brofist.Far too many Communist this days.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hahahaha i have learned to not argue with a straw man.It is obvious how you took every single of my points and just smeared your bullshit arguments over them.Also i didn't knew that this "COMMUNITY" is made solely from AoD fantards.Why don't you just go and fight some trash bin?Oh and yeah Arcanum and Fallout 2 you can pass all the checks.The hardest one is in Fallout 2 where you try to join the vault.Judging by your comment you don't have Fallout2 and Arcanum in high regard because you can mid-max in them.Maybe you should spend more time in some COMMUNITY like tumblr.

Straw-man is a type of argument, not type of person. It is also a scarecrow, which also is not a person outside of Oz and other fiction.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Straw-man is a type of argument, not type of person. It is also a scarecrow, which also is not a person outside of Oz and other fiction.
Another straw-man.Pointing a semantic and ignoring everything else.......amazing!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Wow, this is awesome. Someone is making great, reasonable, and logical points about rpgs that isn't me. I love you, mister.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Another straw-man.Pointing a semantic and ignoring everything else.......amazing!

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Make it "forum" if community word triggers you so much.
How is it bad to take other persons arguments and point their flaws ? Care to explain it to our simple minds ?
How i am an AoD fantard ? Because i pointed factual errors you made about the game ? (for example: no one is sending you to dominate the world at level 1 - this is simply false. FACT)
As the poster above mentioned - people are not made of straw. Arguments are. So which one of mine was a strawman ? You need to point them out and say why, just shouting "strawman" doesn't mean anything.
I like Fallout 2 a lot. But not because you can min-max. Min/maxing in a c&c centered game is counter-productive. In a combat-centric game with good level of challenge - sure, it is great. Fallout 2 is very easy as is.

YES!
Don't spoon feed him. He needs to learn to do things on his own. :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.
Amazing you can use the internet!
the-it-crowd-Jen-presents-the-internet-box-1379553174Y.gif

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Amazing you can use the internet!
the-it-crowd-Jen-presents-the-internet-box-1379553174Y.gif

I did it! Yeah!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL you two should get a room.It is far too sad to look at you.You will make a good two people trash-bin killing party.

Alkarl

Learned
AoD fantards.

You don't seem to understand. Being an AoD fantard is a good thing :dealwithit:
Liking something is a good thing,being fanatical is rarely a good thing.

The main problem with your argument is that, when seperated from its subject, it makes the same amount of sense. You could replace AoD with cheeseburgers and still be facing the same kind of opposition.

No one is being fanatical or rolling out straw-men arguments. Put your leftist rhetoric/wrong speak bullshit away and learn to argue. Or at least admit you don't know what you're talking about instead of engaging in flame tactics.

AoD is pretty highly regarded around here, and it has some pretty great C&C and combat. Not to mention the setting is fairly original, Post-Apocalypse, but Romans though.

So yeah, newfag, learn to play better games or learn to argue.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I got really pissed at what we got from all those kickstarters. I thought it was going to be a huge revival and I ended up with a lot of games I don't even care enough about to play.
I agree. I kickstarted DoS and love it, but every other thing I've seen on there has been worthless. I only kickstarted a few other things but I regret them now. PoE was one and I hated that game.

Seriously now, Skyrim could be a great open-world game but it's so shallow and simple it hurts.

The most annoying thing about the whole RPG genre is that in every game, there is always something that the game is totally missing and not doing right - be it combat system, plot, illogical C&C, etc.
That's exactly my problem. My main issue is that I only enjoy the combat because the stories are always terrible, I always hate all the characters, and everything they have to say, in every game. If I want that kind of thing I'll watch a good film or tv show. I want gameplay and combat from my RPGs and if it does a bad job of that, it is worthless to me. Witcher 3 hurts the most because I actually liked the characters and world in that game. If I could play that game as a real RPG character with D&D style combat and lots of spells etc, it would be one of my favorite games. But without real combat, I hated it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Hey I didn't say that. Quote the right person!

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Hey I didn't say that. Quote the right person!
No you didn't. I am sorry, It was a quote from fantadomat not You. I have no idea why your name is there instead - i must have misclicked something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom