Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights is 15 years old!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm terribly amused that Lillura would remember specific posts a particular poster made in one particular megathread over two years later even though none were addressed to or about her. That's massive fangirling.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm terribly amused that Lillura would remember specific posts a particular poster made in one particular megathread over two years later even though none were addressed to or about her. That's massive fangirling.

My posts are on the page before; Grunker and I re. the radial menu. But how is it fangirling, anyway? It doesn't approach the forensics of you and Infinie.

Delterius

Arcane
Oh, you must have been referring to the frog in your pocket.
Why are you so self-centered, Lilura? Maybe I was talking about you, in particular. Or perhaps I was making a humorous pivot to one of the other posters who were also roleplaying the NwN Defense Jihadi Squad with you. Possibly even the joke was actually directed at any of the other posters in this same thread. Did you feel like the shoe fit?

I've criticized the OC at length on my blog.

Congratulations, so has everyone else. Its a boring, trash combat infested corridor of a game where the combat engine isn't even very good. Everyone was disappointed with it at release.

The game survived the OC to become, perhaps, the most prolific 'world edit' in CRPGs. And I think the reason is more than simply the ease of use of the editor. Single player modules were made that focused moreso on adventure and dialogue related mechanics the likes you saw at the expansions. PWs were created which focused on the same mechanics and multiplayer combat. I do not deny that both of these scenarios have value. On the contrary.

Nonetheless, in between there's a niche where I consider NwN to be inadequate, which is single player combat. Enough people seem satisfied with mostly controlling a single character + henchmen. But even Dragon Age: Inquisition has a better UI for full party member control and both games are balanced for just fiddling with the PC. If you're okay with it, then its fine. But I'm not. It is not a coincidence I think that the most remembered modules for NwN both here and elsewhere, like a Dance with Rogues, aren't for combatfags.

As Lhynn said, the game is perfect for what it set out to be. A digital medium for sharing D&D related stories and sessions. It is to be expected that it wouldn't excel at every single facet of that experience. You may think it did to the point of scanning years old threads in search for all dissenting commentary, but that's just you.

Why are you such a dickhead, btw?
As I said: welcome to the RPG Codex, sweet Volourna.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My posts are on the page before; Grunker and I re. the radial menu. But how is it fangirling, anyway? It doesn't approach the forensics of you and Infinie.

As far as I can tell, you were the one to bring up those posts he made in 2015 from the Sword Coast Legends thread. It's an odd tangent. And apparently it made you mad enough to remember them, because in most circumstances I don't believe anyone would remember posts from a 100 page megathread years later.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
As far as I can tell, you were the one to bring up those posts he made in 2015 from the Sword Coast Legends thread. It's an odd tangent. And apparently it made you mad enough to remember them, because in most circumstances I don't believe anyone would remember posts from a 100 page megathread years later.

As an expert commentator for Infinity, Aurora and Electron, I remember most opinions posted about them. Why is that suddenly unusual to someone as forensic as you?

Now this is just getting sad.

So you have nothing. Run along, then.

Delterius

Arcane

As an expert commentator for Infinity, Aurora and Electron, I remember most opinions posted about them. Why is that suddenly unusual to someone as forensic as you?
Are you saying these games are your Lesifoere? God almighty, I dub you Sensuki II the Gatekeeper and Expert Commentator for all things Infinity, Aurora and Electron.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
A self-hating Chink who thinks she's really Australian and can judge other people's English skills.

But eh, what else is new?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Seems like something a fangirl would do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean I wouldn't object if someone called me a fan of Josh Sawyer.

Lhynn

Arcane
combat with some classes like pure fighter or paladin is extremely boring and comes down to watching animated die rolls.

So let's take a low lvl duel in BG/NWN, figher vs. fighter.

What can low lvl BG fighters do?
They walk in and attack.

What can low lvl NWN fighters do?
They can adapt their AC or to-hit/dmg with Combat Expertise and Power Attack. They can attempt a disarm or knockdown.

Which one is less boring?
The difference is that in BG the fighter isnt alone, party composition matters.
In NWN disarm and aimed strike were kind of useless, fun little skills but really bad for most things. And knockdown was mandatory. The depth in fighters was in character building, not in gameplay, you could get some really stupid damage if you did it well.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The difference is that in BG the fighter isnt alone, party composition matters.

You can have a party in NWN; more than six, too. Dozens.

In NWN disarm and aimed strike were kind of useless, fun little skills but really bad for most things.

Disarm can be encounter-changing.

And knockdown was mandatory.

Get some sneak attack in while they're down, too.

The depth in fighters was in character building, not in gameplay, you could get some really stupid damage if you did it well.

Point is, NWN fighter game-play is deeper than BG fighter game-play. In fact, deeper across all classes. Rogues are amazing, and arcane casters have access to metamagic and other tactical feats and skills. NWN is great for duels of any kind. And only wusses don't enter into duels whenever they can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom