Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some RPG

Morkar Left

Dead State Is it finished and is it one of those survival shit that you have to drink and eat every 5 min?
Sea Dogs look like Age of Pirates reskin.Is it the same going around blowing ships?
PS:Pirate live for me!

Dead State is finished, but can get boring later on. No drinking and eating in it while in "adventure mode". You need food/ressources for your base, though and they are therefore very important.

With Sea Dogs TEHO you're right. But it has some minor improvements / refinements when it comes to the rpg aspects and storyline. There a lots of quests around. In fact the story reminds me of a good classic pirate novel but you have to live with the bad translation (but telling developers what to fix will probably get fixed).
The tutorial is relatively long and seems to annoy a lot of people. But you can skip it to get your ship early. But honestly I liked the tutorial. It's basically classic rpg quests and actually shows you the gameplay mechanics very well. And depending on how well you are planning, the overall outcome of money you can make diffrs greatly.
Melee Combat is actually quite enjoyable and takes some skill to learn. Combat on sea etc. was always good. Maintainence costs for your crew/ship are a bit high imho but at least there's an option at game start to deactivate it.
With the dlc I guess you will have around 100 hours on gametime with questing. But the game is buggy. It seems especially with some quests of the latest dlc. I hope a patch will come out soon. Save often, save early and use different slots (and no quicksave).

V_K

Arcane
Voidspire Tactics (despite the name and JRPG-ish look, it's an open-world RPG with full party creation and great level/encounter design) and its sequel Alvora Tactics (haven't played myself yet, but the reactions here seems to suggest it's just as good as VT, if more of a TRPG).
Does it have Side quests ?Thanks by the way i will try it.
Not explicitly (it's kinda like Ultima in that regard - you are rarely given an explicit quest, it's all exploration-based), but there are many optional/secret areas, secret bosses and hidden treasures.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Voidspire Tactics (despite the name and JRPG-ish look, it's an open-world RPG with full party creation and great level/encounter design) and its sequel Alvora Tactics (haven't played myself yet, but the reactions here seems to suggest it's just as good as VT, if more of a TRPG).
Does it have Side quests ?Thanks by the way i will try it.
Not explicitly (it's kinda like Ultima in that regard - you are rarely given an explicit quest, it's all exploration-based), but there are many optional/secret areas, secret bosses and hidden treasures.
I take it that it is something like Laxius Power trilogy and Laxius Force trilogy.I you haven't played them,you should try them.From what i remember Laxius power is free.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Arx Fatalis - Dungeon crawlers are the best crawlers
Divine Divinity
Blackguards
Expeditions: Conquistador - sort of an RPG
Geneforge 1-5 - About ~200-250 hours of incline right here
Gothic 1 - If you have already played 1, play Gothic 2
Legend of Eisenwald
Lords of Xulima
Nethergate
The Banner Saga 1 - Very short, quite easy
Wasteland 1
Prelude to Darkness

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Try Adom, Tome4, DoomRL, DCSS. They are all free.
Geneforge series is good(open world, TB). I liked 2,3,4.
Shadowrun on SegaMD is a gem(multiple classes, open world).
Stalker series(is it RPG?).

V_K

Arcane
I take it that it is something like Laxius Power trilogy and Laxius Force trilogy.I you haven't played them,you should try them.From what i remember Laxius power is free.
No, I played LP3 (ages ago), and it's nothing like VT.
In VT:
1) You create your own party and have full control over character development;
2) There are no random combats, all encounters are hand-crafted;
3) Battles happen on exploration map, characters can move/position in battles and and terrain is highly interactable/destructible (think Divinity: Original Sin but even more flexible in some ways);
4) There are many non-combat paths through areas that rely on interaction with the environment;
5) The main quest is completely non-linear and exploration-based, and the whole gameworld is accessible from the beginning (provided you can survive the battles);
6) It's not written in RPGMaker.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Arx Fatalis - Dungeon crawlers are the best crawlers
Divine Divinity
Blackguards
Expeditions: Conquistador - sort of an RPG
Geneforge 1-5 - About ~200-250 hours of incline right here
Gothic 1 - If you have already played 1, play Gothic 2
Legend of Eisenwald
Lords of Xulima
Nethergate
The Banner Saga 1 - Very short, quite easy
Wasteland 1
Prelude to Darkness
Very good list,played all of them,loved most of them.I frequently replay spiderweb games and have at lest a few of them on my desktop.

Callisto

Which ones do you recommend from this list ?

Avadon series
Avernum series
Balrum
Rage of Mages 1-2 + Evil Island
Risen series
Sea Dogs 1-3
Serpent in the Staglands
Tales of Maj'Eyal + DLCs
The Age of Decadence + Dungeon Rats
UnderRail

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With Sea Dogs TEHO you're right. But it has some minor improvements / refinements when it comes to the rpg aspects and storyline. There a lots of quests around. In fact the story reminds me of a good classic pirate novel but you have to live with the bad translation (but telling developers what to fix will probably get fixed).
The tutorial is relatively long and seems to annoy a lot of people. But you can skip it to get your ship early. But honestly I liked the tutorial. It's basically classic rpg quests and actually shows you the gameplay mechanics very well. And depending on how well you are planning, the overall outcome of money you can make diffrs greatly.
Melee Combat is actually quite enjoyable and takes some skill to learn. Combat on sea etc. was always good. Maintainence costs for your crew/ship are a bit high imho but at least there's an option at game start to deactivate it.
With the dlc I guess you will have around 100 hours on gametime with questing. But the game is buggy. It seems especially with some quests of the latest dlc. I hope a patch will come out soon. Save often, save early and use different slots (and no quicksave).
Having fuckloads of fun with CoAS at the moment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Avadon series
Avernum series
Balrum
Risen series
Sea Dogs 1-3
Serpent in the Staglands
Tales of Maj'Eyal + DLCs
UnderRail
Played all of them. Some loved some not that much.
Also nice necro.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Avernum Play Exile
Tales of Maj'Eyal + DLCs Play TOME
UnderRail
I'd include Risen 1 up to and including chapter 2 if I am not misremembering and then ditch the series like a hot potato.
EDIT: This is only applicable if you haven't played Gothic already. And even then you should probably play ELEX before Risen 1 anyway.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Avernum Play Exile
Tales of Maj'Eyal + DLCs Play TOME
UnderRail
I'd include Risen 1 up to and including chapter 2 if I am not misremembering and then ditch the series like a hot potato.
EDIT: This is only applicable if you haven't played Gothic already. And even then you should probably play ELEX before Risen 1 anyway.
The other risen games are good but not as the Risen 1.

Callisto

And even then you should probably play ELEX before Risen 1 anyway.

Well , currently ELEX is a newborn baby that cost too much . I'l wait until it lost its virginity ( receives more patches / expansion ) and become more mature .

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And even then you should probably play ELEX before Risen 1 anyway.

Well , currently ELEX is a newborn baby that cost too much . I'l wait until it lost its virginity ( receives more patches / expansion ) and become more mature .
I finish it this days. Worth the money for fans of PB games, even a pirate like me doesn't think that it is a waste of money.

Callisto

even a pirate like me doesn't think that it is a waste of money.
I rarely see this kind of coment from the dark side . :)

Forget the Skyrim crap . What's your opinion about TeS III and IV ? Are those empty glasses ( not modded games ) worth anything without a fine vine ( mods ) ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Forget the Skyrim crap . What's your opinion about TeS III and IV ? Are those empty glasses ( not modded games ) worth anything without a fine vine ( mods ) ?
Fuck no,they are made by a big corporation. They don't need my money! Still most rpgs have something of value in them. Even oblivion have a nice dlc and fun thieve mechanics. Morrowind is my favourite elder scroll game.

Callisto

Fuck no,they are made by a big corporation. They don't need my money! Still most rpgs have something of value in them. Even oblivion have a nice dlc and fun thieve mechanics. Morrowind is my favourite elder scroll game.
Thanks for the reply . Bought the Risen series and removing Morrowind , Oblivion and Skyrim from my other wishlist .

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Thanks for the reply . Bought the Risen series and removing Morrowind , Oblivion and Skyrim from my other wishlist .
Well Morrowind is pretty classic game, if you find it for a few bucks it could be worth it. It have very unique and alien world,shit combat and a lot of quests. Also it doesn't have fast travel. If you are a dude who wants to really buy games and have the money,then the game is worth on sale.

The best RPG is Panzershreck. Anyways:
Temple of Element Evil
Ultima 6-7
Wizardry 6-8
Fallout New Vegas
Gothic 1-2
Arx Fatalis
Risen
Divine Divinity
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

Non-RPGs to past time:
Chivalry Medieval Warfare - The game that showed Ubisoft how to make a historical fighter.
Dark Souls
Dark Messiah
Brutal Doom 64
Age of Empires trilogy
Vanquish

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom