Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox increase prices in poor countries, change their minds after getting reviewbombed lol

pippin

Tencent is a fucking force of evil, like even Ktulu is kinda afraid of Tencent.

DramaticPopcorn

Lolwut:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

Hi,

Please see below the most recent statement from Fred:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all and thanks for your feedback, Following up from yesterday, this will sound a bit schizophrenic but I have really appreciated the reactions from this forum. I have spent the last 24 hours reading your comments and feedback and replying to email (fredrik.wester@paradoxplaza.com for all of you who didn't know it); during this time I came to a couple of conclusions:

1. In regards to the price changes you are absolutely right. You deserve more transparency and better communication from Paradox when it comes to changing of our prices and pricing policy. Therefore I have decided to roll back all price changes made; any price changes will have to be for future products well communicated in advance. I just came off the phone with Steam and they say we can't do the roll-back before the Summer Sale is over (otherwise it would mean we have to take all Paradox products off the summer sale) but it will be done right after. For anyone who bought any of the games during this time (including during the summer sale) we will try to refund (if possible in the Steam platform) or reimburse with games of a value exceeding the difference. If none of this is possible (I do not in detail know the limits to the Steam platform) we will internally calculate the difference in revenue before and after the price change, double the value, and donate the money to the UNHCR.

2. Some of the frustration has been expressed due to our DLC policy and how we handle additional content for our games. Since the release of Crusader Kings 2 (Feb 14, 2012) we have adopted a policy where we release paid content and at the same time content for free even if you do not want to pay for the DLC. This means that if you only paid for the original game, you still have a completely different game today with thousands of additions, upgrades and changes. This doesn't mean you should stop giving us feedback on how we conduct our business but if you straight out just hate our DLC policy I respectfully say that we have to agree to disagree.

3. I have promised myself never to give in to mob mentality; it's one of the worst things I know and a terrible way to convince me. In fact, being a pig-headed CEO of a company that has grown from 7 people to 225 during time I have had the privilege to run it, I have probably from time to time been more prone to say "no" than "yes" when people gang up on me/us to make us change our minds - I guess partly by principle not to cave in due to pressure. In this case, my change of stance has been made from communicating with people who have been active in our community for 10+ years, people who spent thousands of hours in our games and coming to the conclusions you find above.

Finally - as much as I love a good conspiracy theory; to be frank, the whole "Tencent bought 5% of Paradox and now they're all greedy" and "They're now a publicly traded company and therefore do things the market wish for" is below the level of intelligence of this community. I still hold 33.3% in Paradox, I am still CEO, board member and avid gamer. All you need to know is that the buck stops here. All problems/feedback can easily be sent my way, I will not always agree but I promise to listen.

Best
Fred
fredrik.wester@paradoxplaza.com

Anyone have any idea what this means? All I know is I bought Rights of Man at 50% off. You don't get to take it back assholes!
Gotta love those passive-agressive self-congratulatory remarks that don't actually adress anything. The entire thing can be summed up:
We heard you, we're reverting the change after the steam sale because we can't do it earlier. We'll come up with a solution for refunds and all that shit.
That's literally it.
Why he went on a tanget to DEFEND THIS DECISION is totally beyond me. Not only is he coming off as totally petty by insulting everyone's intelligence, his shitty self agrandizing points have literally nothing to do with the situation itself.
Eh, paracucks amirite you guys

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean they are the only company to jack up the prices of 5 to 10 year old games no? Even AAA+ studios tend to lower prices of their old games, not increase them. Civ5 etc. are much cheaper now than what they were on release. If Paradox reduced the price of the main games after they release a lot of DLCs for them, they would probably increase the sales as well. Because a lot of people who want to get into their games are intimidated by total cost. Just trying to milk a core player-base even further instead of acquiring new players and then alienating your core base like this seems not only greedy but also stupid.
Ubisoft did that several months ago but their situation somehow only got a fraction of attention from the community. For example, their new games used to cost 1799 INR (indian rupees) but shortly after For Honor launch, all full price games got jacked up to 3499 INR. Some of their older games like South Park also got price hike in several regions other than US and EU :salute:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I mean they are the only company to jack up the prices of 5 to 10 year old games no? Even AAA+ studios tend to lower prices of their old games, not increase them. Civ5 etc. are much cheaper now than what they were on release. If Paradox reduced the price of the main games after they release a lot of DLCs for them, they would probably increase the sales as well. Because a lot of people who want to get into their games are intimidated by total cost. Just trying to milk a core player-base even further instead of acquiring new players and then alienating your core base like this seems not only greedy but also stupid.
Ubisoft did that several months ago but their situation somehow only got a fraction of attention from the community. For example, their new games used to cost 1799 INR (indian rupees) but shortly after For Honor launch, all full price games got jacked up to 3499 INR. Some of their older games like South Park also got price hike in several regions other than US and EU :salute:
Well Shitysoft are feeling the heat underneath their shit being eaten by Vivendi while their games are not doing as good as expected.If Farcry and asscreed do poorly(and most likely they will do poorly) we may see new Shitysoft.

Ovg

Cipher
As usual, the cucks waver at the sight of a unified people. Mr. :selfhate: should damn well apologise.

pippin

I haven't seen a significative raise in prices and I do live in the third world. In fact I thnk the prices weren't changed at all. That means I live in the second world? yay?

Still, this is commonly done all across every aspect of trade. In a way I think it tells you how big the gaming industry is, because you have fucks like Paradox applying proper Invisible Hand tactics, it's weird.

mbv123

Arbiter
GOYIM KNOW
SHUT IT DOWN
4PEYDgD.jpg

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Fuck poor people. They should spend their time bettering their situation not playing computer games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck poor people. They should spend their time bettering their situation not playing computer games.
Well people from those countries are not poor per say.They just can't pay the price in western currencies because the western economy is heavily centered around inflation.For me a AAA game is worth 60 Euro,for 60euro i can eat good food for two week and go out with friends at least 2 times a week.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They're not getting much sales this Summer with that kind of prices. Well deserved.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They're not getting much sales this Summer with that kind of prices. Well deserved.
If they decided to roll back on their jew policy then the sales must be dire.From what i read on the forum the devs must be shitting bricks.If paradox looses it loyal fan base they will be broke in year.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They tried to rollback before steam summer sales start but couldn't. Now they reap what they sowed. Who will trust a publisher promising refund of price difference AFTER the sales?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Pdox needs a competitor.
I think the primary culprit is that after years of being screwed over by publishers, Paradox decided to follow the old adage "if you can't beat them, join them" by becoming a publisher themselves, with their policies concerning their own games (and the quality of the games themselves) following suit. Paradox the publisher has become everything that was hated by Paradox the developer in the early to mid-2000s.

kris

Arcane
If we hadnt changed model, you'd have gotten far fewer expansions than now. EU4 would have stopped patching at 1.3, and Conquest of Paradise would be a 20$ expansion, including all 1.4 fixes and graphics.

Meanwhile EU2 got new patches for year after year. Something Johan did on his free time back then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom