Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great FPS's

v1rus

Arcane
So? Looking for FPS's with fun mechanics/interesting settings/good story fagotry.

Something in kin of Stalker, but I'm also open to oldies.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Far Cry 2 is still my favourite FPS.

Setting and story are ace, the fire mechanic cool (if a bit gimmicky).

There is some annoying stuff too, like instantly reinforced outposts or stealth jeeps, but if you can get past that there's nothing better.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
No One Lives Forever is one of the funniest games ever with enjoyable gunplay, tons of different weapons and gadgets, good writing, memorable characters, a wide variety of different locations and cool music in a hilarious 60's spy setting. The sequel is not nearly as good, but it fleshes out the stealth mechanics and is lots of fun too.

mbv123

Arbiter

There is some annoying stuff too, like instantly reinforced outposts or stealth jeeps, but if you can get past that there's nothing better.
Far Cry 2 is probably the most depressing FPS I've ever played. No, it's not because of the setting or story, but because it had so much potential to be the ultimate Africa merc sim, but instead I got some shitty shooter, set in linear, boring maps with enemies that respawn 3 minutes after you kill them, repetitive objectives that force you to drive through the same map, fighting through those same checkpoints you cleared 50 times before. As soon as I was done with the first half, I thought the game would open up, but NOPE, do the same shit again, except this time you need to spend 5 minutes crossing a stupid lake to get to the quest hub.

PrettyDeadman

Darkwatch is amazing (even though it's a PS2 game).

Singularity.

Clive Barker's Undying.

Don Peste

Arcane
You Are Empty
121653-you-are-empty-windows-front-cover.jpg

Condemned
100442-condemned-criminal-origins-windows-front-cover.jpg

Bet on Soldier
83552-bet-on-soldier-blood-sport-windows-front-cover.jpg

Area 51
61475-area-51-windows-front-cover.jpg

Elite Force
78864-star-trek-voyager-elite-force-windows-front-cover.jpg

Gunman Chronicles
21856-gunman-chronicles-windows-front-cover.jpg

Wheel of Time
8645-the-wheel-of-time-windows-front-cover.jpg

Klingon Honor Guard
2789-star-trek-the-next-generation-klingon-honor-guard-windows-front-cover.jpg

Shogo MAD
2917-shogo-mobile-armor-division-windows-front-cover.jpg

v1rus

Arcane
What about those oldies like Hexen and stuff?

Also, new Doom any good?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
MGS5:TPP has the best story and mechanics among all games of all time. The camera isn't strictly first person, but it's just over the shoulder.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Far Cry 2 is probably the most depressing FPS I've ever played. No, it's not because of the setting or story, but because it had so much potential to be the ultimate Africa merc sim, but instead I got some shitty shooter, set in linear, boring maps with enemies that respawn 3 minutes after you kill them, repetitive objectives that force you to drive through the same map, fighting through those same checkpoints you cleared 50 times before. As soon as I was done with the first half, I thought the game would open up, but NOPE, do the same shit again, except this time you need to spend 5 minutes crossing a stupid lake to get to the quest hub.

There is enough nonsense in FC2 to hate it, sure. I enjoyed sneaking by outposts and guards, scouting objectives and explore the landscape. To each his own I guess.

Don't get the 'linear, boring maps' criticism at all though. I thought they were very rich in variety and one of the best parts of the game.

Ivan

Arcane
Hexen may surprise you, as it did me. It feels more like a an exploration game with a great emphasis on puzzles. I highly recommend it, though not for it's combat.

My favorite FPS:
Shadow Warrior (classic)
Blood

Solid FPS:
Bulletstorm
Crysis

OH! If you're searching for something that scratches that STALKER itch, I HIGHLY recommend Far Cry 3: Ziggy's Mod. It dramatizes the survival mechanics while removing the casual elements from the HUD (e.g. tagging enemies, seeing through walls and shit)

TC Jr

Scholar
Fc2 as already mentioned (sad potential), also more arcadey but the timesplitters series is solid.

Btw I only played fc2 on PS3, is there mods and shit on pc to make it that bit better?

mbv123

Arbiter
Fc2 as already mentioned (sad potential), also more arcadey but the timesplitters series is solid.

Btw I only played fc2 on PS3, is there mods and shit on pc to make it that bit better?
There are mods that add realistic weapon damage which removes bullet spongy enemies but afaik there are none that fix the broken respawn mechanics and repetition.

Ash

Arcane
Fuck your storyfaggotry, pure good old true gameplay must-plays:

Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior Classic
Doom 1+2
Turok 1+2

Minor story focus, but still primarily gameplay faggotry:

Return To Castle Wolfenstien
No One Lives Forever
Half-Life (+Expansions)
STALKER series
Dying Light (modern incline).

Heavier story focus (yet still with good gameplay) hybrid shooters:

System Shock 2
Deus Ex (with GMDX mod to improve....everything. Gunplay and AI most notably in this instance)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Fallout: New Vegas
PREY (maybe. Am playing it now).

Mods that are entirely new campaigns:

Hundreds of Doom WADS
Brutal Doom 64 (deserves it's own mention, because it's really damn good)
The AMC TC (Duke 3D mod)
TNM (Deus Ex Mod)
Project 2027 (Deus Ex Mod)
Nihilum (Deus Ex Mod)
Tons of shit worth a mention, but I forget or haven't played them.

It's OK/good/very good, not up there with the best but worth playing if you really want FPS:

The Suffering 1+2
Alien Trilogy
Red Faction
Wolfenstien 2009
Clive Barker's Undying
Timesplitters series
System Shock 1
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Quake series
Far Cry series
Chasm: The Rift
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
Star Wars: Dark Forces

Third person shooters are a genre worth playing too, which I also wrote a list detailing non-popamole TPS. No distinction which of these have notable story focus though.

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
If you liked Stalker, Metro 2033 is pretty enjoyable. The sequel was alright too, if a little more gung-ho. Just be sure to keep multiple saves in case you accidentally fucked yourself over by exploring too much in sections that require you to use limited gas mask filters. I'd recommend playing on the higher difficulty settings, since IIRC the enemies are pretty spongy on lower levels (as are you). Spec Ops: The Line is also pretty good, if you ignore the rather forced parts. Good progression as things slowly turn to shit. I liked that some of the options available to you aren't explicitly shown to you as well, instead of PRESS A TO DO THING, PRESS X TO DO OTHER THING.

TC Jr

Scholar

There are mods that add realistic weapon damage which removes bullet spongy enemies but afaik there are none that fix the broken respawn mechanics and repetition.
Yeah I installed it earlier with a few realism mods but that fucking respawning, holy shit, I wouldn't mind if they did it like once a day but it feels like if you stay in an area too long they just appear.

Also cheers Ash, I saved that list for later :salute:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So? Looking for FPS's with fun mechanics/interesting settings/good story fagotry.

Outlaws. My most pleasant FPS surprise.

Hexen is good. There's also Strife if you want something a bit more sophisticated.

Hexen is indeed good; I've completed it with all three classes.
I was disappointed by Strife, though. It has more of a story, but level design is poor.

DemonKing

Arcane
FPS games I have fond memories of are:

FEAR (original + expansions is best)
Half Life (prefer original but 2 is ok)
Far Cry (original - before they got turned into Ubisoft open world rubbish)
Crysis 2 (better optimized than original and I liked the city environments better than the island)
Medal of Honor Allied Assault (best ever WW2 SFX)
Star Wars Republic Commando
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom (Original best, 2016 OK, Doom 3 bottom of class)

RaptorRex888

Learned
F.E.A.R. still has some of the best gunplay of any singleplayer FPS. The story itself is mostly forgettable but it has an interesting premise. The expansions are great but stay away from the sequels, especially 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom