Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
Use totems?
I will but with a Righteous Fire which kills faster than these two.
Go self cast low life MoM guardian RF! You dont have to stop ever!

And the MoM changes in 3.0 will make RF way easier to sustain.
RF is not a spell. What is the use of LL ?
Also what changes to MoM are you talking about?

And totem RF is better because you achieve higher life values with totem with less points than yourself and you can use that OP body unique that gives 50% increased totem life. And Chieftan has Totems immune to fire damage which lets totems use RF without actually losing any Life. I was able to get over 1 million damage with 6L (7L if in that body armor) Totem while enemy is under effect of Shock, EE and Flammability.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Use totems?

And totem RF is better because you achieve higher life values with totem with less points than yourself and you can use that OP body unique that gives 50% increased totem life. And Chieftan has Totems immune to fire damage which lets totems use RF without actually losing any Life. I was able to get over 1 million damage with 6L (7L if in that body armor) Totem while enemy is under effect of Shock, EE and Flammability.

... if Righteous Fire isn't a SPELL, how would you be able to cast it with SPELL Totem?

You self cast RF so that you can keep running through the mobs, instead of stopping to cast Totems which is really then no better than any other AoE spell nay slower.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Use totems?

... if Righteous Fire isn't a SPELL, how would you be able to cast it with SPELL Totem?

You self cast RF so that you can keep running through the mobs, instead of stopping to cast Totems which is really then no better than any other AoE spell nay slower.
Wiki says this:
  • Damage modifiers: The following modifiers apply to the damage Righteous Fire deals to enemies: Fire damage, burning damage, damage over time, area damage, and generic damage. These modifiers do not apply to the self-inflicted damage from Righteous Fire.
See no spell damage increasing its damage. Also Path of Building confirms that.
Yes it has a spell tag (so it can work with Spell Totem) but I guess it is a special case.

EDIT: Its damage is a DoT and normally spell damages does not work on Dots. Only three exceptions exist - ED, Scorching Ray and Vortex - but they got that mentioned in their descriptions.
EDIT2: OK spell damage works with Blight as well but it also has it in the spell description.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Use totems?

Wiki says this:
  • Damage modifiers: The following modifiers apply to the damage Righteous Fire deals to enemies: Fire damage, burning damage, damage over time, area damage, and generic damage. These modifiers do not apply to the self-inflicted damage from Righteous Fire.
Yes it has a spell tag (so it can work with Spell Totem) but I guess it is a special case.

EDIT: Its damage is a DoT and normally spell damages does not work on Dots. Only three exceptions exist - ED, Scorching Ray and Vortex - but they got that mentioned in their descriptions.
EDIT2: OK spell damage works with Blight as well but it also has it in the spell description.

The reason to LL+ RF isn't Pain Attunement. It's to wear Shav's and reserve Life for more auras.

That said, RF+Pain Attunement will really pop a secondary damage spell.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Use totems?

Wiki says this:

The reason to LL+ RF isn't Pain Attunement. It's to wear Shav's and reserve Life for more auras.

That said, RF+Pain Attunement will really pop a secondary damage spell.
You can probably do the same with totems. And have a Scorching Ray Totem for that insane bonus spell damage.

baturinsky

Arcane
I can't make a non-squishy melee character:( My Blade Flurry Assassin deals (comparatively) huge damage, but has to stay in place for it, and is easily smashed by most bosses. I assume it's mostly because of poor gear - I have nowhere near cap resists on him (on Cruel) and not much +max health.

Comparatively, my totem Flamblast Inquisitor and (totem) Necromancer are doing way better, because they can dodge attacks while totems/summons do the damage.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I use Blade Flurry with my witch, but I have Flame Golems to block for me. I also use a Jeweled Foil with fast attack - 1.95 attacks per second, + the witch dual wield node, so Blade Flurry charges up to 6 in about 1 second. Also I have Shadow's leech nodes.

But the important survival skills are learning to use movement skills to keep moving, recognizing lethal bosses/ rare packs to avoid, and keep flask effects up all the time.

Is your Assassion evasion based? If so, that's the problem. Evasion isn't real defense.

But then Blade Flurry isn't "real" melee either:D

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Which witch do you use?

My Flurry is based on dual claws Assassin https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...3?accountName=Mihosh&characterName=Tsaptsarap

Mostly investing in life, ES and evasion, in that order.

There's no point at all in evasion if you aren't going to get Arrow Dancing.

You could pick up a relic Cloak of Defiance instead of pathing to MoM.

You can pick up 74% ES for 7 points from the paths north and south of Deep Wisdom. That helps survivability a lot.

This is how I would path dual claw life assassin to lvl 90.

Instead of the physical attack damage with claw nodes I picked up generic physical damage nodes and dual wield physical damage nodes instead, but you could pick those claw nodes back up or more cs nodes if you want. For more life, you can easily path to Revenge of the Hunted or Blood Siphon.

You can also path a little differently to pick up some more scion island jewel slots or Eldtritch Battery, which combos well with MoM. Also you can respec the 16 point path into Ranger (from herbalism) somewhere else.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Which witch do you use?

My Flurry is based on dual claws Assassin https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...3?accountName=Mihosh&characterName=Tsaptsarap

Mostly investing in life, ES and evasion, in that order.

There's no point at all in evasion if you aren't going to get Arrow Dancing.

You could pick up a relic Cloak of Defiance instead of pathing to MoM.

You can pick up 74% ES for 7 points from the paths north and south of Deep Wisdom. That helps survivability a lot.

All Evasion I got was from nodes with ES, so they were nearly free:)
And yeah, I'm going to grab those points.

Question is, a lot of my survivability comes from leech, and I'm not sure if I should take Ghost Reaver if my hp will be split between life and ES.

PS: Or maybe just use Essentia Sanguis? Speaking of that, which are cheap Claw options?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Touch of Anguish is the highest physical damage unique claw, unless you have minion damage (then it's Scourge). Essentia Sanguis is ok but only if you are not pathing to Ghost Reaver. Still, you can use it to try out Ghost Reaver.

5% ES + 10% Evade nodes are meh if they are dead ends, since it's essentially just 5% ES. You are better off with 6-10% ES or 5% ES + 3-4% Life nodes from Melding and Written in Blood.

Are you in the guild? I'll put claws and other gear in the guild stash.

Anima Stone and the Primordial jewels are all extremely undercosted for how valuable extra flame golems are. I've seen Intuitive Leap for as low as 13 chaos; I bought most of mine for 20-25 chaos.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Touch of Anguish is the highest physical damage unique claw, unless you have minion damage (then it's Scourge). Essentia Sanguis is ok but only if you are not pathing to Ghost Reaver. Still, you can use it to try out Ghost Reaver.

5% ES + 10% Evade nodes are meh if they are dead ends, since it's essentially just 5% ES. You are better off with 6-10% ES or 5% ES + 3-4% Life nodes from Melding and Written in Blood.

Are you in the guild? I'll put claws and other gear in the guild stash.

Anima Stone and the Primordial jewels are all extremely undercosted for how valuable extra flame golems are. I've seen Intuitive Leap for as low as 13 chaos; I bought most of mine for 20-25 chaos.
Now everything is cheap. At start of league it is not.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The keystone is garbage unless you're really troubled by projectile attacks for some reason (most projectiles are spells anyway), or are still dying to reflect on a crit-based bow/wand build. For those it might be a good pick-up if you're pathing by it anyway. For everyone else taking the Keystone would generally be considered a drop in survivability, not a gain. Projectiles can still be avoided manually by just moving out of the way (tittybitches, devo ranged attacks etc.). For the past 4+ leagues beyonding your maps for returns was the way to go, and that means you regularly face both flicker and leap-slam monsters who are some of the most troublesome monsters to EV-based characters.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Arrow Dancing is a great QoL choice for me but that's probably because I get freeze lag when mobs appear. Projectiles are by far the most common sort of enemy attack. Normal melee mobs are trash. Flicker/ Leap Slam mobs are usually pretty fragile. Actually I'm not sure why we're discussing mobs.

I like Arrow Dancing against bosses that have dangerous projectiles. Flicker bosses like the beyond guys dont really bother me so much, idk why. They hit me, I move whirl and regen, not really dangerous, as long as you can't get frozen or stunned. Melee can't catch whirl.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Projectiles are by far the most common sort of enemy attack.
Projectiles, yes. Projectile attacks, no.

I like Arrow Dancing against bosses that have dangerous projectiles.
The only boss I consider dangerous that actually has projectile attacks and not spells would be Frost-Piety. You can easily dodge those, even with additional GMP rolled on the map.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Projectiles are by far the most common sort of enemy attack.
Projectiles, yes. Projectile attacks, no.

I like Arrow Dancing against bosses that have dangerous projectiles.
The only boss I consider dangerous that actually has projectile attacks and not spells would be Frost-Piety. You can easily dodge those, even with additional GMP rolled on the map.

Hm. I never noticed that before. Strange, Evade and Arrow Dancing seems to help against Izaro. I've been hit by a Volley for Justice! and not been hurt, but that's a spell, right? So it shouldn't work.

Well this doesn't mean Arrow Dancing is bad. Rather it means that evade is completely useless.

If I respec, this could be my level 100 witch passive tree. Not bad.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm I found another cool starter build using a skill I always wanted to try - Frostbolts. Build uses Hrimburn gloves to ignite enemies and then focuses on scaling Ignite. Since original hit is cold EE is used for constant -50% resistance to fire damage. Frostbolt jewels provide free and faster projectiles.
New emberwake ring is used to provide multiple Ignites on enemies. Dps is pretty good.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Well this doesn't mean Arrow Dancing is bad. Rather it means that evade is completely useless.
Evade is very nice on QOTF/Acrobatics builds, and the Keystone has its uses aswell. Few things are really garbage, Elemental Hit being one of those few things for example.

why frostbolt when one can use ice spear instead
Because Frostbolt is better than ice-spear in pretty much every regard, except crit-chance. It has higher basedamage, better damage effectiveness, free pierce, hits more than one target, and you get free GMP aswell with the threshold jewels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom