Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights is 15 years old!

Delterius

Arcane
Thankfully most modules seem to minimize the shitty combat engine, so NwN can truly shine.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
combat with some classes like pure fighter or paladin is extremely boring and comes down to watching animated die rolls.

So let's take a low lvl duel in BG/NWN, figher vs. fighter.

What can low lvl BG fighters do?
They walk in and attack.

What can low lvl NWN fighters do?
They can adapt their AC or to-hit/dmg with Combat Expertise and Power Attack. They can attempt a disarm or knockdown.

Which one is less boring?

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
combat with some classes like pure fighter or paladin is extremely boring and comes down to watching animated die rolls.

They walk in and attack.

They can adapt their AC or to-hit/dmg with Combat Expertise and Power Attack. They can attempt a disarm or knockdown.

Not to mention paladins get to lay on hands, smite evil etc. Hell, barbarians are more automated than regular fighters.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The adaptation from pnp to the games environment is flawless

It's pretty amazing how eerily similar to PnP/tabletop NWN can be just in a well made SP module/campaign, without taking into account DM'd multi-player modules and Persistent Worlds.

The ignorance in this thread is rampant because most people here only play one aspect of the game, and dont understand what playing all the modes of nwn bring to the table.

The OC, yeah. Which when played in multi-player and DM'd, probably wouldn't be all that bad. Considering DMs can possess monsters and modify encounters/loot on the fly. And considering the party can split up and explore different districts at the same time, thereby removing some of the tedium from Act 1.

Some of it's ignorance, but I think large parts of the Codex jerk circle shit on NWN because they can't admit how innately superior it is to what's commonly spruiked here, and what they've wasted their time playing for the last 15 years; so some of it's obstinacy and butthurt. The Codex as a site has never been known to understand or appreciate NWN. Easier to just keep shitting on it now; it's called momentum. To be fair, it's not just the Codex that is ignorant of NWN, but also the mainstream RPG community in general. The barrier to entry is one reason why I created my blog: to show that it's mostly illusory and even a Codexer can get past the OC and into reactive role-playing that can compete with anything else they've played.

Metatron

Augur

They walk in and attack.

NWN had the D&D ruleset with more options for fighter types, it was all a bit basic in AD&D 2nd edition.
BG is all about party gameplay though (and yes, it's usually the casters you're micromanaging), so complaining about your warrior not being able to do a lot of stuff except standing there, attacking and taking the blows is a moot point. Unless you're a masochist and you do a solo warrior gamplay you'll never be in a situation where this is the only thing happening on your screen.

hell bovine

Arcane

They walk in and attack.

NWN had the D&D ruleset with more options for fighter types, it was all a bit basic in AD&D 2nd edition.
BG is all about party gameplay though (and yes, it's usually the casters you're micromanaging), so complaining about your warrior not being able to do a lot of stuff except standing there, attacking and taking the blows is a moot point. Unless you're a masochist and you do a solo warrior gamplay you'll never be in a situation where this is the only thing happening on your screen.
How is that a moot point? Micromanaging mages doesn't make up for fighters being boring auto-attack bots. Party-play is about the interactions between the skills & spells of all your characters in battle. Might as well play a mage with a bunch of summons otherwise.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
NWN is about party play, too. You can have dozens of players (not just six max) in a single module. And those who play fighters can actually do things other than just auto-attack.

And thanks. As a blogger of both games I didn't know NWN employed a ruleset that gave fighters more options. Welcome to the ignore list, you insolent lout.

Metatron

Augur
But that wasn't how it was played in the official campaigns and that's how most people will remember it.

And glad I'm apparently becoming part of your ignore list just because I comfirmed that NWN indeed does have more options for fighters! Does this bullying people into liking NWN as much as you tactic ever work? For someone who is running a blog about NWN you're not very good at selling it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There isn't any excuse to play the OC anymore, let alone base your entire opinion on NWN on it, even if you've just heard of NWN, literally everywhere where you can buy it (except retail, but who buys retail anymore?) has at least one comment which says to skip the OC. Even SoU and HotU are vastly superior. The OC is OBVIOUSLY badly designed if you've played even one proper RPG before, so just don't play it. It feels like people are purposefully ignoring everything else about NWN just to be spiteful.

Delterius

Arcane
More like seeing the obvious. That people play PWs and modules for their adventure/CYOA aspects and made do with a less than perfect combat engine. But no, of course, NwNs is actually perfect and everything about it is the pinnacle of RPG development.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There isn't any excuse to play the OC anymore,

Disagree. The OC is DMable and can be played in multi-player which reduces many of its tedious segments. In fact, you can see that the OC design is geared towards MP through its dungeon/encounter design and itemization. (Btw, OC has some good segments.)

let alone base your entire opinion on NWN on it, even if you've just heard of NWN, literally everywhere where you can buy it (except retail, but who buys retail anymore?) has at least one comment which says to skip the OC.

NWN had a multi-faceted marketing campaign. Much of it emphasized MP, DMing and toolset.

It feels like people are purposefully ignoring everything else about NWN just to be spiteful.

It's unbridled butthurt that stems from having shat on the game for so long that you could never admit how wrong you were, because you'd lose face. In the meantime, missing out on one of the best cRPGs ever to play the Codex's latest turd spruiked (or a shitty blobber from the late 80s).

Metatron

Augur
There isn't any excuse to play the OC anymore, let alone base your entire opinion on NWN on it, even if you've just heard of NWN, literally everywhere where you can buy it (except retail, but who buys retail anymore?) has at least one comment which says to skip the OC. Even SoU and HotU are vastly superior. The OC is OBVIOUSLY badly designed if you've played even one proper RPG before, so just don't play it. It feels like people are purposefully ignoring everything else about NWN just to be spiteful.

Sure this makes sense if you're 16 years old and just getting into rpgs and you've never played NWN1 before. Many of us actually bought this thing when it was released 15 years ago though and back then it was a pretty big disappointment. You can hardly blame people to partially base their opinions on the thing that was actually in the box when they bought it back then and not on modules that were available 5 years down the line (because it actually took a while and more options delivered in the NWN1 expansions for some decent mods to get on the market as well). Completely ignoring this is pretty much the same reasoning as Oblivion apologists and their "modders have fixed it" approach. Thankfully by the time they got to HOTU Bioware themselves realised this since the campaign in that expansion is indeed a lot better than the OC one.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
NwN fanboys are truly the worst.

You're a dickhead, but the biggest dickhead on the 'Dex is Grunker:

as I have iterated many times in this thread, I very much lament the fact that it seems we have gotten a slew of posters who consider anything connected with NWN 'good'.
NWN stood on so many legs it couldn't walk.
Also stop it with this fucking "might be NWN" shit. 1) NWN sucked
even with mods I never got much enjoyment out of NWN.

Delterius

Arcane
There are aspects in which NwN is not God's gift to humankind.

There are aspects of your English, and of your thinking, that borders on the level of retardation.
There's no need to make such an effort. Arrangements can be made if you also require a Fanboy tag. Now, say it with me:

'Neverwinter Nights is the single most perfect piece of media ever divined by mortals. None may criticize it in the presence of my blogging self.'

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Horrible, I know. Welcome to the RPG Codex, don't forget to ask for your very own Safe Space tag.

Why did you bother editing your post to add that?

There's no need to make such an effort. Arrangements can be made if you also require a Fanboy tag. Now, say it with me:

'Neverwinter Nights is the single most perfect piece of media ever divined by mortals. None may criticize it in the presence of my blogging self.'

Do you think this is witty?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was mostly talking about single player OC. Most people on the 'Dex don't have friends to play with, so multiplayer is out of the question anyway.

Delterius

Arcane
Why did you bother editing your post to add that?

Would you prefer a double post?

Do you think this is witty?

I believe it is descriptive. I have praised a game while at the same time considering some of its technical aspects to be subpar. If you think calling people names for that sort of opinion is not a display of absolute fanboyism, why, there's no such thing in the world.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Would you prefer a double post?

Why are you welcoming me to the 'Dex?

I believe it is descriptive. I have praised a game while at the same time considering some of its technical aspects to be subpar. If you think calling people names for that sort of opinion is not a display of absolute fanboyism, why, there's no such thing in the world.

I called you a dickhead for calling me a fanboy. You have it backwards, as usual. Scroll up, dickhead.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I asserted that fanboys are the worst. Do you consider yourself a fanboy?

Oh, you must have been referring to the frog in your pocket.

I've criticized the OC at length on my blog. Why are you such a dickhead, btw? And why is your English so... 2nd, when mine isn't?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom