Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Bethesda game?

DemonKing

Arcane
Dishonored probably. Doom 2016 was also good.

I've never been a big fan of the Elder Scrolls/nu-Fallout style games (but have played most).

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
maxresdefault.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Do you guys firm turds that force their way out like a sideways lump of sandstone? Or soft ones that slip out like a lubed up goldfish?

Jazz_

Arcane
Morrowind, just because the exploration was cool, the gameplay was kinda shit. Oblivion and Skyrim don't even have cool exploration as they are generic as hell and the gameplay is just as shit.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Idk, I've only played Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3, and I'm not all too excited about any of these.
I'd probably vote Morrowind and Oblivion, which were fun to play up to a certain point, but I didn't care to finish them.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Has anyone said Fallout 2? Depth, it's in the Codex top 70 or so, pretty good starting area, lots of meta humor - like you can actually talk to a radroach and teach it chess. The best part of Fallout 2 is that you can see where they kind of got the idea for Fallout 3 from - they took the best parts of Fallout 2 (mutants, ghouls, BoS, vertibirds, the Enclave (!) big ships, presidents, raiders, graffiti, machine guns, perks) some dashes of Fallout 1 (boring backstory, overseers, not much else). When people told me Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns, I didn't really think they could pull it off. But they did and the rest is (sales) history!

Weird that FO:NV went in a different direction, so it's hard to give Bethesda credit for that. Probably a difficult decision for them to make, but it was right of them in Fallout 4 to pretend FO:NV never happened. It just didn't fit in to what they created with Fallout 3 and 4.

Last edited:

hellbent

Augur
Oblivion was the worst RPG I ever finished.

Morrowind was a better RPG than Oblivion, and Skyrim was a better game that was fun to mod and dick around in without having to exercise your brain much.

Would say that this non-RPG game is probably my favorite Beth game, though:

zuf6wuX.jpg

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
this whole post

:hmmm:

Oblivion was the worst RPG I ever finished.

Morrowind was a better RPG than Oblivion, and Skyrim was a better game that was fun to mod and dick around in without having to exercise your brain much.

Oblivion is the perfect mix of Morrowind and Skyrim. So liking Skyrim over Oblivion is retarded 100% of the time regardless of reasoning.

Want stats like Morrowind? Oblivion's got em. Want shallow overworld like Skyrim? Check. Want best quests in the series? Check. Want slightly less shallow combat than Skyrim? Check. Want fast travel? Check. Want horses? Check. The list goes on.

The only reason people hate Oblivion is "muh potato faces", which is a graphics > gameplay argument and therefore fucking invalid, and "muh generic fantasy land" which is personal preference.

circ

Arcane
Great... quests? Quests like... follow potato face orc to kill an ogre?

Quests like become the arena champignon... at level 1? Well probably 2-3 because someone wanted you to find their heirloom in a vampire infested crypt on the other side of the map.

Quests like... fuck this.

You're full of shit. Prove me wrong.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Great... quests? Quests like... follow potato face orc to kill an ogre?

Quests like become the arena champignon... at level 1? Well probably 2-3 because someone wanted you to find their heirloom in a vampire infested crypt on the other side of the map.

Quests like... fuck this.

You're full of shit. Prove me wrong.

Is that the only thing you did in Oblivion?

Insane wood elf quest, dream quest, daedric quest with the fucked up tower, faggot orc who tricks you into participating in his people hunting game, dark brotherhood, thieves guild (this being the best out of the lot), that one quest for the fighters guild where you murder a whole village, bloated float quest where you wake up to the ship being seized.

Hold up let me catch my breath...

Magic paint brush quest, the entirety of the Shivering Isles expansion, that one daedric quest where you fulfill some retarded village prophecy with raining dogs on fire, the house party murder quest, and I'm sure there are some others but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Everything listed above is better than anything you'll find in Morrowind or Skyrim, but I'll concede that Morrowind had a much better main quest than both Oblivion and Skyrim.

Oh, and Hackdirt.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Daggerfall. Back then, after reading the manual and then playing that immense game, I thought the future of CRPG looked bright indeed. And that Bethesda was one of the lightbringers.

20 years later... Yeah, right.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom