Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The problem is that, like in Skyrim, 90% of the directions you get are guiding you nowhere. A select few are clear (bridge to Oxenfurt, Triss' house at the market place), but most are not.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I play without a minimap so I don't stare at it 95% of the time, however I would appreciate a compas or if i could just flash the map without going into the menu like you can in arma. Anyway, is there a mod that adds just the compass in the game? Not a quest compass, I just wanna be able to tell where north is without having the minimap turned on.
When I played I used a mod that made minimap and quest info disappear, and only appear when using Witcher sense. Worked perfectly. Got it on nexus (iirc immersive hud with tweak or something)

veskoandroid

Educated
Friendly hud mod has compass on off option. Its compatible with ghost mod, while immersive hud(has many useful addons) unfortunately isnt.

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

odrzut

Arcane
When traveling, it's easier (and mostly mandatory because no real directions are given) to follow the dotted line

Bullshit I always have problems with directions (in game and in real world), yet I played with undiscovered location signs and dotted path disabled and had no problems whatsoever. The direction arrow was enough. Unfortunately I don't think you can play without that arrow easily, because directions aren't good enough half of the time.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand why anyone would keep the breadcrumb trail enabled. The whole idea is revolting.

Turning the entire minimap off unfortunately has a couple of downsides. The game's very much designed around it, especially in places like Novigrad that is filled with flavor NPCs. The minimap is the only real way of telling which ones of the dozens of "merchants" actually have stuff to sell, or which random NPCs on the streets are actually related to a quest and which ones are shouting obscenities at you just for show. A few of the horse races can get rough since the race track is only properly displayed on the minimap, and some quests (especially the witcher sense stuff where you're bombarded with dozens of objecives that only take like three seconds each) are clearly designed with the minimap and quest info in mind. Having actual written (and voice-acted) directions probably would've been too much to ask for, but I think a decent compromise could've been achieved with a TW1-style map system, where important quest locations get marked on your map and quest compass is disabled as default. The quest NPCs don't even move around unless the plot dictates it, meaning that a static map marker would've been pretty much always enough. With a quest compass it's easy to stop paying attention the gameworld altogether, turn your brain off and just take a beeline towards wherever the arrow points at any given time, whereas using a map to navigate at least encourages you to pay some attention to your surroundings.

As it is, the most sensible choice (when playing vanilla) is to keep the minimap on but only look at it when you feel like you really need to.

Deleted member 7219

Breadcrumb was introduced in the Fable games, Fable 2 and 3 specifically. Peter Molyneux is a full retard and that was one of his most retarded ideas. I didn't know The Witcher 3 had it - but the first thing I do when starting a new game, any new game, is to go into options and turn off helpers and things like that. Maybe that's how I missed it.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
But as you said, they dropped the ball on quest marks - I think only once, when you enter Novigrad and search for Triss, someone gives you legit directions.
The game gives you accurate directions in a natural way when going to Keira for the first time.

Falksi

Arcane
You can't play with the minimap off for more than a small percentage of the time sadly. It kills exploration, and that's why I don't get all the buzz fir this game & it's open world.
Being brutally honest its a very good story driven game, with some interesting side quests, spread WAY too thin, with too much busy work in there, and too many "meh" quests in there too.
The whole game should have been trimmed by at least a 3rd, or had exploration properly set up (with things ACTUALLY worth exploring for in there too).
At it's core, it's a sandbox game more than it is an RPG. There's also often very little choice which affects anything, and the dialogue tree options don't go anywhere, they just make for longer cut scenes.
Think it's quite dangerous to the future of RPGs that this is hailed as the standard to meet. Much like when Skyrim was praised, all it did was brainwash folk into thinking size=depth.

veskoandroid

Educated
You can't play with the minimap off for more than a small percentage of the time sadly. It kills exploration, and that's why I don't get all the buzz fir this game & it's open world.
Being brutally honest its a very good story driven game, with some interesting side quests, spread WAY too thin, with too much busy work in there, and too many "meh" quests in there too.
The whole game should have been trimmed by at least a 3rd, or had exploration properly set up (with things ACTUALLY worth exploring for in there too).
At it's core, it's a sandbox game more than it is an RPG. There's also often very little choice which affects anything, and the dialogue tree options don't go anywhere, they just make for longer cut scenes.
Unfortunately i agree. Compared to w2, its less cohesive. Very diluted landscape and regions, very rare meaningful loot. I was really amazed and shocked most main/sub/witcher quests were in w2, and most importantly personal. As ppl already mentioned its mmo like. A LOT of time is spent running places, fast traveling... Even with horse! and practicaly i very rarely use horse, its cumbersome i love running through landscapes, enjoying river color and everything else as well. Boats not helping. Just a pretty useless things added. Same as horses, enjoy swimming/diving, wtf do i need a boat?

Gues they tried different approach for w3, different concept and they really deserve all thanks, kudos, and support for that.

Just thinking of all the things they did, mustve taken enormous work and effort.

Just now tried using those green markers (pin place to go on main map) instead of minimap and its better actually thanks to previous posters for that. Can really immerse more to environment.

Also there are few mods that remove witcher senses darkness and zoom in, so theres practicaly no difference, you only see lootable stuff and enemies bubbles, great mods like this make life easier. Iirc there was even mod with option to enable jumping during w sense, but its incompatible w my current mod setup so bummer.

Edit: Oh yeah and those shopping dialogs are really driving me crazy! Hello blablabla shopping options, goodbye blablabla. Every single time! Just fucking by and leave! Argh

Combat: really great, challenging, enjoyable. But this game really is made for controller or gaming mouse w plenty buttons for configuration. Basic keyboard setup is just not practical for combat, at least for me.
Different monsters require different tactics, humans are separate class in fighting. Game makes u use signs and fast/heavy attacks both, which is a good thing. Though i only use igni, started to use aard recently. Axii is good for humans sometimes. Never got into quen for protection. Prefer burning, stunning or freezing effects over defensive passive approach.

Oh and for those on ghost mod(dont know bout vanilla system) dont worry bout stammina for signs, can just use adrenaline instead, works great. Just use adrenaline skills, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Unfortunately i agree. Compared to w2, its less cohesive. Very diluted landscape and regions, very rare meaningful loot. I was really amazed and shocked most main/sub/witcher quests were in w2, and most importantly personal. As ppl already mentioned its mmo like. A LOT of time is spent running places, fast traveling... Even with horse! and practicaly i very rarely use horse, its cumbersome i love running through landscapes, enjoying river color and everything else as well. Boats not helping. Just a pretty useless things added. Same as horses, enjoy swimming/diving, wtf do i need a boat?

Gues they tried different approach for w3, different concept and they really deserve all thanks, kudos, and support for that.

Just thinking of all the things they did, mustve taken enormous work and effort.

Just now tried using those green markers (pin place to go on main map) instead of minimap and its better actually thanks to previous posters for that. Can really immerse more to environment.

Also there are few mods that remove witcher senses darkness and zoom in, so theres practicaly no difference, you only see lootable stuff and enemies bubbles, great mods like this make life easier. Iirc there was even mod with option to enable jumping during w sense, but its incompatible w my current mod setup so bummer.

Edit: Oh yeah and those shopping dialogs are really driving me crazy! Hello blablabla shopping options, goodbye blablabla. Every single time! Just fucking by and leave! Argh

Combat: really great, challenging, enjoyable. But this game really is made for controller or gaming mouse w plenty buttons for configuration. Basic keyboard setup is just not practical for combat, at least for me.
Different monsters require different tactics, humans are separate class in fighting. Game makes u use signs and fast/heavy attacks both, which is a good thing. Though i only use igni, started to use aard recently. Axii is good for humans sometimes. Never got into quen for protection. Prefer burning, stunning or freezing effects over defensive passive approach.

Oh and for those on ghost mod(dont know bout vanilla system) dont worry bout stammina for signs, can just use adrenaline instead, works great. Just use adrenaline skills, you'll be fine.

Spot on chap. IIt's not bad at all, I'm just surprised how much it's adored when in reality it's actually. Aquite boring.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Breadcrumb was introduced in the Fable games, Fable 2 and 3 specifically. Peter Molyneux is a full retard and that was one of his most retarded ideas. I didn't know The Witcher 3 had it - but the first thing I do when starting a new game, any new game, is to go into options and turn off helpers and things like that. Maybe that's how I missed it.
I'm sure breadcrumb trails have been around longer, but Fable 2 & 3 have some of the most insulting examples. Their breadcrumb trail wasn't confined to a mini-map, but appeared in the world by taking the form of a shiny golden trail. On top of that it didn't even work properly and led players around in circles.

Falksi

Arcane
So to add to the list of things which are annoying me about TW3, I really don't think the exploration aspect fits well in a world which is already very much mapped out, known & quantified.
There's absolutely fuck all mystery, and it rarely feels like I'm discovering some hidden, lost area or item.
It feels as if the world is actually very modern with how much us known about it, and how easy it is to travel & communicate.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
You can't play with the minimap off for more than a small percentage of the time sadly. It kills exploration

Playing without a minimap kills your exploration? Wow, I don't say this often, but you are now a confirmed retard.

I've explored more in this game than anywhere else. Walk around, listen to what people say, pay attention to noises around you. It's one of the most interesting game worlds I've encountered.

TC Jr

Scholar
So to add to the list of things which are annoying me about TW3, I really don't think the exploration aspect fits well in a world which is already very much mapped out, known & quantified.
There's absolutely fuck all mystery, and it rarely feels like I'm discovering some hidden, lost area or item.
It feels as if the world is actually very modern with how much us known about it, and how easy it is to travel & communicate.
Yeah it seems to me that's a massive fundamental problem with a lot of open world games that people don't seem to notice/care about.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
WTF are you talking about, there are tons of abandoned ruins all over the place. pick a place without many settlements there and there will be an elven ruin, or an abandoned castle. Some of the will have backstory, some of them won't. they're just there.

This thread has too much retard for me, it's triggering me
:flamesaw::negative::shitandpiss::butthurt:

Falksi

Arcane
WTF are you talking about, there are tons of abandoned ruins all over the place. pick a place without many settlements there and there will be an elven ruin, or an abandoned castle. Some of the will have backstory, some of them won't. they're just there.

It doesn't matter, the world feels like it's all very well known, very easy to navigate, and more early 1900's than medieval.
There may be those things there, but you rarely find anything unique in them, and you can pop from here to there in 2 seconds with fast travel, making the whole thing feel very modern. Throw in how much is known about the world, and again it kills a lot if the mystery. Christ the 1980's had more political uncertainty and myth with the everyman than this game does.
As TC Jr says above, a lot of open world games suffer from it, but unfortunately it's still here.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Can you build an actual criticism, or are you just vomiting on your keyboard?

What the fuck does "easy to navigate" mean? as opposed to what?
What does "well known" mean, again as opposed to what?
You want meaningful exploration, but not in an open world game? How the hell does that even work?
What political uncertainty do you want?

But most incredible here is that you think Twitcher 2 did any of that better?

veskoandroid

Educated

Hahaha chill man, were all entitled to opinions and personal experiences. Actually since were on the subject i was thinking on equipment distribution and just realized that in previous witcher i could occasionally find awesome swords & armors in caves and rarely bought eq in shops. It made exploring rewarding & motivating. Here i can buy recipe for great swords & armors, meaning my exploration turns into earning xp and collecting loot to sell for crafting those recipes. Dont like it honestly.
Im still in velen though, but dont think it will change.
And there definitely arent many castles and elven ruins everywhere, but again still in velen, which is just a woodswamp mess.
It doesn't matter, the world feels like it's all very well known, very easy to navigate, and more early 1900's than medieval.
There may be those things there, but you rarely find anything unique in them, and you can pop from here to there in 2 seconds with fast travel, making the whole thing feel very modern. Throw in how much is known about the world, and again it kills a lot if the mystery. Christ the 1980's had more political uncertainty and myth with the everyman than this game does.
As TC Jr says above, a lot of open world games suffer from it, but unfortunately it's still here.
Agree, they probably had to put fast travel bc of so much land to travel. Yes they couldve just decreased quantity and increase quality of quests, but they did it how they did and that's it. Though there is a random encounters mod that increases enemy encounters so at least that makes the tour de witcher land not so barren.

Unrelated: this is the most beautiful game ive ever played. Walking now outside, looking at clear blue sky and white clouds. Remembered witcher 3. Never had that. Using hd reworked project, ureal optional mod and e3fx classic shader btw.

Falksi

Arcane

You want meaningful exploration, but not in an open world game? How the hell does that even work?

Easy to navigate meaning the world is already very much known, holds very few surprises, and you can move around it like a modern day world - very easily.
My point is that it's an odd decision to make such a game, story driven & set in an environment with very little mystery, an open world game in the first place. The open world elements don't add anything. There's no real mystery to anything, few surprises and little of value to find.
The Witcher 2 was just a much more enjoyable experience for me. It's tighter nature suited this type of setup better, and there were far less meaningless gaps between quests. The deeper I dug the more I unearthed. With TW3 most things I discover make little difference to anything.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Hahaha chill man, were all entitled to opinions and personal experiences. Actually since were on the subject i was thinking on equipment distribution and just realized that in previous witcher i could occasionally find awesome swords & armors in caves and rarely bought eq in shops. It made exploring rewarding & motivating. Here i can buy recipe for great swords & armors, meaning my exploration turns into earning xp and collecting loot to sell for crafting those recipes. Dont like it honestly.
Im still in velen though, but dont think it will change.
And there definitely arent many castles and elven ruins everywhere, but again still in velen, which is just a woodswamp mess.

Agree, they probably had to put fast travel bc of so much land to travel. Yes they couldve just decreased quantity and increase quality of quests, but they did it how they did and that's it. Though there is a random encounters mod that increases enemy encounters so at least that makes the tour de witcher land not so barren.

Unrelated: this is the most beautiful game ive ever played. Walking now outside, looking at clear blue sky and white clouds. Remembered witcher 3. Never had that. Using hd reworked project, ureal optional mod and e3fx classic shader btw.

Yup. That decrease in quantity and increase in quality would be the way to go if they ever did a sequel Imo.
You're dead right about the graphics though, simply stunning at times.

veskoandroid

Educated

Yes w2 did story better. Ill repeat, so many quests were connected to other, many characters were in/directly involved in 2-3 quests, it was so easy to remember who/what/where/why and to connect with the story. Here its white orchard then i cleared 1 starting area of velen, and that took friggin forever, then, got to main quest bloody baron and ciri story. Couldve done that first but wouldn't change much. Disclaimer im not shitting on anything in the game, but some things in w2 were better simply. It was more compact, story & quest immersion wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom