Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Exhuminator

Arcane
the Switch is a glorified port machine with 1 original IP (Arms) that only came out yesterday
This really is the deal. 95% of the releases (including upcoming releases) I've seen for the Switch are just ports. As of today, I simply don't need to buy a Switch to play the vast majority of its library. That's just not moving my dollars Reggie. Yes there's two available physical exclusives... Arms and 1-2 Switch. Neither of those games are interesting to me. Arms looks fucking retarded (just as Splatoon is fucking retarded) and 1-2 Switch is probably fun for all of five minutes. Now there are possibly some decent exclusives on the way; Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Super Mario Odyssey. But those aren't here yet, so the impetus to buy a Switch just isn't there personally. I'll likely wait till the thing is dead and just pick up the decent first party exclusives like I did with the Wii U.

Yes unfortunately I have a growing suspicion the Switch is going to be the Wii U all over again. Primarily because third party developers are resistant to producing Switch exclusive games when they don't know for sure they'll get their return. The problem is this becomes a negative feedback loop. The Switch needs strong third party exclusives (in addition to its first party ones) to become popular, but third party developers need a strong system to quell their investment fears. This Catch-22 scenario is part of what assraped the Wii U, and it's already happening again with the Switch. Nintendo needs to work triple time to convince third party developers the Switch is worth their investment. And Nintendo needs to get this Switch stock situation sorted out post haste as well.

Don't take this as me saying I want the Switch to fail. To the contrary; I'd love for Nintendo to get their shit together and have a best selling handheld-console hybrid on their hands. I want to see a Switch library full of interesting exclusives and tons of variety. Maybe it'll happen. Probably it won't.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Switch will already sell truckloads because of the 3 games zelda + mario odyssey + prime 4 ,they don't even need 3rd party developers.

Having Halo or another Microsoft travesty on Switch would certainly not affect my purchase of Switch. Zelda and Odyssey play awesome because they are inhouse Nintendo production, so one can assume Prime 4 will follow.

Essentialy currently you buy Switch for those 3 games, just like you would buy a PS4 for Persona 5 (which some did).

And as Switch just started it life and it having more good games than xbone or ps4, one can assume that 4 years from now it will have even more good nintendo games.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The Switch was a handheld for a reason. Nintendo don't make their consoles for Americans; there's simply more money in mobile gaming than home consoles, so they made a handheld with about the power of previous gen consoles, that can look like a home console to Americans.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
"Switch will sell truckloads because port 1, 3D Mario (which has historically not pushed units), and niche FPS"

Lol

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The thing wasn't built for American gamers, switch was made to lock down on the mobile market in Japan. Its a handheld with a dock, so it looks like a home console when Nintendo like it to, ie probably for western retail.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
The thing wasn't built for American gamers, switch was made to lock down on the mobile market in Japan. Its a handheld with a dock, so it looks like a home console when Nintendo like it to, ie probably for western retail.

I dunno about all that. The 3DS has been doing very well, and I believe it still is. Nintendo is trying to get into the mobile market, clearly, with all their recent mobile games. So I doubt they want to overshadow those titles. I genuinely believe that Nintendo is just very old fashioned and misguided and routinely makes shit decisions. The Switch may have been their best selling console of all time (at launch), but really that's not an indicator that it's going to continue to do well.

IF ANYTHING, they've over-saturated the handheld market at this point but choosing to continue supporting the 3DS systems while also supporting the Switch, which makes me think they see the Switch as more of a home console than a handheld.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Honestly i don't know if there is a market for handhelds at all.We leave in times of rapid hardware and software improvements.By today standards NSwitch is far underpowered for third parties to have any interest in it,let alone a few years down the line.Even xbone and the piss station have to push out new generation of consoles because developers are constantly complaining about how weak their machines are.Even their upgraded versions are equal to tree years old pc.As for NSwitch i ma certain that i could run its games better on my black market Chinese replica Iphone 7 that i paid 100 euro for it,if they have been emulated.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
IF ANYTHING, they've over-saturated the handheld market at this point but choosing to continue supporting the 3DS systems while also supporting the Switch, which makes me think they see the Switch as more of a home console than a handheld.
Eh, I don't see the two competing, at least no more than iphones and ipads. The Switch is substantially more powerful, newer, the familiar IPs; the other a library of games greater than the sum of Man's knowledge, to the pit of his fears. For the time being, the 3ds obviously snug in the handheld niche, but they'll phase it out.

Honestly i don't know if there is a market for handhelds at all.We leave in times of rapid hardware and software improvements.By today standards NSwitch is far underpowered for third parties to have any interest in it,let alone a few years down the line.Even xbone and the piss station have to push out new generation of consoles because developers are constantly complaining about how weak their machines are.Even their upgraded versions are equal to tree years old pc.As for NSwitch i ma certain that i could run its games better on my black market Chinese replica Iphone 7 that i paid 100 euro for it,if they have been emulated.
Nintendo built a console once, the Gamecube they called it. It was more powerful than the ps2, almost to par with xbox, and nobody bought it. Then came the puny Wii, and, for whatever reason, it did gangbusters. Not so the WiiU, which was just a Wii that looked portable, but wasn't - not in this or any other dimension. So Nintendo make a WiiU that's actually portable, and lo and behold it sells. They use old tech to pull off surprise hits, compounding the net gains. Nobody thought the GameBoy could compete with the other, better handhelds, let alone bury them so deep in obscurity you don't remember them, but here we are. So, yeah, the bleeding edge: it cuts both ways.

Drakron

Arcane
Nintendo built a console once, the Gamecube they called it. It was more powerful than the ps2, almost to par with xbox, and nobody bought it. Then came the puny Wii, and, for whatever reason, it did gangbusters.

Well, here is the thing ...

The GC used a proprietary disc format as it might been a miniDVD but it was still not as easy as a DVD, a large part of the Playstation success was due to publishers not wanting to be stuck with Nintendo controlling the distribution method.

The PS2 was a runaway success in part because it was a affordable DVD player, the CG was neither capable of that and the Xbox had the XBox Live service as well working as a DVD player, the reason why the PS3 and the Xbox 360 continued down the multimedia player path was because of that is what the PlS2 and Xbox had a large part of their success build upon.

Now the Wii success was because Sony blunders with the PS3 and the XBox 360 have problems with getting publishers to make games for them, they got better in part because they ended up in a draw with the Wii ahead but ... the Wii suffered from a problem that continues, Nintendo first party titles do sell but 3rd party titles dont perform well and because as the PC/PS3/Xbox 360 shared many similarities it was reasonable easy to port titles for those 3 platforms, the Wii was a entirely different beast requiring to pretty much build a entirely new game or at the very least to redesign the entire control scheme to work with motion sensors.

I am not going to buy a Edge so I can play Breath of the Wild.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
cat.gif

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Nintendo built a console once, the Gamecube they called it. It was more powerful than the ps2, almost to par with xbox, and nobody bought it. Then came the puny Wii, and, for whatever reason, it did gangbusters.

Well, here is the thing ...

The GC used a proprietary disc format as it might been a miniDVD but it was still not as easy as a DVD, a large part of the Playstation success was due to publishers not wanting to be stuck with Nintendo controlling the distribution method.

The PS2 was a runaway success in part because it was a affordable DVD player, the CG was neither capable of that and the Xbox had the XBox Live service as well working as a DVD player, the reason why the PS3 and the Xbox 360 continued down the multimedia player path was because of that is what the PlS2 and Xbox had a large part of their success build upon.

Now the Wii success was because Sony blunders with the PS3 and the XBox 360 have problems with getting publishers to make games for them, they got better in part because they ended up in a draw with the Wii ahead but ... the Wii suffered from a problem that continues, Nintendo first party titles do sell but 3rd party titles dont perform well and because as the PC/PS3/Xbox 360 shared many similarities it was reasonable easy to port titles for those 3 platforms, the Wii was a entirely different beast requiring to pretty much build a entirely new game or at the very least to redesign the entire control scheme to work with motion sensors.

I am not going to buy a Edge so I can play Breath of the Wild.
I get it. I wouldn't buy it either, but they aren't making games for "us." My point is, Nintendo don't ride the bleeding edge of graphics, they build consoles on "withered tech," which cost a fraction of their competitors' hardware. Their revenue isn't shred by costs, because they play a conservative game; they don't need to be best to profit.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Telling me to neck myself doesn't make Breath of the Wild's performance any better you fucking idiot. I have 70 hours in that game. It needs polish.

I was telling you to neck yourself because you're defending a false point (BotW always runs at 15fps) with isolated instances of shit performance, which plagues all shitty console games.

Have you played recently post patch?

flyingjohn

Arcane
The biggest thing stopping the switch from selling is Nintendo's new "we make a very small amount of consoles,and if those sell we make some more"policy.
They did the same thing with the nes classic,but there it made sense since it was just a side project.
I have a feeling that there will be shortages before and during the holidays.
God knows how much the switch would actually sell if Nintendo would make more then 8 million units per year.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nintendo built a console once, the Gamecube they called it. It was more powerful than the ps2, almost to par with xbox, and nobody bought it. Then came the puny Wii, and, for whatever reason, it did gangbusters. Not so the WiiU, which was just a Wii that looked portable, but wasn't - not in this or any other dimension. So Nintendo make a WiiU that's actually portable, and lo and behold it sells. They use old tech to pull off surprise hits, compounding the net gains. Nobody thought the GameBoy could compete with the other, better handhelds, let alone bury them so deep in obscurity you don't remember them, but here we are. So, yeah, the bleeding edge: it cuts both ways.
Yeah i agree with you mate but this days we have powerful phones and a lot of mobile games.It is redundant to buy pricey console when a phone could fulfil the same purpose even better.There is a lot variety in the mobile games market,also they are easily pirated.While the switch sold like 2.5 millions and there is still no decent game lineup for it,most likely there won't be one.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah i agree with you mate but this days we have powerful phones and a lot of mobile games.It is redundant to buy pricey console when a phone could fulfil the same purpose even better.There is a lot variety in the mobile games market,also they are easily pirated.While the switch sold like 2.5 millions and there is still no decent game lineup for it,most likely there won't be one.

Yea but on a phone you won't play the switch exclusives, and it's all about exclusives.

TC Jr

Scholar
Wish I wasn't a poorfag as I'd like to get one. Agreed with op that regardless of your opinion on the games, they're gameplay heavy. Only thing I'm disappointed in is lack of difficulty in the new 3D Mario's, feels like the mechanics have been stripped back as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He's not even wrong tho

Nintendo's strength is that they have 25/50 of the best selling video games and the industry's flat out most valuable ips. Nothing really comes close except GTA and very recently the elder scrolls. And the Elder Scrolls games only have one game that really set the world on fire.
You do know that zelda have emulation on pc?Also most of nintendo games are not even games to be honest.Nintendo sells but they have like 5 IPs.They just repeat the same shit over and over and over.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I never said that they are not making money,although they could be loosing money,with corporations you could never know if they are in bankruptcy or they are making a lot of money.Both the switch have pretty low sales and the hype is dying out fast.I personally don't see much of future for the switch.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Yeah i agree with you mate but this days we have powerful phones and a lot of mobile games.It is redundant to buy pricey console when a phone could fulfil the same purpose even better.
No True Console is worth any price, so you are redundant to argue from material advantage :obviously:

While the switch sold like 2.5 millions and there is still no decent game lineup for it,most likely there won't be one.
Bro, we aren't "their" gamers - of course we don't give a shit! Do you think the Japs and wiiaboos in a frenzy over new Prime, Appropriation Mario, and that forgettable exclusive - or two - have liberated their minds by the Light we bring them here today?

N don't bank on West, cuz alls Nip think weez inferor, see?
sYwfTyL.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah i agree with you mate but this days we have powerful phones and a lot of mobile games.It is redundant to buy pricey console when a phone could fulfil the same purpose even better.
No True Console is worth any price, so you are redundant to argue from material advantage :obviously:

While the switch sold like 2.5 millions and there is still no decent game lineup for it,most likely there won't be one.
Bro, we aren't "their" gamers - of course we don't give a shit! Do you think the Japs and wiiaboos in a frenzy over new Prime, Appropriation Mario, and that forgettable exclusive - or two - have liberated their minds by the Light we bring them here today?

N don't bank on West, cuz alls Nip think weez inferor, see?
sYwfTyL.jpg
Well i do agree with the japs,all nintendo fanboys are inferior!

Machocruz

Arcane
Yea but on a phone you won't play the switch exclusives, and it's all about exclusives.
:nocountryforshitposters:

He's not even wrong tho

Nintendo's strength is that they have 25/50 of the best selling video games and the industry's flat out most valuable ips. Nothing really comes close except GTA and very recently the elder scrolls. And the Elder Scrolls games only have one game that really set the world on fire.

BTW, Metroid is not among them, so people can stop thinking Prime 4 is going to do anything for Nintendo. Only in the fishbowl of the "gaming community" does this series have any weight. It would take a major overhaul, conceptually and aesthetically, to become a major player. I can expand on this, but let's say that mass tastes aren't all that flexible.

And it's all about what they do with those ips. What kind of exclusives. What kind of exclusives the market wants and the kind it rejects. And by market I mean the real world, the people with the Switch next door, not the insular echo chambers that are forums and YT comments section. The latter would have you believe that Super Mario Sunshine was some misunderstood masterpiece (some probably even think it was a big hit. For a mainline Mario game: it wasn't), that Nintendo should be spending time and money making a sequel. While I wouldn't say the market 'rejected' that game wholesale, it wasn't the right use of the ip to push the system then, and it probably wouldn't be now, contrary to the current swell of revisionism I've seen around the game in the past few years. Water jetpack was p. cool though.

Fans of a thing seem to forget that (aside from them being merely a loud minority) taste is subjective and come up with all these other answers to explain the success or failure of something, when the simplest answer might be that the games they thought were good, or will be good, are not. And since games sell systems, well...

Maybe the GC didn't do all that great because the games were bad, or nowhere near as good as PS2 games. Who's to say? Why is that not a possibility, at least in the eyes of the larger market? This is what we do here at the Codex. Not only allow for this possibility but outright say "Yeah that game that everyone on IGN raved about is actually trash, here's why..."

"Art is subjective"...only when the same people who say such things want it to be, I've noticed.

PS. Never will I even contemplate this possibility for Oblivion or Fallout 3. They are objectively and literally shit.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Wish I wasn't a poorfag as I'd like to get one. Agreed with op that regardless of your opinion on the games, they're gameplay heavy. Only thing I'm disappointed in is lack of difficulty in the new 3D Mario's, feels like the mechanics have been stripped back as well.

Not a poorfag and I don't see any reason to get a switch. More mario and zelda? I've played too many of those games already, I don't need more of the same. Monster Hunter World will be on PC so that's less reason to get a switch, and Golden Sun 4 isn't happening, so there goes the last real excuse I would have to need one.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Well i do agree with the japs,all nintendo fanboys are inferior!
Drinking soy and eating rice have shrunken their testicles, paving the way for anime, Nintendo, and karate. The transformation is complete.

If I gave a shit, I'd buy Japanese over the SJW churning their AAA filth, because Japan's still too traditional, and skeptical of Americanism, to kowtow - not just yet, anyway. Thing is, I can't bring myself to spend on gaming, and there's no spare time to do it when I could be shitposting with my bros.

It would take a major overhaul, conceptually and aesthetically, to become a major player. I can expand on this, but let's say that mass tastes aren't all that flexible.
Flexible... You mean like in accommodating all genders? Samus stronk, alone womyn!

Metroid has virtually no following in Japan, then combine that with a first-person? This game is getting made just to use the IP. Everyone needs to know this, because the Jap effrontery to gamers' is now an unbearable outrage. Why can't Nintendo be like Western developers? AAAs are always innovating and making new games; but when they do resurrect IPs, they're spiritually congruous with the material and very gentle to the corpse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom