Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Mark Richard

Arcane
The PC version of PoE 2 will have subtle design tweaks that coincidentally work well with consoles, and the PC version of PoE 3 will be designed from the ground up with consoles in mind. Drop pod enemies, stripped inventory management, and dialogue wheels up the wazoo. PoE 4 will kill you in the shower and make it look like an accident.

I don't think we have to worry too much about losing our isometric texty RPGs to the people sitting 10 feet away from their televisions. My guess is most buyers will go blind within a few days, so things will sort themselves out.

Fry

Arcane
Of course he says that. It's not like he could say "lol no, we've taken your money and now we'll design the game for consoletards, and by the way fuck you :)".

I really doubt he'd straight-up lie when answering a direct question, but he's describing the situation as it exists right now. Deadfire is scheduled to go alpha (content complete) right around the time PoE1 is releasing on console. If the console version sells well, Feargus will be itching to get Deadfire ported ASAP and internal resources may be reassigned to console UI work.

Again, this also hinges on a Paradox deal for Deadfire. Who owns the PoE console code? Does Obsidian have the rights to use that code if Paradox doesn't publish Deadfire?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
A new radial menu is also available for players, which covers much of your needs while on your adventure.

Though they use every button on the controller pad, it still felt more compact and easy to get into compared to the original PC version.

Maybe PC will also get huge update and radial UI.

Console fags don't get to see good RPGs that often.
Bloodborne.

Rev

Arcane
Who the fuck cares if they port this to console? Stop the fucking bitching. Console fags don't get to see good RPGs that often.
It's a fucking useless waste of money.
Why do you care if Paradox wastes money again?
I believe the game will come out only for PC, at least at release, but this porting is just a bad news,
there's nothing to be happy about this shit: if it turns out good the port will fail hard like every other console port of this kind of games, they'll lose money over it
Do you care about Paradox losing money?

while if it turns out to be quite successful despite all (not likely but still), then we'll have a multiplatform PoE3 dumbed down for consoletards.
If that will be the case, we can move on to other good RPGs, it's not like we don't have several good ones in each year.

In either case we gain nothing, at best we're left where we were before,
Exactly, so what is the problem again?
I don't give a shit if Paradox lose money, but there's nothing to gain from this fucking port and all to lose if things go wrong.
It sells bad --> we go back to the original state of PC exclusives without bothering with trying these shitty portings (where we were already)
It sells enough --> next PoE is made from a start with a plan to bring it on consoles, and we'll enjoy a dumbed-down game.

I know you're too much a fanboy to actually get that there's nothing good in this news, but here's how it is. I'm an Obsidian fan too, but I don't support them when they pull this shit.
Also, PoE is completely owned by Obsidian, maybe it's only Paradox who's spending money on this, maybe they spend something too. Anyway, Paradox couldn't have made this port without Feargus agreeing with them, so it's clear he's not opposed to go to consoles even if it affects the game (PoE cannot be played with a pad unless severely dumbed down, Sawyer even said that multiple times).

I really doubt he'd straight-up lie when answering a direct question, but he's describing the situation as it exists right now. Deadfire is scheduled to go alpha (content complete) right around the time PoE1 is releasing on console. If the console version sells well, Feargus will be itching to get Deadfire ported ASAP and internal resources may be reassigned to console UI work.

Again, this hinges on a Paradox deal for Deadfire. Who owns the PoE console code? Does Obsidian have the rights to use that code if Paradox doesn't publish Deadfire?
I'm not claiming he's lying, just that some PR speak is to be expected. Now, I think the port will fail, so the risk of a consolized PoE3 is small, but still I would've preferred not to see them pull this shit that put them closer to inXile hacks.

For your last sentence: Obsidian owns PoE, they probably let Paradox develop the port which will have a better share out of every copy sold than what they had for PoE, but still the IP is in the hands of Obsidian and they could develop a PoE2 console version without Paradox, if they wanted.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
anyone championing this or not caring is an agent of decline. consoles are made for smoothbrains while crpgs, even those like PoE, are designed for people with ridges. As more CRPGS get ported, more will be made that cater to the smooth brained. look at what inxile has done spitting in the face of incline for a few extra dollars from the consoles...

all these ports to consoles will make them start to design with console ports in mind, which will only lead to decline.

Sentinel

Arcane
The Fallout-yfication of Pillars of Eternity.

PoE3 confirmed third person multi platform title. This is always how it goes.

First game:
"Hey guys, we love you so much, please give us money - back to the golden age of PC Gaming! Yayyy!"
Second game:
"Wow that turned out great last time. We need more money though, please give us money. Let's evolve the PC gaming golden age formula! yayyy! oh by the way the first game is being ported to consoles
Third game:
"Shit man, we need bigger profits. Gotta go multiplat. Time to cut half the features the previous game had. Sorry nerds.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
anyone championing this or not caring is an agent of decline.

If Pillars of Eternity - the most micromanagey RTwP RPG ever - is getting ported to console, then everything is going to get ported to console. D:OS 2 is going to get ported too and every other good non-indie RPG that you like. Ultimately I don't care because there's nothing I can do about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I think the consolization of the 2000s isn't the same as consolization in 2017. The market has changed, the circumstances are different and things won't play out the same way they did then.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
look at what inxile has done spitting in the face of incline for a few extra dollars from the consoles...
You are taking this videogame thingy a bit too seriously. Time to leave the room and breath some fresh air.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep he's in damage control mode:

And on SA: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...07509&pagenumber=203&perpage=40#post473623201

irbmCf2.png

lolz:

Ob2pqhL.png

Sentinel

Arcane
It always makes me laugh when people get extremely pissed off over shit like this. Just had a good one over that post.

Deleted member 7219

A new radial menu is also available for players, which covers much of your needs while on your adventure.

Though they use every button on the controller pad, it still felt more compact and easy to get into compared to the original PC version.

Maybe PC will also get huge update and radial UI.

Console fags don't get to see good RPGs that often.
Bloodborne.

As I said, consolefags don't get to see good RPGs that often.

GloomFrost

Arcane
As long as POE 2 is a PC exclusive i dont care much about what they do to POE (clearly torment taught paradox nothing). I do still believe what Sawyer says........ but as a IE games veteran i truly can NOT possible imagine how is it even theoretically possible to play POE using a controller without reducing difficulty to a "story mode". I mean even i was getting tired of constantly micromenaging 8 characters (6 and 2 familiars) and using dozens of spells, abilities, special items etc using a mouse.

Fry

Arcane
as a IE games veteran i truly can NOT possible imagine how is it even theoretically possible to play POE using a controller without reducing difficulty to a "story mode".

Maybe they converted the engine to TB.

Accidental console "incline" causes Codex TB fetishists heads to explode. :lol:

GloomFrost

Arcane
as a IE games veteran i truly can NOT possible imagine how is it even theoretically possible to play POE using a controller without reducing difficulty to a "story mode".

Maybe they converted the engine to TB.

Accidental console "incline" causes Codex TB fetishists heads to explode. :lol:
Ha man do you realize how long would some fights last?? I mean POE is not a short game anyway and with TB combat you wouldn't finish it before POE 2 comes out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I expect you will now only control one character and the rest will be using the AI profile you give them.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
"Console" and "port" in the same sentence:lol::lol::lol::lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It always makes me laugh when people get extremely pissed off over shit like this. Just had a good one over that post.
You mean the same way when Codexians get pissed off over a news like this? Don't think Codexians are any better.

Sannom

Augur
At least they didn't hype it up before release. 8 years and a failed port later, I'm still sour at CD Projeckt for hyping up the console port of The Witcher to their existing audience.

I do still believe what Sawyer says........ but as a IE games veteran i truly can NOT possible imagine how is it even theoretically possible to play POE using a controller without reducing difficulty to a "story mode".
That's the difference between game creators and players : the first know how to solve problems, the second know only to complain about them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom