Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
So how long until the fan translation is complete? I'd rather wait if the translation isn't as good as you say it is.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone heard anything new about the Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 PC ports?

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I don't think they've mentioned anything since announcing that the first game will come out this summer.

Deleted member 7219

I'm a hopeless retard with the poker mini game. I can do Texas hold'em but this has some weird shit added on top which I cannot into. Any advice from Codexers who have beaten that door already?

Deleted member 7219

I'm a hopeless retard with the poker mini game. I can do Texas hold'em but this has some weird shit added on top which I cannot into. Any advice from Codexers who have beaten that door already?
it is mostly down to luck.i neat him in my 3rd try

Thanks. Actually a lot more simple than I thought, I was just drunk when I tried before. Playing it sober was quite easy, just had to be a bit patient.

I also completed the Arena door. I swear that one is tied to level - was a bit tough last time I tried it, but now my characters are all higher level, with really good gear and orbments, I found it ridiculously easy. I just used Earth Wall and Clock Up Ex from Olivier and Kevin and had Zin and Ries mop them up with physical attacks.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm on 1/4 ~ 1/3 of SC. Met this innocent looking loli again, but the way she talks and acts is super obvious she's not normal. Checked out some spoilers and holy shit her background story is so dark. JRPG and anime are really merciless in using cruelties aren't they.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
renne's backstory is actually tastefully done and well written. for children and bascially people who hasn't lost innocence probably will let that go over their hearts. people with blackened souls like us realized what happened since the beginning.

Deleted member 7219

I just did the Looking Glass portion of Plane 6. Didn't have many issues with art reflecting enemies - there aren't many of them, and I just had Olivier and Kevin use buffs rather than offensive arts while Ries and Anelace meleed them.

I am being a pussy by playing on normal, though.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright you dedicated guys who have played through the whole series so far (Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel), what would you say are your top 3 favorites of the bunch. I've been slowly playing through the first Trails in the Sky for the past year or so, but I kind of want to pick up the pace if Trails in the Sky 3 and Cold Steel games are as excellent as they look. Just that daunting task of tackling SC standing in my way. Not to say I don't like what Trails in the Sky has shown me so far, but isn't SC like 80 hours long?

Also, how has it been going for you Lhynn? This seems like a game you wouldn't necessarily generally like, but I surprised myself with how much I've ended up enjoying it (albeit slowly). Also, I play on hard and the game has thrown quite a few very challenging encounters at me throughout.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Trails of Cold Steel 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1 and Trails in the Sky SC are my top three games no question.

I think the Cold Steel games have the best systems and the best characters. Cold Steel 2 added in world travel via an airship and some really great plot twists in the late game. One plot twist in CS2 I would have seen coming if I had played Trails in the Sky 3 first.

See my posts in this thread for more of my thoughts, but the CS games are truly excellent.

SC took me 80 hours to get through. Actually, all the games in the series seem to take me that long. But that was on normal difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I disagree that CS games are better than TitS games. The Noble Faction ended up being power hungry douchebags with no other dimension to them (i.e. Jusis's father and the leader of noble faction). It seems falcom can't do things right when the stakes are high- they should stick to low level stories and exploration.

Other problems include having a completely forgettable main character. He's completely boring with no personality or redeeming qualities. You could replace him with anyone else and it wouldn't make any difference. Other members of Class VII are just ok...luckily there were Sara and Olivier who were much more interesting.

Now for the combat. CS II definitely improved from the first game in this regard; however while doing so they have caused massive unbalance issues. With the right quartz combinations (With Tauros, domination + carnage + turbo mode) you could do upwards of 300K damage in the first turn with Sara's or Laura's S-Craft ending most boss fights right then and there. If that doesn't finish the job, Emma with Pandora master quartz + that quartz that does 2x damage on the first turn certainly will. With Fie and Rean you could delay their turns so much they never get a chance to fight back. This is true for every boss fight in the last chapter. The game became ridiculously easy somewhere in the middle of chapter 2. Oh and EP replenishing quartz are just too OP lol. I finished the game on hard mode.

Another thing that could be improved is the dungeon design. They all felt very easy and linear- there is never a sense of danger. Next time they could add traps, make the dungeons more complex, add innovative puzzles, and definitely turn off the minimap during dungeon exploration.

As for the story, I kind of guessed what would happen in the end. I've seen too many movies and games pulling that stunt and wasn't really surprised.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

I disagree that CS games are better than TitS games. The Noble Faction ended up being power hungry douchebags with no other dimension to them (i.e. Jusis's father and the leader of noble faction). It seems falcom can't do things right when the stakes are high- they should stick to low level stories and exploration.

Other problems include having a completely forgettable main character. He's completely boring with no personality or redeeming qualities. You could replace him with anyone else and it wouldn't make any difference. Other members of Class VII are just ok...luckily there were Sara and Olivier who were much more interesting.

Now for the combat. CS II definitely improved from the first game in this regard; however while doing so they have caused massive unbalance issues. With the right quartz combinations (With Tauros, domination + carnage + turbo mode) you could do upwards of 300K damage in the first turn with Sara's or Laura's S-Craft ending most boss fights right then and there. If that doesn't finish the job, Emma with Pandora master quartz + that quartz that does 2x damage on the first turn certainly will. With Fie and Rean you could delay their turns so much they never get a chance to fight back. This is true for every boss fight in the last chapter. The game became ridiculously easy somewhere in the middle of chapter 2. Oh and EP replenishing quartz are just too OP lol. I finished the game on hard mode.

Another thing that could be improved is the dungeon design. They all felt very easy and linear- there is never a sense of danger. Next time they could add traps, make the dungeons more complex, add innovative puzzles, and definitely turn off the minimap during dungeon exploration.

As for the story, I kind of guessed what would happen in the end. I've seen too many movies and games pulling that stunt and wasn't really surprised.

Unbalanced doesn't mean broken. Some builds should be better than others.

Dungeon design - well, TitS was the same except usually smaller.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
S-crafts are overpowered in Cold Steel games but otherwise the balance is fine. Pretty much every RPG has some abilities, exploits or tactics that can make the game easy.

Deleted member 7219

It is an amazing game, certainly the best systems I've seen in a console RPG, and it should be glorious on PC. All you people who haven't played it yet are going to get the best version.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-legend-heroes-titles-west/
Falcom President Wants to Release Missing “The Legend of Heroes” Games in The West
Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo comments on localizing The Legend of Heroes VII: Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki in the west and more.

Falcom has developed some of the most beloved JRPG series to date, with a history spanning over 30 years, the studio has been making a dent in the western gaming market over the past couple of years.

One of Falcom’s biggest series, The Legend of Heroes, began in the late 90’s as the Dragon Slayer series and is still seeing entries to this day with The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III announced for PlayStation 4. The series has seen success in the west, for example: even though the final entry, Trails in the Sky the 3rd, was originally released in 2007 in Japan. It held a top spot on the Steam charts upon its western release in May 2017.

So from this it’s to be expected that fans in the west want to complete the story. More specifically, they want to see a western release of The Legend of Heroes VII: Zero no Kiseki and The Legend of Heroes VII: Ao no Kiseki.

DualShockers had the chance to sit down with Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo and ask about the two titles and others that fans have been vocal about.

When speaking about plans to localize Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki, Kondo-san said:

That’s something that I really really want to do, and it’s something that I’ll have to work with our partners or find a partner to make it happen.

We also followed up with asking about the “Evolution” series of the Trails in the Sky series, a port of the PSP titles on PlayStation Vita which adds graphical improvements and story content.

As you mentioned, those titles are only on the Vita and we kind of know what’s going on with the Vita right now. So now it turns into who can get those done and ported in time. That said, obviously my dream and my desire is for everyone to play these games, so I’m constantly thinking of a way to make that a possibility. As you know some of our older titles have been coming to Steam, so perhaps in the future that might be one option for us to pursue.

When discussing upcoming titles that Falcom is currently developing, Trails of Cold Steel III was brought up and Kondo-san commented on the state of the game’s development:

One big change for Falcom is that up until now, when it comes to graphics, movies, sound, and the packaging, we’ve been able to do that all in-house with a team of 50 people. However, now that we’ve switched to PS4, we have found that we have to leave some of the tasks to outside companies to take care of.

Additionally he commented on if he’d like to see the game come west:

Absolutely, even compared to a few years ago, in terms of revenue, the foreign market has become incredibly large, way more than I’d ever expect. So it only stems from reason that going forward I believe our titles will release in the west.

Our conversation with Kondo-san lasted almost an hour, where we discussed the Ys series and Falcom’s approach to game development, so please look forward to the full interview.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hopefully we'll have the full trilogy on the PC by the end of next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom