Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini Warlords

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe he could be convinced to release Starshatter source code? If he doesn't release the art assets too, then people will still have to buy the game, and everyone wins. Or maybe he is one of those people who hates open source. Hard to tell sometimes.
he did already.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Can you get companions (aka warmasters) in free roaming?
Boarding is a bit better than it used to, as you can decided whether to retreat, pillage, or keep advancing at each stage.
Yes. You start with Tara and after playing for a while I had some Asian chick show up and ask to hire on; I'm assuming that the rate that you come across them is tied to how much territory you control. I'm taking a break and waiting for the big updates that are supposed to be coming before I play any more.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Can you get companions (aka warmasters) in free roaming?
Boarding is a bit better than it used to, as you can decided whether to retreat, pillage, or keep advancing at each stage.
Yes. You start with Tara and after playing for a while I had some Asian chick show up and ask to hire on; I'm assuming that the rate that you come across them is tied to how much territory you control. I'm taking a break and waiting for the big updates that are supposed to be coming before I play any more.
What did they promise for the big update?
I really wish for better fleet control at least.
Meanwhile, Void Destroyer 2 seems promising.

Last edited:

lefthandblack

Arcane
What did they promise for the big update?
I really wish for better fleet control at least.
Meanwhile, Void Destroyer 2 seems promising.

https://af.gog.com/forum/starpoint_gemini_warlords/update_v1030_changelog?as=1649904300:
you can expect a nice big free content update, that's coming in the next 2-3 weeks. This means bounties and the whole bounty-hunting mechanic. We'll have more details for you on this at a later date, but we just wanted you to know that we're working on more than just fixes and tweaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

lefthandblack

Arcane
But nothing regarding fleet control? That is currently the main issue for me.

What are you expecting? You can direct them on the starmap and use the shift key to queue orders. You can order a fleet following you to use different formations. The only thing I've found that is sorely lacking is a universal retreat command for those times when you bite off more than you can chew. Some more options would be welcome but I don't think the game was ever billed as a full fledged strategy game; I wouldn't hold my breath.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
But nothing regarding fleet control? That is currently the main issue for me.

What are you expecting? You can direct them on the starmap and use the shift key to queue orders. You can order a fleet following you to use different formations. The only thing I've found that is sorely lacking is a universal retreat command for those times when you bite off more than you can chew. Some more options would be welcome but I don't think the game was ever billed as a full fledged strategy game; I wouldn't hold my breath.
I expect something less bland:
The scale of the star map does not really let you plan tactical maneuver. You can only send one fleet against another one, or a space station.
Even without going full Homeworld 2, Starshatter, Void Destroyer 2, or Carrier Command managed to handle a much more detailed tactical component.
The worst is that I don't think it would be that difficult to add in SPGW. Having a more detailed zoom to allow some more accurate fleet maneuver, and adding some targeting command (toggle use heavy weapons, focus on large or small ships, set orbiting distance from target on top of the existing mark and follow) would add a much needed depth to fleet combat IMO.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Decent features and mechanics, but these guys have no idea on how to design a UI, not adding voice overs when they suck, and those skyboxes? I saw something better from indies in 2005. Why are so clueless? Still, gona try it again for features, maybe ill like it this time...

Update: Saw a video with Warlords, the UI is much better. THOSE SKYBOXES?!! Lmao, i ve seen better in prototype games made in one week, thats encouraging. Combat is still shit, far away from a decent game. Played a bit of Rebel Galaxy (not sure who is copying who), but seems better overall, but not with the territory features at first look. Both mediocre games... Ill rather played the broken x3 albion again, than these wannabe space sandboxy games. I have a huge hunger for a good x3 sandbox game, but none has the balls and talent to make a good one so far...

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Question: I enjoyed Starpoint Gemini 2 very much (loved how you could board ships and commandeer/acquire them like a true space pirate) so will I enjoy Warlords? I'll say right off that I'm not a fan of 4X games and mechanics requiring excessive resource management, I generally find them too complex and difficult, so some of the comments about Warlords concern me. Is is radically different and more difficult than SG2?

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Hi people, LGM Games CM here!

I just wanted to notify you that we're preparing a big 2.0 update, due to release this month. There'll be new equipment, new ship, improvements for the game controller, hints for new players, fixes and new diplomacy system. Until now, ambassadors have only reacted to player but now they'll be making threats, declarations of war, trading offers and other delightful proposals to the player.

If you have any questions about new update or the game, I'd be happy to answer them.

Edit: 2.0 update is due for April 23rd!

Last edited:

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Update 2.0 is out.

We improved diplomacy mechanics, added hints for new players, improved control scheme on a game controller, new localizations and more. Check out the complete list of changes in the 2.0 release version:

Diplomacy

- it works both ways. AI ambassadors will be able to contact you first, make demands, threats or offer help
- neutral or allied factions might even declare war on you, depending on your actions
- of course, if you've been especially nice to them, they could ask you to be an ally
- they might also offer to help you to recover a part of lost fleet or a station
- Proxima research and development will influence other's faction opinion about you. Some factions will feel threatened and ask you to stop, others might strategically ally with you

These changes work for all the save games, except the ones that are currently tied to the story campaign. This content is locked for them because it would directly affect the game and game's story.

Improvements for game controllers

- scrolling with the controller on Info menu list is now available
- RECORDS Bonuses can now be scrolled with the controller
- Press View button on the controller to reveal hints on Starchart

Hints for new players

- hint for Command Points on Starchart
- hint for SuperCapital Ship on Starchart
- hint for Civilian tasks on Starchart
- hints for FOW, Camera and Select modes on small HUD icons added (previously available only on the mouse)
- hint on Trader menu for Double-click and Shift-click options added
-hint on a station; it says Toggle Station Interface instead of Toggle Station HUD

Localization

- Rise of Numibia DLC has received a German, Russian, Chinese and French localization
- German dialogues (vanilla) have been fixed
- Chinese localization has been completely fixed
- Japanese localization in form of a mod for vanilla version of the game

The rest

- NEW GAME Story Campaign and FREEROAM modes are now separated, if you're playing Vanilla game or any DLC, except Cycle of Warfare
- SHIPBUILDING interface button is disabled until you obtain a Hangar Level 1 in HQ, with an explanation why
- wormhole civilian tasks are improved on align change
- fixed and re-added troopers menu
- improved font readability in certain cases (better kerning)

Fixes

- fixed GPU related causes of crashes, especially on weaker GPUs
- fixed one small memory leak
- fixed a cause of performance drain in script system affecting long play sessions
- fixed several minor visual glitches
- fixed several Mod problems + improved output warnings and errors caused by mods

P.S. We hope we're not being too spammy in this thread, mods. Even though this is a double-post, we still feel it might add value for our fans here since this is a completely free update for existing owners of Steam version. Of course, you decide if the post will stay up or not and we'll respect that decision.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Really tempted to grab this right now as it's only $12. Anyone play this recently, or even try out the new update today?

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Jinn
Poos

I may be biased, but I'd say it's a steal.:P

JK, here's some basic info about the game.

Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a (premium) blend of various genres: space exploration, 3rd person capital spaceship combat, fleet management, freelance missions, RPG elements and 4X strategy. Base game features a story campaign, which serves as a sort of in-game tutorial, and several free roam scenarios, that give you a space sandbox to play in. Campaign lasts about 20-25 hours for an average player, while you can hypothetically play the free roam scenario(s) endlessly. Campaign will give you a taste of conquering, trading, building your empire, executing freelance missions, fighting solo and with fleet against other fleets and challenging opponents... But in a free roam scenario you can basically play as you want.

In addition to that, there are four DLCs and digital deluxe upgrade (OST, artbook, posters, wallpapers...). Titans Return is a DLC which adds 4 Titan class ships (bigger than anything in vanilla), Deadly Dozen brings 12 new bounties (challenging opponents), in Cycle of Warfare you get to play with five different factions (including alien warlords which goal is to exterminate all humans), while Rise of Numibia brings a new campaign, area, planets to explore. Of course, there are also mods.

Well, that would be the basics. If there's anything else you want to ask, just feel free to do so. ;)

flyingjohn

Arcane
I know this is probably offtopic but, is there any chance for a collab game with croteam considering both studios are from Croatia?
Usput,svaka cast sto koristite svoj engine umjesto unity/unreal.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
I know this is probably offtopic but, is there any chance for a collab game with croteam considering both studios are from Croatia?
Usput,svaka cast sto koristite svoj engine umjesto unity/unreal.
Well, I really can't say what will happen in the future but never say never. ;)

We started at the time when game engines were unreasonably expensive for indie teams so we had to develop our own. It was more of a necessity. :D We don't discriminate against other engines, though. Making your own engine vs. using a popular one is a long debate but, in short, each approach has its pros and cons.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Hi guys,

We’ll be short and sweet. On August 9 we are releasing a final Starpoint Gemini Warlords DLC which finishes the story.

The DLC basically brings a fresh storyline, story branching, more than six hours of new gameplay, a new faction, new ships, new characters, increased replayability as a result of multiple choices when accepting some story missions, and more.

We’ll publish more details on Thursday :)

It’s the final DLC content for SPGW, which means we’re completely closing the development cycle for the game.

SPGW will of course still be supported and will get all the content on Xbox One.

We are switching to new projects which are in development.

[necro gif]

so.
many.
showstopping.
bugs.

bloodlines went away with 1 because it was a goddamn masterpiece. this one, i already found 3 and quality has yet to come.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom