Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

sser

Arcane
Developer
I mostly play NR with Reavers, though lately I've started using the Tridam Infantry because the armor helps against the waves of weather people are running. I haven't tried an axeman deck yet. I did try Queensguard and the one with lots of boats, both which were really strong.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I mostly play NR with Reavers, though lately I've started using the Tridam Infantry because the armor helps against the waves of weather people are running. I haven't tried an axeman deck yet. I did try Queensguard and the one with lots of boats, both which were really strong.

I've just reached Rank 16 for the first time with the Henselt Reaver Hunters (very combo oriented version), and it's a very fun deck to play. Pretty difficult as well, I dropped like 500 MMR when learning it to begin with, but have been having a lot more success now that I've wrapped my head around how I can get value from the Reaver Hunters over 3 rounds and how the opponent can fuck with it (Monsters are so painful). You sometimes need to make some unintuitive plays, like going 2 cards down in R1 if you can win without any Hunters.

sser

Arcane
Developer

I've just reached Rank 16 for the first time with the Henselt Reaver Hunters (very combo oriented version), and it's a very fun deck to play. Pretty difficult as well, I dropped like 500 MMR when learning it to begin with, but have been having a lot more success now that I've wrapped my head around how I can get value from the Reaver Hunters over 3 rounds and how the opponent can fuck with it (Monsters are so painful). You sometimes need to make some unintuitive plays, like going 2 cards down in R1 if you can win without any Hunters.

Curious to know the deck. I dropped Hunters because the deck I was running also used the Commandos, but they indirectly got nerfed by changing Adepts to 4STR so I can't draw them anymore. Basically switched to Radovid after that.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Curious to know the deck. I dropped Hunters because the deck I was running also used the Commandos, but they indirectly got nerfed by changing Adepts to 4STR so I can't draw them anymore. Basically switched to Radovid after that.

This one. Most problematic matchup is definitely Monsters, not really because of any inherent property of the faction, but because it currently runs the most graveyard hate, Succubus, and often Regis and Renew as well, all of which can fuck you pretty hard. Does well vs Skellige in general, unless they're running Kambi, then it's basically impossible to win if you let them take R1.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tfw want to main ST but dislike Spellatael.

:despair:

Given dwarves a try lately? Probably not tier 1 but might fare better now. Way less NG around since the patch means no more constantly worrying about Auckes and Peter

I haven't really, no. I only have a few dwarf cards; I went full elf-retard and it doesn't seem to have paid off so much.

I'll look up a dwarfy deck and see how it goes, they seem popular at least.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Had a few successes using a cobbled together Dorf deck in casual play, thanks for the suggestion Grubba.

I'm quite enjoying the stunties so far; missing a few cards but I'm really liking the Brouver Hoog -> Saskia -> Dennis Cranmer combo when you've already got a field full of boosted dwarfies and it's looking dicey.

Played against a few savage bears which wasn't too terrible, also lost to a northern realms once (embarrasing.) I think 60% of the decks were monster white frosts which isn't a huge problem when I'm running cards like Zoltan and Dwarven Mercenary but I may need to add another first light card rather than only running the one.

Anyway, really quite impressed with CDPR's efforts on this game, really enjoying myself.

Mahakam wasn't built in a day.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, gotta admit Skellige's getting real fucking old.

To be fair, though, it's not just '1' deck, it's like 4 to 5 of them bustled into the same faction. So there's some diversity there, but that's mostly because they have a couple of genuinely broken cards. I'm not even sure what the fuck Queensguard was before they got nerfed. I'm playing them now and it's an extremely strong deck that's pretty resistant to people taking out its win conditions.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
I seem to only play Nilf spies & Dagon weather at the moment and I'm getting pretty salty about Dagon..

Kind of miss Skellige, even if Queensguard is somewhat bullshit.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
They'll nerf some skellige cards in next big patch, that's for sure. If I were you, I'd hold to excess cards like bears/shieldmaidens etc. Free dust 8)

Grubba

Arcane
Had a few successes using a cobbled together Dorf deck in casual play, thanks for the suggestion Grubba.

I'm quite enjoying the stunties so far; missing a few cards but I'm really liking the Brouver Hoog -> Saskia -> Dennis Cranmer combo when you've already got a field full of boosted dwarfies and it's looking dicey.

It's a fun archetype but like I said, probably not top tier at the moment. Everybody is running alzur's thunder and locks to deal with Skellige and those are also good at neutralizing the resilient units that this deck relies on. After skellige gets the nerf bat taken to it, could mean that this deck benefits. Or not. Honestly i think this deck will probably always face an uphill climb in the meta because the counters to it are so prevalent.

Kinda dumb that they nerfed some of the cards last patch. Mahakam guard doesn't buff as much and Barclay Els can't pull golds anymore.

Yesterday I managed to win a few games with a Nilfgaard reveal deck against discard Skellige and weather Monsters (running just the silver mage for weather removal!)

It took a lot of baiting, bluffing and counting, losing the first round with a +1 card advantage in the case of Monsters to get most of the weather and all of the cards out of his hand. Tibor sealed the deal in the 3rd round, as usual.

Now I intend to run a new Emhyr deck. I like the versatility he offers, but he's not as straightforward to play as in closed beta.

What I mean to say is that Nilfgaard is not yet lost, but it requires a more claculated playstyle.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Just played a monster deck who filled out his first round board with three wild hunt riders & a wil hunt navigator, fairly standard stuff.

I played yarpen zigrin, a mahakam defender and a mahakam guard. Passed.

He brings out triss to zap his own wild hunt rider to try and lose the first round so he can keep his riders. Doesn't seem to take into account triss' 7 power. Wins first round. :lol:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tfw want to main ST but dislike Spellatael.

:despair:

Given dwarves a try lately? Probably not tier 1 but might fare better now. Way less NG around since the patch means no more constantly worrying about Auckes and Peter

I haven't really, no. I only have a few dwarf cards; I went full elf-retard and it doesn't seem to have paid off so much.

I'll look up a dwarfy deck and see how it goes, they seem popular at least.
If you are still looking for a ST deck that uses elves, try giving this a go:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22484-4k-hybrid-st-not-dhoine-friendly

I've been playing it a bit and it works well enough. I assume you are at lower ranks, where it should work really well because people won't know they need to play around Toruviel + Aellirenn combo. Pretty hilarious when it works and they go into card disadvantage while still losing the round. Swapped the sapper for another vanguard personally, but I guess that's up to preference.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
If you are still looking for a ST deck that uses elves, try giving this a go:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22484-4k-hybrid-st-not-dhoine-friendly

I've been playing it a bit and it works well enough. I assume you are at lower ranks, where it should work really well because people won't know they need to play around Toruviel + Aellirenn combo. Pretty hilarious when it works and they go into card disadvantage while still losing the round. Swapped the sapper for another vanguard personally, but I guess that's up to preference.

Looks good. I'm only missing one card, too. I'll give it a go in a bit, thanks.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should almost always place Morenn (or a sapper if you run them) like you would Toruviel, since Morenn isn't really sensitive to positioning. They can test for Morenn by just playing a unit though, so after they do they know it's either Toruviel or a sapper. So yeah it's not really hard to recognize it's Toruviel. If you want to successfully bamboozle your opponent, the key is to play Toruviel as your 5th elf. Since the racial tag doesn't activate until it flips, Aellirenn doesn't come out until your opponent passes. And they don't tend to expect that. Even if they do play around it though you can still often end up with nice card advantage as it can be very hard for your opponent to catch up, since pulling it off with Isengrim and managing to hit all 4 targets with Toruviel is 27 power swing which is pretty huge.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Heh, OK.

I just beat a guy in ranked on round 2 by playing toruviel. He had 14 strength, I had 12. I passed with the most obvious torvuiel play ever and he gladly passed into it.

I doubt that'll work again.

Edit: It happened again.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The only Ambush/Mulligan player I've ever seen at my MMR played a Trapper with Morenn on the board and subsequently shame conceded...

Yeah, gotta admit Skellige's getting real fucking old.

To be fair, though, it's not just '1' deck, it's like 4 to 5 of them bustled into the same faction. So there's some diversity there, but that's mostly because they have a couple of genuinely broken cards. I'm not even sure what the fuck Queensguard was before they got nerfed. I'm playing them now and it's an extremely strong deck that's pretty resistant to people taking out its win conditions.

Well, I didn't really keep track of archetypes, but it was predominantly Mork, some axemen, and the occasional Kambi cheese. Like, one guy's hand in R3 was literally DShackles, DShackles, DBomb, Kambi, Hjalmar. I wasn't even mad, it was so ridiculous.

Cadmus

Arcane
I started to consistently win with Morkvarg deck I made myself and now I see everybody complain he's OP.. How do you guys build him? I don't check any guides since I still feel I need to memorize everything so I just experiment:

Mork, 3x Freya, guy who buffs graveyard, those smith guys who strengthen by 2, 5pt damage guy, 3x the reset special, dshackles...got shit golds so I use Boar and geralt and some shit. And also 1 brokevar guy and 1 self strenghen ship.

Could prolly do with 1 res less I suppose, but I got not many cards available. Got bored of shieldmaidens but now people say they are OP... I don't wanna use them anyway.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I had a Mork deck that used boats. It was pretty strong but also the most boring deck I've ever played. It pretty much played itself and had almost zero interaction with the opposing player.

Andhaira

Arcane
So, how does this game compare to Hearthstone?

And it follows a similar payment model right, free to play and craft/win cards but can purchase more cards with monies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom