Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pathfinder Adventures card game

Reapa

Doom Preacher
are you serious obsidian? are you serious?

here's my complaint, for anyone who never heard of this game:
it's a card based, party based(!!!) rpg in which you have to buy characters for your party :D / :retarded: you know, like a pay to win freemium kind of game but which costs about 17$ first. there also seems to be some nice horse armor dlc to boot.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Don't care. Obsidian is trash ever since POE.

Mask of the Betrayer is their only truly great RPG.

But what they did with BioWare's Aurora engine is pretty pathetic. All they had to do was enhance it, and what they churned out was pretty much a bloated yet gimped grotesquerie that frustrates people to this day (Electron).

J1M

Arcane
Pleasantly surprised with this product. It has the strongest feeling of risk vs. reward and choice/consequence of anything I've played this year. I think the fact it is based on a physical card game probably helped.

My party is fighter, bard, and ranger. I would have liked to include an exorcist, but neither the cleric or paladin on offer were really built for that.

If story is all you care about, then pass on this. I like it for its mechanics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pleasantly surprised with this product. It has the strongest feeling of risk vs. reward and choice/consequence of anything I've played this year. I think the fact it is based on a physical card game probably helped.

My party is fighter, bard, and ranger. I would have liked to include an exorcist, but neither the cleric or paladin on offer were really built for that.

If story is all you care about, then pass on this. I like it for its mechanics.

Maybe I should give this a try anyway? How is the game played - is it predominantly single player or what?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe I should give this a try anyway? How is the game played - is it predominantly single player or what?
Yes. There is a campaign, with story and such, but you can also play randomly generated one-off quests. The latter is the main way to earn gold in the Android version - and you use gold to buy more cards, heroes and further chaptes of the campaign. No idea if it works the same way in the PC version, because I bounced off the paywall here.

J1M

Arcane
Yes. There is a campaign, with story and such, but you can also play randomly generated one-off quests. The latter is the main way to earn gold in the Android version - and you use gold to buy more cards, heroes and further chaptes of the campaign. No idea if it works the same way in the PC version, because I bounced off the paywall here.
The PC version has most (all?) non-DLC cards unlocked when you buy it. My understanding is that this is the experience you would have if you were to buy the physical version and play it as a solo game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got this in the email:

Double down on the Steam Summer Sale with an extra discount and additional content
Fans like you are the reason we get to keep doing the things we love. We can't thank you enough for supporting our games.

Pathfinder Adventures, our latest title, is out on Steam and we're super proud of it. We want our fans to check it out, so we're giving everyone with an Obsidian.net account a 10%-off coupon -- which stacks with the 25% discount already in effect for the Steam Summer Sale (through July 5th), giving a total of 33% off!

Edér and Pallegina Join Pathfinder Adventures!
We're also offering Obsidian fans three exclusive, in-game companion cards, including Edér and Pallegina from Pillars of Eternity.

eder-card.png
pallegina-card.png

In addition, if you're already a Pathfinder Adventures power-player on mobile, we're giving you a free upgrade to the Obsidian Edition on Steam. Qualifying players can get the upgrade through our Pathfinder Ambassador program, and even players who don't qualify will still receive 1000 in-game gold just for verifying their PlayFab ID on the Pathfinder Adventures website.

So, find out more about the Ambassador Program and claim your fan rewards now!

— Your friends at Obsidian Entertainment

Details here: http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/8/entry-203-pathfinder-adventures-ambassador-program-now-live/

Andhaira

Arcane
The PC version has most (all?) non-DLC cards unlocked when you buy it. My understanding is that this is the experience you would have if you were to buy the physical version and play it as a solo game.

Wait, if I purchase the game on steam do I still have to pay for DLC to unlock more cards and more chapters in the campaign? How stupid is that? At least Hearthstone and the like are free to play.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Wait, if I purchase the game on steam do I still have to pay for DLC to unlock more cards and more chapters in the campaign? How stupid is that? At least Hearthstone and the like are free to play.
duuuhhhhh!!! :retarded:
why do you think we bash it so much in this thread? it's the biggest freemium around without even being a freemium...
you probably end up paying over 100$ for a no-name digital card game that doesn't even look good when there are quite a few free ones around and it's being sold by fucking obsidian. it's not even a competitive card game.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

duuuhhhhh!!! :retarded:
why do you think we bash it so much in this thread? it's the biggest freemium around without even being a freemium...
you probably end up paying over 100$ for a no-name digital card game that doesn't even look good when there are quite a few free ones around and it's being sold by fucking obsidian. it's not even a competitive card game.
Buying it on steam will unlock 1200+ cards and the campaign (6+1 chapters). As someone who never played the physical game or android version, I found $20 to be a very fair price for this product. The amount of time and enjoyment I had with it exceeds most games released these days.

Basically, the android version has a dumb payment model because that's what people want on phones. The PC version has a PC payment model. For comparison, buying the actual cards for "Rise of the Runelords" will cost you about $180. http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventureCardGame/riseOfTheRunelords

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I know this is a mobile port with no marketing whatsoever, but steamspy shows only 9k owners... quite sad for an Obsidian title. :/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, this is actually a very fun and enjoyable game (I really like board/card games), however it IS very niche. It's also a LOT more complicated, instead of easy shitty quick cash grab games.

Pity the number are so low...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Goblins Galore! Rise of the Goblins Now Available for Pathfinder Adventures

IRVINE, Calif. – Aug. 2, 2018 – Obsidian Entertainment and Asmodee Digital today announced the launch of Rise of the Goblins, a new content pack for Pathfinder Adventures on PC, iOS, and Android devices. The Rise of the Goblins offers a new adventure that puts players in the shoes of new goblin characters as they embark on a twisting tale of mischief and mayhem.

Rise of the Goblins is available now at a special launch price of $5.99 ($8.99 after this week) for PC, Mac, iOS and Android. Purchase and download links for Pathfinder Adventures are below:

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/539591/Pathfinder_Adventures__Rise_of_the_Goblins/

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pathfinder-adventures/id966333863?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.obsidian.pacg1&hl=en

Rise of the Goblins tells the other side of the Pathfinder Adventure story, and puts players in charge of the goblin attack on Sandpoint that kicks off the Rise of the Runelords campaign. Pathfinder Adventures players will get the opportunity to wreck the havoc they attempted to solve as Pathfinder’s legendary Iconic characters in the beginning of Rise of the Runelords, using updated cards that turn former barriers into boons, and vice versa. Drawing inspiration from the We Be Goblins! module for the Pathfinder tabletop RPG, Rise of the Goblins’ full-length campaign will give players the chance to experience the same type of engaging stories that brought the original Iconics to life – only this time, everyone is a goblin!

Veterans of the physical Pathfinder Adventures game will recognize Ranzak from the Skull & Shacklesadventure deck and Poog from the Goblin Burn! deck, the two new goblin Iconics available for players to use in both the Rise of the Runelords and Rise of the Goblins campaigns. Ranzak and Poog have unique classes and powers from the other Iconic characters, and goblin versions of the original Iconics have also been added for players to build out their parties. Further building on the theme, Rise of the Goblins introduces new visual components (including a set of distinctly goblinoid dice) and gameplay updates to make the goblins feel even more real.

Also from a blog post last month: http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/8/entry-204-pathfinder-adventures-rise-of-the-goblins

The Future

The next content after our goblin deck is still being designed (and possibly named something else) but it is currently being called a Side Quest and is going to be character specific. Meaning you can do them with different sized parties but it requires the character of focus to be in the party.

While this is subject to change, we plan on opening up with a series of five scenarios that explore some events that befall Valeros (he does have an interesting backstory) and culminate in unique rewards and a new character added to the roster.

Who that character is has been currently narrowed down to one of two choices but they will be coming from the Fighter Class Deck and it isn't another version of Valeros, so that's your hint.

Hmmm, maybe we'll open it up to a popularity vote or something in the future. No promises though!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:necro:

So after reluctantly giving up on Phoenix Point after giving it so many honest attempts to earn my adoration, I needed something I could learn fairly quickly and play for a couple of days until I start playing Gloomhaven with my friends. I wondered if I should play Tales from Candlekeep, went to the Codex-thread and saw the lukewarm reception as well as J1M 's post stating he didn't get addicted to it like he did with Pathfinder Adventures. That's when I remembered I still had this sitting in my inventory (maybe after being gifted it by Infinitron or somesuch? I surely never bought it) and decided to give it another go after never really playing it.

Long story short, I'm very glad i did. This game is pretty fucking amazing given how simple (and criminally underbought) it is. It has some low-development-effort wonkiness, but it's nothing that gets really annoying or unmanagable, and on the flip side, the mechanics of the game are highly compelling.

The only problem I have with it is an over-reliance on something called Blessings (d6 bonuses to rolls which are kind of a necessary duct tape fix for some minor holes in the mechanics). Other than that, the game is great. Give it a go if you're a tabletop kind of dude.

In essence, this looks to be something that the market (and the Codex) dismissed as mobile trash cash grabbing but which is actually a pretty great game packaged in a decent development effort given the circumstances.

EDIT: Also, it is a crime against humanity that this never got multiplayer functionality. Would be so fun.

TigerKnee

Arcane
If I'm not wrong, they ended up completely fucking with the monetization system so you can't earn gold to unlock things anymore but buying all the card packs etc is also overpriced in terms of real money, so they kind of dealt the death blow to the game themselves.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If I'm not wrong, they ended up completely fucking with the monetization system so you can't earn gold to unlock things anymore but buying all the card packs etc is also overpriced in terms of real money, so they kind of dealt the death blow to the game themselves.

The treasure chests are a completely odd implementation in general. I'm not really sure what the point is. But you can definetely complete the game without it - none of those cards are in the tabletop version. In any case, you still earn gold and can buy chests just fine :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom