Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

Jazz_

Arcane
Thanks Xeon, would pussyfist you if I could. Gonna check if there's all that stuff next time I start the game. By the way, I'm flirting with the idea of installing Tamriel Rebuilt, does adding all that stuff affect the performance considerably tho?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Rebirth kinda sucks in that just just adds places without linking quests or other meaningful interaction (it's 'script free' to avoid messing with other mods). Having more stuff is nice but more 'deadweight' space isn't what Morrowind needs. Bigger Seyda Neen for instance is just more houses and flavor NPCs with the same generic dialogue.

Would love to see a mod to make "Rebirth" come alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazz_

Arcane
Rebirth kinda sucks in that just just adds places without linking quests or other meaningful interaction (it's 'script free' to avoid messing with other mods). Having more stuff is nice but more 'deadweight' space isn't what Morrowind needs. Bigger Seyda Neen for instance is just more houses and flavor NPCs with the same generic dialogue.

Would love to see a mod to make "Rebirth" come alive.

what are some mods you would suggest then? if any.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Well I got the Overhaul mod to work but I'm having trouble with the screen resolution at first I had it where I wanted it 1920x1080
Or something but now it reverts back to the vanilla resolutions which are too small. I tried to change it again in the overhaul options and i tried to alter the resolution in the Morrowind directory. Nothing is working, any help?

Xeon

Augur
That didn't happen to me when I played with overhaul, you probably tried to change something and it defaulted or something. Morrowind Code Patch adds support for wider screen to choose from in-game option but the Code patch in the overhaul is outdated.

There is this guide on how to update the overhaul. IIRC there was a program for the graphics setting added with overhaul in the Morrowind directory, maybe try that if updating files seem too much work.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
That didn't happen to me when I played with overhaul, you probably tried to change something and it defaulted or something. Morrowind Code Patch adds support for wider screen to choose from in-game option but the Code patch in the overhaul is outdated.

There is this guide on how to update the overhaul. IIRC there was a program for the graphics setting added with overhaul in the Morrowind directory, maybe try that if updating files seem too much work.

Okay thank you I'll try the guide but yeah I did try the directory to know avail I might just reinstall the overhaul.

Comte

Thinking of starting a new game of Morrowind I am only interested in patches and fix mods. Which one should I get? Also where? I remember the last fan patch I used also fixed the resolution of the books in game.

Keye_

Educated
Thinking of starting a new game of Morrowind I am only interested in patches and fix mods. Which one should I get? Also where? I remember the last fan patch I used also fixed the resolution of the books in game.

Morrowind Code Patch. ( http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/? )
Patch project. ( http://www.theassimilationlab.com/f...0-previous-patches-unofficial-morrowind-patch )

These are the two most important ones. Morrowind Code Patch has the option to fix book resolutions. It has lots of other options that are not 'vanilla', but those are disabled by default I believe.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
These are the two most important ones. Morrowind Code Patch has the option to fix book resolutions. It has lots of other options that are not 'vanilla', but those are disabled by default I believe.
MCP is completely modular and splits options into bugfixes and modifications, the latter are all disabled by default. Even the non-vanilla behaviours are pretty well thought out though and I've used some in the past.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Hi, I might not be in the best thread regarding to my question however I'm using MGSO in my current play and would have a few questions concerning its performance for later...

So here's the question. I met this argonian who pretends to be a slave on the run. A few odd details about him made me suspicious so I decided not to bring him directly to the kind redguard. I was walking around when I accidently realised he was tough (at least compared to me since I'm level 3) and I decided to use him as a volunteer bodyguard. Since I had an unfinished quest in molag amur and my last trek there had been a total failure I said "mmmh I bring you to the kind redguard ASAP but before I just have to make a stop in Marrandus yu know buy stuff" and here I am with Tul Geckoface following me all along to molag amur (Tul was like "is it much further ? " and I was like "no, not far now" ). But at some point we got surrounded by half a dozen cliff racers and a scamp and I lost him. I passed a hill pushed by those damn birds and some new area loaded, and I fell down hill, couldn't climb back, got lazy and impatient, left him there thinking he would run behind. Now it's been some time and I have no news from this ill mannered Gekko face.

So, here's my question (now) : is there a way (a console chat code por soimethin) to locate a NPC or to teleport it next to you or maybe to revive it ? After all this fight I've left him in might have been lethal (Scamps seems to be immune to non magical weapons and Tul is fighting bare handed --> problems).

Coming back from my trek in Molag Amur I went directly to the kind redguard hoping Tul would appear out of thin air because of some cod or whatnot but no, he's been missing for real. Not a big lost for Tamriel but Morrowind's low leveliing is a grind and any XP is good to take.

Great game by the way : the setting is so atmospheric and fantastic Skyrim feels like some skiing class compare to it.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Coming back from my trek in Molag Amur I went directly to the kind redguard hoping Tul would appear out of thin air because of some cod or whatnot but no, he's been missing for real. Not a big lost for Tamriel but Morrowind's low leveliing is a grind and any XP is good to take.
First of all, Morrowind doesn't have XP. :M You level up through advancing your chosen skills, as in the other Elder Scrolls games.

Second, you can use the in-game console to solve many problems with Morrowind (and later games, such as New Vegas, based on Morrowind's game engine). Open the console by pressing the ~ key (or whatever is to the left of 1 on your keyboard). Type: placeatpc "tul" 1 100 0, then press enter. This will make Tul appear in front of you, but he will be a duplicate, with the original still in whatever location you left him. If you ever run into the original, open the console, click on him, and type disable.

Great game by the way : the setting is so atmospheric and fantastic Skyrim feels like some skiing class compare to it.
+M

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I've been trying rebirth out for the past few days and holy shit this mod makes the game impossible. This jackass doubled the cost of training, raised all of the merchant's mercantile skills so they rip you off even more, jacked up fast travel prices, fucked with a bunch of the rare artifacts to make them weak, managed to make the enchanting skill even more impossible and worthless, seemingly quadrupled the cost for enchanters to enchant items, lowered enchant value on all items, removed all of the useful constant effect enchant options, doubled the time it takes to level a bunch of skills, made almost all enemies significantly stronger, fucked with the mudcrab and creeper merchants to basically make them useless (creeper doesn't even buy alcohol anymore WTF?!?), and most baffling off all; NERF'D THE SPEED ATTRIBUTE SO PEOPLE RUN EVEN SLOWER!! The list goes on..

Seriously wtf man! I was expecting some cool expanded cities and a few new quests and maybe making the game slightly more challenging but this is ridiculous, the game's basically unplayable. I've completed every quest for every faction that my character could do and I'm still broke AF, undergeared, overencumbered, and underskilled to the point where the factions won't promote me until i 'train'. But training a level 20 skill to 21 costs about 600 gold??

I think I'm going to uninstall this crap and maybe give BTB a shot or something else, not sure if its changes are quite so drastic. Annoying when modders compromise the game in order to remove exploits that less than 1% of the players even know yet alone use.

Jaz

Educated
Used this beast of a guide to mod Morrowind: https://pastebin.com/7gF2VLaf + trainwhiz guide
Unfortunately now I'm dealing with the following crap:
Some orks have invisible bodies, except for head and limbs (some mesh/texture problem with a mod, but I may fix it or I'll just ignore it)
AND
everytime the music tracks change (e.g. from exploration to combat music), the game freezes for 1 sec. This happens on every transition and is quite the deal breaker.

If anyone knows a fix for the latter issue, pls share :\

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
My fix is don't use beast of a guides to mod Morrowind.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
What's the best version of MGE? MGE XE seems to be buggy af, e.g. it starts the launcher twice every time I launch the game, it makes the game crash every time I quit Morrowind, turning anti-aliasing on incurs a huge FPS drop, even at 8x, WTF, I don't remember it being so bad.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Your call. If you want to play an optomized game for modern tech or watch a pretty slideshow.
I mean I might as well just play without MGE and get 9999 FPS. Why bother with a half finished fan engine.

EDIT: I was wrong, OpenMW is fucking awesome.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
You'll end up modding the shit out of it for days, just for it to crash anyway. Might as well save yourself the trouble and quit, or play the game in a source that doesn't have those issues to begin with.

- Galsiah's Character Development standard, Don't like the leveling system of the base game so kinda trying out this one, so far so good, hope it keeps at it.

Maybe relevant for some:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comments/4ml8cy/what_is_the_latest_version_of_galsiahs_character/

The latest official version is 1.08 but I recommend the Gluby edit 1.08 with startscript. http://mw.modhistory.com/download-55-6955. This version was done with Galsiah's approval and retains the customize script. The lean version is very lightweight but does not have easy customizing capability.

What does the lean version "lose" over the regular one? What customization? I've never touched anything on GSD before.

What advantages does 2.04 have over 1.08? Is it less heavy? Less buggy?

The main difference between the two is that the lean version (as I understand it) takes the tables from the customize script and hard codes them into the main script to save operations and code size. There doesn't seem to be any difference in performance in game though. Therefore I prefer the Gluby version because of the customizing potential. The customize script, GALS_CUSTOMIZE_SCRIPT can be opened and edited in the CS. It is very well documented and lets you change just about everything the mod does (within well defined and described limits).

edit:

I think I'm going to uninstall this crap and maybe give BTB a shot or something else, not sure if its changes are quite so drastic. Annoying when modders compromise the game in order to remove exploits that less than 1% of the players even know yet alone use.

BTB's mod by itself won't change the economy much IIRC (his changes to gear and spell values might change the base prices), but he suggests mods that will have a similar effect. Personally most of the Rebirth balance/economy changes sound good to me, it's not a very hard game to begin with and the third most common complaint about Morrowind (after Caius Cosades and the dwemer puzzle box) is that you're soon swimming in money since all the good stuff is either a quest reward, found on some cave or can be stolen with little difficulty. Creeper and Mudcrab are also cheat mode so you need to remove them if you want your economy changes to mean anything. I doubt the change to speed really make much of a difference since everyone not playing furry/scalie uses the Sanic boots anyway.

YSTqM2V.jpg

Gotta go fast~

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
What about OpenMW's compatibility with existing mods? All plugins should work, no?

I think I could do a small playthru with just "Always Plus 5 Modifier" to scratch my nostalgia itch.

Don't really care for all the max grafikk mods, they make Morrowind look like a completely different game, with a disjointed art direction to boot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom