Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
As far as we know it now, everything, every future content is free. Only cosmetic stuff and boosters like bigger inventory cost some money.
There won't be any future content, just re-release of existing content of the original game.

People are still falling for the ridiculous notion that funcom will ever continue the story, they have been waiting for years and countless delays.
They will stitch something up from the unfinished playfield that was in the works since I don't remember when.

And don't underestimate the power of recycling. Age of Conan got 2 raid tiers from recycled content :D

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As far as we know it now, everything, every future content is free. Only cosmetic stuff and boosters like bigger inventory cost some money.
There won't be any future content, just re-release of existing content of the original game.

People are still falling for the ridiculous notion that funcom will ever continue the story, they have been waiting for years and countless delays.
What the fuck are you smoking? They have released 15 add-ons so far. Sure, the last one was a year ago, but do you really think they will relaunch the game and don't start working on it?

Bigg Boss

Arcane

What the fuck are you smoking?

He's high on the Holy Spirit.

Stokowski

Arcane
They have released 15 add-ons so far. Sure, the last one was a year ago, but do you really think they will relaunch the game and don't start working on it?

Who will work on it? All the creatives they've fired over the past couple of years in a desperate attempt to break even?

Funcom is a company in maintenance mode; their product development is stalled. Hence the lazy recycling of assets in the over-priced not-a-game "The Park", and the clearly premature release of a Conan sandbox in the vain hope that modders would provide actual content for it.

You shouldn't expect anything truly new for Legends but the most perfunctory codas. The biggest effort will go into making cash shop vanity items.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
They have released 15 add-ons so far. Sure, the last one was a year ago, but do you really think they will relaunch the game and don't start working on it?

Who will work on it? All the creatives they've fired over the past couple of years in a desperate attempt to break even?

Oh, who? Tørnquist left in 2012... Scriv quit last year because he got offered a truckload of money to work from home for someone else. Not sure who else on the creative side has left.

You shouldn't expect anything truly new for Legends but the most perfunctory codas. The biggest effort will go into making cash shop vanity items.

I mean, Stokowski clearly has an inside line to Funcom, but seeing I *wrote* the story for Season 2 of The Secret World and Romain (current game director) and I were going through it and discussing it as recently as yesterday...

I don't work on The Secret World any longer (it's at the US office, as opposed to the Oslo office where we keep churning out those recycled asset games apparently), but let's just pretend we can use some logic and assume that the plan is something like this.

If SWL does well enough to keep the team on it employed, they will work on new content.
If it does very poorly, that team will likely lose their jobs over time.

The whole setup of the new free to play system means that the more content that the game has, the more money they will make (assuming people will pay for stuff in game, which seems likely).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What the fuck are you smoking? They have released 15 add-ons so far. Sure, the last one was a year ago, but do you really think they will relaunch the game and don't start working on it?

As the Funcom developer pointed out above... there are no plans for new content unless the game does well, and all the "updates" that Funcom has planned are just the addons that they released years ago for the original game. See, thats easy to do, sum it all up.

Secret World has been on life support in terms of content for a long time now, if F2P doesnt pan out, then the game is done.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
if F2P doesnt pan out, then the game is done.
Thank you captain obvious, I thought they will maintain the game for another 5 years when it doesn't make any money. As the developer pointed out, it will have new content if the game does well. If it doesn't? People can play the hundreds of hours content the game has now, and then move on to another game. Or do you plan to play this game for 20 years?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
if F2P doesnt pan out, then the game is done.
Thank you captain obvious, I thought they will maintain the game for another 5 years when it doesn't make any money. As the developer pointed out, it will have new content if the game does well. If it doesn't? People can play the hundreds of hours content the game has now, and then move on to another game. Or do you plan to play this game for 20 years?
Also, creating new content is one of they ways for the game to do well.

So if they want the game to do well in the long term, they must create new content for players to enjoy when they reach the current end of content, otherwise they will just drop, and in a mtx driven game that is a death sentence.

Look at a game like Path of Exile. Its free to play with cosmetic microtransactions, and they push great content on a very regular basis, because they know they need to constantly give something to the players to keep them in game and buying shit.

So unless someone suggests that Funcome is in it for a quick cashgrab, then creating some new content is the reasonable way for them to go.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Do you really think there will be an influx of new players to such a niche game as this?

What will make them money, will be the existing player base and their will to stay loyal to a game whose developers have been consistently late in their promises for extra content. Will those players stick around if there isn't a road plan for new content? Not so sure, playing the same stuff all over again with added gating is not very fun.

Last edited:

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having a good time so far but balancing is way off. So called 'champion bosses' die in two hits.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Do you really think there will be an influx of new players to such a niche game as this?

What will make them money, will be the existing player base and their will to stay loyal to a game whose developers have been consistently late in their promises for extra content. Will those players stick around if there isn't a road plan for new content? Not so sure, playing the same stuff all over again with added gating is not very fun.
You know what? I don't know. Nobody knows how many players will try the game. And we also don't know what kind of content will the game get. But stating that the game WON'T get content is bullshit. We will see it in a few months.

And to be honest, I don't really care. As I said, the game has enough content for me (allow me to be selfish here), I couldn't finish all of it in a year. But when I finish it, I will uninstall the game and play something else.

Cromwell

Arcane
You also should point out that in its niche its the only game. Its the only game I always come back to when theres new content to play because its the only game that provides such content. Even if the quality may have dropped ( I dont want to judge here) its still one of the best writing and setting wise(if you like such a setting ofc). I cant even switch to a singleplayer game since there are almost none out there that go for that setting aside from walking simulators maybe. Also, they were free to play already I dont see why they would have tried the relaunch to get that sweet microtransaction money since that was already the only thing they were getting.

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
Is just me or did they cut some missions ?

I thought Moose (the biker outside the police station) had a mission he gave before.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Is just me or did they cut some missions ?

I thought Moose (the biker outside the police station) had a mission he gave before.
Some missions unlock with higher level - f.e. you get a mission from Moose at level 50 to get the Frankenchopper. Maybe this is the case? Found this while looking for my bike in the pet/sprint menu...

bylam

Funcom
Developer
bylam , I don't understand why you take such an argumentative tone, when everything you say just proves my points.

I was more going for logical than argumentative. You still didn't answer the question about all those creatives we lost...

As the Funcom developer pointed out above... there are no plans for new content unless the game does well, and all the "updates" that Funcom has planned are just the addons that they released years ago for the original game. See, thats easy to do, sum it all up.

Or you know, well enough to keep the people working on it employed, which is actually what I wrote. I also mentioned that there are new plans because I was going through them with the game director on Friday.

Not sure why you would misrepresent what was written unless you have some sort of agenda...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I was more going for logical than argumentative. You still didn't answer the question about all those creatives we lost...

Or you know, well enough to keep the people working on it employed, which is actually what I wrote. I also mentioned that there are new plans because I was going through them with the game director on Friday.

Not sure why you would misrepresent what was written unless you have some sort of agenda...

Funcom has had "new plans" for years, the result was turning the game into a f2p mmorpg...

The last issue released, last year, was simply a repackage of all the side stories already released plus a few extra bit, not nearly enough to make up for the lack of regular updates. A couple of months later they announce that season 2 and 3 were already written.

So where are those plans?

Last edited:

Stokowski

Arcane

There's no misrepresentation on anyone's part but your own. I swear, if someone claimed the sky was blue you'd staunchly deny it while lecturing them about the Rayleigh scattering effect.

And while I don't see any "agenda" from Kem0sabe's other than representing reality, you know that clearly I'm motivated merely by years-long bitterness that Funcom shitcanned their magnum opus that I loved so much.

:pete:

EDIT: Sorry, I don't have all the names of fired staff, but do you think the few you mentioned accounted for all of Funcom's US$1.8million retrenchment in salaries and wages?

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Funcom has had "new plans" for years, the result was turning the game into a f2p mmorpg...

The last issue released, last year, was simply a repackage of all the side stories already released plus a few extra bit, not nearly enough to make up for the lack of regular updates. A couple of months later they announce that season 2 and 3 were already written.

So where are those plans?
They will probably copy ESO , it was content starved too before becoming free to play now there's a lot more players , and they just released the morrowind expansion. Its filled with cosmetics items , the list is just too long, even decorating your house means a swing of credit card for each items, yet nothing of that prevent anyone to reach max level . I can see secret world following the same way with ease, the whales paying for the freeloaders, exclusives flats and mansions(cheap at 90$ only) to display your trophies etc...The influx of players and fresh money will likely allow them continuing the story.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
There's no misrepresentation on anyone's part but your own. I swear, if someone claimed the sky was blue you'd staunchly deny it while lecturing them about the Rayleigh scattering effect.

And while I don't see any "agenda" from Kem0sabe's other than representing reality, you know that clearly I'm motivated merely by years-long bitterness that Funcom shitcanned their magnum opus that I loved so much.

:pete:

EDIT: Sorry, I don't have all the names of fired staff, but do you think the few you mentioned accounted for all of Funcom's US$1.8million retrenchment in salaries and wages?

They weren't creatives. A lot of different professions in game companies, many of them not creative professions. QA and CS, for example. There haven't been lay-offs at Funcom since 2012.

And hey, we sold Fashion Week Live to someone else, who shut it down later. If it had been Funcom, we'd have left it open way longer than it made sense to so we could deal with the bitterness of veterans who want to know why their game which makes no money isn't getting new content every other week :) (Disclaimer - that was a joke because no doubt someone will try to pretend that is a serious comment)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
37ba4e86a55aa9a7a5a4c76582b664c1.gif

bylam Spending thousands of hours (and euros) on your games and seeing them slowly dying instead of getting the love they deserve... I want to ride my vaaghasan from T6 Wayfarer to SC entrance forever, but my will is broken. I've seen things ESOtards wouldn't believe. The whole Palace of Cetriss from under the floor. I watched full T4 tanks getting one-shotted by Aspects near the Ziggurat. All those moments will be lost in time when the servers go down, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Last edited:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I bow out. Your ability to comprehend the things you read is outstripped only by your in-depth knowledge of the place where I am employed.

And I hear you, Bozia. I feel the pain. I invested a lot of myself in those projects and knowing that they might vanish into the ether one day is soul-ripping.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
37ba4e86a55aa9a7a5a4c76582b664c1.gif

bylam Spending thousands of hours (and euros) on your games and seeing them slowly dying instead of getting the love they deserve... I want to ride my vaaghasan from T6 Wayfarer to SC entrance forever, but my will is broken. I've seen things ESOtards wouldn't believe. The whole Palace of Cetriss from under the floor. I watched full T4 tanks getting one-shotted by Aspects near the Ziggurat. All those moments will be lost in time when the servers go down, like tears in rain. Time to die.

They don't help themselves. Did they even update the subscription pricing after removing all the loyalty shit?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I bow out. Your ability to comprehend the things you read is outstripped only by your in-depth knowledge of the place where I am employed.

And I hear you, Bozia. I feel the pain. I invested a lot of myself in those projects and knowing that they might vanish into the ether one day is soul-ripping.
bylam Do you know how frantic things are right now at the Secret World Legends hq with the extended downtime and the currency duping exploit?

The maintenance was supposed to finish at 17:00 my time, now another extension was announced, and the next estimate is 1:00 am my time.

I don't complain, I am not some super hardcore SWL player, just wondering if there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Cromwell

Arcane
Did I see that correctly that now all passives are weapon bound, meaning they are useless if you dont use the weapon they are associated with? Thats a bit meh since in the old version you could use any passive since some of them were only bound to specific status effects and so worked with all weapon skills that had this effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom