Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #11: Characters and Animation

Salvo

Arcane
anybody have any idea what the dude is saying starting at 3:17 in the video?

He says something that sounds liike "in kingmaker all the characters have ___________, not just the others" It sounds like he is saying 'lettuce' or maybe 'legs', but neither of those make any sense in context. I have listened to it maybe 10 times, I can't stop hearing 'lettuce', and I can't figure it out based on what he is talking about at the time (armor, breastplates) etc...

edt: oh, perhaps he is saying 'layers'? He was talking about layers of clothing and armor. If that is the case, I still don't know what 'not just the others' means. The other what? players, npc's, games? Are there games where some people have layers but not the player controlled character? I don't understand what that means.

I am probably obsessing too much about this..I just want to know what he said though.
layers, not letuce.
ogres, not others.
some nerd pathfinder humour I guess. peopel who swim in those circles seemed to understand the joke.

I think its from this:

Lettuce stop with this behavior. Let it be ogre now.

anybody have any idea what the dude is saying starting at 3:17 in the video?

He says something that sounds liike "in kingmaker all the characters have ___________, not just the others" It sounds like he is saying 'lettuce' or maybe 'legs', but neither of those make any sense in context. I have listened to it maybe 10 times, I can't stop hearing 'lettuce', and I can't figure it out based on what he is talking about at the time (armor, breastplates) etc...

edt: oh, perhaps he is saying 'layers'? He was talking about layers of clothing and armor. If that is the case, I still don't know what 'not just the others' means. The other what? players, npc's, games? Are there games where some people have layers but not the player controlled character? I don't understand what that means.

I am probably obsessing too much about this..I just want to know what he said though.
layers, not letuce.
ogres, not others.
some nerd pathfinder humour I guess. peopel who swim in those circles seemed to understand the joke.

I think its from this:

ah, okay. That makes sense, I guess. Never seen the movie, so I did not really know what he was trying to say.

Darkzone

Arcane
Ok, so i had a plenty of free time and replayed Rage of Mages 1+2 and Evil Islands half year ago and although i knew the story it still was pretty enjoyable. I see that these are the guys that worked on some those titles and even their graphic style similar to the Evil Islands one. So i'm really interesting in this game. Chris on board is just a bonus.

Also the setting might be interesting. As i get it Pathfinder derived from DnD 3.5?
Pathfinder(2009) is younger than DnD 3.5 (2003) and Paizo,s rights to use the system are from OGL 1.0 made 2003 or 2004. So yes it is derived from DnD 3.5.
DnD 3.0 and 3.5 had balancing issues and Paizo solved this good sometimes and sometimes bad, but nevertheless Pathfinder is a true DnD (not in name, but in system). Technically as WoC has released DnD 4E one year later Paizo has released Pathfinder, which became much more popular than DnD 4E.

PrettyDeadman

WTF, why can't they make crpg with Frank Frazetta style art??
b39218e2e62fbe67ddf29b3a0fa6454a.jpg

PrettyDeadman

My theory is because gamers.

Good fantasy art would always feature naked people, but nerds won't appreciate nakedness, they want to wears tons of kewl loot, they will complain that equipment system is garbage since they can't wear their +3 daedra chainmail and feel good about it. And all artstyles which focus on figures wearing as much kewl loot as possible are shit, because they are not focused on celebrating the beauty of human body and soul but on satisfying pathetic loot fetishists' sleezy powr fatasies.
Having said that Planescape torment tried to implement equipment system where you can't wear clothes only jewelry (Frank Frazetta art would fit that idea), but I don't think casual style game could pull that kind of equipment system off.

Last edited by a moderator:

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Think of Pathfinder as D&D 3.75. The base engine runs on 3.5 with a few core adjustments.

EDIT: The rules are free to use and available online, btw: www.d20pfsrd.com
Technically, think of D&D3.5 as D&D3.1e and of Pathfinder as D&D3.2e. WotC's stupid naming of its revision of D&D3e is a pet peeve of mine. Alas.

And while the above site is more conveniently structured, if anyone wanna know, the SRD's official web presence is at paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I am not sure guys if you are aware but the game studio making this game belongs to mail.ru (my.com) which is the biggest Russian gaming company, multi billions revenue, it's the same one that publishes Armored Warfare. You would see only a few backers from Russia on Kickstarter for this reason as usually players mistrust anything that comes from them. I am cautious about this game too as they don't need any of the money and this campaign is just PR. In Russian FB gamedev and PR groups there was a lot of discussion about all this, all kind of boling down to: "big corporations come to Kickstarter and ruin it all."

PrettyDeadman

I am not sure guys if you are aware but the game studio making this game belongs to mail.ru (my.com) which is the biggest Russian gaming company, multi billions revenue, it's the same one that publishes Armored Warfare. You would see only a few backers from Russia on Kickstarter for this reason as usually players mistrust anything that comes from them. I am cautious about this game too as they don't need any of the money and this campaign is just PR. In Russian FB gamedev and PR groups there was a lot of discussion about all this, all kind of boling down to: "big corporations come to Kickstarter and ruin it all."
It seems like a genuinely good game though.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
It seems like a genuinely good game though.
True and also, there is no information on what conditions Owlcat is a part of My.com. As for "seems a good game", in Russian there is a saying: promise doesn't mean marriage. I'd rather wait until the release since money is clearly no issue, no point of pre-ordering and/or supporting them tbh.

Quantomas

Savant
My.com is not committed to invest in Owlcat as my.com's business model is as of yet exclusively free-to-play.

I'd agree that they don't need more money from backers, as their funding is nearly secured and the game is not truly in need of stretch goals. Whether to back it now depends mostly on whether you want to see the stretch goals in the game.

skyst

Augur
This game's art is complete shit. That sword is straight out of a jRPG.
Embarrassing.

It is rather large, but it is faithful to Pathfinder's art style and established lore.

That's the barbarian "iconic" character and whenever she is featured in a module as a premade character, she's equipped with a large-sized bastard sword, large meaning that it's meant to be wielded by something in the same size category as an ogre (humans are considered medium size) and she takes a penalty to her hit rolls for swinging such a massive weapon. It comes off as jRPG rubbish but it really is meant to be retardedly big and she does pay for using such a weeb weapon.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Embarrassing.

It is rather large, but it is faithful to Pathfinder's art style and established lore.

That's the barbarian "iconic" character and whenever she is featured in a module as a premade character, she's equipped with a large-sized bastard sword, large meaning that it's meant to be wielded by something in the same size category as an ogre (humans are considered medium size) and she takes a penalty to her hit rolls for swinging such a massive weapon. It comes off as jRPG rubbish but it really is meant to be retardedly big and she does pay for using such a weeb weapon.

Exactly, she is represented in pretty much any Pathfinder rulebook as a barbarian archetype. Probably part of the recent fighting girl fad.

Rest of the artwork is decent.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I read the Reddit Q&A and it sounds pretty interesting with the brothels and sex goddesses and stuff. Potential for Good Shit with the sexy asian portrait companion. Could use some additional gore and I'm not sure if there's combat exp (which would be a good thing btw), but it looks and sounds promising regardless. The first screenshots with the Disney monsters was a little off-putting but other than that I haven't really got any complaints.

I dislike the Avellone worship cult, but I can't deny he's a good game writer. Apparently it's still not entirely clear what exactly he'll be writing, but it can't be worse than his contributions to WL2. OTOH that game sucked big time in every way, so whatever. When it comes to art, design and code, these russians seem to be in a tier above inxile.

Even if the campaign is essentially just PR, in the end, we're all just end consumers and Kickstarter is bullshit anyway. So what if the game is essentially funded by the russian mob or whatever? Guess what - Kickstarter is run by west coast libtards who couldn't give less of a shit about RPGs.

So I've strongly considered backing but I think I'm holding out until the end. They should release a conceptual pic of the CE box so backers don't get a fucking lunchbox like they got with WL2 (which, as I've already said, sucked in every way - including game box).

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Embarrassing.

Exactly, she is represented in pretty much any Pathfinder rulebook as a barbarian archetype. Probably part of the recent fighting girl fad.

Rest of the artwork is decent.
And I thought that developers are trying to compensate for something :roll:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I'm not so sure. As far as i know My.com's business model is exclusively f2p so they are probably extremely reluctant to fund a single-player game.
My.com is not committed to invest in Owlcat as my.com's business model is as of yet exclusively free-to-play.

I'd agree that they don't need more money from backers, as their funding is nearly secured and the game is not truly in need of stretch goals. Whether to back it now depends mostly on whether you want to see the stretch goals in the game.
Mail.ru issued a press release that their company runs a Kickstarter. How much more sure do you need?

Edit: From their press-release: "Owlcat Games was founded in 2016 as a part of pilot initiative of My.com."

There is Russian mail.ru posting too, in FB groups and all over the place.

Last edited:

Quantomas

Savant
I'm not so sure. As far as i know My.com's business model is exclusively f2p so they are probably extremely reluctant to fund a single-player game.

Mail.ru issued a press release that their company runs a Kickstarter. How much more sure do you need?

Edit: From their press-release: "Owlcat Games was founded in 2016 as a part of pilot initiative of My.com."

There is Russian mail.ru posting too, in FB groups and all over the place.
How does that prove that my.com would invest in Kingmaker's kingdom gameplay if the Kickstarter failed?

Wasn't the entire point that companies with sufficient capital, or studios at least partially owned by them, have no legit business on Kickstarter? I don't agree with this premise anyway. Larian said they do not need the money from the KS, but the merit they see in it is involving the backers early during development. What if Firaxis or Bioware would launch a pilot project with a team that is given creative freedom, no obligation to meet publisher milestones, but given basic funding only? Isn't the critical criteria for independence creative freedom and non-interference from a publisher? Any game company is owned by someone.

PrettyDeadman

Brilliant explanation! For a moment I though OwlCat got themselves into a sticky situation with the new of mycom involvement into their activities becoming public.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't care if it's billionaire Hitler and Stalin making a game. I'd still give them money if it interested me. Kickstarter was never anti-"rules of capitalism". There were never any rules for Kickstarter.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I only want to show the connection between mail.ru and this campaign. I hope for the best too but so far any game that mail.ru or my.com touched turned into the most ugly money sucking machine. For this reason I don't play any games they make (like many other players in Russia) and have reasons to be sceptical about any of their projects. But I don't advocate anything, maybe it's good to give them a chance, who knows. The world definitely needs more decent RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom