Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking - historical Viking RPG from Logic Artists

Jinn

Arcane
Just wanted to pop in and mention to anyone who has been waiting for the difficulty to be increased a bit before playing. I'm still fairly early on in the game (Ribe), but I've been enjoying some nicely challenging encounters on just hard mode, and truly ball-crushing encounters on insane. I've also found that the scaled resource availability seems to have been addressed well too. I haven't felt like I've been swimming in abundance yet. I could see them tweaking the gameplay to be even better with future patches, but right now I'm pretty pleased.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i continued finally, the game is great so far, lots of content, some fun some were standard quests, but i really like the game. still conquistadors' format feels like more of an 'expedition' and this more like baldurs gate with sophisticated camping system. playing for the last 3 days finally left denmark and di the quest in the first village. fun game, and too bad the launch was really rocky

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Is the game playable now? I mean no constant crashes and bugs all over the place?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yes for me so far. Aside from the usual unity hiccups, the game run alot smoother and no crash in my 5 hours run after 1.05

Used to crash once in a while back then

Jinn

Arcane
Decent game but so very easy.

Have you tried it with a new game since the 1.05 patch came out? If someone thinks the insane difficulty is easy now, I'd really like to see them record some gameplay that shows this. I had enemies destroying me in two hits when I tried it out and the OP archer problem seems to be sorted out.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of Conquistadors and didn't pay much attention to this game. I just started playing it yesterday and it is fucking awesome. I thought it was going to be Conquistadors but with Vikings, which would be okay filler to play a little. This is a real rpg and pretty fucking awesome. I am more than pleasantly surprised. Everything it does it does very well. My only complaints are my usual stupid rotating cameras that waste my time and do nothing but aggravate normal players, and it is a little (or a lot) loot heavy. Combat is good (but was good too in E:C) Chargen is good. Chardev is good and even nicer because it is a new system. Crafting isn't retarded and too much like in a lot of other games nowadays. And, this is the first game I am going with the party members I didn't make myself. They aren't annoying or over the top, their banter is good, and since I got them all early I could build them efficiently.

I'm surprised no one pointed out to me this was a real rpg. Anyhow, great game and now I have another dev team to be a fanboy of.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm surprised no one pointed out to me this was a real rpg.

I guess you must have missed all the times that I pointed it out in all those newsposts about real RPGs that I don't post. +M

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I'm surprised no one pointed out to me this was a real rpg.

I guess you must have missed all the times that I pointed it out in all those newsposts about real RPGs that I don't post. +M

Why would I read a news posts about a game I planned on buying but expected very little from? Was it crazy of me to assume Expedition Vikings would be just like Expedition Conquistador but with Vikings?

I make a lot of posts about real rpgs and some sane person could have pointed out to me this game was totally different than it's predecessor and was pure awesome.

And you have to admit you don't post a lot of news on lower profile rpgs, or any news at all in cases of most of the more independent ones. While posting news about blatant none rpgs. Is asking for the release of real rpgs getting a news blurb such a bad idea? It is way more important to me than getting update # 809 on the same games over and over. I rarely read reviews or previews or updates. When a game is announced I want to know what systems and content it will include and release date. I think only care if there are major system or feature changes that make it a non-rpg. And release information is critical, especially for independent developers where every sale counts.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
the game is so fun so far,

i just slaughtered a bunch of unarmed children and their parents

the quest to rout the pagans, you meet dudes that waits on the bridge waiting for a group of pagan refugee. they asked me to kill them in return of helping me kill the rest of the romulus cult. you can turn off the lethal attack, but senseless slaughter are just so fun

Severian Silk

There's a front page? Oh, you mean Infinitron's blog wall!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barbarian

Arcane
so i continued finally, the game is great so far, lots of content, some fun some were standard quests, but i really like the game. still conquistadors' format feels like more of an 'expedition' and this more like baldurs gate with sophisticated camping system. playing for the last 3 days finally left denmark and di the quest in the first village. fun game, and too bad the launch was really rocky

Yeah it is a great game. I dislike the viking setting and I still coudn't keep from playing it.

Look forward to "Expeditions: Crusader" or whatever they come up with next.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finished it. it was a really great game, and in return, i wrote a review in hope raising the ratings

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hoboForEternity/recommended/445190

i love the series and hope more expeditions are coming. still regretful that the game launch practically unfinished. if it was polished, it would receive alot of good reception which means publicity, and more sales. everytime i recommend the game, the answers are usually "but the reviews are only mostly positive! (even mixed beforehand)" "i heard the game is more broken than a horse that fell off a skyscraper building!"

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
hey, i think my review tipped the rating. it's very positive now in the recent category. also i probably should write something about the time limit. because alot of people are discouraged by it. i myself still have like 1 and a half month left after the britain campaign is finished, so i just walk around finishing my upgrades and return exactly at 18th september, 1 day before the althing

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So, what would you say the Kodex Konsensus is about this game?
it's pretty good. Great combat system, great writing, but lots of technical issues.

But when i played it, the big bugs are mostly gone. I did got some wacky visual and physics bug in combat where when a dude die, they just froze in place instead of falling down like a good corpse. There is also where a dude float instead of walking and a litttle girl stuck in combat that isnt actually part of cthe combat.

They donnt really break anything, but cN be annoying and distracting

Urbanolo

Augur
I have finished the game - it's awesome. Bugs are still rampant though (some trigger checks are wrong for example the slave quest from Orkney triggers during the attack on Eoforwic and you start combat against 0 opponents). Great game nonetheless and one that is completetly different from it's predecessors.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have to wonder if developers have some kind of deal with graphics card companies to fry GPUs, there's basically no reason in the universe why games nowadays should run as hot as they do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom