Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing through TOEE with CO8

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do NOT install the Co8 patch. It adds crap like Cloud's sword (yes, THAT Cloud Strife) and viciously destabilizes your save games, increasing their chances of corrupting with every load. The effect is retroactive, so if you have 1 save corrupted it corrupts all others. Also the 'fine' folk at Co8 use their patch to datamine without permission, so don't connect to the internet if you have it installed (game doesn't need to be running for it to do it's mining)

C08 Patch: Avoid like the fucking plague.
So its better to run vanilla? Or is there some other fan patch?

I never played vanilla, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (I've Temple+ and Co8 installed). But there are still lots of issues. Crashes when fast travelling, NPCs not progressing turns (sometimes to the point where I have to use the console to get out of the fight), encounters starting with enemies two rooms away, NPCs that turn hostile for no reason, etc.

Then there's the fact that genociding legions of bugbears can only hold my attention for so long, but that's got nothing to do with mods.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
Do NOT install the Co8 patch. It adds crap like Cloud's sword (yes, THAT Cloud Strife) and viciously destabilizes your save games, increasing their chances of corrupting with every load. The effect is retroactive, so if you have 1 save corrupted it corrupts all others. Also the 'fine' folk at Co8 use their patch to datamine without permission, so don't connect to the internet if you have it installed (game doesn't need to be running for it to do it's mining)

I never played vanilla, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (I've Temple+ and Co8 installed). But there are still lots of issues. Crashes when fast travelling, NPCs not progressing turns (sometimes to the point where I have to use the console to get out of the fight), encounters starting with enemies two rooms away, NPCs that turn hostile for no reason, etc.

Then there's the fact that genociding legions of bugbears can only hold my attention for so long, but that's got nothing to do with mods.

This is actually why you have issues. Play Vanilla with the final, official patch by the devs (which one Troika drv did after Troika went bust; rumor has it he worked on it at his new job)

And honestly speaking, everyone should play a game, especially an rpg, vanilla first, how it was intended to be played. That's been my rule with pnp rpgs too; play it first as it was meant to be played before adding house rules. Many times a pnp game ends up playing better than it reads.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Do NOT install the Co8 patch. It adds crap like Cloud's sword... yada, yada...avoid like the plague
Seriously Andy, aren't you tired of sprouting the exact same old lines EVERY FUCKING TIME ? No wonder you're muslim.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

If you want to make an informed decision regarding the pros (i.e. what bugs you may run into using vanilla), you can refer to the Atari bugs list and Temple+ changelog:
http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/the-atari-buglist.4051/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/temple-changelog.99319/

If you encounter a bug while running the game with the mods, submitting a detailed report is very helpful in getting it fixed, especially if you attach a save game that reliably demonstrates the issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom