Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Stokowski

Arcane
I bow out. Your ability to comprehend the things you read is outstripped only by your in-depth knowledge of the place where I am employed

Aw no, no more infinite piñata of Pollyana bullshit to beat?

You can't seriously claim that no-one has left since 2012 while naming people who have left.
You can't seriously claim that no-one has left since 2012 unless the company convinced every employee to take a 24% paycut during the 2016 financial year.
You can't seriously claim that all is happiness and sunshine when your own's company's official financial reports speak of significant doubts as to whether the business can survive as a going concern.

If you actually work in Funcom's management ... y'know, that would actually explain a lot: Nothing but bullshit.

Lhynn

Arcane
bylam dude, they really need to do something about the unfriendly mechanics in this game, they are so anti-fun its hilarious. I know you probably have 0 involvement on this and that this will have 0 impact, but hear me out here.

Dungeons are probably the biggest offenders.
Giving item exp after a boss feels about as unrewarding as getting a slap from your girlfriend after nursing her back to health for 5 days. I seriously dont know who thought this was a good idea but this shit is amateur hour, regardless of how useful the reward is (and it is useful).
Keys to open chests after a boss feels like having to buy your reward after you earned it, this is insane, i would fire the imbecile that came up with that in a heartbeat. A better idea would be to just give reroll coins, to allow you to gamble the reward from the chest into something else if you arent happy with it.
You guys should have just given people 10 free dungeon runs a week (which would certainly be better for casuals and people that play on weekends).

Catalysts to get yellow and red weapons should be available for MoFs, and so should the 150% speed boost. These are a natural part of endgame progression and dont belong in the cash shop.

This game needs a better explanation when it comes to itemization, especially about weapons. You should have made a quest entirely about this to frame it narratively in the world (the one thats there is shit), this would have saved you a lot of headeggs. The itemization itself is good, it just needs to be explained better.

Other than that, the combat is decent, the daily rewards are nice, daily challenges and their rewards is good, and the game itself is better than ever.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
bylam dude, they really need to do something about the unfriendly mechanics in this game, they are so anti-fun its hilarious. I know you probably have 0 involvement on this and that this will have 0 impact, but hear me out here.

Dungeons are probably the biggest offenders.
Giving item exp after a boss feels about as unrewarding as getting a slap from your girlfriend after nursing her back to health for 5 days. I seriously dont know who thought this was a good idea but this shit is amateur hour, regardless of how useful the reward is (and it is useful).
Keys to open chests after a boss feels like having to buy your reward after you earned it, this is insane, i would fire the imbecile that came up with that in a heartbeat. A better idea would be to just give reroll coins, to allow you to gamble the reward from the chest into something else if you arent happy with it.
You guys should have just given people 10 free dungeon runs a week (which would certainly be better for casuals and people that play on weekends).

Catalysts to get yellow and red weapons should be available for MoFs, and so should the 150% speed boost. These are a natural part of endgame progression and dont belong in the cash shop.

This game needs a better explanation when it comes to itemization, especially about weapons. You should have made a quest entirely about this to frame it narratively in the world (the one thats there is shit), this would have saved you a lot of headeggs. The itemization itself is good, it just needs to be explained better.

Other than that, the combat is decent, the daily rewards are nice, daily challenges and their rewards is good, and the game itself is better than ever.

I already see which routine they are aiming at. Log in. Collect your daily login reward. Do your daily challenges to reach your MoF cap. Run 1.5 (or 3 for patrons) dungeons to spend your daily keys. Log out. Want to play more? $$$. Yes, you too patrons.

Also the RNG on caches and dungeon keys seems pretty terrible from what I am reading. 99% of the time you receive distillates. Which has also been my experience up until now. Bosses are a lot less fun when every one of them gives you the same reward.

As it currently stands I will finish the story and stay very far away from the endgame progression.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Anyone at all surprised that funcom fucked it up?

I bet they are feeling really bad for not having enough money to port the game to consoles, the engine would make an Xbox or ps4 crawl.

such a clusterfuck of incestual rape... the secret world didn't deserve this.

and unbefuckinglievable, i spent the last 24 hours downloading it but it downloaded the old game instead.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Aenra
It just feels like a cashgrab when it shouldnt. If they gave you limited tries in instances but sold you extra entires, people would just buy the entries, especially to go on runs with guildies.
If you rewarded players with actual gear or unique usables it would feel a lot more rewarding. You shouldnt have them spend a limited currency, even if it is a free currency to get their reward. You can however have them spend a limited currency to go into an instance, because one is seen as an investment, the other is seen as being forced to pay for something you earned by defeating the boss.
Gadgets should be more interesting if you could only get them in dungeons for example, and if you made gadgets upgradable as any other item, then people would run dungeons and never feel cheated. And youd be giving them less than you are right now.

They give you only 25 spaces in the inventory, and boxes with items only stack up to 10. having such a limited inventory that is so hard to upgrade just makes the whole experience annoying. They could have given you 50 spaces and make the costs x5 higher and people would have a much better time with the game by not having to waste time with the inventory and youd still get more sales from hoarders.

You dont want your players to feel so annoyed by your game that they need to spend money, you want them to have so much fun that they think of spending money in your game as an investment. A player that feels bad playing a game will just quit, a player that feels better for paying in a game they are already enjoying will spend that much more next time.

You want the people that cant spend a dime to play your game, because people are content, and they keep the ones that do spend money happy. be it as friends, rivals or merely randoms. The more people there is, the more valuable what you have becomes.

This is the reason a lot of f2p games feature scoreboards, to make pve competitive, so that people will be tempted to spend a few bucks, just to make it into them.

There are tons of tricks to make your players want to spend money on your game, instead of feeling the need to spend money.
Not being able to trade is seriously annoying, but its an understandable feature, BDO uses the same because it understands that trading only favors those willing to grind. This way you also avoid putting level requeriments on items. It shouldnt exist even between patrons. Special rules for some only makes most feel like second class citizens.

People bringing up TOR when talking about your f2p system is not good, these are the guys that made people pay money to hide their helmets, sprint and buy extra skill bars. Your system isnt nearly as unfair (its actually pretty fair, with being able to buy aurum with MoF), but it manages to come off as if it were.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
and unbefuckinglievable, i spent the last 24 hours downloading it but it downloaded the old game instead.
Because you are an idiot. Don't blame the game if you can't find a simple download link.

such a clusterfuck of incestual rape... the secret world didn't deserve this.

The secret world legends has its own page and launcher.
Links on Steam page still lead to installing the old game tho.
It had been said by the devs that Legends is not on Steam yet. And the page says The Secret World, not Secret World Legends.

A horse of course

Why are you so easily butthurt, J_C? Is it because nobody talks about your boring show anymore? What happened to "J_C the Wise"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom