Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Uncharted 4

Deleted member 7219

More Uncharted is fine by me, and Chloe is probably the best character in the series (after Nate).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So you play as Muslim woman in the Middle-East? Looking forward to the level where the main character is sentenced to death by stoning for talking to man who's not her husband, and you have to dodge stones with quicktime events.

orcinator

Liturgist
I finally watched some guy play U4 for a while.

Holy fuck, you need to go through like an hour of cutscenes and sciptastic unfailable platforming that might as well have been a cutscene to earn the privilege of playing "gears of war with shit guns but you can jump" for 15 minutes.

People say this is a great game and that is fucking terrifying.

Ivan

Arcane
Agreed. I remember playing Uncharted 2 and just skipping all of the cutscenes. It's just Gears of War. The online was dumb fun though. I liked being able to do the shitty bunny hop/

Tehdagah

Arcane
Looks more gamey than I thought it would be, but Chloe ass isn't as juicy as it was in Uncharted 2 :mrfussy:

TC Jr

Scholar
Never understood the appeal of this series, arguing with a cunt in work about how it's pointless to even be a game in the first place.

Ash

Arcane
My GF came home with this. We played through it together. It's a shit game, and an OK movie. Would be a better movie if it were actually a movie, and would be a better game if the gameplay weren't rather mediocre and was at the forefront.
Recommendation: avoid.

orcinator

Liturgist
honestly there's a neat little gameplay trick with uncharted 1/2.

if you shoot an enemy, they flinch, and if you punch them while they flinch, its an instant kill

if you spend all of your time running around flinchpunching enemies it's instantly more fun

this mechanic is deliberately never explained to the player for no reason

Do you have a trick for making the other half of the game stop playing itself?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This series of one of the best when it comes to cinematic action adventures. I'm not surprised that the Codex autists don't like them.

TC Jr

Scholar
This series of one of the best when it comes to cinematic action adventures. I'm not surprised that the Codex autists don't like them.
You're only talking about presentation, cinematic games can be done without the need of jepordising gameplay. Sad day when expecting gameplay in a game is considered autistic.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You're only talking about presentation, cinematic games can be done without the need of jepordising gameplay. Sad day when expecting gameplay in a game is considered autistic.
There is plenty of gameplay in the Uncharted games. I'm sorry if a 5 minute cutscene after every 30 minutes of shoting, climbing and fighting is too much for you people.

TC Jr

Scholar
There is plenty of gameplay in the Uncharted games. I'm sorry if a 5 minute cutscene after every 30 minutes of shoting, climbing and fighting is too much for you people.
Sorry I meant actual engaging mechanics, I've played UC 1 + 2 and not once did I feel engaged because the gameplay is so mundane to me, I'm doing a bad job of trying to explain it but take something like the original half life, that had cutscenes (sort of) but the gameplay was still solid and fairly difficult. Also I don't see how you could call these games action/adventure, action sure but there's no exploration, just linear corridors.

Ash

Arcane
The gameplay is utterly mediocre. About all that actually engages the brain is the occassional platforming segment that isn't truly piss-easy. No-standards manboons will still feel engaged by it though.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I played through all four games this month. They are good (except the first) for what they are - cinematic popcorn blockbuster without any big ambition. Characters are fun, setpieces are awesome, locations are beautiful. Gameplay is mediocre, but not boring.

However I am a bit disappointed that ND never addressed that central dumbness of having likeable characters that also happen to kill around 800 people in each game. Would it be so fucking hard to give me tranq gun and knockout-instead-of-necksnap, Naughty Dog? Come on.

Fourth game was particularly bad with this, since it actually played some human drama and characters looked more real than ever. Graphics is fucking beautiful, ND have fantastic artists and programmers:

DC_Cj55XkAAJcCy.jpg:large

DCjyi56WAAAvPxK.jpg:large

vonAchdorf

Arcane
However I am a bit disappointed that ND never addressed that central dumbness of having likeable characters that also happen to kill around 800 people in each game. Would it be so fucking hard to give me tranq gun and knockout-instead-of-necksnap, Naughty Dog? Come on.

You are getting soft. Likeable people mowing down brown people and Russians is a well-established trope.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane

You are getting soft. Likeable people mowing down brown people and Russians is a well-established trope.

what is uncharted 2 tho? This is a plot point, the main villain asks "nigga you aint no better than me you fucking genocidal fucker"
U2 was the only point in the franchise when they addressed it (first by doing nonlethal part in museum, then that Lazarevic line), but it was still dumb and halfcocked.
I firmly believe this series would be significantly better if stealth + nonlethal was a viable (but optional) playstyle throughout.

Paul_cz

Arcane

what is uncharted 2 tho? This is a plot point, the main villain asks "nigga you aint no better than me you fucking genocidal fucker"
U2 was the only point in the franchise when they addressed it (first by doing nonlethal part in museum, then that Lazarevic line), but it was still dumb and halfcocked.
I firmly believe this series would be significantly better if stealth + nonlethal was a viable (but optional) playstyle throughout.

Well it's pretty heavily based on pulp and pulp protagonists usually just murder murder murder all the way. I got kind of tired of reading old pulp shit because it was just the protagonist murdering the fuck out of everything
Yeah this is the defense devs use (Indiana Jones also killed people!) but I don't care, game would be better if playstyle was up to the player to decide.

Ash

Arcane
I despise this series of """""""""""games""""""""""""" and everything it represents, the glorification of un-game and people clapping and being bought by ND's smokes and mirrors.

This. So much this.

I will say though that ND's smoke and mirrors (cinematic style, acting etc) are very powerful. If I weren't a design obsessive and old school jaded gameplay fag I think I would have fell for it too. And just for the record the gameplay is (a little) better than many other not-games, though still very mediocre and for the masses of any level of intelligence and patience. I still fully recommend staying well away if you have any standards and expectations in gameplay.

Ash

Arcane
No it isn't. As many posters have mentioned, if you have any desire to play the game expecting good gameplay it doesn't do a lot right at all. And believe it or not AAA games can and should have good gameplay. Having QTE battles with Nadine or whatever the fuck she was called and participating in brainless semi-automated platforming, puzzles and mole-popping is not good gameplay.

orcinator

Liturgist
No it isn't. As many posters have mentioned, if you have any desire to play the game expecting good gameplay it doesn't do a lot right at all. And believe it or not AAA games can and should have good gameplay. Having QTE battles with Nadine or whatever the fuck she was called and participating in brainless semi-automated platforming, puzzles and mole-popping is not good gameplay.

As I said before, you dont need to popamole if you're doing it correctly. If you're not running and gunning and one-punching everyone like Doc Savage then you're playing the game wrong.

I mean that's not a boring as plying it the regular way, but you'll till be going through the same bland corridors (no having random crap explode in the background doesn't make the corridor any less bland) and fighting the same three enemies like in every other game made after 2006.
Plus, it's not like you can't run n gun in most other generic pop n squats as long as you memorize the enemy spawns or refrain from turning the difficulty up, it's just they sometimes have decent guns so you can just shoot stuff and not bother with the punching.

And again, playing "gears of war but you have a dodgeroll" is boring enough, but when the other half (or more) of the game makes Gone Home look fucking hardcore...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom