Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Sizzle

Arcane
Also, DA changed a lot, in fact it was rebooted several times and the game we know was worked on two years before release.

Yes, and that's exactly what I mean - the only time DA could have been a real PC-centric game was if it was released before or just a bit after KoTOR.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Update on my previous confusion:

Paradox Arctic was opened in 2014 to provide post-launch support for War of the Roses. Development on that game only lasted six months after they started working on it. I can't find a peep about Paradox arctic after that point, so it's possible they were developing internal projects that went nowhere, or providing assistance to other paradox studios in the meantime.

I think it's plausible that they're hoping to turn them into either their porting studio, their RPG studio, or both. If they were doing Pillars now they might want to do Tyranny next assuming it's commercially viable, and after building up some experience, they'll give them their own game to develop. Or they might already have something in development with this on the side, who knows.

Sherry

Arcane
hi.

gosh at this point getting angry is not worth it right when the best rpg has already been made for pc no one is going to buy it on consoles when they can all play it on a more serious platform but if Deadfire is announced as a console game release alongside of the pc release there are going to be issues between Adam and I that go beyond cloud shadows still not being displayed and shadows being cast when it is raining. there is word that shadows will continue to be cast even when storms move in so be prepared for a less than stellar weather system for Deadfire because it does not use a built-in particle shader or VertixLit shaders. this is why we see shadows when it is raining in all the videos. alpha means nothing this should have been addressed already right?

p.s i am no a game designer or have first hand knowledge about shaders I am just saying what I was told. I have been drinking today. sorry.

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Meh, PoE2 was already casual-chasing not-gonna-bother. Changes nothing for me, though I am learning that Paradox is as cartoonishly greedy as their reputation says they are.

Vorark

Erudite
Also, he's kinda contraddicted by a far more recent BioWare series: Dragon Age, that started as a "return to BW's PC roots" and then became utter shit right at the second game, which was made with consoles in mind even if Origins was for most of its development a PC exclusive.

Good thing someone mentioned this. Dragon Age Origins had way better controls on PC than console platforms. What happened next? DA2 was consolized - "press a button and something awesome happens!" Oh yeah, and after that? We got Inquisition, which had a horrible kb+m controle scheme and UI.

Btw, there's something I do not understand. Obsidian always got shafted in the ass by publishers or so the story goes. Now, first time they get to do their own thing and they run back to one? I thought their deal with Paradox was to distribute boxed copies only but then they get to rise prices on digital distribution platforms and now this.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rev

Arcane
Btw, there's something I do not understand. Obsidian always got shafted in the ass by publishers or so the story goes. Now, first time they get to do their own thing and they run back to one? I thought their deal with Paradox was to distribute boxed copies only but then they get to rise prices on digital distribution platforms and now this.
Yeah, the whole price thing is kinda weird. Maybe they did that to avoid harming Tyranny's sales fearing consumers would prefer to buy a more discounted PoE than it, or they didn't want to argue with Paradox about this shit, or they actually agree with it which would be the worst case. Anyway, they should've distanced themselves from Paradox on this price raise bullshit, people have already started complaining and spamming the game's Steam page with negative reviews, which could have a worse effect than losing some dollars because you place the game at 18 € instead of 20.
On the console port, since Paradox appears to be doing the hard work on it, I guess they just thought it would be a little risk because the loss would be minimal in case the game doesn't sell well enough and otherwise they would make some money with very little effort. Makes sense financially, if that's the case (if they spend money on this it doesn't tho), but I still don't like it.

Quillon

Arcane
Hopefully it won't sell even that much.
About 300-400k copies were sold on ps4 and xone versions combined for D:OS, a more successful game

I guess selling even half of that would be profitable.

Rev

Arcane
I guess selling even half of that would be profitable.
Yeah, probably. But it would be a very small profit, not really worth the effort of spending time on it, especially when the game makes like 16 million dollars in revenue on PC.
Also, if Paradox has an active role on this port they'll get a better share of the profits than what they got with the PC version.

Sannom

Augur
This is 2017, a distribution deal only for boxed copies (which are linked to Steam anyways) doesn't make sense.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not sure what all the fuss is about. We should all carry on posting as normal. Console releases are part and parcel of the renaissance.
It's been elected as Codex favourite rpg between 2012 and 2016, so it's confirmed for incline. :obviously:
It's a well-known fact that potato hackers tampered with the vote.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As long as Obsidian itself isn't wasting any resources and the port of POE1 isn't impacting the design of POE2 -- per Sawyer, though it of course remains to be seen -- I don't really care. Can't imagine how it will play well and/or sell well on the consoles, but as long as I can just ignore it, I will.

Quillon

Arcane
Its like PDX made this happen against Obs' will. Or at least Sawyer's. He'll prolly quit after Deadfire :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The comments on that video are priceless (which refuses to load for me for some reason and I can't watch it) -

This game reminds me of Diablo/Baldurs Gate a lot, which I played the heck out of it. It's a shame that it isn't coming to the Swiitch given it would be nice just playing on the Couch, Bed etc...Definitely a good way to kill time while waiting...

I also agree it reminds me of diablo. I loved playing Hardcore mode in D2 and I am still playing hardcore in d3,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom