Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy

Severian Silk

This game came free with my Summer Sale purchase at GOG. Is it any good? It has high user scores on Steam. How does it compare to Starpoint Gemini 2 which I got for free last week on Steam? RG limits movement to a 2D plane, which disturbs me greatly. Anyone else think this was a bad idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Spam flack when you're being attacked by fighters. Although the EMP pulse weapon is better than flack cannons.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not particularly deep but was probably meant as a test bubble just like Torchlight 1 was before the more fleshed out Torchlight 2. I made another thread in the Sim forum with teasers of their next game which builds upon Rebel Galaxy and pushes it closer to Privateer.

tindrli

Arcane
It's not particularly deep but was probably meant as a test bubble just like Torchlight 1 was before the more fleshed out Torchlight 2. I made another thread in the Sim forum with teasers of their next game which builds upon Rebel Galaxy and pushes it closer to Privateer.

i agree but still i at the moment im enjoining the game

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, I don't disagree. I played for around thirty or so hours because it was very atmospheric.

Severian Silk

Does this game have a story? Every game must have a good story. Tell me about story.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No story, you story-fag. It has a very shallow story but the appeal is doing random missions, joining guilds, etc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Even so the upgrades from the story quests aren't that great. If you can get past the 2D combat I don't see how anyone who enjoyed Privateer/Freelancer wouldn't have at least 15-20 hours of fun with the game.

horrible game, awesome ost. i begged for this because usually gog gives osts and other goodies with it, but i didn't check and in the end i had to download the soundtrack from a torrent site.
still worth it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Yeah, this is definitely in the wrong forum. I don't mind the 2d and like the graphics. I just can't ever really get over the travel time that seems to be a staple in all space games now. Doing nothing isn't fun.

The combat is pretty fun and more like an ocean ship battle with broadside usage and shit like that, more than a privateer type combat.

Severian Silk

I played a (very little) bit of RG, and am trying to get used to the control scheme. I think I liked the Starpoint Gemini 2 control scheme better, though this game may require more agency on the part of the player during combat. In SG2 I used auto aim for the most part. Hard to tell for sure right now.

The character animations in RG are well done.

Beastro

Arcane
Don't like the comparisons to naval combat given that, from what I've seen, projectiles travel in straight lines like in any space game, but in navalncombat the projectiles move in arcs allowing maneuvering more of a chance to actually evade them. This is the worst of both naval and space combat, imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom