Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Deleted member 7219

Who the fuck cares if they port this to console? Stop the fucking bitching. Console fags don't get to see good RPGs that often.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure what's so difficult to understand. Game will now be single character control only with companion AI, and moved exclusively to RT with fake pause option, a la DA:I. Boom, done.

It was stated that you can suppress the AI and control them all.

Console fags don't get to see good RPGs that often.

They don't WANT RPGs in general. If they did it'd be stupid to bemoan their fate like "oh, woe is me, we don't get RPGs on consoles", well DUUUUUUUh, why would you get a console if you want RPGs? At least those pretending to be monocled like PoE? Is going to consoles in this case commercially viable anyway?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh, I have PoE on PC as it was developed originally, and PoE2 will be a PC focused game. Why would I be angry about Paradox spending money on this shit if it doesn't affect me?

And before you say "oh but PoE2 will be changed to be on consoles as well". You fucking know it that it won't happen. It might be ported after a year, but who cares about that. You know it, so save your time and don't even start bitching about it.

Deleted member 7219

Meh, I have PoE on PC as it was developed originally, and PoE2 will be a PC focused game. Why would I be angry about Paradox spending money on this shit if it doesn't affect me?

Exactly.

There's some real crybabies in this thread. Probably the fuckers who wanted to play with all the toys at school and not let anyone else play with them.

I'm a PC gamer. No fucking way will I play a game on console that I can get for the PC. But I do play games originally made for console that made their way to the PC.

Why the fuck would I care if a PC game went to console? How the fuck does it affect me? Do they take the game away from me?

Athelas

Arcane
With the lower frame rates of consoles, the combat should be slower and therefore easier to follow and more manageable, making this the superior version of the game. :troll:

Fairfax

Arcane
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hands-on-with-pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition/1100-6451040/

Hands-On With Pillars Of Eternity: Complete Edition On Consoles
  • Launching August 29
by Alessandro Fillari on June 21, 2017
Subscribe for the latest gaming news
With the next title in the Pillars of Eternity series on the way in Deadfire, Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive are gearing up for the launch of original to bring in some new blood. In Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, players on PS4 and Xbox One will be able to dive into a new version of the game--featuring all content from both expansions and game updates--which has been redesigned for playability on consoles. Ported over by Paradox Arctic, the Complete Edition will mark the first time the series has made its way onto non-PC platforms on August 29. During E3 2017 last week, we got a brief hands-on with it, and we saw just how much of an overhaul was needed to make this title work on consoles.

For the uninitiated, Pillars of Eternity takes place in the world of Eora, a land resembling the early-renaissance period, but populated with monsters and other magical beings. In a region of the world known as the Eastern Reach, the area is in constant political turmoil with several empires and organizations in conflict with each other. Playing as The Watcher, a nameless and unknown character with a past and future of your own making, they will soon find themselves right in the middle of the conflict between the nations and must decide the best way to navigate the Eastern Reach, all while banding together a party of unique characters who have their own views on how the world should be.

In development for a little over 10 months, Paradox Arctic certainly had its work cut out for them. As a computer role-playing game, Pillars of Eternity wears its keyboard and mouse setup--and its overall 'PC-ness'--on its sleeve, and the developers working on the port had to redesign much of the game to accommodate the more limited play-style with controller pads. On consoles, all movement is controlled by the left stick, while actions and other context sensitive options are on the shoulder and face buttons. A new radial menu is also available for players, which covers much of your needs while on your adventure. Despite these changes to the UI and control scheme, many of the more obscure PC features still remain. For instance, disabling companion AI is still available, giving players complete control over all party members' moves. Moreover, cursor control is still possible, and with a quick button press, players can still use the CRPG staple to engage objects and examine the environment.

The control setup is largely similar to how Torment: Tides Of Numenera's console port turned out, which is very much a good thing. Playability is important in CRPG titles such as this, which is very much akin to bundling up with a good book when you get into it, so it's refreshing to see that the changes make for a pleasant experience on controllers. Despite the switch to a different platform, Pillars still retains its PC roots, which is very much what Pillars of Eternity was all about. Speaking with the folks from Paradox, they stated that many of these were a necessity, given the obvious change to platform. The primary goal they wanted to achieve was the ease of use and comfort. An Isometric CRPG title on consoles are few and far between, mostly on account of how niche the genre is, but also due to the fact that redesigning the game to work on controllers is something of a huge undertaking.

Fortunately, the small portion of Pillars I got to play on Xbox One was surprisingly smooth. The console port felt very much like its own thing that worked to coalesce many options and features that scattered throughout the keyboard like inventory and status management, along with skills and other traits. Though they use every button on the controller pad, it still felt more compact and easy to get into compared to the original PC version. Which will definitely be appreciated. With its release coming soon, August 29, it'll be available surprisingly soon, and I look forward to having more people experience one of Obsidian's best games in years.

For more info on Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, be sure to watch this space. But if you're looking for more info on Pillars of Eternity II, then check out my impressions from E3 2017.

Rev

Arcane
Who the fuck cares if they port this to console? Stop the fucking bitching. Console fags don't get to see good RPGs that often.
It's a fucking useless waste of money. We already know how these kind of games do on consoles: they sell almost nothing because consoletards don't care about these low-budget rpgs and only want AAA popamole shit (sometimes done right as in TW3, but mostly shit like TES and Fallout 3/4).
We've already seen how inXile's T:ToN failed terribly, selling nothing on consoles and very little on PC because fans were fed up with their bulshits, and it all started with the goddamn console port. Obsidian would be wise not to follow that road and lose their last remaining supporters, but if they want to chase the console markets and fail terribly at that (since that's what will happen) then they're free to do it and then raise like 500k at their next crowdfunding campaign instead of 4+ millions.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Its about design compromises to make a game playable on a console. If Obsidian keeps making games for the PC and Paradox engineers them for the consoles then its fine. If Obsidian needs to build UI's that will work for both platforms or decide to limit the quality of textures or whatnot because they will not be usable on consoles then you get Torment.

edit: Some of the design decisions for PoE2 (smaller party, per encounter spells) look like they would help the console crowd. I wonder what else they plan to streamline.

Deleted member 7219

Its about design compromises to make a game playable on a console. If Obsidian keeps making games for the PC and Paradox engineers them for the consoles then its fine. If Obsidian needs to build UI's that will work for both platforms or decide to limit the quality of textures or whatnot because they will not be usable on consoles then you get Torment.

Torment was a case of bad design decisions. Console had little to do with it.

Quillon

Arcane
It's a fucking useless waste of money. We already know how these kind of games do on consoles: they sell almost nothing because consoletards don't care about these low-budget rpgs and only want AAA popamole shit (sometimes done right as in TW3, but mostly shit like TES and Fallout 3/4).
We've already seen how inXile's T:ToN failed terribly, selling nothing on consoles and very little on PC because fans were fed up with their bulshits, and it all started with the goddamn console port. Obsidian would be wise not to follow that road and lose their last remaining supporters, but if they want to chase the console markets and fail terribly at that (since that's what will happen) then they're free to do it and then raise like 500k at their next crowdfunding campaign instead of 4+ millions.

Hold your horses. This is paradox written all over it, they are porting it & taking the risk and if they manage to make the controls work it'll be...good to know :D Wait & worry only when and if it is successful :P I wouldn't tho.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I mean, not like I care anymore at this point, but if Numenera is anything to go by I fear this is going to be a money pit for Obsidian they could very well do without.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They think console gamers want to squint at their oversized TV's for all those loredumps?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a third party port job, who cares.

Thanks, Infinitron.

Obvious answer. Pillars 2 is more suitable for a console port because it has a smaller party size and slower combat, though.

Fry

Arcane
If (very big if) PoE1 actually sells a lot on console, there will be a ton of incentive to release Deadfire simultaneously on all platforms though.

At this point we don't even know if Paradox is publishing Deadfire, so... ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And per encounter spells (no spell-book management).

Wonder when those design decisions were made.

That's rather conspiratorial. A spellbook management interface is functionally the same as a grid-based inventory interface and that's still in. Also PoE2 still has spellbooks with different spells in them that you can browse through, you just can't take spells in and out.

If (very big if) PoE1 actually sells a lot on console, there will be a ton of incentive to release Deadfire simultaneously on all platforms though.

As much incentive as Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Fairfax

Arcane
They'll claim PoE2's casualization had nothing to do with consoles, but they obviously knew about this well in advance, and Feargus didn't rule out console ports during the Fig campaign.

:slamdunk:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think a year's worth of work (10 months + until the end of August) for marginal sales was a waste. Infinitron is surprisingly right for once, since D:OS2 isn't launching on consoles immediately then PoE2 probably won't as well. Larian have first-hand experience with the sales numbers, but at least they gave us the EE for PCs, too. It is suspicious that they've reduced the party size and other casualizations though.

Rev

Arcane
Thanks, Infinitron.

Of course he says that. It's not like he could say "lol no, we've taken your money and now we'll design the game for consoletards, and by the way fuck you :)".

I believe the game will come out only for PC, at least at release, but this porting is just a bad news, there's nothing to be happy about this shit: if it turns out good the port will fail hard like every other console port of this kind of games, they'll lose money over it and be wiser in the future, while if it turns out to be quite successful despite all (not likely but still), then we'll have a multiplatform PoE3 dumbed down for consoletards. In either case we gain nothing, at best we're left where we were before, but having to see a shitty, useless console porting that didn't need to exist, maybe it will evenl get some idiots play it and then complain to Obsidian about good features that don't need to be removed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a fucking useless waste of money.
Why do you care if Paradox wastes money again?
I believe the game will come out only for PC, at least at release, but this porting is just a bad news,
there's nothing to be happy about this shit: if it turns out good the port will fail hard like every other console port of this kind of games, they'll lose money over it
Do you care about Paradox losing money?

while if it turns out to be quite successful despite all (not likely but still), then we'll have a multiplatform PoE3 dumbed down for consoletards.
If that will be the case, we can move on to other good RPGs, it's not like we don't have several good ones in each year.

In either case we gain nothing, at best we're left where we were before,
Exactly, so what is the problem again?

jaydee2k

Savant
You have to be insane when you think about playing Pillars on a console. My god they lost it.
Don't drop the ball on POE 2 Josh, you hear me !:argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom