Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paid mods are back - Bethesda's "Creation Club" for Fallout 4 and Skyrim

DeepOcean

Arcane
The rage and fury this paid mods scheme from Bethesda here on the codex is hilarious, "TODD, YOU BETRAYED US!":lol:

Calm down guise, loverslab will remain free because Sony and Microsoft don't wanna the dongs.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
This guy will be making mad bank!

This isn't surprising. Bethesda has gotten away with minimal effort/lazy design since Morrowind because they know modders will simply pick up the slack and develop the content the ACTUAL paid developers should be making in the first place. Now Todd and company can profit off of the fruits of the labors of others on a per-transaction basis instead of just the overall growth in game sales mods typically yield.

Fools and their money, soon parted, etc.
FFS, paying for a settlement. Why wouldnt bethesda just hire modders to make expansions and other things theyre too incapable of nowadays

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
The rage and fury this paid mods scheme from Bethesda here on the codex is hilarious, "TODD, YOU BETRAYED US!":lol:

Calm down guise, loverslab will remain free because Sony and Microsoft don't wanna the dongs.
IIRC The creation club is only for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4. So skyrim original, is safe from Bethesdas greedy clappers.

Grimlorn

Arcane

It's more that people here have the foresight to see that if Bethesda succeeds here every major gaming company is going to do the same thing with the rest of their games. You know like DLC, season passes, releasing buggy unfinished games, downgrading graphics, etc.

Sure you can be as smug and dismissive as you want, but it just makes you look like a retard.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FFS, paying for a settlement. Why wouldnt bethesda just hire modders to make expansions and other things theyre too incapable of nowadays
Why add someone to the payroll and incur additional costs like health insurance, 401k, etc. when you can pay some modder peanuts per sale?

Vorark

Erudite
1) Release a framework (aka "game")
2) Hype the Creation Club
3) ???
4) Profit.

As the saying goes in Morrowind, why walk when you can ride?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
DCjEq3CXgAE3St0.jpg

Guten morgen, can I see proof of purchase for those mods you're running?

imweasel

Bethesda scumbags are at it again lol.

They want to make millions off of mods and pay the guys, who make their games playable, next to nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbv123

Arbiter
Can't wait to give Todd all my neetbux so I can finally legally install and play those anime mods for Skyrim

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Why add someone to the payroll and incur additional costs like health insurance, 401k, etc. when you can pay some modder peanuts per sale?
Thanks pete.
Can't wait to give Todd all my neetbux so I can finally legally install and play those anime mods for Skyrim
So it's you endorsing all those weird fucking anime companions who speak japanese and talk about rice and bentos.

Quillon

Arcane
Couple modders who made this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23845/? thinks mods are about fun & creativity & should be free; in an interview with a turkish gaming site: http://oyungezer.com.tr/haber/49735-fallout-4-pilgrim-roportaj

They state the fact that there are a lot of copiers appeared with paid mods news and complain about players demanding from them & say that they don't owe players anything and it should stay this way. "Paid mods would make things worse for everyone involved" one of them say.

In yo face Bethestard.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Couple modders who made this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23845/? thinks mods are about fun & creativity & should be free; in an interview with a turkish gaming site: http://oyungezer.com.tr/haber/49735-fallout-4-pilgrim-roportaj

They state the fact that there are a lot of copiers appeared with paid mods news...
Future modders will be less obliging to share their assets, or decide, if they're making resources, they might as well go p2p, so if they leave the community their work's not going to profit someone else.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Anyone who spends a substantial portion of their free time modifying this garbage for a hobby is going to want compensation for their tears.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Well there is people that defend this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hLmM6pK0wg
To break down the video, TotalBiscuit makes the distinction between mods and third-party content. Creation Club content creators (say that three times fast) will be working for Bethesda as outside contractors for a wage. It is Bethesda themselves who are responsible for quality assurance because they'll own the content. Additionally all content must be new and original.

So they're outsourcing labour and offering jobs in our post-apocalyptic economy. Those bastards. :argh:

I have no idea if this is accurate, Bethesda did such a piss poor job of explaining things as usual. The website is of no help.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I have no idea if this is accurate, Bethesda did such a piss poor job of explaining things as usual. The website is of no help.

It's entirely accurate, and it's outlined on the Creation Club website, like has been stated several hundred times already and mostly ignored each time it's brought up. I think because the fear here is that modders will all switch over to this Creation Club model and effectively become paid Bethesda employees, but I just don't really buy that. I don't see overhauls (graphics and gameplay), sex mods, unofficial patches, etc, being supported by this model because it undermines their own competency and whatnot.

• What is the Creation Club?
    Creation Club is a collection of all-new content for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons.

• What types of content will be included in Creation Club?
    Creation Club will feature a wide variety of content including but not limited to:
    • WEAPONS: New weapons, material skins, parts, etc.
    • APPAREL: New outfits, armor, and items for your character.
    • WORLD: New locations, decorations, foliage, etc.
    • CHARACTERS: New abilities, characters, companions, etc.
    • CREATURES: New enemies, mounts, pets, etc.
    • GAMEPLAY: New types of gameplay like survival mode, etc.
  • What platforms will Creation Club support?
    Creation Club will be available in Summer 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC for Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition.

• How do I get Creation Club content?
    Creation Club is available via in-game digital marketplaces in both Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition and purchased with Credits. Credits are available for purchase on PSN, Xbox Live, and Steam. Your Credits are transferable and can be used in both games on the same platform.

• Can I become a Creator?
    Whether you are a professional developer, artist, or modder; you can apply to be a Creator here. Be ready to share work you’ve already done as part of your application.
  • If I’m accepted to be a Creator, what can I create and what is the dev process?
    Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.
  • Are Creators Paid For Their Work?
    Yes. Just like our own game developers, Creators are paid for their work and start receiving payment as soon as their proposal is accepted and through development milestones.
  • Is Creation Club paid mods?
    No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content. Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators. All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together. We’ve looked at many ways to do “paid mods”, and the problems outweigh the benefits. We’ve encountered many of those issues before. But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

source

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you guys see the examples they used in the video? It's basically low class mods sold for money, so it's no wonder people just straight up say no to this.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Console mods was just affront to their main goal allowing paid mods. Console plebes are more likely to accept paid mods than glorious
pc gaming connoisseurs.

To give you example minecraft console version is already doing this and soon pc minecraft will do this as well. as long as you keep
buying the shit beth makes you will forever be mark as a consumerist pleb who allow big business to trample your rights and take
your hard earned dinero.

DeepOcean

Arcane

It's more that people here have the foresight to see that if Bethesda succeeds here every major gaming company is going to do the same thing with the rest of their games. You know like DLC, season passes, releasing buggy unfinished games, downgrading graphics, etc.

Sure you can be as smug and dismissive as you want, but it just makes you look like a retard.
Sure, but DLC, always online, microtransactions, releasing unfinished games, downgrading graphics are only negative to the consumers, there is nothing positive about those practices, they are measures designed to only improve the bottom lines of those companies without adding value. Having some form of rewarding modders, even if Bethesda takes a cut, isn't exactly like that, it has its downsides as its upsides. People need to pay attention, I'm full aware of the potential jewery with mercenary attitudes of "Buy my shining horse armor!" on an extreme but I don't support this "I need mah free stuff and I demand other people to work for free for mah enjoyment!" attitude that some people have on the other extreme.

It depends how things gonna roll, honestly, some people talk as if the mods for FREE on Nexus were worthy much of anything, most are low quality garbage and those that aren't, like Requiem, I would be fine into paying, a reasonable price of course, if it was updated and worked upon with consistency, of course, Bethesda could have their Jewish money grubbing hands over the whole thing and fuck it all up but right now we aren't between free utopia and Bethesda money grubby hands, we are between be fine with garbage and the rare good things that take 10 years to make or by rewarding the modders, maybe they are willing to actually work hard at is as it became an actual career. It is all on Bethesda to fuck it up or not.

I don't like to jump on the bandwagon here, obviously this could become something awful with modders being pulled from making interesting mods into making money with horse armor, I don't think Bethesda is above that. However, the idea of people actually making a real career earning real money and releasing finished, polished and worthy content instead of half finished messes that take 10 years to make, that is pretty interesting. I would easily buy Fall from Heaven, Caveman to Cosmos, Long War, Misery 1.0, Requiem or Enderal if the modders in question actually bothered into making their mods, full, polished products instead of messes that only work half the time and are absolutely incoherent the other half.

About the slippery slope argument, guise, wake up, right now, Take Two sent a cease and desist letter to the guys that made the software that pretty much most GTA 4 and 5 mods depend upon, pretty much killing the entire modding scene, the reason? Your single player stuff is taking players away from our online "experience" of selling cars that you will need real money to unlock so it needs to die. It isn't that other companies have huge thriving modding communities that they are planning to exploit, those companies want modding dead, they want everything to be a multiplayer service or have a multiplayer service attached to it. Why having other people making the micro transaction if you yourself could do it?

but I don't support this "I need mah free stuff and I demand other people to work for free for mah enjoyment!" attitude that some people have on the other extreme.

But modders don't HAVE to make mods. They don't have to maintain them, either. There's nothing preventing the Requiem guys from deleting fucking everything and disappearing. All we can do is bitch from the sidelines for a short while like we do for eveything else. The idea that the community is holding modders hostage is FAKE NEWS! We just have nothing to gain from it, even modders will be jewed harder than they would at a regular job since Bethesda's "assistance" is gonna be useless (good modders are probably more competent than the interns tasked to answer their questions)

Mods are nice and modders will receive thankful messages from people who enjoy their stuff, but ultimately it's something they chose to spend their time with for their own amusement (and sometimes ego) so when they start bitching about ungrateful users I just roll my eyes.

About the slippery slope argument, guise, wake up, right now, Take Two sent a cease and desist letter to the guys that made the software that pretty much most GTA 4 and 5 mods depend upon, pretty much killing the entire modding scene, the reason? Your single player stuff is taking players away from our online "experience" of selling cars that you will need real money to unlock so it needs to die. It isn't that other companies have huge thriving modding communities that they are planning to exploit, those companies want modding dead, they want everything to be a multiplayer service or have a multiplayer service attached to it. Why having other people making the micro transaction if you yourself could do it?

I'm not sure if this is a point for or against your argument. It's another company trying to exercise control over modding scene, only without Beth's promises to be nice about it.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Console mods was just affront to their main goal allowing paid mods. Console plebes are more likely to accept paid mods than glorious
pc gaming connoisseurs.

To give you example minecraft console version is already doing this and soon pc minecraft will do this as well. as long as you keep
buying the shit beth makes you will forever be mark as a consumerist pleb who allow big business to trample your rights and take
your hard earned dinero.
what rights?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So instead of paid mod we will get endless DLCs,what an improvement!I did enjoyed TB's content back in the days,but this days he just acts like driveling buffoon.No matter how you dress it,it is mod being paid paid for their mod aka paid mods.Now if they are hired then they are mods no more but people who work for Bethesda.Also i don't believe that normal mods will disappear because most mods are doing it as a hobby and have real job.If they wanted to make it good Bethesda should have made it like subscription (5 bucks a moth or 50 a year) and the revenue should be cut between the modders based on number of downloads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom