Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PatataFamilia

Novice
Specifically what they howled at was enemies being smarter than what they were used to. A lot of people maxed health and armor on their tanks and ignored damage. Even worse, they would put full cloth on wizards and ignore defensive feats and spells (which is only viable with a highly knowledgeable or skilled at micro player). It could be even worse in WM if you chose the plate armor that gave you more armor at the cost of speed. The enemies would ignore the awesome tank and swarm casters, then chip away at the tank once everyone else was dead.

The game sends subtle signals (defensive spells like grimoire slam are a thing) that you should do this. Then more obvious ones (Aloth's armor is leather). Then it kills you for using bad strategy (and tactics). At least with door fighting you're using tactics if not strategy. (Door fighting is also not that viable in WM1 & 2.) What it really needs is even better signalling when it breaks genre conventions, like maybe having characters literally say:
Aloth: "They're cutting through my armor like it's made of soft cloth."
Bandit A: "It's not working! Hit the mages."
Aloth (on revive): "I need to research some defense spells."

They already do this when your weapon isn't breaking through an opponent's armor.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
True, true. NWN1 had the best melee animations by far. Only issue is that the "dance of death" changes location of combatants, who circle each other, making tactical precise positioning next to impossible.

Still, I loved it. And was seriously disgusted with NWN2 animations (if they can be called that way, after NWN1 it was more a case of lack thereof).

Wth happened to the animations in NWN2 btw? Isn't it based on the same engine?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
It was a different(Overhauled?) engine. NwN1 was on Aurora, while NwN2 was on Electron or something like this. In NwN1 maps were modular as fuck, but even a total noob could make a great location with aurora tools. NwN2 tools were much harder to use and haven't really looked that much better in comparison to NwN1. For me it was a downgrade of sorts.

That is why NwN1 got so many great modules while NwN2 does not.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
True, true. NWN1 had the best melee animations by far. Only issue is that the "dance of death" changes location of combatants, who circle each other, making tactical precise positioning next to impossible.

Still, I loved it. And was seriously disgusted with NWN2 animations (if they can be called that way, after NWN1 it was more a case of lack thereof).

For one thing, Obsidian removed the "dance of death" entirely from NWN2. Making positioning tactics more viable, but at the same time making combat look like shit. Now two opponents stand next to each other and the main way to see if they are attacking is to see floating numbers above their heads. And MAYBE particle 'splosions from elemental weapon bursts. Generally they also managed to provide far inferior animations to pretty much all spell effects.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was a different(Overhauled?) engine. NwN1 was on Aurora, while NwN2 was on Electron or something like this. From what I'm reading - Obsidian overhauled AuroraNWN1 engine maps were modular as fuck, but even a total noob could make a great location with aurora tools. NwN2 tools were much harder to use and haven't really looked that much better in comparison to NwN1. For me it was a downgrade of sorts.

Its not entirely a downgrade, but the changes, propertiary animation tools and complicated terrain sculpting did limit the creative possibilities of amateurs.
Static graphics - especially the environments, interior decorations, but also character and monster models were greatly improved, as Lilura has shown.
But animations... oh boy... that was a huge downgrade. For many actions there simply aren't any animations worth mentioning. And NWN1 was very well animated.

Also the GUI became stylized, heavy and cumbersome (guess they went for the BG look), rather then the awesome clean, minimal and transparent look of NWN1 GUI I loved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is good shit. Why don't they edit out the individual interviews and upload them to YouTube where people can actually find them?

A transcript is good too

Pillars of Eternity II Lets You Run Your Own Pirate Ship

The second Pillars of Eternity is aiming to be the Baldur’s Gate II to Pillars of Eternity’s Baldur’s Gate. And if that line makes no sense to you, here’s another selling point: It’ll let you helm your own pirate ship.

Last week at E3, I watched a brief demo of Pillars of Eternity II and spent some time talking to its executive producer and lead programmer, Adam Brennecke, for Kotaku Splitscreen. You can listen to that episode in full here, or read a partial (lightly edited) transcript below.

Jason Schreier: What have been the challenges this time around? I’ve heard some of the challenges you guys ran into for the first game.

Adam Brennecke: It’s actually surprisingly smooth sailing. Which is kind of a— It’s smooth sailing because we have a lot of ships. Oh man. That’s terrible.

Schreier: Oh god. Podcast over.

Brennecke: Surprisingly, it’s going really, really well. We have two more months of production, and at that point we’re in alpha, and once we reach alpha, we’re really going to play the heck out of the game to see where we’re at.

Schreier: You’re targeting next year?

Brennecke: We’re targeting early next year. We’re getting to the polish stage of the project. And I feel like all of our work from the first game and all of the rework we’ve done on the second game will really pay dividends in the next year.

Schreier: Can you give me a sense of the timeline? When did you guys actually start working on the game?

Brennecke: We started serious work right after The White March Part 2shipped, which was last March or February. That’s when pre-production really got rolling. We were in pre-pre-production before that. We had the idea of the Deadfire [archipelago, where the game is set], and we were starting to work on the high-level details of the story and stuff like that, but we didn’t really get hardcore into development until March of last year. And we entered production in probably September of last year.

Schreier: So before the Fig even launched?

Brennecke: Yeah. We were dead-set on making the game even without the Fig. I think the Fig was to make the game bigger and better.

Schreier: If that hadn’t succeeded, it still would’ve happened?

Brennecke: Yeah. I think we were confident that it was gonna succeed. I think we have a hungry fan base. And then we’re entering post-production in August.

Schreier: It’s really rapidly coming out. Has it really been smooth?

Brennecke: There haven’t really been a lot of hurdles. Something we’ve been reworking and working on quite a bit now is the ship. We want to make sure that it’s integrated into the game. We want to make sure that it’s not just something you don’t really have to deal with, or if you do have to deal with, it’s not a pain in the butt.

We want to make sure the ship and all the roles that the ship have fit in with the story and fit in with the rest of the game. So we’ve been working on that since the Fig campaign pretty hardcore. And we have a really really cool crew system that we’ve been working on, and ship-to-ship combat and stuff like that.

Schreier: Have you guys played the Suikoden games? Because they went from having strongholds in 1-3 to having a ship in Suikoden IV. But that was actually the worst game in the series. So bad news... But that was actually a cool concept. Are you gonna be able to recruit people?

Brennecke: Yeah, you have a ship crew. You have to go around and recruit pirates and other sailors. They have roles to play on your ship.

Schreier: Wow, this is the third game at E3 that has pirates in it.

Brennecke: It’s a popular thing. You have your ship and you can upgrade your ship in many ways. And you’re not the only sea captain in the Deadfire of course—there’s other factions and other captains.

Schreier: You mentioned ship-to-ship combat? Is that a totally different combat system?

Brennecke: Yeah, we’re taking advantage of our scripted interactions.

Schreier: By scripted interactions you mean the storybook?

Brennecke: It’s the text, the storybook moments. It’ll play out like that. However, if you get close enough you can ram the other ship and then take it over and board it. And then it goes into actual gameplay.

Schreier: Sounds really cool.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

This is good shit. Why don't they edit out the individual interviews and upload them to YouTube where people can actually find them?

A transcript is good too

FWIW, the interview is ~30 minutes long (starts roughly at the 35 minute mark on that podcast), so the transcript they provided is a very, very small piece of it. :)

Prime Junta

Kind of sounds like the game is more or less done already if they are in polish mode.

Development doesn't work like that. They're two months away from alpha. Getting from that to "more or less done" is still a big effort even in the best case.

Still, they had way fewer unknowns this time around, so a relatively painless alpha and beta is possible.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

A transcript is good too

Great interview but holy hell, I couldn't sound more gay than the interviewer if I tried. Do people speak like that somewhere in the US or is it just kotaku?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillon

Arcane
New update recapping e3: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=399#updates

Update #35 - The E3 2017 Wrap-Up
POSTED: 06/21/2017
Hello, everyone! As promised in our last update, we're back from E3 and have some things to share. You may remember we hinted at an epic video, and we brought just that along! Deadfire Game Director, Josh Sawyer and Executive Producer, Adam Brennecke, had a chance to join the IGN crew on their stage at the E3 conference hall and show off extended Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire gameplay for the first time ever!

We'll be diving into the details of that video in next week's update, so be sure to come back and join Adam as he discusses what he and Josh showed in the video above, along with additional information for you.

Speaking of Adam, he also got a chance to sit down with Jason Schreier over at Kotaku to record a segment for their E3 podcast. The interview with Adam starts at 35:26 if you'd like to skip ahead to it.

As for Josh, he sat down with Rich Scott-Jones of PCGamesN and talked more about Deadfire with him in a video interview:

But wait, there's more! Josh and Adam also did interviews with both GameSpot and Bleeding Cool, so be sure to check those out. Not only that, we showed Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire behind closed doors at E3 to various publications across the internet. For those of you that want to do some deeper reading, all of the other articles are posted below:

A very good showing for Deadfire this year!

Oh, Just One More Thing
We are very excited to announce that Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One thanks to our friends over at Paradox Arctic!

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition will be available on PS4 and Xbox One on August 29th, 2017!

That's all for this update. Thanks for hanging out with us. Once again, join us next week when Adam dives into the video we shared with IGN and gives you some early information on the Captain's Dilemmas, the open world map, and more!

Be sure to join the conversation and our community over on our forums.

Of the links only multiplayer.it seems worthwhile other than the ones already posted here tho ultimately no new info.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
What the hell is PoE Complete Edition?

They ported PoE1 to consoles?

Jesus christ, a lot of design decisions for PoE2 suddenly make sense. Console version 100% confirmed.

Fuck this company. I'm done with Obsidian.

Quillon

Arcane
Come back to me in 3 years when PoE3 multiplat gets announced and they go for all the console retards shekels and the PC version is a port. You'll probably defend them when that time comes anyway.

PoE3 will be an awesome 3rd action console game! :D :D :D

Hyperion

Arcane
And Pallegina will be a forced protagonist. The only visual customization you get is the style of weave she wears. Oh, the humanity!

Relax Chicken Little, releasing a game 2 - 3 years later to get some bonus money from those console retards helps fund Sawyer's suddenly beloved autistic game design. I doubt Sawyer is anywhere near the level of snake that Fargo is.

Rev

Arcane

Deadfire is a PC exclusive now. It's obvious Feargus is eager to port the game on consoles if he thinks it will sell well enough.
TheSentinel is actually right in complaining for once, they didn't need to pull this shit. I'll be on alert for other signs of decline from now.

I hope the console ports fail even harder than T:ToN by the way and whoever came up with this retarded idea to be fired, hopefully they'll learn the hard way not to fuck things up.

Relax Chicken Little, releasing a game 2 - 3 years later to get some bonus money from those console retards helps fund Sawyer's suddenly beloved autistic game design. I doubt Sawyer is anywhere near the level of snake that Fargo is.
Even if you're right, Sawyer doesn't have any decisional power at Obsidian. If Feargus wants to bring the game to consoles, the game gets ported to consoles. That's it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jesus christ, a lot of design decisions for PoE2 suddenly make sense. Console version 100% confirmed.

What design decisions are those? Curious, haven't followed what have been said about it.

Sizzle

Arcane
In case there was any doubt this was all Paradox's brilliant marketing scheme (gotta nab those precious dozen people aching to play this game on consoles :D ):

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It won't sell. It's not TB like Numenera and there are more characters to control. I honestly can't imagine how you'd not go crazy trying to play PoE on a controller.

Quillon

Arcane

What design decisions are those? Curious, haven't followed what have been said about it.

Nothing big.

Party is down to 4.

Combat is now turn based.

They are shifting focus from combat to writing, they are targeting over 1.2M words.

There'll be max 20 combat encounters in the whole game. Every one of them solvable through dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom